1. Post #201
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    22,552 Posts
    thought i'd get back into things slowly, i.e. by ripping off Roger Deakins
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #202
    January 2013
    2,386 Posts
    Changeover day WIP

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #203
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    4,377 Posts
    About the contest thing - it is a common rule, dude.

About the pic, I say that to anyone, no matter who it is. In that other dude's case, he at least posted a png of a done pic even tho the png is not really needed and he could have easily convert it to jpg but in your case you posted a png image of a WIP which is even more stupid and please, dont take it personally because no one is gonna stand that shit, ok?
    As soon as Synavix gets back to me that he'll pass on my reward to whoever wins the painting contest, then I'll make the thread. I just don't wanna start a thread and then promise people rewards and then not being able to pass it onto them.

4. Post #204
    November 2017
    54 Posts
    you haven't seen much i guess
    ????

5. Post #205
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,257 Posts

and the rest of this guy's gallery:

https://vioxtar.deviantart.com/gallery/

we do some crazy stuff these days, and have been doing for years, though it's only recently started getting really good. photoshopping is involved, obviously.

the pic that Hauptmann posted there is actually really, really unedited. all you need is a good scene setup and decent lighting, and these are things that it somehow took this community years and years to figure out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #206
    May 2016
    321 Posts
    He means we tend to make stuff that is just like Hauptmann's picture you got excited about in terms of visual quality all the time.

Also, stuff

Any thoughts?
    I'm planning on doing a thread of just a bunch of simple tank pictures to hone my workflow and chill out with some easy scenebuilds to get my mojo back(I've recently started another picture for LW v3 and realized my posing has turned dogshit). Think of it like SFM portraits but instead of being grainy and emotional they're just Vehicles and they're put all in one thread instead of trickled out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #207
    November 2017
    54 Posts
    He means we tend to make stuff that is just like Hauptmann's picture you got excited about in terms of visual quality all the time.

Also, stuff

Any thoughts?
    I'm planning on doing a thread of just a bunch of simple tank pictures to hone my workflow and chill out with some easy scenebuilds to get my mojo back(I've recently started another picture for LW v3 and realized my posing has turned dogshit). Think of it like SFM portraits but instead of being grainy and emotional they're just Vehicles and they're put all in one thread instead of trickled out.
    I may have scrolled past them already. Those are nice, too.

8. Post #208
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    4,377 Posts

Also, stuff

Any thoughts?
    That's some very good color and lighting, most likely one of your best.

Do the following if you wanna add a touch of realism. Have a large burn brush (300 px) with hardness of 0% and opacity of 10%. Click a couple of times underneath the tank and in the lower right of the picture on the shadows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #209
    #420 PRAISE IT
    May 2010
    9,261 Posts
    Think of it like SFM portraits but instead of being grainy and emotional they're just Vehicles and they're put all in one thread instead of trickled out.
    wow what a dickish thing to say. It's not like this section is overburdened with those styles of pictures.

a good portrait requires technical skill too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,257 Posts
    Think of it like SFM portraits but instead of being grainy and emotional
    show me on the ragdoll where the portrait touched you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Show Events Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

11. Post #211
    May 2016
    321 Posts

Nah but in all seriousness yeah it was a lil dickish. It was intended to be a juxtaposition between heavy SFM stuff and "hey woah look it's a tank hurr" while poking fun at some more common artistic choices (Hell, i've even done it a few times, just never posted it), but I guess it just came off as blunt criticism and auto-fellatio, so apologies there.

12. Post #212
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    4,377 Posts
    Some of the portrait shots are pretty incredible like Luxuria's black & white stuff. Things can be beautiful despite being simple.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #213
    #420 PRAISE IT
    May 2010
    9,261 Posts
    Nah but in all seriousness yeah it was a lil dickish. It was intended to be a juxtaposition between heavy SFM stuff and "hey woah look it's a tank hurr" while poking fun at some more common artistic choices (Hell, i've even done it a few times, just never posted it), but I guess it just came off as blunt criticism and auto-fellatio, so apologies there.
    Well to be honest considering you've made two posts recently expressing that sentiment it more gives off the vibes that you just genuinely have a distaste for those types of poses and that belief is slipping into your jokes.

14. Post #214
    May 2016
    321 Posts
    As I said, poking fun at common artistic choices. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with those elements and it is comparatively a more mature style that often ends up looking pretty good. It effectively conveys what it wants to without seeming jarring, or in other words the art works. I just feel that because of how similar they become / how similar the artistic direction tends to go all the separate artworks tend to blur together after a while. Just like generic military poses and WW2 and tanks and all that the similarity begins to get old.

15. Post #215

October 2014
    1 Posts
    Although not fully completely finished I think the image has turned out quite well so far.

I hope I didn't overcrowd the scene, kinda ruining the atmosphere I was going for.
    Bit late, but where'd those soldier models come from? Also, great shot!

16. Post #216
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,265 Posts
    I'm making a poster right now and I'm already thinking forward about a crucial detail in the picture. Assuming I won't change this too much:

I want to add a river right over here:

and have it transition into a waterfall.
    I don't think any water in SFM will do well enough, and I've seen a lot of great water stuff including rivers and ponds made by some of you people.

Any advice? How to make good water?

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    4,377 Posts
    Take two pictures. One without water and one with a flat plane that you paint/color green. Put that inside as the level of water into your river. Then in photoshop you now have a green screen and can isolate it, color it, add transparency to see the bottom of the river etc.

Edited:

Playing around with architecture and Haputmann's props

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

18. Post #218
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,265 Posts
    Take two pictures. One without water and one with a flat plane that you paint/color green. Put that inside as the level of water into your river. Then in photoshop you now have a green screen and can isolate it, color it, add transparency to see the bottom of the river etc.

Didn't think of this, but I will definitely try it once I figure out how to light the scene as a whole.

Do you have any tips about reflections for water?

Edited:

in the end settled for this

probably might update it in the future if i get around to finding out how to do better water

19. Post #219
    May 2016
    321 Posts
    Playing around with architecture and Haputmann's props

This image is screaming for an actual armoured halftrack. Hoopity please, 251 port when

20. Post #220
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    3,018 Posts
    When Crowbar actually stops being a piece of shit and lets me compile a model that has every little tiny screw modelled

21. Post #221
    October 2017
    11 Posts
    Alright, I've had this image in my head for over a year now of a (possibly bombed-out) Covenant wraith overgrown in the woods with several children playing 'stick guns' in and around it, along with a pair of dog tags nailed to a tree in the foreground. Before I get too crazy with the props and lighting, I'd like to know if I'm headed in the right direction and if any of these angles are a good starting point or if there's a better option for this concept.

https://imgur.com/a/5a0E9

I, uh, could also use some help with finding models. I can't for the life of me find children, a better wraith (preferably Halo: Reach), or dog tags.

22. Post #222
    May 2016
    321 Posts

IMO this one has the most potential, but I can't help you on models there

23. Post #223
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    773 Posts
    Sorry man, not many fps/ shooter games have Children in them because of moral reasons. there should be a halo reach model pack on the workshop with a wraith in it.