1. Post #1
    Brought to you by the letter B
    December 2006
    9,797 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Informative x 6Agree x 5Dumb x 3Friendly x 1Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I bought this title for a dollar I am special
    April 2011
    592 Posts
    is tilt just the new meme word for anger

i mean we've gone from "u mad bro" to "you're just salty" to "bruh get tilted"??

did i mention i hate all of those and find them omega childish
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 52Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    I've never heard the term used this way in my life
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 31Disagree Disagree x 7Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    GOLF WANG
    August 2006
    7,908 Posts
    I heard tilt / full tilt being referenced with fighting game players a long while back.

Sure has evolved since the " BK SCKRANDY " days ( bad kid / random ).

I guess it makes sense though, you get mad at a pinball machine, it gets moved and triggers the TILT sensor.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    4,882 Posts

i mean we've gone from "u mad bro" to "you're just salty" to "bruh get tilted"??

"Salty" is mostly an insult to someone who gets really upset when they lose.

"Tilted" or "on Tilt" means your frustration is making you (and possibly your allies) play worse. It's not really used much as an insult.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 32Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    2,100 Posts
    I could definitely see some little shit saying something along the lines of, "lol you tilted bro".

I don't usually let my frustration alter my gameplay. Aside from GTA Online... I hate when some little spooge comes flying across the map to wrecking ball what I'm doing, for no apparent reason. I can get fairly pissed, since most things are very time consuming.
    To combat their auto aim, I'll just follow them at a distance, and snipe them relentlessly until they leave the server.

7. Post #7
    DD's Neurosurgeon
    November 2009
    7,809 Posts
    I always thought tilt when a player makes a single mistake, let's say they throw a game in street fighter where they only had to hit the other player once, and lost. So then the rest of the match they are so distraught or still thinking about how they fucked up, that they lose then next matches because they are still crushed about how they dropped the guaranteed win. In my mind, tilt is another name for mindfucked.

8. Post #8
    I bought this title for a dollar I am special
    April 2011
    592 Posts

"Tilted" or "on Tilt" means your frustration is making you (and possibly your allies) play worse. It's not really used much as an insult.
    it appears both my opinion and thought were wrong.

thank you for the clarification.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 15 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    16,628 Posts
    i smoke weed to handle my "tilt"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree x 5Funny x 2Informative x 1Smarked x 1Useful x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    2,100 Posts
    That's exactly what I was thinking, watching the video.

11. Post #11
    December 2006
    9,797 Posts
    Yeah, tilted is pretty much means a downward spiral of losing morale and composure making you play worse which further contributes to said loss of morale and composure.

Think of the exact opposite which would be someone being "in the zone".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

12. Post #12

November 2014
    13 Posts
    I think Tilt is actually a gaming term, or at least it gets thrown around a lot in the EA NHL games. EA's NHL "Tilt", or "Ice Tilt" is basically the game making adjustments ingame to make the AI controlled teammates better or worse depending on how well the player or players are doing. Basically the better the player on that team, the worse the AI gets on that said team and vice versa. It gets pretty bad at times. You basically get cases where one player who basically controls the entire game, gets 50 grade A, point blank shots and the AI goalie stops all but one of them while the other person only gets 4 or 5, 80ft shots in the entire game and your goalie doesn't stop any of them and ends up winning the game.

I don't know if EA's other sports games, like FIFA, is like that, but it's incredibly bad in NHL and that's where I know "Tilt" from. I have never heard of Tilt being used as a description for frustration up until this video.

13. Post #13
    February 2009
    27,282 Posts
    it appears both my opinion and thought were wrong.

thank you for the clarification.
    at least you apologized but please watch the video and he explains the term and where it comes from (poker and even pinball)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member

February 2005
    3,180 Posts
    I think Tilt is actually a gaming term, or at least it gets thrown around a lot in the EA NHL games. EA's NHL "Tilt", or "Ice Tilt" is basically the game making adjustments ingame to make the AI controlled teammates better or worse depending on how well the player or players are doing. Basically the better the player on that team, the worse the AI gets on that said team and vice versa. It gets pretty bad at times. You basically get cases where one player who basically controls the entire game, gets 50 grade A, point blank shots and the AI goalie stops all but one of them while the other person only gets 4 or 5, 80ft shots in the entire game and your goalie doesn't stop any of them and ends up winning the game.

I don't know if EA's other sports games, like FIFA, is like that, but it's incredibly bad in NHL and that's where I know "Tilt" from. I have never heard of Tilt being used as a description for frustration up until this video.
    Probably just an appropriate word they used up to apply to their system that makes slight adjustments to the game. Tilted is a fairly recent thing in gaming afaik, I mix with a lot of people from different game backgrounds so I hear a lot of the lingo going around and its only like the last 6 months-1 year that the word tilted came about.

It's a timeless tactic from both games and life in general just with a label slapped on it. You encourage your opponents strong negative emotions to get them to make rash decisions or throw off their play.

When you see all the MLG memes about pro CoD tournaments where both teams are screaming at each other when they get kills its kind of the same thing...Teabagging, taunts etc as well are all obnoxious things people to do piss their opponent off, maybe thats the goal but it can have the effect of making them play worse as well. Makes you sound like a dick but I try to do it as well. If I recognize someone or a group of people in a game are getting tilted by something and they are visible screwing up/being rash I try my best to take advantage of it and push it more. Teabagging/taunting on their body is probably the easiest and most obnoxious way to make someone want to punch you in the face.

On the flipside if you are getting tilted and are on a losing streak which makes you feel like you are playing worse it's best to just quit and take a bit of a break from the game. Most ranked MOBA type games I'll quit out of and sit out for a few hours if I do horribly and lose 2 games in a row

Also literally never flame teammates nor should you ever rise up to their flaming in chat. I really wish there were some studies done on this but I would be willing to lay down money that people have a far higher loss rate on games where someone starts being abusive to their teammates early on, we all know those games where someone starts a flame war before you have even started the match and you can instantly tell its gonna be a tough game. One of the most frustrating things I find is when people are having an in-game flame war and as a result are spending 10-20s afk every few seconds, all you are doing is further sabotaging your own chances of winning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15

December 2015
    1,949 Posts
    I could definitely see some little shit saying something along the lines of, "lol you tilted bro".
    Tilting is a very common term in LoL and that is exactly what a lot of people say in that game.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,328 Posts
    That's exactly what I was thinking, watching the video.

Of course you were.

17. Post #17
    December 2006
    9,797 Posts
    I mean you stop caring about doing good and just start being amazed by anything in the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,650 Posts
    Other players incompetence, and I manage it by not playing with most people unless I know they're not garbage, or if it's a really eccentric game that requires 0 thought.

Wow it makes me sound like a gigantic douchebag, what I mean is I'd rather play solo or not play something much to avoid running the risk of being a dick.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    14,353 Posts

Tilt doesn't even have to come from frustration, can also be due to you panicking and doing the wrong things for example.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,663 Posts
    This video was essentially, "calm down and collect yourself when you're frustrated/overwhelmed."

If you can't handle your emotions in video games you need to take a break from video games.

Edited:

I can't fucking stand words like "tilt", "salt", "clutch".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    I really like to make music and do audio work, contact me if you need some yes?
    June 2013
    2,216 Posts
    Tilt is used very commonly in esports because it's often times easy to see some players choking up as a result of it. CSGO is a particularly good example since it's easy to see a player missing shots they shouldn't be missing, possibly due to the result of a previous round or something along those lines.

Edited:

Good for you? I mean at this point it's pretty standard terminology in gaming so I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to prove.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

22. Post #22
    December 2006
    9,797 Posts
    This video was essentially, "calm down and collect yourself when you're frustrated/overwhelmed."

If you can't handle your emotions in video games you need to take a break from video games.

Edited:

Tilt in this case refers to a pretty specific phenomenon, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    August 2013
    5,132 Posts
    I'm pretty sure the term 'tilt' originates from poker where it means the same thing as it does in gaming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    16,628 Posts
    I mean you stop caring about doing good and just start being amazed by anything in the game.
    i perform better in csgo stoned than sober tbh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    December 2006
    9,797 Posts
    If you get too anxious normally, I could see it why that would work.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    6,131 Posts
    I drink a single beer, it somehow makes me not tilt so easily.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    9,496 Posts
    I think "tilting" is a fine phrase to use as it sounds a bit better than salty/mad. You can tilt without being mad, for example. Better to keep it in mind as like... you're being slightly off-kilter, or you're making dumb mistakes. Or you've spitting foam because of the pro Genji asking where the heals are in Overwatch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,162 Posts
    It's mostly used in the context of fighting games. The idea is that if you're getting blown the fuck out, you'll probably start to lose your cool and perform worse than if you had just stayed calm. I suppose, if you purposely goad your opponent into getting frustrated, they'll play more poorly than normal.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    28,632 Posts
    Yep. If it helps your ability to remain calm, you can become immune to this sort of thing.

This is how I like to play a lot of games, actually. Back in my TF2 days I would sometimes spend games just harassing people as Spy. You might not get kills but if you split their attention and scare them into not knowing when you're gonna show up and can get enough of them frustrated enough that they'll go nuts just trying to kill you, you can win the game for your team.

I consider actively insulting and goading using text or voice communication to be in poor taste, though.

Edited:

Ironically, I'd consider myself to be somewhat immune to this sort of thing, or at least I have a very high threshold to it. But only because I don't play games competitively. I only play Overwatch at a casual level, for instance, and as a result I wind up not caring as much. So if I lose it's just kinda whatever. If I ever wound up getting frustrated in the least I'd realize I wasn't actually having fun and would probably just stop playing.

That said, if I took this "cool head advantage" and applied it to serious competitive play I'd almost certainly lose it because at that point the game would no longer be just a game to me.

30. Post #30
    November 2012
    5,519 Posts
    This is the equivlant of me coming into a football game and saying:

I can't fucking stand words like "offside" , "ref" , "goalie".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,816 Posts
    I'm surprised none of you knew this is a really old concept dating back even to poker and probably even before that.

Edited:

Infiltration, a high level Street Fighter player, won a South East Asia Major (or at least got really far) buzzed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

32. Post #32
    January 2006
    971 Posts
    I think "tilting" is a fine phrase to use as it sounds a bit better than salty/mad. You can tilt without being mad, for example. Better to keep it in mind as like... you're being slightly off-kilter, or you're making dumb mistakes. Or you've spitting foam because of the pro Genji asking where the heals are in Overwatch.
    I'm just letting you know, you hose wielding drone.

33. Post #33
    BIG TITLE
    November 2009
    12,223 Posts

lol ok.

being on tilt or "tilted" is an ancient term that actually comes from pinball machines from players being frustrated with losing so they tilt the machine to get the ball to go where they want. it was then used in poker. being tilted meant you were frustrated and it wasn't allowing you to play an optimal strategy.

its just been adapted to competitive games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

34. Post #34
    September 2008
    30,376 Posts
    lol ok.

being on tilt or "tilted" is an ancient term that actually comes from pinball machines from players being frustrated with losing so they tilt the machine to get the ball to go where they want. it was then used in poker. being tilted meant you were frustrated and it wasn't allowing you to play an optimal strategy.

its just been adapted to competitive games.
    Yeah, odd how everyone hates the word now. Unless they haven't heard of it before or something I guess.

35. Post #35
    December 2006
    9,797 Posts
    Yeah, odd how everyone hates the word now. Unless they haven't heard of it before or something I guess.
    I hadn't really heard the term used before but it describes something I've observed but haven't been able to define perfectly.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    6,131 Posts
    Tilting is the reason GL HF is used instead of just GL.
    You got to remember to have fun, else you'll probably tilt in a competitive game.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    27,982 Posts
    I play Titanfall 2 stoned out of my mind and I've topped the score boards for the majority of the matches this week

high five brah.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,020 Posts

Edited:

Well for most games yeah, but tilt can also happen a lot at tournaments, and I don't think it's too crazy to get nervous at a tournament setting if you're doing poorly. Like if you're on stream it's easy to get tilted because there's a lot of pressure, and I don't think that means you have to take a break from video games, with a lot of pressure it's no wonder people can get flustered.

39. Post #39
    I play Titanfall 2 stoned out of my mind and I've topped the score boards for the majority of the matches this week

high five brah.
    when i play rainbow six siege on dissociatives i become a tier one operator

40. Post #40
    September 2010
    482 Posts
    Tilt comes from Pinball Machines (No one knows this for sure, it's just speculated). Players would shake the machine when frustrated causing it to display the message "TILT" and not let the player use the flippers. This somehow got adopted into Poker where putting someone on "tilt" causes them to make bad plays or send more tells about what kind of hand they have. Gaming took up on it for the same reason as poker. You put someone on tilt to try and force them into bad plays. Like a user above mentioned, it's a common term in fighting games where making bad plays usually means getting massively combo'd to death.

I'm surprised not many people have heard this word before. Though just like most terms brought into a large community it has been watered down and rarely used for its true meaning.

Edit: Totally missed the post a couple posts above me. Says exactly what mine does.

Edited:

It's kind of ironic to say people who can't handle their emotions in video games need to take a break to then say you "can't fucking stand" a certain set of commonplace words in video games. Don't get me wrong, I find it annoying when you point something out and someone goes "WOW U SALTY KID LOL".