http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-17560534BBC News posted:A woman suffered serious burns when petrol ignited as she was decanting it in the kitchen of her York home because her daughter had run out of fuel.
The woman, who is in her 40s, suffered 40% burns in the accident on Moorgate in the Acomb area on Thursday evening.
She has been taken to the burns unit at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield.
A fire service spokesman said: "Her daughter asked her mum for petrol because she had run out. The cooker was on and the fumes ignited."
Station manager Lee Smith, whose Acomb crew attended the fire, said: "The people were cooking their tea and dispensing petrol from a container to a glass jug.
"The vapour then ignited, the jug was then spilt which obviously ignited as well and the person involved in the decanting was consumed by the flames.
"Her daughter phoned 999 and was obviously extremely distressed."
The woman was treated by ambulance personnel in her kitchen before being taken to Pinderfields.
Her condition is not known but a North Yorkshire Fire Service spokesman described the burns as severe.
Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire in the kitchen and removed the remaining petrol.
A North Yorkshire Fire Service spokesman said: "Members of the public should take extreme care when handling and storing petrol and be aware of the risks associated with incorrect use and storage of fuel.
"Never bring petrol inside your home. If you do smell petrol fumes in a garage or outbuilding ventilate the area and make sure nobody smokes or turns electrical switches on or off. The slightest spark could cause an explosion."
It is not known if the woman had been storing petrol in advance of the threat of industrial action by tanker drivers but news of the dispute was followed days later by government minister Francis Maude advising motorists to fill up jerrycans in case of a strike.
This was subsequently clarified by transport minister Mike Penning who said jerrycans could store 20 litres, more than the amount advised for safe home storage.
North Yorkshire Fire Service on Thursday issued a warning about the storage of petrol at domestic properties.
"Fuel should be stored away from the house in either a shed or a garage, well away from people and anywhere where it might be close to a naked flame or other source of ignition," it said.
And this after the government advised the public to store petrol in the garage as a precaution for the possible strikes, nice on Dave!