1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,334 Posts
    Around 350 businesses in Britain have been named and shamed by the Government for underpaying thousands of workers a total of nearly £1m.

It is the biggest ever list of the national minimum wage and living wage offenders produced by the Business Department since the policy of “naming and shaming” was announced in 2013.

Excuses for underpaying workers included using tips to top up pay, docking wages to pay for Christmas parties, and making staff pay for their own uniforms.

Across the UK, 360 companies underpaid their employees a total of £995,233, with employers in the hairdressing, hospitality and retail sectors the most prolific offenders.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7582726.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Australia Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

2. Post #2
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    September 2010
    17,110 Posts
    How is that possible? How does that happen? Are there really people out there other than Philip J Fry who are willing to accept being paid under minimum wage?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

3. Post #3
    November 2012
    2,407 Posts
    Comparing this with the shit that goes on in the us makes for an interesting image.

Like shit, a government that actually shames companies for mistreating workers? Instead of colluding openly with corporations? What a novel concept.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Denmark Show Events Starred Starred x 8 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    15,274 Posts
    How is that possible? How does that happen? Are there really people out there other than Philip J Fry who are willing to accept being paid under minimum wage?
    Excuses for underpaying workers included using tips to top up pay, docking wages to pay for Christmas parties, and making staff pay for their own uniforms.
    Fucking typical.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 36 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member

April 2011
    4,211 Posts
    Across the UK, 360 companies underpaid their employees a total of £995,233
    Am I reading this right, or that is basically nothing given the size of the economy ? I mean look at this example... lol.

Among the offenders high street retailer Debenhams was accused of failing to pay almost £135,000 to just under 12,000 workers. The company said it made a technical error in its payroll calculations, which resulted in an average underpayment of around £10 per person to affected workers in 2015.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Croatia Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    36,990 Posts
    Fucking typical.
    The tips and paying for your own uniform is bad, but I can see their angle.

The docking of pay for christmas parties is atrocious though and probably criminal.

7. Post #7
    July 2010
    588 Posts
    I remember when the minimum wage increased in Scotland and it took my old company 3 months to update my pay and never paid me the difference in what I was owed.

8. Post #8
    February 2007
    1,006 Posts
    Am I reading this right, or that is basically nothing given the size of the economy ? I mean look at this example... lol.
    It shows just how shocking their pay is if skimming £10 off your workers monthly salary results in them being paid under minimum. Also bare in mind workers on this wage pay minimal/no income tax, are well below the national living wage and will have to rely on the government handouts to make it through each month.

The greed of these businesses is resulting in an lower quality of life for the workers along with an increasing strain on our social security service equivalent
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    July 2010
    588 Posts
    It shows just how shocking their pay is if skimming £10 off your workers monthly salary results in them being paid under minimum. Also bare in mind workers on this wage pay minimal/no income tax, are well below the national living wage and will have to rely on the government handouts to make it through each month.

The greed of these businesses is resulting in an lower quality of life for the workers along with an increasing strain on our social security service equivalent
    When I worked for the same company I mentioned I had to live with my parents. My travel costs were over £6 a day and my monthly expendable income didn't exist; all went on food

10. Post #10
    Dennab
    July 2016
    1,699 Posts
    I worked minimum wage in the uk and pretty much had all i needed and then some

Saved like 1500 quid in three months

11. Post #11
    July 2010
    588 Posts

How many hours did you work though? The region I am from generally asks for x years of experience for anything that is not a 10-15 hour a week thing with shitty pay. It's why most people leave as soon as they can

12. Post #12

January 2012
    69 Posts
    Why aren't these companies being fined? They're just saying who does it and not doing anything about it...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Opera Mini Norway Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    9,369 Posts
    Fucking typical.
    I worked for a local amusement park when I was 16, they charged me $60 for a uniform, all it was was a polo shirt with their god damn name on it, I was paid minimum wage, never got a raise, and the whole god damn summer it was hot af, sitting in the sun.

14. Post #14
    I am the Asian Ed Sheeran Rabbit - My sister
    June 2012
    8,369 Posts
    There are some people (like my mother) who thinks that, what you earn is something deeply private. So they'll never find out that their emplyer is fucking them in the arse

15. Post #15
    Contron's Favourite Foxy
    May 2007
    1,616 Posts
    They tend to obscure it so you don't realise and don't mention it.

One of the more common ways is smaller businesses docking 10% of your hours for breaks you aren't allowed to have, especially in the service industry, so you end up at below minimum wage.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    949 Posts
    The tips and paying for your own uniform is bad, but I can see their angle.

The docking of pay for christmas parties is atrocious though and probably criminal.
    What angle is that? Neither can be justified. The employer should provide all that is required to perform the job, especially the uniform, given that they're the ones demanding it be worn.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    3,502 Posts

Where? If I took my wage down south I'd be homeless.

18. Post #18
    October 2016
    561 Posts
    Where? If I took my wage down south I'd be homeless.
    I thought the Brexit meant no more immigration from north to south?

19. Post #19
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,750 Posts
    There are some people (like my mother) who thinks that, what you earn is something deeply private. So they'll never find out that their emplyer is fucking them in the arse
    On top of this, some employers have gone to the length to make it against policy to talk about pay openly with coworkers. And since its the cultural norm to not talk about pay, nobody challenges it. But in the US at least, those policies are illegal and have been since 1935. I'm sure most western nations have similar laws.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,922 Posts
    The lower classes are completely fucked here.
    Nobody wants you on welfare, the welfare system is designed to be impossible to live on for any length of time, and yet finding a job that actually pays the minimum wage, let alone a wage you can live on is like winning the fucking lottery.
    So even if you do tirelessly search for a job, you are more than likely just looking for a way to significantly lower your income while suddenly incurring travel expenses etc and losing all financial support.

Perhaps instead of 'naming and shaming' them, something should be done about it?

21. Post #21
    dai

February 2006
    32,187 Posts
    Fucking typical.
    making staff pay for their own uniforms.
    reminds me, just yesterday I went to a business networking thing and met a dude who manages for a limo company in the area. Sent the info to a friend who's driven in the past and has been looking at uber for opportunities lately, and he immediately told me who owned the company and that you have to lease a limo from the company for 400/week in order to drive it, and you're required to drive 6 full workdays a week

like dude what

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    16,641 Posts
    reminds me, just yesterday I went to a business networking thing and met a dude who manages for a limo company in the area. Sent the info to a friend who's driven in the past and has been looking at uber for opportunities lately, and he immediately told me who owned the company and that you have to lease a limo from the company for 400/week in order to drive it, and you're required to drive 6 full workdays a week

like dude what
    thats just like those shady vacuum/kitchen knife sales jobs you see ads for on craigslist where you gotta buy what youre gonna be selling for the company

23. Post #23
    April 2006
    143 Posts
    Nobody wants you on welfare, the welfare system is designed to be impossible to live on for any length of time, and yet finding a job that actually pays the minimum wage, let alone a wage you can live on is like winning the fucking lottery.
    So even if you do tirelessly search for a job, you are more than likely just looking for a way to significantly lower your income while suddenly incurring travel expenses etc and losing all financial support.
    People see how folks can scrape by on benefits yet get completely fucked when employed in some zero hour, min wage job and somehow think "hmmmmm the benefits are too generous, let's cut them into the ground".
    It's getting to the point where people have full time jobs yet still have to apply for tax credits and housing benefit.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,922 Posts
    People see how folks can scrape by on benefits yet get completely fucked when employed in some zero hour, min wage job and somehow think "hmmmmm the benefits are too generous, let's cut them into the ground".
    It's getting to the point where people have full time jobs yet still have to apply for tax credits and housing benefit.
    Yeah man I fucking I hate that attitude.
    If your job pays less than welfare, there's something wrong with your job, not with welfare. Why work to make everyone equality as miserable when you could instead be working to improve things for everyone?. Just makes no sense to me.

25. Post #25
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,750 Posts

like dude what
    When I worked an auto shop for my first job, I had to pay a $10 fee each pay period to pay for uniform rental and cleaning. Now, granted, that's not obnoxiously expensive, but when you were making 7.75 an hour part time, it felt like a kick in the gut to basically lose an hour of work just to have the privilege to work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)