1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,327 Posts
    A Canadian court has awarded a former Burger King cook $46,000 ($35,000 USD, £28,000) in damages after she was fired for taking home a fish sandwich, fries and beverage.

Usha Ram says her manager gave her permission to take home the food.

The 55-year-old immigrant from Fiji had worked at various Burger King locations around Vancouver for 24 years.

Her boss, Janif Mohammed, fired her to warn other staff against theft.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38996427
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Australia Show Events Starred Starred x 15 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    31,792 Posts
    Mr Mohammed, who defended himself, says Ms Ram was an exemplary employee, a "wonderful lady" and a "good worker". The two had worked together since 1989.
    On 30 December, Ms Ram was called into the office with Ms Salman and Mr Mohammed, who accused her of stealing. Ms Ram began to cry, and offered to pay him for the food she took, but Mr Mohammed told her to go home. Later, he told the judge her offer to pay was an admission of theft.
    Well I'm confused.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 24 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,285 Posts
    Well I'm confused.
    Probably the "good cop", that didn't expect her to do that.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    27,948 Posts
    Well I'm confused.
    Certainly sends the message to the other employees who haven't been there for 25 years "You're fucking disposable."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 68 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,461 Posts
    Well theft was a big problem when I was working at McDonald's here so it isn't exactly surprising, fast food theft is treated really seriously by the chains.
    I mean they should have given her a warning/probation first but its not like because shes worked in the same chain for so long that she's above the rules

6. Post #6
    January 2008
    1,372 Posts
    sweet justice, burgers are $$, theft is bad, should have bought 2 99cent nuggets. or had written approval that you received a meal (gift) soon you can make 46k on tax write-offs

7. Post #7
    November 2016
    147 Posts
    When I worked at a fast food joint I took fries and shit on a daily basis. Manager never batted an eye as what was considered waste wasn't servable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    DO YOU SLAP THE IMOUTO?YES/NO
    August 2010
    6,890 Posts
    So the chain lost $46,000 because the manager was an idiot and didn't bother to stop and ask her about the 50¢ fries and drink (after employee discount) and instead managed to get the boss to fire her, a veteran employee without apology.

Theft isn't good but that was horrifically sloppy of the manager.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Starred Starred x 25 (list)

9. Post #9
    May 2007
    1,555 Posts
    Not quite fast food, but when I worked in retail selling shoes the company put out a lot of internet stuff regarding loss/shrink that boiled down to "No customers ever steal, the computers are never wrong, you always receive everything you're sent and never are missing anything, you employees are all thieves." Companies treat their employees like trash these days in any field that actually has to deal with people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    8,067 Posts
    What kind of asshole do you have to be to fire someone over 50 cents?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 24 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    4,228 Posts
    Not quite fast food, but when I worked in retail selling shoes the company put out a lot of internet stuff regarding loss/shrink that boiled down to "No customers ever steal, the computers are never wrong, you always receive everything you're sent and never are missing anything, you employees are all thieves." Companies treat their employees like trash these days in any field that actually has to deal with people.
    The grocery chain I'm working for's training on shrink wasn't anywhere that bad, it put forth the possibility of anyone stealing, and listed major common ways that it tends to happen that we should watch out for, be it customer or employee.

Edited:

Also we're told to always double check the computers just to be safe. Where did you work so I can make sure to avoid it at all costs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    8,759 Posts
    Don't steal?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    31,792 Posts
    Depends on the circumstance. This seemed to be a genuine mistake and were I the manager in this situation I would have just paid the balance. That said, purposeful theft can seriously hurt bottom lines in food service where profit margins are measured in pennies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    8,759 Posts
    Depends on the circumstance. This seemed to be a genuine mistake and were I the manager in this situation I would have just paid the balance. That said, purposeful theft can seriously hurt bottom lines in food service where profit margins are measured in pennies.
    Pretty much this.

Most food service employees get free meals on the clock or a heavily discounted meal. So imagine if you had employees taking 5 bucks worth of meals home everyday without paying.

5x365=1,825 dollars. Now imagine if you got a small group of employees doing..lets say like 5 now you got nearly 10k in profit gone. I've worked LP and i know how quickly a businesses' Gross profit can take if you got employee theft. I've been task with dealing with hell hole's and seen the entire work force stealing from a bushiness which nearly tanked it.

15. Post #15
    November 2016
    147 Posts
    Don't steal?
    She was given permission? Thats not stealing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    8,759 Posts
    She was given permission? Thats not stealing.
    I was responding to his statement.

I know she didn't steal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    36,905 Posts
    Certainly sends the message to the other employees who haven't been there for 25 years "You're fucking disposable."
    It's a Burger King. The entire staff is disposable regardless of how long they've worked there. It only takes an hour, maybe two to train a new employee all the basic knowledge needed to the job.

Edited:

When I worked at a fast food joint I took fries and shit on a daily basis. Manager never batted an eye as what was considered waste wasn't servable.
    I did the same, mostly because the manager too did it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    8,067 Posts
    Pretty much this.

Most food service employees get free meals on the clock or a heavily discounted meal. So imagine if you had employees taking 5 bucks worth of meals home everyday without paying.

5x365=1,825 dollars. Now imagine if you got a small group of employees doing..lets say like 5 now you got nearly 10k in profit gone. I've worked LP and i know how quickly a businesses' Gross profit can take if you got employee theft. I've been task with dealing with hell hole's and seen the entire work force stealing from a bushiness which nearly tanked it.
    Cept thats not stealing 50 cents, thats stealing literally hundreds of times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,928 Posts
    Pretty much this.

Holy shit, you do realize the food doesn't actually cost anywhere near that? You don't lose profit by someone taking stock, you lose stock. So you lose a few cents.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Austria Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    2,436 Posts
    Holy shit, you do realize the food doesn't actually cost anywhere near that? You don't lose profit by someone taking stock, you lose stock. So you lose a few cents.
    Well you still have to factor in the time it takes to prepare and cook the food. That is essentially work-time wasted, if the food doesn't get sold.

21. Post #21
    November 2014
    2,124 Posts
    While I was working at McD, if it was at closing hour I could take my meal at home. Managers were usually cool with it, the most I got was "just do it quietly, like I didn't saw anything".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari Russian Federation Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    14,316 Posts
    at the end of the day long john silvers would literally give me a big fucking bag of food because it was going to the trash otherwise

Edited:

like we're talking fish, tubs of corn/greenbeans, chicken, fries, the farm

Edited:

Most of the time it wasn't even cold yet either
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    July 2010
    27,213 Posts
    Don't steal?
    what? would you hang somebody for stealing a loaf of bread too?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Internet Explorer 11 United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 9 (list)

24. Post #24
    Judge, Jury, & Executioner
    September 2005
    68,216 Posts
    it's hospitality/service industry. isn't it expected that they feed you for free? is america/canada that fucked?

25. Post #25
    what? would you hang somebody for stealing a loaf of bread too?
    What kind of a comparison is that even
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    July 2010
    27,213 Posts
    What kind of a comparison is that even
    it's just disproportionate to fire somebody for taking half a dollar worth of food

office workers steal much more than that on a regular basis in term of office supplies and nobody bats an eye
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Internet Explorer 11 United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 8 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    19,122 Posts
    The article makes it seem like it was basically a misunderstanding anyway, at least the Judge is satisfied that that was the case:
    "Had he simply turned his mind to the specific words that Ms Salman said Ms Ram used when she asked to take the food, or the fact that Ms Ram made no attempt to conceal what she was doing, he would likely have appreciated the significant possibility of a misunderstanding between Ms Ram and Ms Salman," Justice Warren ruled.
    So I don't even know why you're arguing whether it's okay to steal 50 cents worth of food, because it seems that she didn't.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    2,286 Posts
    it's hospitality/service industry. isn't it expected that they feed you for free? is america/canada that fucked?
    McDonalds (at least when I worked there) would let you have 1 free meal during your break. A lot of times I was able to just take it home as well. Not many restaurants give free food though, just discounts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Internet Explorer 11 United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    July 2014
    3,821 Posts
    it's just disproportionate to fire somebody for taking half a dollar worth of food

office workers steal much more than that on a regular basis in term of office supplies and nobody bats an eye
    the higher you are on corporate ladder, the more you can steal without anyone noticing

30. Post #30
    November 2014
    2,124 Posts
    McDonalds (at least when I worked there) would let you have 1 free meal during your break. A lot of times I was able to just take it home as well. Not many restaurants give free food though, just discounts.
    Technically, it was the same shit, it's just that the process was simplified. While I was working here, they told me I can refuse this meal and get a bit more money in paycheck, if I want to.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,211 Posts
    I find it out that they care since at the end of the day they toss just about everything in the trash.

32. Post #32
    I find it out that they care since at the end of the day they toss just about everything in the trash.
    Super markets do this too. Perfectly good gallons of water in the trash because the sticker is torn. Candy thrown out because of a ripped bag.

though that's different and also way the hell worse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

33. Post #33
    December 2008
    538 Posts
    When I worked at Mac they let us consume the un-sold ones at closing time

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    7,086 Posts
    That's interesting.

If waste is free game, employees have active incentive to be wasteful so that they can get stuff. That's the same reason why a lot of companies specifically require physically destroying everything. They don't want someone working in IT to sneak themselves a brand new monitor, or the stock boy to put fresh groceries/electronics/anything into the damaged pile and walk out with them at the end of their shift.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    April 2012
    967 Posts
    Judgement in-detail: Ram v. The Michael Lacombe Group Inc.
    Conclusion

[134] Ms. Ram is awarded general damages of $21,000, which reflects 12 months' salary in lieu of notice and, in addition, $25,000 in aggravated damages, for a total of $46,000.

[135] If the parties wish to speak to costs they may do so by making arrangements through the registry provided they so advise the registry within 60 days of the date of this judgment.

"the Honourable Madam Justice Warren"
    I'd say that's one big of a payout just for taking a fish burger meal... albeit at the expense of being made an example of even though they (the manager) was okay with it at that time... and then being wrongfully dismissed.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    15,619 Posts
    That's interesting.

If waste is free game, employees have active incentive to be wasteful so that they can get stuff. That's the same reason why a lot of companies specifically require physically destroying everything. They don't want someone working in IT to sneak themselves a brand new monitor, or the stock boy to put fresh groceries/electronics/anything into the damaged pile and walk out with them at the end of their shift.
    See at my store you just get fired for pocketing waste and if you fudge waste numbers it won't match sales and then you get fucked

Edited:

Doesn't mean I don't take a cinnamon roll here or there #swag

37. Post #37
    February 2017
    73 Posts
    No, we're not that fucked. If you didn't notice, the chain got fined $46,000.

38. Post #38
    "Yeah my dog sleeps near my feet. sometimes i squeeze her with my legs and she farts."
    March 2010
    10,320 Posts
    I used to work at Panera Bread, and at the end of the day, I got to take home a big ass cardboard box filled to the brim with pastries sometimes. Technically we weren't supposed to, but my manager figured it's better than just throwing them all out.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,719 Posts
    Yes it is. They pay people ~$7.25/hr and typically give a 25% discount on food during work hours. Some nicer places will give people (or only managers) a free meal after an 8 hour shift, or a larger discount.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    2,286 Posts
    I used to work at Panera Bread, and at the end of the day, I got to take home a big ass cardboard box filled to the brim with pastries sometimes. Technically we weren't supposed to, but my manager figured it's better than just throwing them all out.
    My bro works there and does the same once in a while. Love their pastry wheels .