1. Post #161
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

Let me begin by stating the main requirements for the voting: it has to be fair for all entries, it also has to be convenient (quick and easy) for the voter and a ranking must be computable from it.

with 9 and 10 it seems counter intuitive that the item that no one rated positively is considered better than one 400 people rated positive, even if the net score prefers the former.

I think that may only be fair if it is assumed that all items were viewed by the same number of people and the amount of people "voting neutral" is taken into account. However, that would nullify the rule, "In the final case, when two items have the same amount of points and the same ratio, the item with more votes gets the higher ranking." If we assume the same number of people see each item, then two items of equal proportion will have both the same total votes (obviously) and the same max votes.
    It may seem unfair if you only look at the positive votes, yes. However, the negative (and neutral) votes are being considered here as well by calculating the points for each entry. The neutral votes can be left out of the equation, though. When a positive vote adds 1 point and a negative vote subtracts 1 point, a neutral vote adds 0 points and therefore doesn't change the value. To make sure that each item is viewed by the same number of people the order of items will be randomized for each user. Sure, people can still quit after viewing only a few items which leads to a slight error margin but due to the randomizing this cannot be seen as a bias towards certain items. As for the last rule, I forgot to mention that it's only the positive votes that are considered in that case, as you can see in the code snippet.

Another problem stems from my interpretation of how the voting will take place. I'm interpreting it as the voter looks at each item individually and votes to Like or Dislike the item (with the third option of not choosing either rating by either an explicit way to "skip," "ignore," "neutral vote," etc. or by refreshing or exiting the browser). This leads to situations where two items are considered good enough to not downvote, but if given the choice, voters would prefer one to win over the other.
    Your interpretation is correct, there is only a Like and Dislike vote (or skip) for each item. Like I said in the beginning the voting has to be quick and easy. The more choices you have the longer you have to think about it. If the system was based on a handful of judges this wouldn't work but it's a community voting with hundreds or possibly thousands of votes. The website has had about 25k visitors so far. Only 10% of that would already be 2.500 voters. I have doubts that we'll get that many people to vote but who knows - it still has to be considered.

comparing the two items
    Keep in mind that we have contracts and there is a winner for each contract. So you won't have to compare a wrench to a gun. I understand the concern of not being able to state a preference of liking one item more than another. For that case the Steam Workshop has the "Favourite" button but for the sake of simplicity and time I'm not going to implement that.

Two part system
    Introducing a two part system adds a huge layer of complexity to the whole process not only to the code implementation but also for the voter. For this to be fair the user would have to compare every item with every other item which exponentially increases the time and number of user interactions required to cast the votes. Like I said, one of the requirements is convenience for the user, otherwise people will only cast a few votes or not vote at all.

A 5 star rating might be an alternative but it has a big flaw that's why I'm not using it and surely one of the reasons why they removed it from the workshop. Let's say you love an item and give it the highest rating and the next day another item comes up that you love even more. What rating are you supposed to give it since you've already used the maximum on the previous item? So again there is your problem of not being able to express your preference in that case. For this to work correctly you would have to consider and compare every single item at once which is impossible to do especially if there is new items being added in the future.

----------------------------------------

Let me also add that voting will require a login through Steam. While that goes against the requirement of convenience it helps minimize the risk of vote manipulation and allows to maybe raffle off some prizes amongst the voters (no guarantee I'm doing that but it's a possibility).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #162
    April 2016
    1,489 Posts
    ~snip~ wrong place...

3. Post #163
    April 2014
    75 Posts
    Hey folks. Been a while since I've done anything for TF2 but I thought Arms Race is the perfect chance to find some of my old concepts a good home and hopefully get some more done!
    Here's some old stuff:

A pump-action rifle designed to fit shotgun animations and presumably be multi-class

A soldier secondary rocket launcher pistol thing, made to fit Bison hold and firing animations but requiring a new reload (a new rocket is affixed to the front)

A hunting pistol with the Scout's Shortstop animations in mind, but could conceivably work with the Flaregun or even the unused tranq gun animations.

I'm still somewhat new at this so comments and criticism are always welcome!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #164
    May 2017
    67 Posts
    All great (especially the rocket launcher pistol thing)

Here's an idea

A two headed Baseball bat (it looks like a Y)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Internet Explorer 11 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

5. Post #165
    January 2015
    1,748 Posts

Here's an idea

Y?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #166
    October 2014
    2,339 Posts

Here's an idea

like this?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #167
    May 2017
    67 Posts
    like this?

Exactly (only it splits off further down)

Here's another Scout Melee

A Dakimakura with a baseball bat handle like this

Only with Miss Pauling, the Fried Chicken Tramp or the Engie (NEEDA DISPENSER HERE)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Internet Explorer 11 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

8. Post #168

August 2015
    69 Posts
    Flying bowling pin concept I came up with

Claimable
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #169

October 2012
    20 Posts
    A few random unclaimed things:

Flintlock styled flare-gun for the Pyro, the Firebug's Flintlock:

Ridiculously Large Knife for the Sniper, the BMFK:

I could try my hands on these 2 (when it is ok for you)

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,657 Posts
    I could try my hands on these 2 (when it is ok for you)
    From what i can see you don't really have any experience with modeling, so i'm sorry, but no.

11. Post #171
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    5,664 Posts
    Are you guys still taking submissions? I made this neat gun in hammer

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 17Funny Funny x 5 (list)

12. Post #172

July 2013
    1,671 Posts
    i'm too impressed to even laugh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

13. Post #173
    May 2011
    5,664 Posts

I got it compiled!

Using itemtest loads pistol texture onto it

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10Funny Funny x 3 (list)

14. Post #174
    November 2013
    1,624 Posts

I got it compiled!

I hope this wins first place in every category
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

15. Post #175
    April 2013
    1,280 Posts

I got it compiled!

I think you get your own medal for that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #176
    January 2013
    590 Posts
    he actually did it, the absolute madman
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #177
    May 2017
    67 Posts
    he actually did it, the absolute madman
    I don't get it, can somebody clue me in?

18. Post #178
    April 2016
    209 Posts
    I don't get it, can somebody clue me in?
    hammer is a program to make a map in tf2 or any source engine game it is not meant to make 3d models let alone a working weapon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

19. Post #179
    April 2014
    1,886 Posts
    Exactly (only it splits off further down)

Here's another Scout Melee

A Dakimakura with a baseball bat handle like this

Only with Miss Pauling, the Fried Chicken Tramp or the Engie (NEEDA DISPENSER HERE)

I love this Arms Race already
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPad Safari United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

20. Post #180
    October 2015
    227 Posts

I got it compiled!

Texture it with cp_orange
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

21. Post #181
    May 2011
    5,664 Posts
    MOD DOWNLOAD GUYS!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 15Funny Funny x 8Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #182
    April 2016
    1,489 Posts
    MOD DOWNLOAD GUYS!

Makes me want that Revolver with the extremely long barrel Jack Nicholson has in the first live action Batman movie to shoot down the Batwing next heh:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

23. Post #183
    March 2017
    279 Posts
    Makes me want that Revolver with the extremely long barrel Jack Nicholson has in the first live action Batman movie to shoot down the Batwing next heh:

60% less damage falloff, but 50% slower draw and holster speed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #184

July 2013
    1,671 Posts
    Let me know if anything is unclear about the rules or how to submit your work.
    i just pm'd you the zip.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=952058413

free movie

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11Funny Funny x 2 (list)

25. Post #185
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,214 Posts
    Great concept that Pisstol, but god it would be overpowered if it granted minicrits. Imagine a heavy, medic and sniper walking into a crowded area.

26. Post #186
    May 2017
    67 Posts
    Knife idea: This

With a sharpened Heel to stab with

Taunt would have the Spy take a big whiff of it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Internet Explorer 11 Australia Show Events Funny x 5Dumb x 4Disagree x 2Winner x 1Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #187
    October 2016
    63 Posts
    I can already hear ragequiting Spies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Poland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #188
    hello
    October 2011
    6,781 Posts
    Knife idea: This

this is vile
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

29. Post #189
    January 2013
    590 Posts

you had me and then you immediately lost me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

30. Post #190
    October 2014
    2,339 Posts

why

31. Post #191
    May 2017
    67 Posts
    The shoe smelling taunt isn't necessary and I didn't think the idea would be so taboo for you guys

How about some Bullet Ant Gloves for the Heavy?

Or one of these gloves for the Medic?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Internet Explorer 11 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

32. Post #192
    August 2013
    1,952 Posts
    You should go about thinking of weapons differently.

Look at a gun and think how you could make it interesting,

Don't look at a random object or something on TV and think how you could turn it into a weapon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

33. Post #193
    Dim
    September 2013
    243 Posts

Another concept for the arms race :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10 (list)

34. Post #194
    May 2017
    67 Posts

Don't look at a random object or something on TV and think how you could turn it into a weapon.
    Not really much of a firearms expert

How about an Owen Gun for the Sniper?

35. Post #195
    June 2012
    1,380 Posts
    Engineer building concept: Speed Pad.

This would be a teleporter replacement that gives allies that stand on it a speed boost. The speed boost would fad out over a short time, but will also be stopped if the player uses any weapon or takes any damage. It could be beneficial for shorter distances or situations in which teleporters exits keep on getting destroyed.

Edit:

I'm curious about the late ratings. Has someone already made a speed pad concept/model for TF2?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Late Late x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #196
    July 2016
    651 Posts
    Not really much of a firearms expert

How about an Owen Gun for the Sniper?
    I feel like for this to work the magazine would have to be angled hte other way to keep it from obstructing the view

37. Post #197
    May 2017
    67 Posts
    Googling Weird Firearms is fun

This

For the Spy http://www.genitron.com/Unique-Handg...queezer-Pistol

Also for the Spy

For the Scout

For the Sniper (with the Mercenary from TF2 classic carrying the end)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Internet Explorer 11 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

38. Post #198
    Dim
    September 2013
    243 Posts
    Googling Weird Firearms is fun

This

http://www.genitron.com/Unique/Turbiaux-Palm-Pistol.jpg

For the Spy ttp://www.genitron.com/Unique-Handgun/24/Turbiaux-Palm-Squeezer-Pistol

https://thechive.files.wordpress.com...ns-weird-8.jpg

Also for the Spy

http://img.izismile.com/img/img4/201...rms_640_13.jpg

For the Scout

http://reynosawatch.org/minstrel/wp-...g-long-gun.jpg

For the Sniper (with the Mercenary from TF2 classic carrying the end)
    You should go about thinking of weapons differently.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #199
    January 2012
    451 Posts
    xpost from emporium 66

engie revolver for arms race
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #200
    October 2014
    208 Posts
    Gonna try to finish before the deadline.

Guess I'll post a small update. The Grenade launcher and PPSH were almost done but we ran into a problem with the animations so we gotta redo the anims completely. Sadly they're gonna take a bit more time to upload.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)