1. Post #1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events Winner Winner x 34Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Ask me about my unicorn fetish
    June 2013
    498 Posts
    If other triple A devs could follow then we migth start seeing some ports for mac/*nix
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #3
    October 2016
    869 Posts
    Vulkan is super neat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    11,003 Posts
    a vulcan toggle in a game's settings is literally a "make this run better" button if you have an AMD card
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United States Show Events Agree x 15Artistic x 1Useful x 1Funny x 1Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,244 Posts
    I've heard vulcan is like 10x harder than openGL or directX for the developers. Is there any truth to that?

If it's not too bad I might consider learning how to use it myself

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,904 Posts
    I hope it doesn't bite them back in the end, especially if they plan to completely drop directx.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    19,124 Posts
    I've heard vulcan is like 10x harder than openGL or directX for the developers. Is there any truth to that?

It's a properly asynchronous API, which means changing up a lot of how you think about rendering. Everything is queued up now, and the GPU drivers handle the execution rather than you just requesting operations directly.

Any API that becomes asynchronous really fucks with developers who are used to synchronous or partially-async development because you have to be much, much more careful with how you do, well, anything really.

10x harder might be an overstatement, but it will require a fair bit of experimenting in to get going. I've yet to really try it myself, time-to-triangle in OpenGL 3.2+ is quite low due to it just working, but Vulkan I have no idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    10,259 Posts

Vulcan is essentially the DX12 to OpenGL and had started development a little bit after AMD did their Mantle API, and is built using pieces of said API.

A few games are utilizing it (Law of Talos, DOOM, DotA 2,) as well as some emulators (Dolphin, PPSSPP, and apparently RPCS3x)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    19,124 Posts
    That and it's just lower level in general. It's up to you to handle cleaning up of resources for the most part it seems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    October 2016
    869 Posts

I've worked with it a very little bit. One problem is that it's not used enough to have a butt load of documentation and other people to use as resources when you run into bugs and stuff, etc. It's harder, but usable if you're dedicated enough to rethinking how you do rendering and stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Killed postal with a fart once.
    December 2007
    14,811 Posts
    I'm not sure I like them dropping DirectX completely, I like having as many options as possible, but I'm glad we've got another game to add to the list of games that use Vulkan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    June 2007
    595 Posts
    I'm not sure I like them dropping DirectX completely, I like having as many options as possible, but I'm glad we've got another game to add to the list of games that use Vulkan.
    Nah, it's better to drop DirectX. Vulkan is open source, open platform. Vulkan is better for everyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Artistic Artistic x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    9,380 Posts
    a vulcan toggle in a game's settings is literally a "make this run better" button if you have an AMD card
    If Vulkan is implemented right.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    7,658 Posts
    They've been in the talks about migrating to one of the new render API's for awhile as its pretty integral to the game. It just turns out they probably used Vulcan so that their Win7 user base doesn't get left behind as opposed to DX12.

15. Post #15
    They've been in the talks about migrating to one of the new render API's for awhile as its pretty integral to the game. It just turns out they probably used Vulcan so that their Win7 user base doesn't get left behind as opposed to DX12.
    The promised Linux support essentially mandated an alternative to DX12 after MS shackled it to Win10, too.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    19,124 Posts
    Moving to either would have put a hard floor in the GPU support either way, so why not go with the open platform in the end anyway!

17. Post #17
    Gold Member

April 2011
    4,304 Posts
    Nah, it's better to drop DirectX. Vulkan is open source, open platform. Vulkan is better for everyone.
    That was the same advantage of OpenGL compared to DirectX for how many years now ?

18. Post #18
    October 2015
    440 Posts
    I don't understand why you would use DirectX 12 over Vulkan.

They essentially serve the same purposes except that the latter is more open and supports many additional platforms.

19. Post #19
    December 2007
    14,811 Posts
    I like to futureproof. Who knows what might happen and accidentally cause some sort of incompatibility years from now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Steam United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    One thing to keep in mind: While I'm sure Ali isn't making shit up, it's important to know that forum posts are simply that -- the individual dev posting their opinions/with their knowledge. They may not have the full story or may have outdated or incomplete information. This news story is based entirely on a forum post.

I believe that Ali is correct about CIG's plans to choose Vulkan for the long-term, but a forum post (unless it's by Chris Roberts) isn't official, vetted-by-legal policy. The true details may vary a little bit from the info we have right now.

Edited:

I like to futureproof. Who knows what might happen and accidentally cause some sort of incompatibility years from now?
    Vulkan's an open standard, unlike DX, so the likelihood is that a Vulkan-based solution would be in a better position to correct any problems like that than if Star Citizen hitched itself to Microsoft's Win10-only proprietary solution.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,100 Posts
    Vulkan also comes with the bonus of having a complete conformance suite, to be certified as a Vulkan driver you have to pass the entirety of it.
    Having the conformance suite means you don't need to worry as much about driver incompatibilities in the future, since any regressions or other breaking changes will be caught by the tests.

22. Post #22
    December 2007
    14,811 Posts
    Vulkan's an open standard, unlike DX, so the likelihood is that a Vulkan-based solution would be in a better position to correct any problems like that than if Star Citizen hitched itself to Microsoft's Win10-only proprietary solution.
    So good thing the whole point of my post is that I don't want just a singular solution?