1. Post #161
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,044 Posts
    Hey guys,
    I am trying to make a dynamically added sprite bars and detect collision for each of them when player steps on them, when collision happens - it will randomly decide to collapse or not.

I am having trouble detecting collisions for them, or more precisely - firing collision events, in my blueprint event graph - none of the events detect any collisions (I assume because they are dynamically added).

Any input/tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is what level idea looks like:

and this is what my current blueprint looks like:

2. Post #162
    Stupid Sexy Russian
    February 2011
    635 Posts
    Are there any benefits to working in C++ as opposed to Blueprints? It seems that working in C++ is just more of a hassle than using Blueprints.
    If somehow the BP asset is broken... good luck trying to restore it. I had problems where my BPs just crashed when I tried to open them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #163
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    22,119 Posts
    Hey guys,
    I am trying to make a dynamically added sprite bars and detect collision for each of them when player steps on them, when collision happens - it will randomly decide to collapse or not.

I am having trouble detecting collisions for them, or more precisely - firing collision events, in my blueprint event graph - none of the events detect any collisions (I assume because they are dynamically added).

Any input/tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is what level idea looks like:

and this is what my current blueprint looks like:

is Generate Hit Events enabled on both the player and the platforms?

4. Post #164
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,044 Posts
    is Generate Hit Events enabled on both the player and the platforms?
    Yes, player has generate hit events enabled and so does the reference sprite in Blueprint.

5. Post #165
    March 2014
    4,551 Posts
    Updated the wall drawing thing, now instead of using the mouse wheel to dictate length, it just snaps length to the pointer position along the edge of the floor.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #166
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,799 Posts
    Updated the wall drawing thing, now instead of using the mouse wheel to dictate length, it just snaps length to the pointer position along the edge of the floor.

What are you using for the mesh? Is it procedural or is it just a mesh being stretched and a material being applied?

Also, heres a useful tip for those that arent aware that you can make a custom pivot in UE4 for meshes. If you hold down the middle mouse button and move the transform gizmo, you can move the pivot point for the mesh temporarily.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 6 (list)

7. Post #167
    March 2014
    4,551 Posts
    What are you using for the mesh? Is it procedural or is it just a mesh being stretched and a material being applied?
    Just a mesh being stretched with a global aligned material being applied.

8. Post #168
    Facepunch Staff
    March 2010
    2,841 Posts
    Couldn't sleep, tried out a different basebuilding method, kinda like The Sims.

Look up DCEL structure, it's perfect for making a sims game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #169
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    4,701 Posts
    Just a mesh being stretched with a global aligned material being applied.
    I have an actor that allows me to do some funky stuff like this:

basically it allows you to cut a hole into a tilable wall segment, I had to edit the engine to allow me to do this but if you want I can throw the code your way and you can take a look at it :>

It allow me to set this up:

but yeah, the wall segment is a 3d model you feed into the actor, it tiles the UV's properly and allows you to have an horizontal mesh pattern preserved. Really good for baseboards in houses as well as siding for houses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Canada Show Events Programming King Programming King x 7 (list)

10. Post #170
    March 2014
    4,551 Posts

basically it allows you to cut a hole into a tilable wall segment, I had to edit the engine to allow me to do this but if you want I can throw the code your way and you can take a look at it :>

but yeah, the wall segment is a 3d model you feed into the actor, it tiles the UV's properly and allows you to have an horizontal mesh pattern preserved. Really good for baseboards in houses as well as siding for houses.
    Oh man yeah if you're willing to share I'd love to look at that, I was going to look into this awful spline tracing workaround to get windows and doorways in, but this looks way nicer. Great work, I'll PM you.

Edited:

Look up DCEL structure, it's perfect for making a sims game
    Googling now, thanks for the tip!

11. Post #171
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    7,043 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Venezuela Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

12. Post #172
    Facepunch Staff
    March 2010
    2,841 Posts

Stuff like this gives me a nerd boner, makes me want to work on my room builder again.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,641 Posts
    Hi guys, would this be a good place for advice on understanding settings and tips for architectural visualization in Unreal Engine?

I'm working with a company trying to get more involved in this for the eventual purpose of VR and interactive tours, and while I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the engine there are areas that I'm trying to improve on like lighting and reflections to achieve more realistic results and avoid graphical issues.

Just wondering if I should go here or to the Digital 3D Art thread before I start cluttering up the thread with questions. Thanks!

14. Post #174

January 2011
    459 Posts
    Hi guys, would this be a good place for advice on understanding settings and tips for architectural visualization in Unreal Engine?

I'm working with a company trying to get more involved in this for the eventual purpose of VR and interactive tours, and while I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the engine there are areas that I'm trying to improve on like lighting and reflections to achieve more realistic results and avoid graphical issues.

Just wondering if I should go here or to the Digital 3D Art thread before I start cluttering up the thread with questions. Thanks!
    You'll probably be able to find answers to questions here, quite a few people work with VR headsets in here I believe.

15. Post #175
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,162 Posts

Try and get your hands on a copy of 3D World issue 218, it's got a pretty great spread on archvis and getting good GI bakes in UE4.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #176
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,799 Posts
    Kind of running out of ideas, yet I still feel like I have so much to add to this scene.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

17. Post #177
    August 2009
    559 Posts
    Kind of running out of ideas, yet I still feel like I have so much to add to this scene.

Needs some spiderwebs and dirt in the corners of the floor.

18. Post #178
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,799 Posts
    Needs some spiderwebs and dirt in the corners of the floor.
    Cobwebs are definitely something Im thinking of adding, Im just not entirely sure how I will make something like that in substance designer.

19. Post #179
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,650 Posts
    Perhaps some missing bricks and some scattered on the floor?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Waterfox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #180
    September 2013
    869 Posts
    The metal door between the iron door and the brick arch isn't (apparently) rusted, yet the door is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

21. Post #181
    November 2007
    212 Posts

VFX for a contest. I think its turning out pretty good :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #182
    March 2014
    4,551 Posts
    When your scene capture fucks up but in a good way

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #183
    February 2017
    7 Posts
    Lost my old account haven't been on here for years but come across this thread on google.

I mite as well share what I've been working on.

Click for video version GIF sucks lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #184
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    4,701 Posts
    a rust clone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

25. Post #185
    February 2017
    7 Posts
    a rust clone?
    Yeah i guess in some ways but we take our inspiration from rust legacy not the reboot, I wanted to capture the feel of legacy while putting my own spin of things.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

26. Post #186
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,551 Posts
    I'm sorry but I honestly can't make out anything in these two shots besides a hud and a weapon, kinda
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #187
    February 2017
    7 Posts
    I'm sorry but I honestly can't make out anything in these two shots besides a hud and a weapon, kinda
    Sorry i haven't really uploaded much this is probably the most up to date video.

this video here is fairly old but it does show case some of the game mechanics.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events Programming King x 1Artistic x 1Useful x 1Disagree x 1Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #188
    February 2017
    7 Posts
    Dumb/Funny

How about replying rather than just trolling mate?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 3 (list)

29. Post #189
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,080 Posts
    Sorry i haven't really uploaded much this is probably the most up to date video.

this video here is fairly old but it does show case some of the game mechanics.

Damn, if you were going for a rust legacy clone, you've certainly nailed it. Did you/your team make those assets? Do you have MP working?

30. Post #190
    March 2014
    4,551 Posts
    Wasted two days on this, it's buggy as hell, still kinda fun to mess around with.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #191
    February 2017
    7 Posts
    Damn, if you were going for a rust legacy clone, you've certainly nailed it. Did you/your team make those assets? Do you have MP working?
    Thanks, yeah we make most of our assets but we do also use some brought assets, my friends a 3d artist so between us we can cover most of the content we need, we just lack in the rigging and animations department. We have multiplayer working on both listen and dedicated servers.

Here are some of the more detailed assets my mate has created for the game.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #192
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    4,701 Posts
    How about replying rather than just trolling mate?
    acting like that gets you only more boxes little man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #193
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    12,779 Posts
    Hey friends,

Thought I'd share the trailer from our latest Tower Unite game world we just released, Little Crusaders.

also, here's a before and after of the map i designed

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #194
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,162 Posts
    That looks sweet, what platform did you release it on?

35. Post #195
    February 2017
    7 Posts
    acting like that gets you only more boxes little man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

36. Post #196
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    12,779 Posts
    That looks sweet, what platform did you release it on?
    windows officially but linux is in beta at the moment

http://www.store.steampowered.com/app/394690
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #197
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    4,701 Posts
    I like boxes XD.

seems two others like boxes to.
    Look I'm probably the last person that should be saying this but uh.. try not to look retarded on an internet forum, especially since your game looks like it would be made by someone conducting themselves slightly better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)