1. Post #1
    February 2013
    8,167 Posts
    Sometime soon, drivers rolling down Wetmore Avenue in downtown Everett may see colorful, 8-to-10-foot statues of Spider-Man, Batman and other familiar characters looming over them from a skybridge and the ledges of an adjoining building.

They’re part of the plan for the new headquarters of Funko, the Everett-based pop-culture collectibles company that‘s been growing rapidly and has its eyes on a potential initial public offering of stock.

“We want you to drive by the building and say: ‘I’ve never seen anything like that before,’” said Brian Mariotti, Funko’s president and CEO.

“As the revenues continue to grow, we’re doing everything we can to prepare ourselves to potentially entertain going public,” he said. “We want to make sure we’re ready by next year.”

But Mariotti added that the company is remaining flexible, keeping “all paths open to what our future is, whether it’s becoming a public company or finding a strategic partner that might want to acquire us.”
    Seattle Times

(User was banned for this post ("Didn't read the sticky - Post a snippet of the article" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    4,583 Posts
    Honestly I'm surprised that they aren't already publicly traded considering how ubiquitous they are.

Personally, I never really liked the oversized heads design. Just doesn't work with most characters IMO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 30 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    18,860 Posts
    They make great statues of non humans, like their Songbird one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    I'm not very clever.
    September 2012
    1,255 Posts
    As someone who doesn't collect this kind of stuff, the only reason why I know what Funko is is from Ashens shitting all over them every month when he gets one in a lootcrate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera United States Show Events Starred Starred x 24 (list)

5. Post #5
    Facepunch's Resident Game Center CX Expert
    November 2010
    14,810 Posts
    I have way too many Pop figures to count
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    July 2013
    1,088 Posts
    Pop figures might be seen as low-quality or weird looking, but I cannot deny how cheap they are and that's a big factor into buying. I have a couple of storm trooper ones because the big heads look better when there's a helmet on and I don't have to look into their deep, soulless eyes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    August 2013
    4,641 Posts
    Absolutely hate those things, but I can't deny that it's cheap merchandise for almost any series/game and really easy to get ahold of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Denmark Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    12,792 Posts
    Honestly I'm surprised that they aren't already publicly traded considering how ubiquitous they are.

Personally, I never really liked the oversized heads design. Just doesn't work with most characters IMO.
    They just seem like western knockoffs of nendoroids to me. Although I have almost bought one or two of their models because I really wasn't expecting to find a model of that character

9. Post #9
    July 2013
    1,235 Posts
    Honestly, the figurines that funko make that aren't super-deformed are really nice

Kinda sick of seeing the Pop figurines though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    9,692 Posts
    Honestly, the figurines that funko make that aren't super-deformed are really nice

Kinda sick of seeing the Pop figurines though
    I love their Vinyl Idolz line, I've bought so many of them. POP! ones I don't care for except for the Groot I have.

11. Post #11
    Spirit Guide
    March 2009
    22,715 Posts
    As much as people like to rag on the Pop! Figures, they are making a killing. Not a style that everyone can appreciate, but those who like them seem especially keen. I know a fellow who collects them. He has every one! Must have cost him a fortune.

Edited:

I love their Vinyl Idolz line, I've bought so many of them. POP! ones I don't care for except for the Groot I have.

I kindq like 'em, too. More than the Pop! Figures at any rate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

12. Post #12
    my roommate has like 30 of the pop figs, I don't really get it as i prefer scale models but to each their own
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    13,464 Posts

And this isn't even all of them. Been collecting with my girlfriend for the better part of 4 years.

I dunno why I like them so much. Probably just the diversity because there seems to be a figure for everything.

Edited:

Holy shit, those look creepy, the eyes are way too...thousand-yard-starey.

Oh my GOD

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    20,029 Posts
    can they just issue their stock in vinyl too so we can collect that as well?

15. Post #15
    August 2012
    4,081 Posts
    Can't forgive these guys for the shit they pulled with their Evolve action figure line. Advertising material had shown that the figures came with two guns. Turns out they only come with one gun and it's their shitty side arms.

16. Post #16
    October 2016
    856 Posts
    Can't forgive these guys for the shit they pulled with their Evolve action figure line. Advertising material had shown that the figures came with two guns. Turns out they only come with one gun and it's their shitty side arms.
    You forgot to buy the second gun DLC season pass 1 and 2 for 4 guns each. Shouldn't Evolve fans be used to getting completely shit on by now?

17. Post #17
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    7,520 Posts
    -img-

And this isn't even all of them. Been collecting with my girlfriend for the better part of 4 years.

I dunno why I like them so much. Probably just the diversity because there seems to be a figure for everything.

Edited:

Holy shit, those look creepy, the eyes are way too...thousand-yard-starey.

Oh my GOD

-img-
    I feel the same way about both as you do.

I think the reason why you and your girlfriend like the Pop! figures is because they're really cute and stylized. They have that chibi effect going on. I mean, just look at the Pop! Kylo Ren - he's freaking adorable with that big helmet.

Whereas I find those vinyl ones that you quoted and posted to be creepy as fuck, and I personally can't see how anyone could like them.

And to be perfectly clear, I didn't even know Pop! figures were an American thing - the only way I've heard of their existence is from an Australian friend who collects them, so I assumed they were an Australian thing. Then beyond that, I don't buy memorabilia or collectibles. Posters, figurines, anything like that - I don't buy any of them.

So it's not like I have any investment in either figurines.

18. Post #18
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) rip $5
    Dennab
    December 2009
    9,067 Posts
    I don't get the pop figures, they look awful. do people collect them because they are relatively cheap and common?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    1,140 Posts
    I dunno, I think they're dumb but at the same time, I want the Kagamine Rin pop figure

20. Post #20
    Here's to giving Garry Newman more money.
    August 2011
    3,788 Posts
    I dunno, I think they're dumb but at the same time, I want the Kagamine Rin pop figure
    with anime merch theres nendroids tho

i kinda wish there was a western equivalent in terms of quality

21. Post #21
    Puuurple
    May 2008
    18,783 Posts
    with anime merch theres nendroids tho

i kinda wish there was a western equivalent in terms of quality
    Wish people would stop comparing Pop figures to nendos. Nendos are typically at least 3x as expensive.

Nendos also cover a much less wide range of characters for obvious reasons.

22. Post #22
    August 2012
    872 Posts
    Wish people would stop comparing Pop figures to nendos. Nendos are typically at least 3x as expensive.

Nendos also cover a much less wide range of characters for obvious reasons.
    And Nendos have some articulation and additional faces and props included

23. Post #23
    Puuurple
    May 2008
    18,783 Posts
    And Nendos have some articulation and additional faces and props included
    But that doesn't change the fact that they're more expensive. I'm not saying they're overpriced, I'm saying purely from an affordability and collectability standpoint Pops kinda serve there own purpose. I doubt any Pop figure collector had been persuaded to buy a Nendo instead because they are just entirely different kinds of figures.

Edit: I just re-read your sentence and I realized you might've just been reinforcing my point. My bad if so! D:

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    699 Posts
    Pop Vinyls are ok when they're stormtroopers/non-human etc. those big black eyes bother the fuck out of me. I've got a Han Solo one on the way from a crate I nabbed cheap at Loot Vault, I'll probably put it up on Ebay.

Nendos I wasn't too hot on at first, but after I bought the Nyaruko one I was hooked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,301 Posts
    But that doesn't change the fact that they're more expensive.
    But isn't it better to have something that's more expensive yet just generally better in every way? Sure, the stuff like Nendroid is limited to Anime/Japanese Video Games, but you can at least pose them, they come with interesting accessories, and feel interesting to look at. Pop is just standing there, taking up space, looking god awful.

I mean, if your goal is to fill up a shelf with figures, then yes, I can see why you would go for Pop. The other problem is of course, as mentioned, absolute lack of anything western media outside of Pop, is fucking awful, and anyone tapping into that market would be capable of making a lot of doshmoney.

26. Post #26
    Marty looks like he just snapped and is about to start killing people
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

27. Post #27
    December 2015
    435 Posts
    I bought a pair (Thrall and Sylvanas, to be specific) cause they were only like $4 each. Not horrible quality, but not something I'd be willing to pay more than $5 for.

Edited:

Pop Vinyls are ok when they're stormtroopers/non-human etc. those big black eyes bother the fuck out of me. I've got a Han Solo one on the way from a crate I nabbed cheap at Loot Vault, I'll probably put it up on Ebay.

Nendos I wasn't too hot on at first, but after I bought the Nyaruko one I was hooked.
    I bought the MM Link nendo about a week or so ago and I'm absolutley in love with it. Gonna pick up the WW Link and Zelda soon, as well as Kirby and Isabelle when I get the chance. Was also able to find a good deal on Red with the gen 1 baby starters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Puuurple
    May 2008
    18,783 Posts
    But isn't it better to have something that's more expensive yet just generally better in every way? Sure, the stuff like Nendroid is limited to Anime/Japanese Video Games, but you can at least pose them, they come with interesting accessories, and feel interesting to look at. Pop is just standing there, taking up space, looking god awful.

I mean, if your goal is to fill up a shelf with figures, then yes, I can see why you would go for Pop. The other problem is of course, as mentioned, absolute lack of anything western media outside of Pop, is fucking awful, and anyone tapping into that market would be capable of making a lot of doshmoney.
    Like you said, lack of western media is what is dragging Nendos down. There's still a few, like Suicide Squad/Batman, etc. But if they were to start pumping out Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Ghostbusters, Minions, Ninja Turtles, Harry Potter, etc they could grab the West by the balls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,944 Posts
    Haha Mcfly looks like he could be the protagonist of a Hotline Miami game.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    699 Posts
    Like you said, lack of western media is what is dragging Nendos down. There's still a few, like Suicide Squad/Batman, etc. But if they were to start pumping out Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Ghostbusters, Minions, Ninja Turtles, Harry Potter, etc they could grab the West by the balls.
    Dammit, I want a Negan Nendoroid now.

31. Post #31
    May 2009
    699 Posts
    Haha Mcfly looks like he could be the protagonist of a Hotline Miami game.
    Or maybe hitch a rocket to the Mun.

32. Post #32
    December 2016
    551 Posts
    I shall buy it for a single Troll doll.

33. Post #33
    Gay Member #2
    June 2008
    3,771 Posts
    The only ones that i've ever liked are the titanfall 2 ones