1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    13,065 Posts
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rison-sentence
    Chelsea Manning, the army soldier who leaked state secrets in 2010 and has been imprisoned longer than any other official leaker in US history, has called on President Obama to show her clemency in the final days of his presidency, saying that this amounts to her last chance for freedom “for a very long time”.

With nine days left for the Obama presidency, Manning is reportedly on Obama’s “shortlist” for a commutation of her sentence, according to NBC News.

Time is running out for Manning, who has already been incarcerated for six years for leaking hundreds of thousands of war logs, embassy cables and videos that cast light on the nature of modern warfare. It is presumed that the incoming president, Donald Trump, would be unlikely to look favorably on her case and that under him her 35-year sentence would be left to run its course.

Manning told the Guardian that the petition she made to Obama in November was “the last real chance to make my case to go home for a very long time”. She said that the appeal she filed against her sentence last May would take many years to work its way through the courts.

And in an emotional plea for mercy from Obama, she added: “I have spent almost all of my adult life either homeless, in the military or in prison. I haven’t had the chance to live my life yet.”

Until he steps down on 20 January, Obama has presidential power under the US constitution either to fully pardon individuals who have been convicted of crimes, or to commute their sentences, and many others are hoping they will be the beneficiaries of that power. Manning’s appeal lawyer, Nancy Hollander, said it was time for the president to act before it was too late by reducing the sentence to the six years she has already served.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2016
    3,610 Posts
    Does he have a chance of doing it? What would be the reaction if he did?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Ireland Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    July 2013
    8,503 Posts
    I'd like to see it happen and I hope it does.

Edited:

Does he have a chance of doing it? What would be the reaction if he did?
    Very unfavourable from the GOP/Republicans to say the least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    I do it all
    November 2010
    19,355 Posts
    I'd like to see it happen and I hope it does.

Edited:

Doesn't matter, what's the GOP gonna do about a president on the way out

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,466 Posts
    Manning's crime far exceed any non-violent offender on these lists.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Starred Starred x 8 (list)

6. Post #6
    KING
    of OVER – REACTING
    “No jokes allowed!!!”
    May 2009
    22,730 Posts
    Manning's crime far exceed any non-violent offender on these lists.
    Yeah I'm wondering that too. It really depends on what she's released.

Time is running out for Manning, who has already been incarcerated for six years for leaking hundreds of thousands of war logs, embassy cables and videos that cast light on the nature of modern warfare.
    If it was anything that put lives at risk, then I don't think Obama would pardon her.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,466 Posts
    Yeah I'm wondering that too. It really depends on what she's released.

If it was anything that put lives at risk, then I don't think Obama would pardon her.
    On a personal level I utterly despise Manning, she endangered a lot of people's lives especially in Afghanistan where the Taliban will go on a local level and slaughter the families of interpreters and coalition collaborators.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Starred Starred x 15 (list)

8. Post #8
    On a personal level I utterly despise Manning, she endangered a lot of people's lives especially in Afghanistan where the Taliban will go on a local level and slaughter the families of interpreters and coalition collaborators.
    Did that happen? Enough time has passed that if it did, there should be evidence or mention somewhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    June 2013
    5,528 Posts
    She put lives at risk and compromised military operations, she deserves her sentence
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 11 (list)

10. Post #10
    October 2016
    901 Posts
    She put lives at risk and compromised military operations, she deserves her sentence
    Maybe if her sentence were carried out in a first world prison. But idk, I think with how poorly the US prison system treats inmates she's probably suffered enough inhumane torture by now yeah? Especially considering the suicide attempts and frequent solitary confinement, among things we don't know about. Or is there a clause in there with stipulation on where the line is drawn with who can receive inhumane treatment and for how long based on feel good revenge fantasies and their placement in society?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 23 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,128 Posts
    blame wikileaks for releasing it without redactions, not her
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 33 (list)

12. Post #12
    I don't give a shit about your dumb opinion, my opinion is the one that counts.
    June 2011
    7,272 Posts
    As far as I can tell the only reason Manning is getting all this attention/sympathy is because she is transgender.

Honestly, would a regular male prisoner with the same charges receive the same treatment from the media?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Brazil Show Events Starred Starred x 8 (list)

13. Post #13
    August 2013
    3,713 Posts
    As far as I can tell the only reason Manning is getting all this attention/sympathy is because she is transgender.

Honestly, would a regular male prisoner with the same charges receive the same treatment from the media?
    Yes. Why would you think that a being part group that isn't even particularly romanticised or favored in the US would give her special treatment? We already saw with Snowden that people have respect to a certain extent for whistleblowers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 11 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,466 Posts
    Maybe if her sentence were carried out in a first world prison. But idk, I think with how poorly the US prison system treats inmates she's probably suffered enough inhumane torture by now yeah? Especially considering the suicide attempts and frequent solitary confinement, among things we don't know about. Or is there a clause in there with stipulation on where the line is drawn with who can receive inhumane treatment and for how long based on feel good revenge fantasies and their placement in society?
    US military prisons are far better than private or federal ones

15. Post #15
    I don't give a shit about your dumb opinion, my opinion is the one that counts.
    June 2011
    7,272 Posts
    Yes. Why would you think that a being part group that isn't even particularly romanticised or favored in the US would give her special treatment? We already saw with Snowden that people have respect to a certain extent for whistleblowers.
    Except Snowden actually bothered to work with publishers to verify what info was relevant to the general public while Manning just leaked sensitive, potentially endangering intelligence to everyone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Brazil Show Events Starred Starred x 12 (list)

16. Post #16
    August 2015
    1,262 Posts
    Except Snowden actually bothered to work with publishers to verify what info was relevant to the general public while Manning just leaked sensitive, potentially endangering intelligence to everyone
    Exactly. Bradley deserves the 35 year sentence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    No such thing as overkill.
    January 2007
    10,598 Posts
    blame wikileaks for releasing it without redactions, not her
    That's not how this works at all. She's the one who illegally disclosed sensitive, classified information to an organization that she could not possibly control.

I'll blame Wikileaks too, but that doesn't get her off the hook when it's her fault Wikileaks was in the equation to begin with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 10 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    8,550 Posts
    Nah, manning deserves what they got. You didn't blow the lid on anything, you just put people in danger.

19. Post #19
    August 2013
    3,713 Posts
    Im aware of the distinction, but most of Americans probably aren't/don't really care. Intelligence, privacy, and whistleblowing is a hot topic and was when she leaked her information. Her public perception/media coverage wouldn't differ if she wasn't trans.

20. Post #20
    July 2014
    3,847 Posts
    Nah, manning deserves what they got. You didn't blow the lid on anything, you just put people in danger.
    Manning did exposed scummy thing army was doing (and still do) so fuck you.

Edited:

Video of scummy thing in question.

How the fuck do you mistake cameras for AK47s? Also this was village neighborhood. This is just cold-blooded murder.

America has big whistle-blower problem. Lots of people that exposed government crimes are in jail but the ones that should be in jail are roaming free.

(User was banned for this post ("Flaming" - Blazyd))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Chrome Slovenia Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

21. Post #21
    November 2014
    1,298 Posts
    While I personally don't think the US does a very good job of enforcing whistleblower protections, I think that if it came down to Snowden or Manning getting pardoned/commuted, I'd want Snowden to get off the hook. He seemingly put much more effort into disclosing his leaks properly and in a secure manner.

I don't personally "hate" or dislike Manning, but she seems to have done a very, very poor job of making sure her leaks didn't reveal PII on US personnel and collaborators in dangerous situations, hence my opinion.

However, I'd not be upset if both somehow managed to get pardoned/commuted, despite how much of a longshot that is. As it stands now, it sounds like Manning's time in military prison's been a bit of a living hell, as harsh as a description as it may sound. There's a reason we stopped using isolation cells in the normal prison system until recent decades...

Also, don't get me wrong, I don't endorse what Manning did necessarily, but at the same time I cannot endorse retaliatory action against whistleblowers on principle.

Edited:

America has big whistle-blower problem.
    Exactly. There's been much documentation over the past years of the 'official' government bodies for handling whistleblowers and their cases failing to perform adequately, or in many cases acting as tools for the people implicated in wrongdoing in these cases to directly retaliate at the whistleblowers. It's a systemic issue, and one that needs to be solved through activism and reform.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 8 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    4,028 Posts
    nice casual trans hate lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 39 (list)

23. Post #23
    /////////
    April 2011
    8,974 Posts

yes because she's a hero and sacrificed her freedom and possibly life to expose terrible things that our government did
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac New Opera United States Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,720 Posts
    Did that happen? Enough time has passed that if it did, there should be evidence or mention somewhere.
    Sorry to say, man, but I've read about that happening. Anyone who assisted the coalition has been targeted by the Taliban if they found out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    11,315 Posts
    who?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi United States Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

26. Post #26
    October 2015
    302 Posts
    Chelsea Manning released information showing war crimes committed by the US military. Nobody talks about that, though. The primary focus is to make an example out of her to intimidate other potential whistleblowers into silence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 18 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,385 Posts
    nice casual trans hate lol
    Report and move on????

28. Post #28
    November 2014
    1,298 Posts
    Chelsea Manning released information showing war crimes committed by the US military. Nobody talks about that, though. The primary focus is to make an example out of her to intimidate other potential whistleblowers into silence.
    Precisely. The core (but likely never to be admitted by the government) reason for her receiving a sentence of 35 years (which is admittedly still FAR, far less than what the govt. prosecutors wanted) was to intimidate future whistleblowers from coming forward. The US government has a right to keep secrets, yes, but it has increasingly abused that right time and time again in recent history to allow abuses of power to go unchecked, and in this case, war crimes to go unpunished.

However, I will say that she did indeed go about leaking the information in a very foolish manner, especially by effectively bragging a known grey hat hacker on the simple assumption that he wouldn't go to the feds (which he did), as well as leaking the entire unedited set of files to Wikileaks (which in a par-for-the-course manner put in very little effort to protect the people named in the documents). She did send out information that was important for the world to see, but did it in an inappropriate manner and in turn did endanger the lives of some individuals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    August 2008
    1,068 Posts
    Manning did exposed scummy thing army was doing (and still do) so fuck you.

Edited:

Video of scummy thing in question.

How the fuck do you mistake cameras for AK47s? Also this was village neighborhood. This is just cold-blooded murder.

America has big whistle-blower problem. Lots of people that exposed government crimes are in jail but the ones that should be in jail are roaming free.

IIRC there were armed men in that group including a guy with an RPG which the original edited version of the video Wikileaks released doesn't call attention to. It also doesn't show that this was at a position where insurgents attacked a Humvee earlier in the day
    "But in its zeal to make the video a work of antiwar propaganda, WikiLeaks also released a version that didn’t call attention to an Iraqi who was toting a rocket-propelled grenade and packaged the manipulated version under the tendentious rubric Collateral Murder." The New York Times reported that "Critics contend that the shorter video was misleading because it did not make clear that the attacks took place amid clashes in the neighborhood and that one of the men was carrying a rocket-propelled grenade.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/ma...kileaks-t.html
    Also having just having a camera doesn't immediately make you look like a reporter. Many insurgents would film their attacks for propaganda purposes which is a practice that continues today with ISIS, Syrian Rebels, the Houthis, and the PKK.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!
    March 2008
    4,438 Posts
    if you genuinely seriously no-bs think that someone deserves this kind of punishment for such a "crime" you are genuinely seriously no-bs fucked in the head.

manning should be released and given asylum in a country where you aren't chased for something like this lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Norway Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

31. Post #31
    April 2013
    1,337 Posts
    if she does serve, don't fucking leave her in solitary again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Vivaldi United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    7,663 Posts
    If he did commute manning I would say it should be based on how she was treated in the system more than what crime she committed. Its basically an embarrassment to the country's reputation (haha I know right?) that this stuff is okay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    21,444 Posts
    Dude's out of the game in a week, I doubt he gives even the tiniest of shits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Saged, Hidden, Reported, Filtered & Called the cops
    June 2008
    5,947 Posts
    should be given better prison treatment, yeah, its inhumane with all the suicide attempts and solitary etc., but i dont think commuting the sentence should happen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,466 Posts
    If he did commute manning I would say it should be based on how she was treated in the system more than what crime she committed. Its basically an embarrassment to the country's reputation (haha I know right?) that this stuff is okay
    Manning was treated the same as ANY OTHER prisoner in the military prison. This isn't Abu Gharib, or Gitmo.

if you genuinely seriously no-bs think that someone deserves this kind of punishment for such a "crime" you are genuinely seriously no-bs fucked in the head.

manning should be released and given asylum in a country where you aren't chased for something like this lol
    Sorry son, but when you violate the UCMJ as well as providing enough information about operations that correspond to national security, no matter how dirty they are you're still violating your obligation to no release said information that the enemy could a hold of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,982 Posts
    Manning was treated the same as ANY OTHER prisoner in the military prison. This isn't Abu Gharib, or Gitmo.
    Sounds like our general prison practices are totally fucked in the head, solitary confinement is torture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,466 Posts
    Sounds like our general prison practices are totally fucked in the head, solitary confinement is torture.
    Maybe on a state and private level. Many of them are typically designed to keep problematic prisoners away from each other or ones deemed dangerous.

Manning's case is she's attempting suicide, several times and the end result they need to separate her and keep a constant watch to make she she doesn't attempt it again. No offense either but this is what Manning's normal cell looks like.

Keeping in mind this a bare cell, but this is far from the outrageous claims that there's mistreatment.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    11,315 Posts
    Maybe on a state and private level. Many of them are typically designed to keep problematic prisoners away from each other or ones deemed dangerous.

Manning's case is she's attempting suicide, several times and the end result they need to separate her and keep a constant watch to make she she doesn't attempt it again. No offense either but this is what Manning's normal cell looks like.

Keeping in mind this a bare cell, but this is far from the outrageous claims that there's mistreatment.
    solitary confinement for 35 years is arguably torture, regardless of the room's accommodations.

Edited:

For some people, particularly people that suffer from some form of severe depression or post-trauma (like trans people!), a few weeks in solitary confinement can have very apparent and serious detrimental effects to someone's mental health.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,466 Posts
    solitary confinement for 35 years is arguably torture, regardless of the room's accommodations.
    For 35 years yeah that is bad. But, she's was placed in solitary for an indefinite amount of time because of these past attempts. That doesn't mean she's in there for the duration, but she's in there till the chaplains and psychologist actually deem she's not a threat to her own well being. No offense on it but if you've failed several attempts on your own life, you going to be watched for a very long time in any prison.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    11,315 Posts
    Maybe she keeps trying to kill herself because she's in prison!