1. Post #281
    ZOEY SMITH
    November 2010
    4,018 Posts
    Mann Bun

Workshop Link
    Mods Download
    Sketchfab Link

Forgot I made this until like 3 days ago...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #282
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,657 Posts
    Kinda last minute entry from Ertz and I, Bouncing Betty

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1096115995

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #283
    November 2013
    1,624 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #284
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    Time is up now!

There are 43 submissions this time around. Thanks to everybody who contributed!

Voting will begin later this week, probably Wednesday or Thursday since I still have to set up some SQL, a JSON file and rename all the thumbnails.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 12Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

5. Post #285
    July 2012
    806 Posts

Voting is enabled now!

Visit the voting page and cast your votes. Voting will end on August the 11th at 8:00PM UTC. Winners will be revealed a few days after.

I've decided to only show the top 5 entries for each contract for now and probably should have made the doorframe square but it's too late now. If you'd like to send me an updated image that fits feel free to do so and I'll replace it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 11 (list)

6. Post #286
    June 2012
    1,380 Posts
    Voting is enabled now!
    Shouldn't the medigun be in the support category?

7. Post #287
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    Technically it's a minigun that shoots bullets so it should be in the same category as the other miniguns. However, you mentioning it now, it never occured to me that it could actually be firing healing bullets instead of hurting bullets so maybe you're right. I'm asking the authors if they would like to switch to the Support contract.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #288
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    I'd like to give you a little insight on an update that I just rolled out for the display of the voting results.

As I've explained earlier there's positive and negative votes that are converted to points. The calculation has not changed but it felt harsh to have the negative points on display. Take a look at the old display:

The item on rank 4 has 22 positive votes and 44 negative votes, resulting in -22 points which is not nice to look at. Also I had used the total number of points per contract to calculate the width of the bar, resulting in rather short bars.

To fix these issues I am now using the points of the top-ranked item to calculate the width for each bar, which results in the top entry always using 100% width and the other items being scaled accordingly.

To get rid of the negative points on display I'm shifting the whole scale above zero by adding the number of points and positive votes from the worst-rated item to every item of the contract. So in the example each item gets additional 44 points from the worst-ranked item (absolute value of the -22 points plus the 22 positive votes = 44 points).

Now we have a much better looking distribution of points without changing the ranking itself:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #289

July 2013
    1,671 Posts
    The item on rank 4 has 22 positive votes and 44 negative votes, resulting in -22 points which is not nice to look at.
    jesus christ, talk about a tough crowd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #290
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,576 Posts
    Have a feeling it's mine

Not too upset about it, it's just a thing I whipped up in a few days because I had an idea, a lot people here worked much longer and put more effort it to theirs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #291
    August 2013
    1,952 Posts
    Shouldn't the medigun be in the support category?

Technically it's a minigun that shoots bullets so it should be in the same category as the other miniguns. However, you mentioning it now, it never occured to me that it could actually be firing healing bullets instead of hurting bullets so maybe you're right. I'm asking the authors if they would like to switch to the Support contract.
    It is a medigun but also a minigun. I think either category is fitting but Ill leave it up to Gadget.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

12. Post #292
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    Voting has been concluded now with an impressive number of 480,673 votes total by 13,655 different Steam accounts.

The showcase website, presenting the winners and results, should be ready later today or tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #293
    November 2013
    1,624 Posts
    -wrong thread-

14. Post #294
    July 2012
    806 Posts

Head over to the winners page and take a look at the results.

Medals and prizes will be given out in the next few days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #295
    January 2012
    451 Posts

Head over to the winners page and take a look at the results.

Medals and prizes will be given out in the next few days.
    my winners page looks different and kinda broken

not sure whats up

16. Post #296
    Gold Member
    April 2013
    2,798 Posts
    Results are really dissapointing. That odd looking rustic minigun placed way higher than a lot of better entries and some barely got any votes at all.

Congrats to those who won tho
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #297

July 2013
    1,671 Posts
    Results are really dissapointing. That odd looking rustic minigun placed way higher than a lot of better entries and some barely got any votes at all.

based on the few youtube videos going over the weapons, i think voters based their choices on how they imagine the weapons will work in the game, instead of the model quality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

18. Post #298
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,576 Posts
    Congrats everyone!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

19. Post #299
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    4,782 Posts
    Congrats to all who placed, can't wait for next year!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

20. Post #300
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    my winners page looks different and kinda broken

not sure whats up
    Which browser and device are you using? Try clearing the cache.

The results sure do not reflect the quality of each item and I was as much surprised as you are when I noticed the shift in rankings after the announcement on the blog. So much that I had to double-check the code to make sure there definately wasn't a bug in the voting system. Here's an export of the votes (ordered by points) before 2017-08-07 20:00:00 which looks more like what you'd image the ranking would be like. Here's the final data for comparison (also ordered by points). Please note that points do not equal votes as I've explained earlier in this thread. The worst-rated item still got 10,568 votes, there are just way more negative than positive votes.

Keep in mind that most people voting are not item creators and may have little or no sense for design and thus probably didn't judge by the quality of an entry. A conclusion for the next contest could be to not ask for an announcement on the blog post which probably results in a more quality-oriented ranking but also doesn't give each item and the contest a much bigger audience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #301

July 2013
    1,671 Posts

The results sure do not reflect the quality of each item and I was as much surprised as you are when I noticed the shift in rankings after the announcement on the blog. So much that I had to double-check the code to make sure there definately wasn't a bug in the voting system. Here's an export of the votes (ordered by points) before 2017-08-07 20:00:00 which looks more like what you'd image the ranking would be like. Here's the final data for comparison (also ordered by points). Please note that points do not equal votes as I've explained earlier in this thread. The worst-rated item still got 10,568 votes, there are just way more negative than positive votes.

Keep in mind that most people voting are not item creators and may have little or no sense for design and thus probably didn't judge by the quality of an entry. A conclusion for the next contest could be to not ask for an announcement on the blog post which probably results in a more quality-oriented ranking but also doesn't give each item and the contest a much bigger audience.
    if you are going to go to that extent, maybe start with a disclaimer on the site to advise voters to focus on model quality and see how that goes first. maybe even just subtitle it "weapon modeling contest" instead of "weapon design contest." people seem to need spoonfeeding, i saw one guy going through each weapon just guessing which classes they are for because clicking the link to the workshop pages was apparently too hard for him. i know he is just one example but still.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

22. Post #302
    Gold Member
    April 2013
    2,798 Posts

Ironic, Valve even manages to ruin community events.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #303
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    Medals have been given out now. If you didn't receive yours, send me a message.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

24. Post #304
    January 2012
    451 Posts

Thank you to all who voted and congrats to the 1st place winners
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

25. Post #305
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    For the distribution of prizes I'd like every contributor of the top 3 entries to receive something. There's 35 people (excluding myself) and luckily we have 36 prizes. For the order of picking a prize I'd go by the final points, taking the number of contributors per item into account, which brings me to this list for picking prizes (one prize per pick):

Winners go first...
    1. Call Man Kit
    2. Nightwatch
    3. Swiss Sommelier
    4. Bouncing Betty
    5. Space Cart
    6. Nightwatch
    7. Swiss Sommelier
    8. Bouncing Betty declined by Ertz
    9. Swiss Sommelier
    10. Swiss Sommelier

then 2nd place..
    11. Councilman
    12. Elephant's Foot
    13. Mann Bun
    14. Mercy Killer
    15. Generator Cart
    16. Councilman
    17. Elephant's Foot
    18. Mann Bun declined by Square
    19. Generator Cart
    20. Elephant's Foot declined by Jukebox
    21. Generator Cart
    22. Elephant's Foot declined by Pagliacci
    23. Generator Cart

then 3rd place...
    24. Handcannon
    25. Scottish Sweeper
    26. War Widget
    27. Totemic Tool
    28. Scottish Sweeper
    29. War Widget
    30. Totemic Tool
    31. Scottish Sweeper
    32. War Widget
    33. Totemic Tool
    34. Scottish Sweeper declined by Vipes
    35. War Widget

Does that make sense? Please, let me know if you disagree.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #306
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,657 Posts
    If i'm honest i'm super surprised that Ertz and I got first place, thanks to everyone who voted, it was a really nice thing to wake up to today.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7 (list)

27. Post #307
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    ...and it's done.

There's a few leftover games that I'm currently raffling off amongst the non-winning entries but all the other prizes have been distributed.

This Arms Race went really smoothly (at least from my point of view) and I've had a good time making the art and writing the code for the website. Still, it was lots of work but it's now in a form that can be reused, so any further Arms Race should be easier and quicker to set up.

Thanks again to everybody participating in the contest and to those who donated prizes!

See you again next year for another Arms Race. Maybe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7 (list)