1. Post #1
    April 2011
    1,157 Posts
    A Russian driver distracted by her mobile phone has injured seven people after ploughing into a group of pedestrians while driving a brand new car.
    Source: http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/0...lking-on-phone

Video included.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2013
    2,936 Posts
    Agentfazexx's wife strikes again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 322Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    5,069 Posts
    I can't imagine doing anything on a brand new car except enjoying driving it and just taking in that wonderful new car scent but I guess some people find the facebook post about Natalya's new cat more interesting that they'd rather just do that instead

I'm interested in knowing what car it was since I thought most cars sold in 2017 would have sensors that stop the car from hitting shit like this. A cheap new SEAT wagon I rented in 2012 had em for christ sake
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Portugal Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    8,035 Posts
    There needs to be harsher penalties for driving with your phone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 21 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    8,796 Posts
    I never understood how people can be so distracted by phones. Don't get me wrong I like my phone, but when I'm driving I'm doing just that. I've had way to many close calls due to other peoples careless actions. Plus I like my new car, and wish to keep it in good condition.
    Even my car is one big bluetooth accessory and can do speech to text for me. I get a text, it reads it, and I respond. All without touching a single button.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

6. Post #6
    May 2013
    1,216 Posts
    There needs to be harsher penalties for driving with your phone
    People will always drive with their phones out. There's simply too much going on and too much to keep up with (most of it work related) that the average person can't resist the urge. What really needs to happen is for voice recognition software and bluetooth etc. to reach a higher level of integration and practicality in vehicles so that people don't feel like they have to take their life in their hands.

Just my opinion, not necessarily backed up by hard evidence.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,177 Posts
    People will always drive with their phones out. There's simply too much going on and too much to keep up with (most of it work related) that the average person can't resist the urge. What really needs to happen is for voice recognition software and bluetooth etc. to reach a higher level of integration and practicality in vehicles so that people don't feel like they have to take their life in their hands.

Here in California we have a law that requires all phone use to be hands free while driving. It's relatively new though, so no idea on its effectiveness.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    8,035 Posts

Doesn't matter, they make the choice to look at it, their choice ends up hurting other people. If they can't resist the urge to check their phone while they're moving however fast they are, and can't just wait to do it when they aren't moving, then maybe they shouldn't have a license to drive a vehicle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 21 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,842 Posts

People need to learn to disconnect, need to learn what 'clock out' truly means.
    Here in California we have a law that requires all phone use to be hands free while driving. It's relatively new though, so no idea on its effectiveness.

As a subscriber to Stanley Roberts' youtube channel I can assuredly say it does fuck all to curb phone usage in the Bay Area.

10. Post #10
    January 2008
    11,229 Posts

People here thought the same until last year.

Stats show that after two months of lag time the number of offences logged daily plummeted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member

April 2011
    4,211 Posts
    It blows my mind that none of the pedestrians actually bothered looking left until the car was about to hit them. I don't even start crossing the street until I see cars at least start to slow down, and I don't stop looking until I am safe on the other side. Was still almost hit once, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Croatia Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    29,883 Posts
    People will always drive with their phones out. There's simply too much going on and too much to keep up with that the average person can't resist the urge.
    Then these people can pay their fines, because phone driving is equivelent to DUI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Steam United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    September 2010
    17,110 Posts
    context for the lazy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    23,384 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome India Show Events Starred Starred x 16 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2013
    4,382 Posts
    I really can't understand the mentality behind using your phone while driving. I'm taking driver's lessons myself now and I already nearly lost control over the wheel once when I got confused with the gear shifter. Oh and I was using my phone while on my bike and nearly crashed into a tree, so that never again too.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    7,273 Posts
    It blows my mind that none of the pedestrians actually bothered looking left until the car was about to hit them. I don't even start crossing the street until I see cars at least start to slow down, and I don't stop looking until I am safe on the other side. Was still almost hit once, though.
    Seems like a very safe crossing to me, also the fact that the car was going comparatively slow, so I take it when peds looked at it it seemed like it was stopping. And it caught them off guard.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,057 Posts
    When i was in uni it was in the city , i always waited till the cars stopped before crossing or were far enough away for me to walk out of their way if they did not stop.
    I realllllyyy dont want to be hit by a dipshit who goes through a orange light or uses their phone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    4,863 Posts
    the fault is totally on the woman driving while texting and i hope she gets in tons of trouble, but jesus christ these people were so oblivious.

i've been taught to look both ways before crossing/stay aware while crossing even if its green, hard to believe there's people who just stare forwards and hope for the best.

it should ofcourse be the default that you can cross without having to hope for the best, but while thats not possible its better to be safe than sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

19. Post #19
    May 2006
    1,972 Posts
    Man you're wasted on here xD

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,903 Posts
    In England it's a 300 on the spot fine (I think anyways, maybe it's less) and 3 points on your license. Rightly so.

I can't believe people still do it. If you're driving, you're driving, nothing else!

Anyone have that video where they ask kids if they look at their phone whilst driving then bring in the victim of an accident which happened because of it?

21. Post #21
    Naci's Sidekick
    July 2010
    15,183 Posts
    need to learn what 'clock out' truly means.
    Sadly that isn't an option for everyone.
    Employers have started to decide that even your personal time is their time and that not allowing that is grounds for termination.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    10,776 Posts
    In England it's a 300 on the spot fine (I think anyways, maybe it's less) and 3 points on your license. Rightly so.

I can't believe people still do it. If you're driving, you're driving, nothing else!

Anyone have that video where they ask kids if they look at their phone whilst driving then bring in the victim of an accident which happened because of it?
    It's gone up. 6 points. Two strikes and you're sitting a new test. New test if it's your first 6 months of driving.

23. Post #23
    May 2016
    131 Posts
    They're probably going to give her another bullshit insurance increase

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    2,700 Posts
    Never would've expected to laugh out loud when I opened this article. Props.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,237 Posts
    How did she not hit the brake until after she had mowed through everyone?

26. Post #26
    January 2012
    235 Posts
    This is the kind of shit I get scared of everyday while bycicling on a road with cars. People with their fucking phones in their face ready to cripple me into a wheelchair or kill me.

27. Post #27
    What fun is there in making sense?
    October 2007
    10,782 Posts
    I can't tell who was dumber, the woman hitting the first pedestrians, yelping, and then continuing to drive through them, or

The pedestrians that kept walking into her path after she blew the red light and started driving into people.

28. Post #28
    January 2014
    3,698 Posts
    I can't tell who was dumber, the woman hitting the first pedestrians, yelping, and then continuing to drive through them, or

The pedestrians that kept walking into her path after she blew the red light and started driving into people.
    Are you fucking serious?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Finland Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    Swaggon owner
    August 2011
    5,461 Posts
    As people have said, needs to be harsher penalties for people using their mobile phone while driving. I absolutely cannot stand it especially since I primarily ride a motorbike. Thank fuck lanefiltering is legal where I live, I've avoided being rear ended 15 times in 7 months (Person crashed into the person who was just in front of me), all of them caused by people on their mobile phone.

As far as I'm concerned, should be immidiate licence loss and a big fine, just like DUI should be too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,991 Posts

There's always that guy. I was gonna say I don't need to say anything because your avatar explains enough but then I saw your title which made even more sense

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    10,177 Posts
    There's no excuse to being on the phone in a car, if you can buy a car and a phone then you can buy a hands-free.

32. Post #32
    December 2012
    3,136 Posts

what

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,693 Posts
    Sadly that isn't an option for everyone.
    Employers have started to decide that even your personal time is their time and that not allowing that is grounds for termination.
    It's bad enough that they would bother you when you're at home, but if an employer punishes you for not answering while driving he can go fuck himself.
    Pretty sure you can sue if that ever happens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome France Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)