1. Post #281
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,663 Posts
    Agree. I tried Jimmy's in my map and if you get too close to the particle, it lags horribly.
    overdraw + multi-pass refraction = not good at all.

2. Post #282
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,722 Posts
    Too expensive.
    Very true. It's cool to see but it doesn't have a practical use that isn't laggy as hell.

3. Post #283
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,829 Posts
    Are there any good youtube tutorials out there?

4. Post #284
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,912 Posts
    Are there any good youtube tutorials out there?
    These:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #285
    November 2007
    229 Posts

10,000 particle animation I made to show my NMRIH mates, just because I felt like it. May wanna 1080p it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

6. Post #286
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    5,656 Posts

10,000 particle animation I made to show my NMRIH mates, just because I felt like it. May wanna 1080p it.
    Old thread, but worth the bump. Holy crap...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #287
    November 2007
    229 Posts
    A few videos of MindWorld particles

Then some for INFRA: Any one know to resize? :P

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 16Mapping King x 4Artistic x 2Late x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #288
    johnny guitar was here
    February 2010
    5,816 Posts
    that water effect is pretty really sweet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

9. Post #289
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,419 Posts
    God, I wish I was better with the particle editor

I love using it, it's just that I'm horrible at it and it takes me hours to get one particle system looking mediocre
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #290
    November 2007
    229 Posts
    Thanks guys! It just takes practice. The more you practice and try to make on your own without duping valves things the better you'll get at it.

11. Post #291
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,419 Posts
    Thanks guys! It just takes practice. The more you practice and try to make on your own without duping valves things the better you'll get at it.
    Yeah, the thing is I have never duped valve's things once. Should I do that to get reference on what to do?

12. Post #292
    November 2007
    229 Posts
    Yes, I spent day in and day out studying why and how valve used different initializes and operators to achieve their effects. I learned by editing valves stuff to my taste then started creating my own while using theirs as a reference. In time you'll beable to do it without asking "how do i do this?" You'll just know, just like hammer.

13. Post #293
    ForMod2013
    Dennab
    June 2009
    2,042 Posts
    I'd be really interested if someone could make a particle effect like the floating sprites you see in the air throughout the forest.

14. Post #294
    November 2007
    229 Posts
    I made some particles for a transformer explosion. Still rather wip, but here.

1080p it to see better detail.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #295
    November 2007
    229 Posts
    Particles in UDK, I didn't see any UDK threads when i searched that weren't 2+ years old.

All textures and material effects are by me as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #296
    Dennab
    January 2012
    298 Posts
    11-23-2008
    Before a mod bans me, realize this thread was when nobody knew anything, and it's full of morons. Made a new thread for new content.

Go here: http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/s...d.php?t=647698

Meh
    First one is a fire and second one is black hole
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #297
    Portal 2: Abyss
    September 2009
    1,685 Posts
    Looks more like a Quasar
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #298
    Dennab
    January 2012
    298 Posts
    Looks more like a Quasar than a Black Hole

Quasar isn't an 'thing'. Quasar is a very energetic and distant active galactic nucleus, more formally known as a super-massive black hole. So you are technically wrong, since a quasar cannot exist without a black hole.

19. Post #299
    April 2012
    127 Posts
    Anyone know to resize? :P
    img_thumb instead of IMG
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Useful Useful x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #300
    Portal 2: Abyss
    September 2009
    1,685 Posts
    Quasar isn't an 'thing'. Quasar is a very energetic and distant active galactic nucleus, more formally known as a super-massive black hole. So you are technically wrong, since a quasar cannot exist without a black hole.

Yeah... haven't think about that detail. It was just the first thing that came to my mind when i saw his image.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #301
    Dennab
    January 2012
    298 Posts
    FIREWORKS TIME :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #302
    January 2012
    77 Posts

well its something cool
    i lover her use of particles c:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)