1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,678 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 45Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    January 2014
    102 Posts
    "The old mario games had incredible story"
    "Yeah"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Chrome Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 97Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,007 Posts
    The mario games were the pinnacle of video game story telling what are you on about

bitch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 19 (list)

4. Post #4
    I do it all
    November 2010
    19,702 Posts
    kinda cool seeing a ceo of a huge company take interest in video games, he seems like such a normal person to talk to, like you could have a beer with him at a pub and he wouldnt even talk much about his business or who he really is

you dont find that quality in a lot of ceos
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 54Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    18,488 Posts
    kinda cool seeing a ceo of a huge company take interest in video games, he seems like such a normal person to talk to, like you could have a beer with him at a pub and he wouldnt even talk much about his business or who he really is

Elon explains the artistry behind Fallout in the first 30 seconds of this
    memesets
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 24Funny Funny x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    Certified Witch - Cutie Department
    April 2007
    22,075 Posts
    don't let elon musk hear you play cookie clicker though

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 57Winner Winner x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    7,016 Posts
    did he really say mario lol

i think musk was talking about the old deus ex and adventure games when he meant older games
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,809 Posts
    sorta funny that musk seemed to be more video game savvy than the actual interviewer who brought up the question to begin with

he'd totally be the best shitposter here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 60 (list)

9. Post #9
    October 2015
    97 Posts

musk has a hard time talking about a lot of things he cares about, he doesnt really know how to properly express a lot of stuff (he's given a LOT of awkward interviews where the person interviewing him is borderline retarded in regards to the question they are asking, then he just freezes up for a bit)

i think videogames are an incredibly simple thing for him to talk about because on some level everyone understands it, you could see his face light up in that conversation and it was honestly heart warming to see him not struggle as much
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 31Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Very Jelly Despicable Douchebag
    January 2007
    13,199 Posts
    the guy claims deus ex belongs to his heart so hes 110% a-okay in my books. he was alright before too what with the whole tech stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    15,942 Posts
    I wonder if Elon has played Garry's Mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    October 2014
    2,268 Posts
    I wonder if Elon has played Garry's Mod.
    what if OP is actually Elon and is self-advertising?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 22Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    March 2014
    1,076 Posts
    Well, he did make a video game in 1984 at the age of 12. Makes sense that he'd be so into them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Informative Informative x 12Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    17,201 Posts
    It's pretty hilarious that seemed to know more about games than the people there.

15. Post #15
    October 2016
    242 Posts
    At first I thought it would be a lame "Hello fellow kids" situation, because I simply can't believe he has time to play videogames when he is the CEO of SpaceX and Tesla and so on...

But he does, I am pleasantly surprised. Maybe I will meet him some day, I will ask him if he plays KSP.

16. Post #16
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    9,051 Posts
    At first I thought it would be a lame "Hello fellow kids" situation, because I simply can't believe he has time to play videogames when he is the CEO of SpaceX and Tesla and so on...

But he does, I am pleasantly surprised. Maybe I will meet him some day, I will ask him if he plays KSP.
    He's already been asked that question 3 or 4 times and his answer has always been no
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,652 Posts
    what if OP is actually Elon and is self-advertising?
    What if Garry is Elon?

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    5,184 Posts
    What if Garry is Elon?
    I don't think I can hear Elon Musk talking about cumming into a bag until a baby happens
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16 (list)

19. Post #19
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    18,488 Posts
    Well, he did make a video game in 1984 at the age of 12. Makes sense that he'd be so into them.
    It's called Blastar and you can play it online: https://blastar-1984.appspot.com

He taught himself how to code on his first computer when he was ~10-12 and made and sold his first game. When Elon and his brother were teens they tried to buy an arcade. They got so far all they needed was a signature, but they were minors and their parents didn't let them.

When he moved to silicon valley, he was briefly hired as a low level coder for a game company trying to use CD's to store game software. Within a few weeks Musk was working off the rails and was impossible to boss around.

20. Post #20
    nox
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,196 Posts
    Spot on about the decline of good storytelling in games. Who needs it when you've got multiplayer PVP battles and hunger bars to keep up with?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 23Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Brought to you by the letter B
    December 2006
    9,495 Posts
    Spot on about the decline of good storytelling in games. Who needs it when you've got multiplayer PVP battles and hunger bars to keep up with?
    you'be been lookin at the wrong games then friendo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    7,065 Posts
    Did you play Uncharted 4?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    July 2016
    1,412 Posts
    memesets
    I bet Elon is a legion guy

which is the only right guy to be   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Poland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    I wish I was as cool as Felix :)
    April 2010
    9,336 Posts
    I would've thought Kerbal Space Program

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,731 Posts
    Not every game is Rust, maybe you should branch out a bit?

26. Post #26
    December 2013
    4,748 Posts
    memesets
    deus ex and new vegas

this man has some great taste in video games
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    5,354 Posts
    I feel like that interviewer only started playing game around the ps3/xbox 360 era since Last of Us is relatively new
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    IDIOT WHO IS NEVER FUNNY AND CANT UNDER STAND WHEN NOT WANTED
    September 2006
    9,597 Posts
    I know Elon can be a bit awkward during interviews, but he was pretty damn great in this one. The interviewer, though? He was so bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,557 Posts
    "The old mario games have incredible story."

Like, you have the cool opportunity to ask Elon about video games that influenced him, and he even leads you on with the interest in DeusEx, and you blow it that badly. That's a shame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

30. Post #30
    nox
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,196 Posts
    Not every game is Rust, maybe you should branch out a bit?
    Prior to things like reliable internet connections, better graphics, fluid animations, open world maps, and hugely popular multiplayer shooters like COD and Counter Strike there was more of a need to rely on good storytelling to drive sales,. Rich descriptive text and story were needed to express what little visuals games had. Obviously we still have great storylines in modern games, but IMO plenty of developers are slowly realizing how little story is needed to drive sales when they can just tack on a multiplayer or survival zombie mode, or, simply filling the game world with side quest filler busy work. I'll go back to playing Arcanum I guess.

Also I've never played rust, I thought there was some sort of backstory to it though.

deus ex and new vegas

this man has some great taste in video games
    Coincidentally, Elon reminds me of Mr. House.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    "The old mario games had incredible story telling"

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 31Zing Zing x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    August 2010
    1,108 Posts
    Prior to things like reliable internet connections, better graphics, fluid animations, open world maps, and hugely popular multiplayer shooters like COD and Counter Strike there was more of a need to rely on good storytelling to drive sales,. Rich descriptive text and story were needed to express what little visuals games had. Obviously we still have great storylines in modern games, but IMO plenty of developers are slowly realizing how little story is needed to drive sales when they can just tack on a multiplayer or survival zombie mode, or, simply filling the game world with side quest filler busy work. I'll go back to playing Arcanum I guess.

Also I've never played rust, I thought there was some sort of backstory to it though.
    I think you are looking at it through a thick pair of rose-tinted glasses. A lot of old games made virtually no attempt at storytelling whatsoever and many of the ones that did did it poorly. Yeah there are the great few that are actually remembered because they were good, but generally I would say that narrative was considered even less important in the past than it is today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,554 Posts
    I bet Elon is a legion guy

which is the only right guy to be   
    TBH I'd have thought he'd be more a Mr. House type.

Greater good of humanity yo   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,557 Posts
    "The old mario games had incredible story telling"

Thanks for the new avatar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Funny Funny x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,142 Posts
    I wonder if he likes tales of clones and big giant robots...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,557 Posts
    No joke, I was gonna post that I have a weird fantasy that Elon and Kojima would team up on a project somehow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

37. Post #37
    nox
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,196 Posts
    I think you are looking at it through a thick pair of rose-tinted glasses. A lot of old games made virtually no attempt at storytelling whatsoever and many of the ones that did did it poorly. Yeah there are the great few that are actually remembered because they were good, but generally I would say that narrative was considered even less important in the past than it is today.
    What I see today from a lot of AAA devs is a greater emphasis on the multiplayer experience which is where the money is at. Multiplayer is where you can start charging for ingame items, cosmetics, extra maps, gamemodes, premium memberships, the list goes on. Charging for ingame items/cosmetics in SP games is not a widely accepted idea because mods allow for so much freedom. From a strictly profit standpoint it doesn't make sense to waste a ton of development time on a deep engaging SP or a new DLC which takes months to develop and then they can only charge customers for it once.

Look at what Bethesda tried to do with their paid mods. Companies are greedy entities, they're all about finding what allows for the best profit:effort ratio and exploiting it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    2,941 Posts
    that first part was between two ferns

39. Post #39
    May 2014
    8,214 Posts
    The Souls games?
    The Shin Megami Tensei series?
    The Persona series?
    The Metal Gear Solid series?
    Fallout New Vegas?
    The Witcher games?

That's excluding the tons of indie/small studio games with great writing. Like...
    Undertale
    The Lisa games
    Amnesia
    Hotline Miami 1 and 2
    and the list goes on!
    Edited:

I'm having a real difficult time thinking of any retro AAA games with a great story.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)