1. Post #1
    January 2011
    101 Posts
    Since July, most games will crash at random intervals for me. What will happen is that the screen will either freeze or go black and the game will crash. In my event viewer I'll get an error stating that the application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware. What's confusing is that certain games will crash and certain games wont, showing no consistency. Keep in mind also, I used to not have any problems with these games, so I'm thinking some update fucked it.

List of known games that crash:
    PUBG
    DOOM
    Rainbow Six Seige
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    Counter Strike: Global Offensive
    Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

List of known games that work fine:
    TF2
    GTA V
    Overwatch
    Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
    Garry's Mod
    Magicka 1 + 2
    Quake Champions

Things I've done in attempt to fix it:
    Uninstall and Reinstall Drivers with DDU
    TDR Delay
    Removing overclocks and/or changing clock settings
    Experimented with and changed Radeon Crimson settings
    Running games as an administrator and/or compatibility mode
    Reinstalling Direct X
    Updating Windows
    Making sure the GPU isn't overheating

System specs:
    Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
    AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5 GHZ
    8 GB of RAM
    AMD Radeon R9 380

If anybody could possibly help I'd greatly appreciate it, I've spent countless hours trying to fix this and it's starting to drive me crazy to the point of hopelessness.

2. Post #2
    December 2014
    1,292 Posts
    Could be a power supply failure, especially considering that it seems to happen on heavier games. What power supply do you use? How long have you been using it for?

3. Post #3
    January 2011
    101 Posts
    Could be a power supply failure, especially considering that it seems to happen on heavier games. What power supply do you use? How long have you been using it for?
    Corsair CX500M, I've had it for about three years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    December 2014
    1,292 Posts
    Corsair CX500M, I've had it for about three years.
    From what I can tell, it has 3 year warranty, and it is the only cause I can think of, given what you have already tried. Perhaps it is time for a replacement. Before money is spent though, do you remember the exact date of purchase? Might still be just barely under warranty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Firefox Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    January 2011
    101 Posts
    From what I can tell, it has 3 year warranty, and it is the only cause I can think of, given what you have already tried. Perhaps it is time for a replacement. Before money is spent though, do you remember the exact date of purchase? Might still be just barely under warranty.
    I can't go digging right now but I'm pretty sure I'd have passed the warranty about three months ago. Thanks for your help though.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,170 Posts
    Unless he limits his framerate it should consume roughly the same amount of power regardless of title, though. GTA V is also harder to run than, for instance, CSGO, so the symptoms don't really make sense for a power supply issue IMO. It could still be that, though.

OP, download MSI Afterburner and lower the GPU core clock by 100MHz, see if that does anything.

7. Post #7
    December 2014
    1,292 Posts
    Unless he limits his framerate it should consume roughly the same amount of power regardless of title, though. GTA V is also harder to run than, for instance, CSGO, so the symptoms don't really make sense for a power supply issue IMO. It could still be that, though.

OP, download MSI Afterburner and lower the GPU core clock by 100MHz, see if that does anything.
    Actually, yeah, now that you mention it, could also be a video card hardware issue. OP, try that. Maybe also keep an eye after its temperatures using something like HWMonitor while playing games, could be getting unusually hot.
    Power supply was the first thing that came to mind since those tend to die quicker than any other part, but I guess not always.

8. Post #8
    January 2011
    101 Posts

I actually can't lower my core clock anymore from what it is. I haven't actually messed with overclocking before so is there a setting I need to enable?

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,170 Posts
    I actually can't lower my core clock anymore from what it is. I haven't actually messed with overclocking before so is there a setting I need to enable?
    That's odd, should work out of the box. Uninstall Afterburner and try AMD Overdrive, instead

10. Post #10
    January 2011
    101 Posts
    That's odd, should work out of the box. Uninstall Afterburner and try AMD Overdrive, instead
    My GPU clock settings wouldn't even show up in Overdrive, however I did find this.

I don't really know much about these kind of things but this doesn't seem normal.

11. Post #11
    December 2014
    1,292 Posts
    My GPU clock settings wouldn't even show up in Overdrive, however I did find this.

I don't really know much about these kind of things but this doesn't seem normal.
    Okay, that is weird. Could be a video card failure after all. Just to make sure, did you try what I suggested earlier? Monitor temperatures while playing the games that crashed?

12. Post #12
    January 2011
    101 Posts
    Okay, that is weird. Could be a video card failure after all. Just to make sure, did you try what I suggested earlier? Monitor temperatures while playing the games that crashed?
    While playing PUBG, my temperature peaked to 76 Celsius when the crash occurred.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,170 Posts
    While playing PUBG, my temperature peaked to 76 Celsius when the crash occurred.
    76c is a normal load temperature, as long as it stays below 90-ish it's nothing to worry about
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    January 2011
    101 Posts
    76c is a normal load temperature, as long as it stays below 90-ish it's nothing to worry about
    So I assume it might just be a hardware failure then?

15. Post #15
    December 2014
    1,292 Posts
    So I assume it might just be a hardware failure then?
    Yes, and actually probably the video card, considering the error that occurred. Also, if it were the power supply then other components might be affected and cause blue screens, which apparently have not occurred. How is the warranty on the video card?

16. Post #16
    January 2011
    101 Posts
    Yes, and actually probably the video card, considering the error that occurred. Also, if it were the power supply then other components might be affected and cause blue screens, which apparently have not occurred. How is the warranty on the video card?
    Luckily it's three years and I got the card in 2016 so I should be good. Thanks for all your help guys.