1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    4,812 Posts
    good comic, shame the game is on life support
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Starred Starred x 12 (list)

2. Post #42
    support my deus ex fanfiction
    November 2009
    3,397 Posts
    Citadel and Vanguard are both defensive things, so is Fortress. Dunno about Echelon though.

sorta works i guess
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    Brought to you by the letter B
    December 2006
    9,787 Posts
    The comics may only come out once in a blue moon but god damn do they never fail at making me chuckle.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 27 (list)

4. Post #44
    August 2013
    4,444 Posts
    Citadel and Vanguard are both defensive things, so is Fortress. Dunno about Echelon though.
    Echelon is a formation, so basically team.

5. Post #45
    Ask me about my Marvel/DC fetish
    May 2010
    27,114 Posts
    Echelon is a formation, so basically team.
    Team Team.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 27 (list)

6. Post #46
    The Colombian Dragon of Facepunch
    March 2013
    3,868 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Colombia Show Events Starred Starred x 52 (list)

7. Post #47

September 2016
    57 Posts
    Overwatch can suck it. This game (and even more so its story) is a lot more entertaining and iconic to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 34 (list)

8. Post #48
    July 2013
    3,442 Posts
    Overwatch can suck it. This game (and even more so its story) is a lot more entertaining and iconic to me.
    Overwatch is really good, but TF2 was amazing. This comic is a good reminder
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 24 (list)

9. Post #49
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    29,155 Posts
    Valve comics are 10000% better than Blizzard comics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 69 (list)

10. Post #50
    March 2013
    7,154 Posts
    Overwatch's "lore" will never come close to TF2's. Not with Blizzard's writing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Germany Show Events Starred Starred x 16 (list)

11. Post #51
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    20,321 Posts
    Where'd you see that
    Now wouldn't that imply that these people all have a twin? Are we stepping into Metal Gear territory here?

Edited:

I'd like to know where you saw that too.
    Remember that in Meet the Spy Blu Spy had pictures of Blu Scout's mom with Red Spy. So unless both Red and Blu Spy were getting it on with Blu Scout's mom, it's safe to assume Red Spy is also Blu Scout's dad.

Edited:

Overwatch's "lore" will never come close to TF2's. Not with Blizzard's writing.
    Bluntly put, Blizzard can only write tropey stereotypes. All their characters are basic and shallow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 13 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,073 Posts
    Probably a 70's version of military code wording, like Alpha Bravo and Charlie

13. Post #53
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    29,155 Posts
    Tom Jones' Sex Bomb single came out in 1999 rather than the 60s.

Then again, most technology are way past its time and I'm worrying about a song's release date.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    12,777 Posts
    Scout's name is apparently Jeremy.
    For those of you keeping score at home:

Scout: Jeremy
    Soldier: Jane Doe (likely a pseudonym)
    Pyro: unknown
    Demoman: Tavish Finnegan DeGroot
    Heavy: Mikhail ("Misha")
    Engineer: Dell Conagher
    Medic: Mr. Ludwig
    Sniper: Mun-Dee ("Mr. Mundy")
    Spy: unknown
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 27 (list)

15. Post #55
    July 2007
    1,702 Posts
    Why are my favorite characters muscular Russian women who's name start with Z and end with A.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 28 (list)

16. Post #56
    October 2014
    1,616 Posts
    This is the kind of stuff I love tf2 for, the nudity, the grotesque violence,    God and Satan making deals with the mercs   ,    making out with your own organs   ,
    tom jones, baboon uteruses, unflinching depiction of gore mixed with sarcasm and the mercs magnificent idiocy.

Overwatch's story is good, but it's way too squeaky clean and calculated, TF2's got unabashed devotion to it's own ridiculous and gory world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 25 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,080 Posts
    This is the kind of stuff I love tf2 for, the nudity, the grotesque violence,    God and Satan making deals with the mercs   ,    making out with your own organs   ,
    tom jones, baboon uteruses, unflinching depiction of gore mixed with sarcasm and the mercs magnificent idiocy.
    there's something very Monty Python about it, now that you put it that way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Finland Show Events Starred Starred x 8 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    12,777 Posts
    Why do people keep comparing it to Overwatch? For crying out loud, it's okay if there is more than one game with online comics involved, not every TF2 thread has to turn into a pissing match with OW.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

19. Post #59
    Facepunch's Resident Game Center CX Expert
    November 2010
    15,695 Posts
    Why do people keep comparing it to Overwatch? For crying out loud, it's okay if there is more than one game with online comics involved, not every TF2 thread has to turn into a pissing match with OW.
    Because TF2 had more chara development and lore in this one comic than OW did with all their videos and other stuff Blizzard has done
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 47 (list)

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    2,940 Posts
    I really wish Valve had their shit together with TF2. I haven't played it in a long time and it makes me quite sad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome New Zealand Show Events Starred Starred x 17 (list)

21. Post #61
    February 2012
    155 Posts
       Nah, a guy said "how did you beat us" and the medic responded with "because we don't have souls", which implies that the reason the team kept coming back from their respective afterlives is because they don't have souls.   
       Hang on. So this is their way of writing the respawn system into the canon? That is pretty darn amazing. I always wondered if and how they were going to tackle that   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Starred Starred x 9 (list)

22. Post #62
    July 2013
    3,442 Posts
    I think you guys are a bit too eager to hate Overwatch's comics, lol

TF2 had 9 years of development to design its characters and it's been 9 years since it was released to build up exposition. Give OW a few years
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    July 2012
    4,590 Posts
       pages like 19 and 31    border on genuine horror and i love it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    10,248 Posts
    I really wish Valve had their shit together with TF2. I haven't played it in a long time and it makes me quite sad.
    To be fair, the game has lasted longer than I could have imagined. I'm glad they updated the game as much as they did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

25. Post #65
    February 2014
    846 Posts
    I tried to read it, but it's just so crap. The early issues of the comic were amazing, but the more recent ones read like bad fanfiction. There is too much shipping and focus on irrelevant characters. But that's just my opinion and most people seem to enjoy it. The art is really good at least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Norway Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

26. Post #66
    November 2009
    3,397 Posts
    I tried to read it, but it's just so crap. The early issues of the comic were amazing, but the more recent ones read like bad fanfiction. There is too much shipping and focus on irrelevant characters. But that's just my opinion and most people seem to enjoy it. The art is really good at least.
    i'm confused on what you want from a comic then. the tf team are great and all, but they've been explored to death, so if we don't explore new characters and new subplots, then we'd just get more of the same?

and i'd say it's pretty abrasive to refer to it as "crap." of course it's your opinion and thanks for letting us keep ours, but imo you need to back that up with a more substantial claim.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    3,159 Posts
    Remember that in Meet the Spy Blu Spy had pictures of Blu Scout's mom with Red Spy. So unless both Red and Blu Spy were getting it on with Blu Scout's mom, it's safe to assume Red Spy is also Blu Scout's dad.
    This is assuming that TF2 will ever actually establish RED and BLU versions of each class as distinctly different characters, instead of waving their hands and telling everyone not to think about it too hard.

Remember that the original point of the WAR! update was that Soldier was BLU and Demoman was RED. Fast forward to here and they have the same relationship but are both RED. Even though that particular Soldier should probably be long dead, since BLU does nothing but get it's face stomped in and we've seen the BLU Soldier die grisly deaths countless times on-screen because of that. Occasionally several times in one shot.

They seem to be treated as always the same character, even in situations where it just gets more complicated to do so. Like all Snipers getting a scar because RED Spy cut a BLU Sniper that one time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    November 2009
    3,397 Posts
    -goddamn automerge-

29. Post #69
    Ask me about my Marvel/DC fetish
    May 2010
    27,114 Posts
    Maybe the Mercs are Blu and Red and just switch inbetween.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    2,940 Posts
    To be fair, the game has lasted longer than I could have imagined. I'm glad they updated the game as much as they did.
    Sure but it could have easily gone on much longer. It died due to neglect and mismanagement not due to disinterest from the community or the game not making money anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome New Zealand Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

31. Post #71
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    20,321 Posts
    This is assuming that TF2 will ever actually establish RED and BLU versions of each class as distinctly different characters, instead of waving their hands and telling everyone not to think about it too hard.

Remember that the original point of the WAR! update was that Soldier was BLU and Demoman was RED. Fast forward to here and they have the same relationship but are both RED. Even though that particular Soldier should probably be long dead, since BLU does nothing but get it's face stomped in and we've seen the BLU Soldier die grisly deaths countless times on-screen because of that. Occasionally several times in one shot.

They seem to be treated as always the same character, even in situations where it just gets more complicated to do so. Like all Snipers getting a scar because RED Spy cut a BLU Sniper that one time.
    There is a point about them being twins of each other, but they are at least distinct characters. Both Red and Blu spy show up together in Meet the Spy, within moments of Blu Spy's death. And Blu Spy speaks of Red Spy as an entirely separate person, and technically Red Spy was present while Blu Spy was still alive, he was just in disguise.

Edited:

Sure but it could have easily gone on much longer. It died due to neglect and mismanagement not due to disinterest from the community or the game not making money anymore.
    Its hardly dead. Its currently sitting as the third game with move players at this moment, and stays within the top ten for peak players.
    Maybe it is dead to you, but it's not dead to many.
    Further, right now the only games beating it for current players are CS:GO and Dota 2, both of which are more recent Valve games that ultimately have a far bigger media sensation around them because of both's lineage and esports presence.

This is the current Top 10:

Ark is a meme survival game that only beats TF2 for peak by less than 1000 players. GTAV is the most recent in a world-renowned series from one of the biggest developers, and I believe is still one of the best selling video game of all time. Football Manager 2017 is another in a long-running series that appeals to an absurdly dedicated fanbase. Rocket League is another esport game that has decent renown in the media for that. Then next up are Gmod and Rust, both games we know well and meme games in their own rights. Finally we have Civilization V, another game with major renown and a dedicated fanbase, albeit fractured between V and VI. TF2 is not dead at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 9 (list)

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    3,159 Posts
    There is a point about them being twins of each other, but they are at least distinct characters. Both Red and Blu spy show up together in Meet the Spy, within moments of Blu Spy's death. And Blu Spy speaks of Red Spy as an entirely separate person, and technically Red Spy was present while Blu Spy was still alive, he was just in disguise.
    Yeah, and RED Medic and Heavy kill enough BLU Soldiers in the span of ten seconds or so to create an actual mountain of corpses, with the RED soldier present in a scene later. And we know that the BLU Soldiers are just like the RED one from videos like Meet the Sandvich, the WAR! update, and even Meet the Spy itself.

TF2 media in general does not really consider BLU team an actual, defined group. The RED team is the focus, and those characters are established (as well as unique, only one of each)... while BLU is filled with unlimited amounts of exactly the same but expendable duplicates which only exist for the RED team to show off against in promos. The closest they got to being actual characters was, as already stated, Meet the Spy; which was mostly a narrative workaround to making a short to hype up a character who would be hiding for the majority of it.

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,696 Posts

Edited:

Its hardly dead. Its currently sitting as the third game with move players at this moment, and stays within the top ten for peak players.
    Maybe it is dead to you, but it's not dead to many.
    Further, right now the only games beating it for current players are CS:GO and Dota 2, both of which are more recent Valve games that ultimately have a far bigger media sensation around them because of both's lineage and esports presence.

This is the current Top 10:

Ark is a meme survival game that only beats TF2 for peak by less than 1000 players. GTAV is the most recent in a world-renowned series from one of the biggest developers, and I believe is still one of the best selling video game of all time. Football Manager 2017 is another in a long-running series that appeals to an absurdly dedicated fanbase. Rocket League is another esport game that has decent renown in the media for that. Then next up are Gmod and Rust, both games we know well and meme games in their own rights. Finally we have Civilization V, another game with major renown and a dedicated fanbase, albeit fractured between V and VI. TF2 is not dead at all.
    Personaly i think this player count argument is wrong, yes the game is on 3rd place for years, but its player count is stagnated for years, while for example csgo numbers exploded. If valve released good updates on those years we would get more players.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

34. Post #74
    June 2014
    7,203 Posts
       Hang on. So this is their way of writing the respawn system into the canon? That is pretty darn amazing. I always wondered if and how they were going to tackle that   
    Not really, for everybody who dies it's pretty clearly the first time it has happened, and this all takes place after the events of everything in the game right now. So they would have to have never died during the events of the game, meaning it can't explain respawn.

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    12,777 Posts
    I think it's like (sorry) Overwatch where the comics and game inform each other but aren't really a 1:1 story match on account of them being different mediums

36. Post #76
    March 2014
    1,043 Posts
    As much as I hate Overwatch Vs TF2 posts, there is one thing similar (imo) about the comics

They should both be considered separate from the game. The comics (and videos in overwatch's case) should be considered canon while game events and happenings are not

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    12,777 Posts
    As much as I hate Overwatch Vs TF2 posts, there is one thing similar (imo) about the comics

They should both be considered separate from the game. The comics (and videos in overwatch's case) should be considered canon while game events and happenings are not
    While there clearly is overlap (like Redmond and Blutarch's appearance in Scream Fortress 2013) there's also obvious broad differences

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    8,276 Posts

I'm pretty certain that the events of the TF2 game are (slightly wishy-washy) canon, they're depicting the end of the Gravel Wars which took place before all of the comics.

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    4,812 Posts
    we're team fortress and you're dead?

more like, we're team fortress and we're dead
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Starred Starred x 15 (list)

40. Post #80
    September 2015
    1,026 Posts
    Yeah, and RED Medic and Heavy kill enough BLU Soldiers in the span of ten seconds or so to create an actual mountain of corpses, with the RED soldier present in a scene later. And we know that the BLU Soldiers are just like the RED one from videos like Meet the Sandvich, the WAR! update, and even Meet the Spy itself.

TF2 media in general does not really consider BLU team an actual, defined group. The RED team is the focus, and those characters are established (as well as unique, only one of each)... while BLU is filled with unlimited amounts of exactly the same but expendable duplicates which only exist for the RED team to show off against in promos. The closest they got to being actual characters was, as already stated, Meet the Spy; which was mostly a narrative workaround to making a short to hype up a character who would be hiding for the majority of it.
    The Engineer featured in the comics is nearly always a BLU Engineer named Dell Conagher, though.

I think there were two or three RED Engineers, but they all looked rather different from the in-game Engineer and got killed off after a panel or two.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Waterfox Finland Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)