1. Post #1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    28,375 Posts
    I'm not sure I fully understand his critique. He doesn't like the game because of its micropayments on the revives in the Roguelike, right? But then it's just like every other Roguelike, where you experience permadeath each time you die. Does that means he inherently hates all Roguelikes because they have the permadeath mechanic without the option for revives using cash or in-game currency?

His whole critique of this game hinges on the idea that micropayments are bad, and because he said they're bad the game is bad automatically. So, would Binding of Issac be automatically bad if it was the same exact game, but it popped up and said you could pay 99c to revive on the spot each time you died? Didn't he make his own Roguelike?

I don't actually understand what his major problem with the game is.

Note: I'm not sure if Let It Die is a Roguelike, I don't own a PS4, but from what all I've heard from my friends it sounds exactly like that.

3. Post #3
    January 2014
    1,797 Posts
    Note: I'm not sure if Let It Die is a Roguelike, I don't own a PS4, but from what all I've heard from my friends it sounds exactly like that.
    Let it die is a semi-rougelike, dying doesn't make the character unusable, but actually turns them into an enemy and you can kill em to get them back (or you can just spend a hefty amount of non-premium currency to get them back). Honestly I'd say the model is pretty fair, revives only cost one death metal and you can get a few of those through quests and daily log ins.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #4
    November 2012
    5,477 Posts
    I'm not sure I fully understand his critique. He doesn't like the game because of its micropayments on the revives in the Roguelike, right? But then it's just like every other Roguelike, where you experience permadeath each time you die. Does that means he inherently hates all Roguelikes because they have the permadeath mechanic without the option for revives using cash or in-game currency?

His whole critique of this game hinges on the idea that micropayments are bad, and because he said they're bad the game is bad automatically. So, would Binding of Issac be automatically bad if it was the same exact game, but it popped up and said you could pay 99c to revive on the spot each time you died? Didn't he make his own Roguelike?

I don't actually understand what his major problem with the game is.

From my perspective it's just that Yahtzee is one of those guys that will bend over backwards to find a way criticise microtransactions no matter how non intrusive and fair they are, remember when Jim Sterling made an entire video moaning about the Overwatch loot system, that sort of guy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,541 Posts
    Let it die is a semi-rougelike, dying doesn't make the character unusable, but actually turns them into an enemy and you can kill em to get them back (or you can just spend a hefty amount of non-premium currency to get them back). Honestly I'd say the model is pretty fair, revives only cost one death metal and you can get a few of those through quests and daily log ins.
    The fact that it's not turn-based and you don't move on a grid automatically disqualifies it from being a roguelike. You could call it a roguelite, but IMO that term is even more meaningless than roguelike is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    (Feminazi) (Queen of the Furrys) (Girl Power!) (Massive Faggot) (Queen of the Diva's) (Women's right's activist) (The Classy Lady) (Bigger, Badder, Bronyer)
    March 2010
    3,831 Posts
    My opinion : Microtransactions with anything to do with gameplay are fucking awful and shouldn't exist

7. Post #7
    November 2012
    5,477 Posts
    My opinion : Microtransactions with anything to do with gameplay are fucking awful and shouldn't exist
    That's exactly the kind of thing I was criticising Yahtzee for, you shouldn't take hardline stances on things like that. What if the microtransactions are perfectly fine, completely optional, don't give anyone a competitive edge, and are totally non intrusive?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    September 2012
    2,260 Posts
    The fact that it's not turn-based and you don't move on a grid automatically disqualifies it from being a roguelike. You could call it a roguelite, but IMO that term is even more meaningless than roguelike is.
    It's honestly kind of like saying Gears of War is a classic ID FPS, because it has shooting, monsters and chainsaws, despite having a completely different player perspective and gameplay style.

9. Post #9
    I think you're wrong in this specific case. It's emulating an arcade machine, with each revive being about 50 cents. Given that the entire game is being played on an arcade machine in-universe, it makes sense. On top of that, you do get quite a bit of the premium currency for free from daily logins or certain missions in the game so it's not even that bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    19,456 Posts
    I think you're wrong in this specific case. It's emulating an arcade machine, with each revive being about 50 cents. Given that the entire game is being played on an arcade machine in-universe, it makes sense.
    That's like the worst justification imaginable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Chief Gunnery Sgt. of the SS Shitpost
    March 2009
    25,531 Posts
    That's like the worst justification imaginable.
    It's a crummy justification, but I think it's a neat little thematic twist on the idea.

It's not hard to recover your fighters without spending actual cash either, so I don't really mind the use of micro-transactions in the game. It's not the best model, but it's a lot less exploitative than it could have been.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    9,429 Posts
    Not enough people are using the term "roguelite".

13. Post #13
    August 2005
    798 Posts
    Just because it's a better example of how microstranctions should be done doesn't not mean that micro transactions are a good thing for a consumers

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    12,869 Posts
    Not enough people are using the term "roguelite".
    I prefer die-self-up myself.