1. Post #121
    October 2016
    83 Posts

Idea for a Pogo-stick-shotgun...
    the idea would be that it combines projectile type ammo (resque ranger), in the form of some sort of coil spring, with knockback mechanics (force of nature) to give most if not all shotgun classes some nice bit of free mobility/flanking options.

CLAIMABLE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events Funny Funny x 8Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

2. Post #122
    December 2016
    1,981 Posts

Idea for a Pogo-stick-shotgun...
    the idea would be that it combines projectile type ammo (resque ranger), in the form of some sort of coil spring, with knockback mechanics (force of nature) to give most if not all shotgun classes some nice bit of free mobility/flanking options.

CLAIMABLE
    I want it to be a soldier weapon that lets him mini-rocketjump around the map as long as it has buckshot in it. landing on someone kills them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #123
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    We've gotten the first entry for the Support contract!

AsG_Alligator has made a pretty cool payload cart:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 17Artistic Artistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    May 2017
    67 Posts
    A Lunchbox idea that's probably already been suggested, A Grenade Launcher that fires Haggis (either as stickies or grenades)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Internet Explorer 11 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

5. Post #125
    February 2016
    654 Posts
    The Rivet Punch

A new melee weapon for the Engineer I've been working on and off for a good few weeks, and now I'm quite proud on revealing the final product!

This will also feature a new kill taunt that I'm in the process of storyboarding now, but other than that, this is totally claimable!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

6. Post #126
    August 2013
    1,769 Posts
    now someone needs to make a ballistic fist-esque replacement for the shotgun

7. Post #127

June 2017
    7 Posts
    I made a custom crossbow model. How do i tell the game which part of it replaces the little knob in the back that the medic detaches during the reload animation?
    also how do i make a custom projectile?
    Edit: figured out the weight-painting on the knob, still need help with the projectile

8. Post #128
    March 2014
    5,058 Posts
    The Rivet Punch

A new melee weapon for the Engineer I've been working on and off for a good few weeks, and now I'm quite proud on revealing the final product!

This will also feature a new kill taunt that I'm in the process of storyboarding now, but other than that, this is totally claimable!
    it wouldnt work with engineer's animations
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Opera United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    August 2013
    1,952 Posts
    it wouldnt work with engineer's animations
    It was bothering me too so here's why it doesnt work.

Edit:
    I meant for the blue line to denote knuckle/finger height related to the wrist, not how flat the fingers are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #130
    March 2014
    5,058 Posts
    also all the fingers are oriented flat whereas the engineer's fingers arent

11. Post #131
    March 2017
    279 Posts
    It looks like a bulkier gunslinger addon, so maybe it could work on those?

12. Post #132
    March 2014
    5,058 Posts
    It looks like a bulkier gunslinger addon, so maybe it could work on those?
    gunslinger uses the hand skeleton
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Opera United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #133
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,313 Posts
    ? as if the fingers couldn't be re-oriented? I thought it was kinda obvious they were meant to copy his original finger positions and were just drawn straight so it was easier to draw
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

14. Post #134
    January 2015
    1,748 Posts
    ? as if the fingers couldn't be re-oriented? I thought it was kinda obvious they were meant to copy his original finger positions and were just drawn straight so it was easier to draw
    Then the back end wouldnt line up right with his arm; either the end will be raised up higher than the connection to the arm, or the steel knuckles need to change in a way that allows the hand to be in the center of the wrist (either by shrinking the knucles and their platform or physically raising them higher up on the wrist).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #135
    April 2013
    1,280 Posts
    Or just rig the model so it's attached diagonally and has the knuckles sticking out

16. Post #136
    February 2016
    654 Posts
    Well I'd appreciated if Ikes brought up how this wouldn't work a lot sooner, as I'd been posting wip shots of this for weeks in the TF2 Emp chat and asking for feedback, AND that I posted a WIP shot of the weapon here not even that long ago, so there would've been plenty of time to get into contact with me about that.

But blaming anyone for bad design on my behalf isn't the right thing to do, and I accept that this wouldn't work. This was meant to use the rigging and animation that the gunslinger used, and it's obvious I didn't do too much research into how the gunslinger actually worked.
    And yeah: the fingers were drawn flat so it's make an easier reference for whoever was going to model this, and it would be obvious that I wouldn't really picture them being spread out like that.

Needless to say, I'm accepting that this needs one HELLOVA redesign in order to get this thing to be properly compatible, but I'm not exactly all that happy it took this long to find out how this wouldn't work; especially when I've posted WIP stuff in the past and had asked what would need changing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Australia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #137
    December 2014
    472 Posts
    Wouldn't just raising it fix it like previously mentioned?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    November 2013
    1,624 Posts
    Wouldn't just raising it fix it like previously mentioned?
    take another look at the pic you posted
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

19. Post #139
    March 2014
    5,058 Posts
    honestly i meant to but I'd assumed someone else would before me, then i forgot to

sorry dude

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    1,927 Posts
    also all the fingers are oriented flat whereas the engineer's fingers arent
    That wouldn't be a problem when it gets merged onto the skeleton.

21. Post #141
    March 2014
    5,058 Posts
    That wouldn't be a problem when it gets merged onto the skeleton.
    then everything starts clipping because it wasnt built to work that way

22. Post #142
    August 2013
    1,952 Posts
    then everything starts clipping because it wasnt built to work that way
    Its a concept not a model that part is fine

23. Post #143
    October 2014
    208 Posts
    Here's progress of my 2nd entry for the arms race. Also we're still doing the grenade thing, its almost done.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    April 2016
    209 Posts

Claimable

25. Post #145
    Dim
    September 2013
    243 Posts

Working on other perspectives
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

26. Post #146
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Philippines Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 3 (list)

27. Post #147
    November 2015
    711 Posts
    Maybe "Caution" instead of "Cation"?
    other than that, it's hella good

EDIT :
    "Caution"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

28. Post #148
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,313 Posts
    Maybe "Cauntion" instead of "Cation"?
    other than that, it's hella good
    "Caution" might be even better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 7 (list)

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    503 Posts
    Also:

"Keep out of reach of Spies" -- correct the plural spelling of Spy. "For the enemies only" seems a little awkward; overall "Keep out of reach of enemy Spies" would be better.

"These drugs are for licensed doctors only." -OR- "This drug is for licensed doctors only." You currently have mixed plurals. I guess on further thinking, you might want to adding "use by" in there. "These drugs are for use by licensed doctors only."

And "Quickly stab into someone's back." Back should be singular.

Sorry to be all grammar-y. It's a really clever item.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #150
    October 2014
    208 Posts
    Texture is mostly finished. All thats needed is edge wear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #151
    August 2013
    1,952 Posts
    Minigun for the Medic.
    Any thoughts before I pass it off to Meta for texturing?
    Will have spinning barrel idle anims, plus sped up barrel spin for firing if I can figure out how to do it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 15Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

32. Post #152
    March 2012
    1,428 Posts
    That hose/bullet belt is super cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 11Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #153
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    The voting mechanics should be ready for a beta test soon.

I've come up with a solution for determining the item ranking but I would like to confirm that I got it right before any drama ensues later on. So maybe someone with a logic brain could think this through as well...

Each item can have any number of positive and negative votes. From that I'm calculating the points for each item by subtracting the negatives from the positives. Let's say one item has 100 positive and 40 negative votes, that's:
    Code:
    100 positive votes - 40 negative votes = 60 points
    ...this points rating determines which items are the most popular.

Now, if two items have the same amount of points (they are equally popular) the ratio of positive vs. negative votes will also be considered - that's like the percentage value you might know from the workshop. It is calculated by positive votes times 100, divided by the item's total votes, e.g. for an item with 100 positive and 40 negative votes that is:
    Code:
    100 positive votes * 100 / (100 positive votes + 40 negative votes) = 71.43 %
    ...in that case the item with the better ratio has a higher ranking.

In the final case, when two items have the same amount of points and the same ratio, the item with more positive votes gets the higher ranking.

Here's an example ranking with various cases:

And the implementation of the comparison:
    Code:
    	/**
    	 * Compare items by ranking
    	 * @param array $a	// Item A array ('positive', 'negative', 'ratio', 'points')
    	 * @param array $B	// Item B array ('positive', 'negative', 'ratio', 'points')
    	 * @return integer
    	 */
    	private static function compareItemsByRanking($a, $b) {
    		// Same amount of positive and negative votes:
    		if ($a['positive'] === $b['positive'] && $a['negative'] === $b['negative']) {
    			return 0;
    		}
    		// Same amount of points (positive minus negative votes):
    		if ($a['points'] === $b['points']) {
    			// Same ratio of positive vs. negative votes (percentage of positive votes):
    			if ($a['ratio'] === $b['ratio']) {
    				// More positive votes for B:
    				if ($a['positive'] !== $b['positive']) {
    					return ($a['positive'] < $b['positive']) ? 1 : -1;
    				}
    				return 0;
    			}
    			// Better ratio for B:
    			return ($a['ratio'] < $b['ratio']) ? 1 : -1;
    		}
    		// More points for B:
    		return ($a['points'] < $b['points']) ? 1 : -1;
    	}
    Did I miss any cases? Do you think this is fair for everybody?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #154
    January 2015
    1,748 Posts
    Did I miss any cases? Do you think this is fair for everybody?
    with 9 and 10 it seems counter intuitive that the item that no one rated positively is considered better than one 400 people rated positive, even if the net score prefers the former.

I think that may only be fair if it is assumed that all items were viewed by the same number of people and the amount of people "voting neutral" is taken into account. However, that would nullify the rule, "In the final case, when two items have the same amount of points and the same ratio, the item with more votes gets the higher ranking." If we assume the same number of people see each item, then two items of equal proportion will have both the same total votes (obviously) and the same max votes.

Another problem stems from my interpretation of how the voting will take place. I'm interpreting it as the voter looks at each item individually and votes to Like or Dislike the item (with the third option of not choosing either rating by either an explicit way to "skip," "ignore," "neutral vote," etc. or by refreshing or exiting the browser). This leads to situations where two items are considered good enough to not downvote, but if given the choice, voters would prefer one to win over the other.

For example, lets look at two items on the workshop:

Totemic Tool

The Forest Fire

If looking at just the wrench, and given the choice of "Like" or "Dislike," I would vote "Like." I would do the same for the gun. However, for the sake of example, lets say I like the wrench, but I LOVE the gun. With a like/dislike system, I have no way of expressing this preference other than voting like for the one item I like the most and either downvoting or not voting at all for the others.

To me, the best way to set up the vote is to have a two part system. The voter is taken to a page with two items. Both items have a dropdown list where one could vote "Like," "Dislike," or "Neutral" (the default being neutral). If the voter chooses neutral or dislike to either item, the vote is done and they are given a new pair of items. If they vote "Like" for both, then part two of the vote is opened where they are asked on which of the two they prefer and they are given 5 options:

*I like A much better than B
    *I like A a bit better than B
    *I like A and B equally
    *I like A a bit less than B
    *I like A much less than B

Alternatively the first section can be skipped and the second part can be the vote, where the items get a certain level of points depending on what level of preference they have over the other, something like the first choice giving 3 points to A and 0 to B, the second gives A 2 points and B 1 point, third not contributing points to either, etc. Or a percentage slider could be used to allow greater precision of voting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #155
    August 2013
    1,952 Posts
    I don't know the vote counts of past Arms Races or community comps but I don't see that as a problem. If it was judged by a select few then that solution would be good but when theres hundreds of voters I think having only Yes/Neutral/No is optimal. Much easier to deal with 40 guns with 2-3 data values as opposed to 40 guns with 5 data values that must then be weighted and scaled differently, and adds complication to calculating a "score".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #156

June 2017
    7 Posts

Almost done with this crossbow model for medic. Any thoughts before i start texturing?
    Does it fit the style, Does it read well?
    How do you handle valve's <6500 triangle recommendation?
    This currently has ~6300 so i can't bevel much more, if i want to stay below that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

37. Post #157
    January 2015
    1,748 Posts
    The square panel could use fewer, but thicker slits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    June 2012
    1,380 Posts
    Alternative voting idea.
    I think this is a bit too complicated. If more precise opinions are desired, I think a 5 star rating would server that goal better.

However, I like Gadget's current proposal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #159
    July 2016
    651 Posts
    with 9 and 10 it seems counter intuitive that the item that no one rated positively is considered better than one 400 people rated positive, even if the net score prefers the former.

I think that may only be fair if it is assumed that all items were viewed by the same number of people and the amount of people "voting neutral" is taken into account. However, that would nullify the rule, "In the final case, when two items have the same amount of points and the same ratio, the item with more votes gets the higher ranking." If we assume the same number of people see each item, then two items of equal proportion will have both the same total votes (obviously) and the same max votes.

Another problem stems from my interpretation of how the voting will take place. I'm interpreting it as the voter looks at each item individually and votes to Like or Dislike the item (with the third option of not choosing either rating by either an explicit way to "skip," "ignore," "neutral vote," etc. or by refreshing or exiting the browser). This leads to situations where two items are considered good enough to not downvote, but if given the choice, voters would prefer one to win over the other.

For example, lets look at two items on the workshop:

Totemic Tool

The Forest Fire

If looking at just the wrench, and given the choice of "Like" or "Dislike," I would vote "Like." I would do the same for the gun. However, for the sake of example, lets say I like the wrench, but I LOVE the gun. With a like/dislike system, I have no way of expressing this preference other than voting like for the one item I like the most and either downvoting or not voting at all for the others.

To me, the best way to set up the vote is to have a two part system. The voter is taken to a page with two items. Both items have a dropdown list where one could vote "Like," "Dislike," or "Neutral" (the default being neutral). If the voter chooses neutral or dislike to either item, the vote is done and they are given a new pair of items. If they vote "Like" for both, then part two of the vote is opened where they are asked on which of the two they prefer and they are given 5 options:

*I like A much better than B
    *I like A a bit better than B
    *I like A and B equally
    *I like A a bit less than B
    *I like A much less than B

Alternatively the first section can be skipped and the second part can be the vote, where the items get a certain level of points depending on what level of preference they have over the other, something like the first choice giving 3 points to A and 0 to B, the second gives A 2 points and B 1 point, third not contributing points to either, etc. Or a percentage slider could be used to allow greater precision of voting.
    I still miss when valve actually had a "Top Rated of All Time" section for hats on the workshop, it was kinda cool to see what the people wanted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

40. Post #160
    September 2014
    119 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Korea, Republic of Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)