1. Post #1
    July 2012
    806 Posts

The Arms Race is back!

This time you can find all the information about the contest on a neat little website. Check out

The contest pretty much works like in the previous years but with a few minor changes here and there.

Let me know if anything is unclear about the rules or how to submit your work.

Deadline is July 31st 2017 8:00pm UTC! (?)

Links

Website
    Workshop Collection
    Steam Group
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 24 (list)

2. Post #2

July 2013
    1,671 Posts
    the example qc and example submission links are 404.

also, regarding "If your item requires replacement of existing files in the game in order to make it work," do sound and particle files, that make the weapon make more sense aesthetically, count as these? i'm guessing in that case we should also let you know which weapon the submission replaces in order to make good use of those replacement sound/particle files?

3. Post #3
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    the example qc and example submission links are 404.

also, regarding "If your item requires replacement of existing files in the game in order to make it work," do sound and particle files, that make the weapon make more sense aesthetically, count as these? i'm guessing in that case we should also let you know which weapon the submission replaces in order to make good use of those replacement sound/particle files?
    Thanks, the links are fixed.

Sound and particles should be in the "mod" VPK file, that is correct. In that case add to the filename the item that it replaces, e.g. "newweapon_heinous_kritzkrieg.vpk". The example package has a text file that you can also use to write down any additional instructions or comments.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    November 2013
    1,624 Posts
    -begone thot-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 13Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    June 2015
    592 Posts
    Good Luck Y'all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    April 2016
    209 Posts
    Oh this is gonna be fun!

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,657 Posts
    A few random unclaimed things:

Browning Auto-5 shotgun for the Engineer, uses widow-maker animations so it doesn't need to be pumped, the Humpback:

Winchester 1895 styled scatter-gun for the Scout, the Rough Rider:

Flintlock styled flare-gun for the Pyro, the Firebug's Flintlock:

MP5 styled SMG for the Sniper, the Poacher's Piece:

Ridiculously Large Knife for the Sniper, the BMFK:

And I don't know if anyone is too particularly interested in something that would require custom animations, but here's an assault cannon for Heavy, designed to be held similarly to his old concept art and the DOOM 2016 minigun:

And a lever action rifle for the Sniper:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

8. Post #8
    BADGERPIG
    May 2010
    4,906 Posts
    I got a few lying around as well, hit me up if your interested in modeling, some of these are a little rough/early/old so I might wanna go over them again before they're ready. (will be updating this post as I do so)

Lewis/"Lyudovik" machine gun, A tommy sticky launcher (claimed)

Spy stuff: Welrod for dartgun anims (claimed) , "Remote sapper" and "French army knife" (claimed)

Another nailgun, designed exclusivley for the pomson first person anims (valve would have to add third person anims) cirkle saw based on grapple anims, could be used by any class (and already spins and all that)

Rocket launchers: First one is remote triggered or something, second is based on the Liberator 4-barrel

A Chainsaw for demo that uses sticky anims (reload pulls the starter rope), a crossbow as a GL replacement, and a sticky launcher of some sort

I might have a couple more that are either (more) experimental and weird or potentially claimed and abandoned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 16 (list)

9. Post #9
    June 2012
    1,380 Posts
    Some of my recent weapon concepts...

Even more in this Album.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,657 Posts
    [/t]
    Lewis/"Lyudovik" machine gun,
    Everything is fair game, and competition is always welcome, but I just figured I'd mention that I also have a Lewis Gun styled mini-gun concept:

It's currently Claimed by Ertz, though time will tell if it'll make it for Arms Race or not. Just didn't want anyone to think there was some toe stepping in the future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    BADGERPIG
    May 2010
    4,906 Posts
    oh yeah I recall seeing that, I think we made them around the same time too, I might try somethign wierd wiht mine so they'll probably turn out pretty different, and no worries on my part ofc, there are only so many cool guns after all :v

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,657 Posts
    Also, here is some claimed concepts, just to see what is ahead:

Scottish Resistance styled grenade launcher for the Demoman, the Bouncing Betty:

Claimed by Ertz

Bottle melee for the Demoman, the Loch Scotch:

Claimed by Ertz

Liberator styled Grenade Launcher for the Demoman, the Freedom Fighter:

Claimed by ZombiePlasticClock

Some feedback before any of them are started would be much appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

13. Post #13
    October 2014
    1,612 Posts
    Few mad massacre tools up for claim:

Captain's Betrayal

Spy Hook, the idea is that underneath the hilt is this little screen that would normally only show up to the user when backstabbing people.

Homemade Hybrid

Pistol with elements of the Type 23/48, and a razor.

Sub-Syringe Gunner

Syringe Gun (which has now 100% more sense making barrel placement).

Small Scoper

Sniper Rifle put together from many sniper rifles to look awhole.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Czech Republic Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    October 2014
    339 Posts
    Never been much for weapon concepts but this should be fun
    I've recently finished this idea, an over under shotgun for Demoman inspired by traditional clay pigeon shooting and hunting in Britian. Not sure if it'd work but it could be a cool idea:

Here are all my much older weapon concepts:

Garrote for Spy

Leather Pliers for Engineer

Police Battering Ram for either Heavy or Demoman

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,657 Posts
    That shotgun is a neat idea and all, but its worth noting that the animation's hinge point for demo's launchers is located much further down:

So you basically would have to go out of the way to make an extension down to it, otherwise it'll just de-hinge and float all weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    January 2015
    258 Posts
    Im happy ARMS RACE IS BACK!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Poland Show Events Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    March 2014
    5,058 Posts
    i was thinking of a spy primary/melee combo sorta like that old fireaxe/shotgun hybrid, akin to Snake's CQC stance in MGS

would take both slots and have custom first and third person animations

if someone made a concept I'd be happy to model it, I guess I can see the watch animations being a problem though LMAO
    perhaps it could take the watch slot as well and have a wristwatch on the knife arm that functions like stock, with the face on the inside of his wrist?

18. Post #18
    November 2014
    39 Posts
    Posting my concept arts for Arms Race.
    Heavy minigun

Shotgun

Grenade launcher

Sniper crosbow

All are claimable!
    is the minigun with the backpack supposed to look like the medigun?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    January 2015
    258 Posts
    is the minigun with the backpack supposed to look like the medigun?
    Yeah it will work like minigun I mean when you change weapon your backpack stay on back.

20. Post #20
    February 2016
    654 Posts

Bradman's Honor

Well this here's the only item I have that I feel is finished enough

More weapons to come!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    June 2012
    1,380 Posts
    Since you can now submit Payloads to the contest, here's a payload, disguised as a food cart...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    I sell Bot Doggers and Bot Dogger accessories
    November 2011
    1,601 Posts
    So happy to see Arms Race is back, we can use some really good weapon models to show the rest of Workshop how it's done. May the best man win!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

23. Post #23
    September 2014
    119 Posts

well....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Korea, Republic of Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    October 2014
    208 Posts
    Well I guess I'll post some progress on a project me and my friend are working on for the contest.

Still not finished but I'm glad to be in another arms race again!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25

April 2016
    115 Posts
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=935532163
    Here is my concept art for pyro secondary. Claimable.

26. Post #26
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    So many great concepts already!

Well I guess I'll post some progress on a project me and my friend are working on for the contest.

Still not finished but I'm glad to be in another arms race again!
    The front sight looks a bit flimsy, I'd scale it up and beef it up.

Since you can now submit Payloads to the contest, here's a payload, disguised as a food cart...

This is a great idea! I'd maybe do something like loose metal plates on both sides, hanging off a bit, so you can see inside and have a larger bomb in there. You know, put a little more emphasize on the bomb aspect. Also make the dynamite "hot dogs" more of a pile so they are better visible. Excuse my quick, sloppy edit but here's the basic idea:

Also the mix of red and blue colors might be an issue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    June 2016
    4 Posts
    Okay, Seeing that there are so many amazing weapon concepts in this thread i figured that i'd contribute something as well, its not the best, and certainly not professionally drawn, but i feel like it gets the concept across well enough without being too simple or too complex

Motorcycle Flamethrower Concept

So if anyone Has Some feedback, Or wants to Model this, Shoot me a message on Steam
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    July 2016
    651 Posts
    I've never really tried my hand at doing concept art before, but this concept has been one that's been floating in my mind for over a year now.

I wanted to make a sniper based off the HK SL8:

And here's what I have.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and I would appreciate it it if anyone was willing to model this gun ofr the arms race as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    January 2015
    258 Posts
    Okay, Seeing that there are so many amazing weapon concepts in this thread i figured that i'd contribute something as well, its not the best, and certainly not professionally drawn, but i feel like it gets the concept across well enough without being too simple or too complex

Motorcycle Flamethrower Concept

So if anyone Has Some feedback, Or wants to Model this, Shoot me a message on Steam
    I made bike flamethrower concept before :)

Claimable ;)

30. Post #30
    July 2016
    651 Posts
    I updated the concept for the SL8 a bit based on feedback:

http://imgur.com/a/3u0wF

And here's a magless version for those who would prefer it

http://imgur.com/a/t0Qv8

31. Post #31
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    April 2013
    1,280 Posts
    Oh for fuck's sake. Who's reporting all the images?

33. Post #33
    February 2016
    654 Posts
    Well our dear friend BainDrain was apparently responsible for the same thing on Emp 66, because he's a smart enough kid to brag about that stuff on /b/

So I honestly wouldn't be surprised
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

34. Post #34
    Dennab
    June 2016
    855 Posts
    Oh for fuck's sake. Who's reporting all the images?
    Glad I'm not the only one, but yeah pretty much everything is broken for me

35. Post #35
    July 2016
    651 Posts
    Well our dear friend BainDrain was apparently responsible for the same thing on Emp 66, because he's a smart enough kid to brag about that stuff on /b/

The hell is wrong with that guy?

36. Post #36

July 2013
    1,671 Posts
    The hell is wrong with that guy?
    he really wants us to focus on hats i guess...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    I would like to offer uploading your concept images to the Arms Race webspace. Nobody will be reporting the images there. Send me a zip file with your concepts on Steam or via PM here and I'll put them in armsrace.tf2maps.net/concepts/yourname/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    March 2014
    5,058 Posts

he must be feeling extra bamboozled after overwatch released their kamen rider genji skin
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Opera United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,491 Posts
    Anyway! Up for Grabs.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    May 2017
    67 Posts

a crossbow for demo
    I had a similar idea called the Dynabow (it would fire arrows with dynamite bundles attached to them)