1. Post #1
    June 2013
    5,501 Posts
    http://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-le...-zionist-plot/

In honor of Iranian mother’s day, supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei took to Twitter Sunday to share his views on gender issues, asserting that the West considers women to be “goods and means of pleasure” and that this is the product of the “Zionists’ plot.”

The seven-tweet ramble came on the birth anniversary of Fatimah Zahra, the daughter of Islam’s Prophet Mohammed, which is also designated as mother’s day in the country.

Khamenei seemed to be responding to what he views as a culture of “humiliating housewives” when in his opinion, the role means the responsibility of “raising humans and producing highest product in [the] universe i.e. human being.”

The supreme leader attributed this flaw in Western culture to a Zionist conspiracy “to destroy human community.”

Seemingly wary of being perceived as sexist due to his elevation of the housewife role, Khameini went on to explain that “men and women are no different in some aspects like ‘spiritual ascension,’ ‘leadership power’ or ‘ability to guide humanity.’”

The supreme leader concluded his Twitter spurt by slamming “West[ern]”-promoted terms such as “gender justice” and “gender equality.”

Khameini argued that justice is, in fact, “realizing and nurturing capabilities God has gifted;” suggesting that duties of a traditional housewife must take priority in order for a woman to fulfill her proper role in society.

The supreme leader has frequently used Twitter as a platform to voice his negative opinions of Zionism.

2. Post #2
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,688 Posts
    Well you're wrong

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    6,826 Posts
    highest product in [the] universe i.e. human being
    God I hope that isn't true.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    2,310 Posts
    This dude's a real asshole. When I was in Iran with my relatives in Shiraz, they'd always groan whenever he was speaking in the news. He's almost a bigger joke than Ahmadinejad, imho.

Really, a lot of urban Iranians hate him from what I can tell, they just can't do anything about it until the dude dies. The people who support him are either rural or something like Yazdi, and they really only do it because he doesn't like the United States (which, unsurprisingly, a lot of Iranians do, even liberal ones).

It's also hilarious that Khamenei celebrates Fatimah's birth anniversary, when she would almost certainly hate his guts if she was still alive, considering the stupid shit he's said against women's rights activists in the country.

Don't like to say the phrase much, but I hope the dude dies soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 8 (list)

5. Post #5
    February 2016
    258 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 19 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2011
    618 Posts
    The people who support him are either rural or something like Yazdi, and they really only do it because he doesn't like the United States (which, unsurprisingly, a lot of Iranians do, even liberal ones).
    Are you saying a lot of Iranians dislike or like the United States? Just curious, I couldn't tell by your wording.

7. Post #7
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    September 2010
    8,279 Posts
    If you thought having an exceptionally crappy leader being elected was bad enough, imagine how much worse it would be if you or your fellow countrymen didn't have the power to vote them out of office.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    2,310 Posts
    Are you saying a lot of Iranians dislike or like the United States? Just curious, I couldn't tell by your wording.
    My bad, a majority dislike the US government, a lot. If you ever visit, they're usually totally fine with regular American citizens. The danger, however, starts when you start entering the ghettos/deep rural areas.

If you thought having an exceptionally crappy leader being elected was bad enough, imagine how much worse it would be if you or your fellow countrymen didn't have the power to vote them out of office.
    The worst part is that the Supreme Leader isn't even directly appointed by the people. He's chosen by the Assembly of Experts, a group of around 85 Mujtahids (مجتهد), or Islamic law interpreters/advisors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,561 Posts
    My bad, a majority dislike the US government, a lot. If you ever visit, they're usually totally fine with regular American citizens. The danger, however, starts when you start entering the ghettos/deep rural areas.

The worst part is that the Supreme Leader isn't even directly appointed by the people. He's chosen by the Assembly of Experts, a group of around 85 Mujtahids (مجتهد), or Islamic law interpreters/advisors.
    I married into an Iranian family, all of whom happen to be apart of a Iran's largest religious minority (Baha'i) that has suffered a lot since the Iranian Revolution especially at the hands of the Ayatollah. Definitely hoping things take a better turn there, as I've always wanted to visit Iran.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    2,310 Posts
    I married into an Iranian family, all of whom happen to be apart of a Iran's largest religious minority (Baha'i) that has suffered a lot since the Iranian Revolution especially at the hands of the Ayatollah. Definitely hoping things take a better turn there, as I've always wanted to visit Iran.
    It's a magnificent country that's unfortunately rife with a lot of issues and divisions due to a multitude of reasons. It's going to be a long and steep hike for liberal and secular Muslims to topple the Islamic Republic, but I do feel that it's inevitable. Though, that depends on the actions of Western nations and especially the United States in the Middle East.

I hope you get your chance to visit soon! It was really fun talking to locals and visiting monuments and points of interest, especially places like the Sheikh Lotfollah Mosque and Vank Cathedral.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,125 Posts
    I'm more familiar with Iran's history than any other country in the Middle East, it really blows that they got stuck with such a pointlessly backward government.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    20,042 Posts
    love the fact that he contradicts himself. if women were created equally in spirit by god and can be equal leaders according to god then why are women not allowed to hold anything higher than a local position, aren't allowed to be muslim spiritual leaders and aren't allowed to live as equals in stature to men in iran?

thankfully due to obama and soft diplomacy the moderates won a huge manority in the government including the council that picks his successor. unfortunately we now have trump who will most likely flip the government to ultra conservatives

13. Post #13
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    September 2010
    8,279 Posts
    Also from what I can recall the president can't do anything the supreme leader doesn't like, rendering Iranian "democracy" near pointless.