1. Post #961
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,869 Posts
    Can I install a Linux server distro over a LAN and have SSH work immediately? I'm upgrading to Ryzen and will still have my old Intel machine and would like to use it for something, but I won't have any graphics devices capable of pushing out an image. It running headless would be totally fine, but I need a way to actually get the distro on there.
    Does it have any graphics capabilities at all? Or is the onboard just broken? Some motherboards won't finish POST without a graphics device. There is also the "stick in a fanless GeForce 210 for $30 option" which would be good enough.

You can PXE boot a netinstaller, but they are usually still interactive, so you will need to look into the documentation of your distro of choice to figure out how to do an unattended installation.

2. Post #962
    September 2010
    1,794 Posts

So recently I restarted my computer and noticed that my total possible committed memory was at a significantly smaller number than usual (64)

I'm wondering if thats bad, cause it seems bad.

3. Post #963
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,678 Posts

So recently I restarted my computer and noticed that my total possible committed memory was at a significantly smaller number than usual (64)

I'm wondering if thats bad, cause it seems bad.
    Did you recently reduce the size of your page file to 10gb? Total Committed Memory is just RAM + page file size as far as I know

4. Post #964
    September 2010
    1,794 Posts
    Did you recently reduce the size of your page file to 10gb? Total Committed Memory is just RAM + page file size as far as I know
    I don't change anything.

5. Post #965
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    28,789 Posts
    Does it have any graphics capabilities at all? Or is the onboard just broken? Some motherboards won't finish POST without a graphics device. There is also the "stick in a fanless GeForce 210 for $30 option" which would be good enough.

You can PXE boot a netinstaller, but they are usually still interactive, so you will need to look into the documentation of your distro of choice to figure out how to do an unattended installation.
    It just doesn't have an onboard.

6. Post #966
    September 2010
    1,794 Posts
    Also its down to 22 after windows did an update overnight.

7. Post #967
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,678 Posts
    That's strange, I suppose you could check the size of the pagefile and see if it's changing?

8. Post #968
    How good is lastpass as an extension? I've been hearing about it a bunch the past few days and I'm thinking of using it though naturally I'm hesitant to let something manage all my shit. Though admittedly it'd probably be better at it than I am

9. Post #969
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,859 Posts
    Committed Memory isn't just the page file, it's basically pre-allocated memory for processes to use (which includes the page file). Basically, if you opened up a bunch of Chrome tabs, you'd see your committed Memory go up, but if you close all but one tab, Chrome might not deallocate that memory until every single Chrome tabbis closed (AKA Chrome completely closed).

Look at the Processes tab to see what apps are committing so much much memory for themselves and you'll have your culprit.

10. Post #970
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    28,789 Posts
    How good is lastpass as an extension? I've been hearing about it a bunch the past few days and I'm thinking of using it though naturally I'm hesitant to let something manage all my shit. Though admittedly it'd probably be better at it than I am
    LastPass was extremely good back when I used it.
    Here's a rundown on why I think it's secure:

The Problem

Since the early UNIX days usernames and passwords have been used to provide security
    Assuming a system is secure and password based then the one vulnerability is guessing a password
    Passwords need to be 'gibberish' and long
    E.g. 'a' is not a good password as it is easy to guess with a dictionary or brute force attack
    'aa' is still not a good password as there are only 26^2 (676) possible 2 letter passwords which can easily be tried in a short amount of time with a brute force attack
    The longer your password is the stronger it is
    a-z, A-Z, 0-9 and +,- gives us 64 possible characters to use in a password and each character give us 6 bits of password strength as 64 is the same as 2^6
    As you add 1 more character to the password each time you get 64 TIMES (x) more strength

The Solution

So the problem is you want a long, gibberish password but you dont want to use the same one all the time
    This means you need many long, gibberish passwords that are hard to remember
    What you want is a way to securely manage these passwords and this is what LastPass provides
    It has plugins for many browsers to make it easy to use
    It also works on many mobile devices
    It also can generate bookmarklets which work in any browser
    LastPass can also automatically fill in forms for you and it has a secure vault where you can store notes

Is LastPass Secure ?

All the encryption is done locally on your own computer
    No one but you ever gets the key to decrypt your data and the creators have gone to great lengths to ensure this
    When you log in your email address and password are joined together although your email address is sanitized slightly by being converted to lower case and having whitespace removed
    A hash is then taken of this string using SHA 256
    This is now your cryptographic key that your system uses to encrypt and decrypt your data
    All the data held by LastPass is encrypted
    To identify yourself to LastPass they add your password to the previous hash they obtained by hashing your password and email address and then hash this string
    This hash is your unique ID
    Then you send your unique ID and username to LastPass to identify you and since this contains your password hashed into it twice, no one can produce this key but you
    So LastPass never gets your cryptographic key
    They never even save your unique ID on their servers
    Instead when you create your account they create a unique 256 bit token to save with your account
    Then when you login they take your unique ID add it to the unique 256 bit token and hash it then this is used to find your data
    LastPass also frequently backs up their database

This is great but what if LastPass goes away ?

They have a stand alone executable called 'LastPass Pocket' which is a personal database decrypter
    You can export your database in encrypted form and use this program to decrypt the data
    You can export your database in plain text into a CSV file
    Plugins also keep a local copy of this data, and all plugins can export your data

LastPass' additional comments here:

You don't need Pocket as the extensions for IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari and every mobile application keep an up to date copy locally which you always have access to even offline
    You can export your data back into IE or Firefox with the plugins
    http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/Security_Now_256

This all means that LastPass physically cannot access your encryption key. If their servers get compromised (which, they have, and they were transparent about it each time), all the hackers get is your encrypted databases, which they still cannot open without the encryption key. LastPass cannot leak your encryption key because they never actually get your encryption key. (This means that if you lose your encryption key, LastPass will just say "Sorry, but we can't help you. We have no way to open these files.")

HOWEVER, they recently got bought out by LogMeIn (A couple of years ago). I'm not sure I trust these new owners to keep this tech up to the same standards. There is nothing stopping them from changing their system up without notice. They would be under insane fire by the IT world if they did, so they probably won't, but it could happen. So as a precaution, I switched over to KeePassXC on my Google Drive with a password and keyfile solution. This solution is very close to LastPass in usability and still very secure.

Hope this helps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #971
    September 2010
    1,794 Posts
    Committed Memory isn't just the page file, it's basically pre-allocated memory for processes to use (which includes the page file). Basically, if you opened up a bunch of Chrome tabs, you'd see your committed Memory go up, but if you close all but one tab, Chrome might not deallocate that memory until every single Chrome tabbis closed (AKA Chrome completely closed).

Look at the Processes tab to see what apps are committing so much much memory for themselves and you'll have your culprit.
    Its not a problem of programs committing memory and not releasing it its more a problem of my computer saying it can only commit up to 22 gigs, at least thats what I gather from the memory screen.

12. Post #972
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,956 Posts
    LastPass was extremely good back when I used it.
    Here's a rundown on why I think it's secure:

http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/Security_Now_256

This all means that LastPass physically cannot access your encryption key. If their servers get compromised (which, they have, and they were transparent about it each time), all the hackers get is your encrypted databases, which they still cannot open without the encryption key. LastPass cannot leak your encryption key because they never actually get your encryption key. (This means that if you lose your encryption key, LastPass will just say "Sorry, but we can't help you. We have no way to open these files.")

HOWEVER, they recently got bought out by LogMeIn (A couple of years ago). I'm not sure I trust these new owners to keep this tech up to the same standards. There is nothing stopping them from changing their system up without notice. They would be under insane fire by the IT world if they did, so they probably won't, but it could happen. So as a precaution, I switched over to KeePassXC on my Google Drive with a password and keyfile solution. This solution is very close to LastPass in usability and still very secure.

Hope this helps.
    If you don't own the door your key can never be secure. All "they" have to do is change the lock in order to copy your key.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

13. Post #973
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    28,789 Posts
    If you don't own the door your key can never be secure. All "they" have to do is change the lock in order to copy your key.
    That's exactly what I said. As it stands, it is secure, but they can change it at any moment. This is why I instead use KeePassXC.

14. Post #974
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    13,902 Posts
    Let's say it is my motherboard that's fried, to replace it I just plug in everything else into its new home or is there something more to it than that?

15. Post #975
    Gold Member

May 2010
    6,283 Posts
    Let's say it is my motherboard that's fried, to replace it I just plug in everything else into its new home or is there something more to it than that?
    You'll probably have to re-activate Windows.
    Since it's the same chipset & CPU OEM you shouldn't have any driver issues.

16. Post #976
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,863 Posts
    I mean W10 in general doesn't have much issue hopping between chipsets.

17. Post #977
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    13,902 Posts
    Will it be a problem if I got that free Win10 update and didn't note down any authentication? I still have my Win7 disk and stuff if things go south.

18. Post #978
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,727 Posts
    If I get about 200 errors after 1 pass on memtest86+, but the PC somewhat works stable under normal use, how fast should I replace the RAM?

Currently short on money and most I do is browsing the web or playing some games, nothing where I could loose important stuff.

19. Post #979
    September 2010
    1,794 Posts
    That's strange, I suppose you could check the size of the pagefile and see if it's changing?
    How would I do that because I got a Memory Management blue screen and now its at 20.2

20. Post #980
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,884 Posts
    What's the best way to clean of your case?

21. Post #981
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    22,659 Posts
    What the best way to clean of your case?
    get air

blow air vigorously at case

repeat until clean

22. Post #982
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,884 Posts
    get air

blow air vigorously at case

repeat until clean
    So a can of compressed air. What about the dust in the radiator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android New Opera Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #983
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,717 Posts
    get air

blow air vigorously at radiator

repeat until clean
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #984

Frosty ❄️ Member

July 2010
    12,731 Posts
    Buy a small air compressor, you'll get more bang for your buck.

Also be careful about condensation coming out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Show Events Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #985
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,884 Posts
    get air

blow air vigorously at radiator

repeat until clean
    Doesn't.... Work.... , Bad... Advice.... I wonder if I'm being clear enough? The dust, won't move, method ineffective.
    Buy a small air compressor, you'll get more bang for your buck.

Also be careful about condensation coming out.
    Cool, I'll see if I can get a cheap one at Bunnings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android New Opera Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #986
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,717 Posts
    Doesn't.... Work.... , Bad... Advice.... I wonder if I'm being clear enough? The dust, won't move, method ineffective.
    do you have a speech impediment that has somehow transferred to your posts or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

27. Post #987
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,884 Posts
    do you have a speech impediment that has somehow transferred to your posts or something
    Enough hostility, your initial sarcastic post was a little too hostile and I think you know that. I'm just asking for a better method for cleaning out my PC, I'm not asking to be the butt of a sarcastic joke.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android New Opera Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #988
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,717 Posts
    Sarcastic yes but a serious suggestion none the less
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #989
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,884 Posts
    Sarcastic yes but a serious suggestion none the less
    It's about as effective as trying to sweep a warehouse with a toothbrush.

30. Post #990
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,105 Posts
    imo some cheap brushes of the paint, tooth and horsehair variety are usually a lot more thorough than canned or even compressed air

devices accumulate a lot of crud
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Zing Zing x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

31. Post #991
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,266 Posts
    I just use my dad's air compressor he got for filling car tires. Though I probably shouldn't.

32. Post #992
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,956 Posts
    That's exactly what I said. As it stands, it is secure, but they can change it at any moment. This is why I instead use KeePassXC.
    You literally mentioned nothing about that. You claim the user is the only one with access to the encryption key, which is false.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #993

Frosty ❄️ Member

July 2010
    12,731 Posts
    I just use my dad's air compressor he got for filling car tires. Though I probably shouldn't.
    You're fine, just make sure it doesn't push too much pressure out (if it's a good compressor you can change the PSI)

34. Post #994
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    28,789 Posts
    You literally mentioned nothing about that. You claim the user is the only one with access to the encryption key, which is false.
    As it stands, your encryption key is not sent to their servers. This is true. What I said was that (especially under under new management), without warning, they could change their system in such a way that they COULD retrieve your encryption key or otherwise compromise your security. I made a clear warning that because this is a third party they may change their system up at any moment, and because of that I use KeePassXC.

I did not lie, misrepresent, or hide any facts about LastPass. I said that AS IT STANDS NOW it is secure and usable, but THAT FACT COULD CHANGE SO BE CAREFUL.

Stop saying I didn't say things when I clearly did.

Edited:

What benchmarks should I run before and after a CPU upgrade to get an idea for what performance I gained? So far I did a couple of 3DMARK runs to test gaming performance (not expecting too many miracles there.) What should I throw on there to test pure CPU performance for both single and multicore? I take it Prime95 is on that list.

35. Post #995
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,727 Posts
    If I get about 200 errors after 1 pass on memtest86+, but the PC somewhat works stable under normal use, how fast should I replace the RAM?

Currently short on money and most I do is browsing the web or playing some games, nothing where I could loose important stuff.
    Did some more testing with memtest86+ and found out only one RAM module is broken apparently, the other one had 2 passes without any errors while the broken one didn't even last 1min or so until the first error appeared.

36. Post #996
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,863 Posts
    Just pull that stick and RMA it. Pretty much all RAM has a lifetime warranty, though some companies want you to send the whole kit in.

37. Post #997
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,727 Posts
    Just pull that stick and RMA it. Pretty much all RAM has a lifetime warranty, though some companies want you to send the whole kit in.
    Hm, I have to ask my brother if he still got the bill from the shop where he bought it, but I doubt that. Though I read that G.Skill doesn't need any bills...

Guess I'll setup my Raspberry Pi 3 in the meantime once again.

Edit: Upon closer inspection I saw that on the broken module there's a scratch on one of the pins, so RMA is out of question I guess. FML

38. Post #998

February 2009
    1,029 Posts
    The latest windows update destroyed my bluetooth and I cant find the drivers for it. help!

39. Post #999
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,717 Posts
    Hm, I have to ask my brother if he still got the bill from the shop where he bought it, but I doubt that. Though I read that G.Skill doesn't need any bills...

Edit: Upon closer inspection I saw that on the broken module there's a scratch on one of the pins, so RMA is out of question I guess. FML

That doesn't look like it's bad enough to cause it to stop making proper contact. You could probably still RMA.

If that pin really is it, you could probably fix it yourself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #1000
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,863 Posts

Eh, I've successfully RMA'd damaged RAM. GSkill will rarely ask for a bill, but it's possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)