1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,397 Posts
    Itís fast. Really fast. Firefox Quantum is over twice as fast as Firefox from 6 months ago, built on a completely overhauled core engine with brand new technology stolen from our advanced research group, and graced with a beautiful new look designed to get out of the way and let you do what you do best: surf a ton of pages, open a zillion tabs, all guilt free because Firefox Quantum uses less memory than the competition. Your computer will thank you.
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
    https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/1...refox-quantum/

A lot of the work done behind the scenes for the past 2 years have finally shipped in Firefox, and its now just as fast as Chrome. Definitely recommend checking it out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Firefox Show Events Winner x 41Dumb x 6Informative x 4Funny x 2Disagree x 2Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,615 Posts
    I'm not a fan of the pocket integration. Here's how to turn it off:

Other than that it's great. I currently have 478 tabs open with no noticeable performance impact.
    Having more than 100 open used to cause small freezes. I think they reworked most of that to be asynchronous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Funny Funny x 37Winner Winner x 4Useful Useful x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3

June 2016
    1,242 Posts
    Facepunch needs a new useragent now!

EDIT: forgot to edit earlier, I thought it was a separate new application, dumb me!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    23,004 Posts

Other than that it's great. I currently have 478 tabs open with no noticeable performance impact.
    Having more than 100 open used to cause small freezes. I think they reworked most of that to be asynchronous.
    Actually, if you really want to get rid of it go to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\browser\features and delete "firefox@getpocket.com.xpi".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Informative Informative x 11Useful Useful x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    19,862 Posts
    Been using quantum for a few months or so now. It's a night and day improvement over the old engine. Id say that it's potentially faster and more stable than current versions of Chrome.

I just wish I knew why it won't keep me logged in to WhatsApp Web on my home machine. My work machine is fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,596 Posts
    I upgraded and it is pretty nice and all but it broke no script which is a deal breaker for me. Apparently it is releasing a new version later today though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Show Events Zing Zing x 6 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,397 Posts
    Actually, if you really want to get rid of it go to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\browser\features and delete "firefox@getpocket.com.xpi".
    fyi it will redownload pocket on each update, so i'd do the about:config setting, it doesn't load any pocket code in that case.

Been using quantum for a few months or so now. It's a night and day improvement over the old engine. Id say that it's potentially faster and more stable than current versions of Chrome.

I just wish I knew why it won't keep me logged in to WhatsApp Web on my home machine. My work machine is fine.
    WhatsApp web only lets you use it on one browser at a time, maybe thats the issue?

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    11,205 Posts
    But is it better then Google Ultron?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Show Events Disagree Disagree x 20Funny Funny x 11Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,102 Posts
    Upgraded and it's pretty good so far. Noticeably faster at loading and rendering webpages. I don't keep more than 1 or 2 tabs open at once ever so I can't comment on that but it's an improvement so far. Plus, none of my extensions break on it, so I'm happy with the change.

Good evolution of Firefox as a browser, IMO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    24,866 Posts

I never understood how people could have more than even 10 tabs open maybe it's my ocd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 91Disagree Disagree x 15Zing Zing x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,462 Posts
    Have seen a few suggestions to turn the webrenderer on to absolutely diminish CPU, believe it just runs on the GPU, but I haven't looked into it much

about:config?filter=webrender
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,796 Posts
    Is there a way to sign into firefox using google chrome account to sync bookmarks/passwords etc..?

I know it's breaking laws of galaxy but maybe there is a way? I would love to switch to firefox but the amount of shit I have in Chrome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    4,098 Posts
    I never understood how people could have more than even 10 tabs open maybe it's my ocd
    I only have a lot of tabs open when I'm browsing forums. I'll open whatever catches my interest in a new tab, read them all and then go to the next page.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,462 Posts
    Try one thousand six hundred and ninety one tabs
    https://metafluff.com/2017/07/21/i-am-a-tab-hoarder/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member

February 2005
    3,395 Posts

Do you even use most of those tabs? Always baffles me when I hear about people who permanently have hundreds of tabs open. Everything I immediately need is on my top bar and anything I use every so often is sorted into a couple of folders on the same bar.

Might give FF a go though, the only reasons I moved to Chrome back in the day were being able to store all my browser settings/bookmarks on my Google account for when I reinstalled and I had a lot of crashing issues with Firefox but that was many years ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,397 Posts
    Have seen a few suggestions to turn the webrenderer on to absolutely diminish CPU, believe it just runs on the GPU, but I haven't looked into it much

about:config?filter=webrender
    Don't do this, WebRender isn't quite ready yet so right now it renders the page twice, once with WR and once with the old renderer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Firefox Show Events Informative Informative x 4Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,462 Posts
    Is there a way to sign into firefox using google chrome account to sync bookmarks/passwords etc..?

I know it's breaking laws of galaxy but maybe there is a way? I would love to switch to firefox but the amount of shit I have in Chrome.
    Ctrl+J

Unsure how in depth it is though. Firefox does profile import tools, but I've never had to use them

Edited:

Doesn't look like you can import passwords
    you generally need a plugin to access the database if you exported them (since you need a 3rd party tool). And Mozilla hasn't made an API for webextensions to access the password database
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,796 Posts
    Guess I am stuck with Chrome so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,615 Posts
    Do you even use most of those tabs? Always baffles me when I hear about people who permanently have hundreds of tabs open. Everything I immediately need is on my top bar and anything I use every so often is sorted into a couple of folders on the same bar.

Might give FF a go though, the only reasons I moved to Chrome back in the day were being able to store all my browser settings/bookmarks on my Google account for when I reinstalled and I had a lot of crashing issues with Firefox but that was many years ago.
    It's about a week's worth. About half are from looking up programming documentation.
    The other half is interesting stuff I want to get back to soon, but where I forget to do that.

And then there are some pages that I just plain forget to close, like the nine copies of the 'Popular Threads' page I have open.

All Tabs Helper and Duplicate Tabs Closer make them easier to handle.
    Also note that this is across reboots, so not all of these are actually loaded.

Edited:

Guess I am stuck with Chrome so.
    You could probably use a third-party password manager that is available on both browsers.
    Personally I'm not a fan of using online password managers though, so I can't vouch for any of the options.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Post a picture of a fox on my profile comments
    September 2009
    1,518 Posts
    I like having all my shit at work, home and parent's home seamlessly synced up at Google, so I guess I'm staying with Chrome's Comfy Botnet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 16Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21

July 2011
    1,272 Posts
    Will definitely look into this once noscript is available for it. FF has some major memory usage issues.

22. Post #22
    I do it all
    November 2010
    20,174 Posts
    I would love to switch if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to break from the Google ecosystem
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 16Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,796 Posts
    I like having all my shit at work, home and parent's home seamlessly synced up at Google, so I guess I'm staying with Chrome's Comfy Botnet
    Same reason here.

I have:

PC at work,
    PC at home,
    Two Phones,
    One Tablet at home,
    One tablet at work.

Having all bookmarks/passwords/history/sessions readily available across all of those is convenient af and sadly for me:

Convenience > Performance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 13Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,397 Posts
    Same reason here.

I have:

PC at work,
    PC at home,
    Two Phones,
    One Tablet at home,
    One tablet at work.

Having all bookmarks/passwords/history/sessions readily available across all of those is convenient af and sadly for me:

Convenience > Performance.
    Firefox has its own sync that does all of that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 37Informative Informative x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    May 2013
    113 Posts

To sign directly onto Firefox with a google account - probably not gonna happen.
    Maybe try going through this? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...nother-browser
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Ask me about
    the stick
    up my ass
    April 2010
    11,451 Posts
    How compatible is Quantum with everything that works on Firefox 57?

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,324 Posts
    I spent the week hanging out with a lead programmer for Firefox last month. His largest argument for using Firefox is that Mozilla doesn't track or sell your browsing data unlike Chrome. He was very excited about this release. I'll be giving this a shot to see how it works over the next month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    395 Posts
    Does it finally has WebVR?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,538 Posts
    I spent the week hanging out with a lead programmer for Firefox last month. His largest argument for using Firefox is that Mozilla doesn't track or sell your browsing data unlike Chrome. He was very excited about this release. I'll be giving this a shot to see how it works over the next month.
    Same with Opera, which uses Chromium. I would use Firefox, because fuck Chrome, but I've had so many issues with it in the past. Opera has been stable as fuck for the few years I've been using it and is always getting useful features added. Not a shill btw ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Post a picture of a fox on my profile comments
    September 2009
    1,518 Posts
    But I want Google's sync
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Show Events Agree x 8Informative x 2Dumb x 2Zing x 1Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    I do it all
    November 2010
    20,174 Posts
    To me it's easy to jump from Android to android under Google's umbrella. It's why chrome is so widely used and why even if you have Mac OS and an iOS device you stick with safari because again everything is lumped together
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,280 Posts
    How compatible is Quantum with everything that works on Firefox 57?
    Quantum IS Firefox 57.
    Any extensions from Firefox 56 and before need a rewrite to the new API. uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere and some themes are already carried over.

Any appearance mods like Classic Theme Restorer are dead in the water.

Edited:

If you REALLY want the Firefox 3.x look in [current year] check out Pale Moon, a FF ESR fork that uses its own renderer among other things. It has a Gecko fork that's closer to Web standards and is native 64bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    593 Posts
    I gave up on using Firefox a few weeks ago(after using it for years) when they broke extensions in favor of using chrome like ones. If I wanted to use chrome I'd use chrome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux New Opera Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Rar
    September 2008
    113 Posts
    Quantum IS Firefox 57.
    Any extensions from Firefox 56 and before need a rewrite to the new API. uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere and some themes are already carried over.

Over half the extensions I use don't have FF57 ports yet, with some missing the APIs needed to function.

Feels like this push for WebExtensions comes too soon if there are still missing APIs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

35. Post #35
    Ask me about
    the stick
    up my ass
    April 2010
    11,451 Posts
    Quantum IS Firefox 57.

Edited:

If you REALLY want the Firefox 3.x look in [current year] check out Pale Moon, a FF ESR fork that uses its own renderer among other things. It has a Gecko fork that's closer to Web standards and is native 64bit.
    Haha, oops. I meant FF56 anyways, lol. Sucks that CTR won't work. I'm assuming addons like Tab Mix Plus probably won't work either which sucks.

I really wish they hadn't embraced WebExtensions even if I understand their reasoning for doing so. After all there's no chance in hell Google would adhere to anyone else's standards so it's up to everyone else to adhere to Google's shitty system if they want things standardized even if it means totally gutting their own superior system.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,942 Posts
    I'd make the switch to try it but there are two itty bitty problems I run into.

1, a Reddit inbox addon I use has no FF version, which is more than a little annoying.
    2, Chrome seems hellbent on not letting me export my passwords someplace else. I just can't do it through Chrome itself and when I tried exporting a CSV with a different program and importing that into Keepass (just to double check), the formatting was seven shades of fucked up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,462 Posts
    Actually you can edit your profiles to edit the css of the chrome. This is pretty much enforced now under webextensions.

https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx
    from the guy who does classicthemerestorer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Show Events Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Just restarted for the update.

Lots of extensions broke, but a lot of them I haven't needed or used in a while and I'm not that concerned with (when the fuck did I need a Gopher extension?).

Not liking the new "new tab" page. Sure, you can disable the bullshit like "Recommended by Pocket", but at the end you get fewer links than you used to, and they're crammed into a really tiny space.

I am liking the density options on the UI. That'll make browsing on my tablet a lot better.

Haven't noticed a speed difference yet, but I'm on fairly powerful hardware. I normally notice a slowdown after a few days of browsing without a restart, I'll see if that's fixed now.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,462 Posts
    Tab Mix Plus probably won't work either which sucks.
    http://tabmixplus.org/support/troubl...cy-tabmix.html
    not yet at least.

I'm just sticking with waterfox though, since above webextensions is just using unsigned extension support. Means I can just hack my own functions into them as unzipped xpis
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    963 Posts
    Is this worth switching to from Chrome? I've downloaded it and I really like the UI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)