1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    15,940 Posts
    Another hopeful attempt to deregulate suppressors and silencers from National Firearms Act regulation is underway this week.
    The Duncan-Carter Hearing Protection Act was presented by GOP sponsors U.S. Rep. Jeff Duncan of South Carolina and Rep. John Carter from Texas. The bill will take aim to deregulate suppressors as well as promote their use to shooters to prevent hearing loss.
    “Many gun owners and sportsmen suffer severe hearing loss after years of shooting, and yet the tool necessary to reduce such loss is onerously regulated and taxed. It doesn’t make any sense,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director, NRA-ILA. “The Duncan-Carter Hearing Protection Act would allow people easier access to suppressors, which would help them to better protect their hearing.”
    Suppressors have been federally regulated since the passage of the National Firearms Act of 1934. Currently, not even Britain, which has some of the strictest gun laws in the world, has restrictions on suppressors like in the U.S.
    The new proposal also provides the opportunity for a refund on the $200 transfer tax to anyone who purchased a suppressor after October 22, 2015.
    Outdoor Hub
    So... I guess we are the fed now?
    This is going to be a good four years for 2nd Amendment rights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 23 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,138 Posts
    “Many gun owners and sportsmen suffer severe hearing loss after years of shooting, and yet the tool necessary to reduce such loss is onerously regulated and taxed. It doesn’t make any sense,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director, NRA-ILA. “The Duncan-Carter Hearing Protection Act would allow people easier access to suppressors, which would help them to better protect their hearing.”
    Wear earmuffs, what a crock and a half
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 56 (list)

3. Post #3
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    16,498 Posts
    Maybe shoot less guns

(User was banned for this post ("Why reply?" - Novangel))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 26 (list)

4. Post #4

April 2014
    337 Posts
    maybe don't regulate what the people can do for no reason other than the sake of regulation
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 74 (list)

5. Post #5
    So how bout that KNO3?
    September 2010
    560 Posts
    Outdoor Hub
    So... I guess we are the fed now?
    This is going to be a good four years for 2nd Amendment rights.
    My step father insists on shooting without hearing protection, and in his later years, it's showing. I'd probably buy him a suppressor once/if it becomes easier. Also, I'd love to have a suppressor rather than plugged ears, so I can still hear people talking to me. That's such a pain in the ass when you're out hunting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 20 (list)

6. Post #6
    June 2013
    378 Posts
    But wouldn't you, as a shooter, rather suppress your gun and then you dont need the hearing protection?

Maybe shoot less guns
    Maybe exercise some empathy towards people with guns, who obviously want this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 44 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    14,914 Posts
    Maybe shoot less guns
    Hahahahahaha!

No.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 64 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    12,761 Posts
    Maybe shoot less guns
    Okay I understand what you're saying, I can see what you're getting at

But I think I might just shoot more?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 42 (list)

9. Post #9
    FZE
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,355 Posts
    I shot less guns once and it was awful, would not recommend
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 65 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    6,007 Posts
    I like how most people think suppressors work like they do in the movies, and the reality is that they do not, shots are still loud, and you should still wear ear protection even with a suppressor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 59 (list)

11. Post #11
    July 2015
    1,281 Posts
    I understand where this bill is coming from, but I have some fear that in a case of say a mass shooting or maybe even a single homicide, the reaction taken upon it would be delayed more than it would with a suppressor-less gun, wouldn't it? If the reaction was delayed, wouldn't the result may end in more casualties or more time for a murderer to escape?

12. Post #12
    So how bout that KNO3?
    September 2010
    560 Posts
    I like how most people think suppressors work like they do in the movies, and the reality is that they do not, shots are still loud, and you should still wear ear protection even with a suppressor.
    It would be great for people like my step-father who simply refuse to use earplugs when they go hunting. Criticize him as you like, but he's obviously doing it correctly based on the number of trophies he's accumulated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Well, what had happened was.....
    February 2009
    4,120 Posts
    I understand where this bill is coming from, but I have some fear that in a case of say a mass shooting or maybe even a single homicide, the reaction taken upon it would be delayed more than it would with a suppressor-less gun, wouldn't it? If the reaction was delayed, wouldn't the result may end in more casualties or more time for a murderer to escape?
    The shots are still loud as fuck, but it brings the decibel levels down so that it no longer produces permanent hearing damage for the shooter. You will still hear the shots and all because you can't suppress the crack of a bullet going supersonic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 27 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    12,837 Posts
    A gunshot from a suppressed weapon is still loud and many people don't even know what a real gun outside of a movie/video game sounds like anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPad Safari United States Show Events Starred Starred x 15 (list)

15. Post #15
    FZE
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,355 Posts
    Pistols and rimfire guns can be hearing safe with cans, and every little bit helps on something like a hunting rifle - it's still a huge improvement over unsuppressed shooting in terms of how terrible it is for your ears.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,079 Posts
    It would be great for people like my step-father who simply refuse to use earplugs when they go hunting. Criticize him as you like, but he's obviously doing it correctly based on the number of trophies he's accumulated.
    Doing what correctly? Considering he's suffered hearing damage he clearly isn't "doing it correctly". However good a shot he is isn't relevant as to whether or not he's worn proper protection. My father is the same way in that he outright refuses to wear ear protection, to the extent that he and his friends would joke about me being a wuss when I was younger because I wanted ear protection.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

17. Post #17
    February 2009
    4,120 Posts
    Pistols and rimfire guns can be hearing safe with cans, and every little bit helps on something like a hunting rifle - it's still a huge improvement over unsuppressed shooting in terms of how terrible it is for your ears.
    If this happens, I'm getting my Tikka T3 Lite in .308 threaded, or trading it in for the tactical version with a threaded barrel. Gonna be so much better when hunting.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    1,634 Posts
    Maybe shoot less guns
    I feel like this post was written expressly to stir shit up.

"We'd like to pass this bill to help curb hearing loss associated with firearms."
    "Use firearms less."

How is this not threadshitting?

Edited:

Doing what correctly? Considering he's suffered hearing damage he clearly isn't "doing it correctly". However good a shot he is isn't relevant as to whether or not he's worn proper protection. My father is the same way in that he outright refuses to wear ear protection, to the extent that he and his friends would joke about me being a wuss when I was younger because I wanted ear protection.
    I think his argument is that wearing ear protection would reduce his efficiency at hunting. Being able to hear what you're hunting really helps. His father probably wouldn't have won any awards if he couldn't hear his surroundings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 19 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    2,242 Posts
    Maybe shoot less guns
    Yeah, nah.

This is a good thing, anyway. There's no reason I should have to pay out the ass and go through useless red tape for a suppressor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    July 2015
    1,281 Posts
    The shots are still loud as fuck, but it brings the decibel levels down so that it no longer produces permanent hearing damage for the shooter. You will still hear the shots and all because you can't suppress the crack of a bullet going supersonic.
    That's interesting. Just looked up what a real suppressor sounds like. Thanks for informing me on the suppressor.

Now my whole life is a lie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,079 Posts
    I think his argument is that wearing ear protection would reduce his efficiency at hunting. Being able to hear what you're hunting really helps. His father probably wouldn't have won any awards if he couldn't hear his surroundings.
    You don't have to have the ear protection on while you're walking and it takes maybe half a second to put it on, it's not like you're snapshotting the things you're hunting. If you're sitting in one place you may have quite a bit of time before what you're hunting is even in a good position to shoot.

22. Post #22
    October 2015
    1,837 Posts
    Let me know how your muffs go when you're out hunting.

Edited:

A can does not completely dampen the sound from a firearm. There is literally no such thing as a silencer; they're called suppressors because they suppress the sound, not silence it.

Suppressors were originally added to the NFA act because of poaching, not because of hollywood movie bullshit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    1,634 Posts
    You don't have to have the ear protection on while you're walking and it takes maybe half a second to put it on, it's not like you're snapshotting the things you're hunting. If you're sitting in one place you may have quite a bit of time before what you're hunting is even in a good position to shoot.
    I've only been hunting once so someone else would definitely have more experience in this field than I, and while you're correct that a lot of hunting is sitting around waiting, the actual window of opportunity for taking the shot is very slim. Even something as simple as cocking the gun or fumbling with ear muffs can make a skittish deer bolt.

Think about it like this: the problem is with the gun specifically. Using a suppressor targets the noise the gun makes specifically. Wearing earmuffs dulls all sound, regardless of the source. I'm all for gun hobbyists to use earmuffs, especially with fire range shooting. But in hunting, it's a lot less practical. The shoe that fits one hunter is gonna pinch another.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    So how bout that KNO3?
    September 2010
    560 Posts
    What I'm saying is that his method clearly works, and that method involves not wearing hearing protection. I didn't bother taking a picture of the other wall, but there's some sheep, boars, and a mountain lion on it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

25. Post #25
    February 2009
    4,120 Posts
    Just curious, how often do you go hunting and for what game? I could be wrong, but this post sounds like something someone who has never truly been into hunting would say....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 8 (list)

26. Post #26
    October 2015
    1,837 Posts
    Can you find a reason to regulate suppressors other than "you don't need it"? Because thats literally the only argument.

Why restrict something thats going to protect someones hearing with literally no downsides? It's like banning ear plugs.

Furthermore you don't really know what you're talking about since theres not really any hunters out there who wear earpro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,689 Posts
    Now all we need is that Collectible Firearms Protection Act so that we can finally get those Korean M1s.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 13 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,079 Posts
    Just curious, how often do you go hunting and for what game? I could be wrong, but this post sounds like something someone who has never truly been into hunting would say....
    My father first took me hunting when I was about 5, this continued until I was 17. Deer (muzzle loader and shotgun), rabbit, squirrel, turkey a few times.

Can you find a reason to regulate suppressors other than "you don't need it"? Because thats literally the only argument.

Why restrict something thats going to protect someones hearing with literally no downsides? It's like banning ear plugs.
    I never said anything about regulating silencers, it's just stupid to act like they're the only effective way to avoid hearing damage. If you refuse to wear ear protection and suffer hearing loss it's your own fault.

Furthermore you don't really know what you're talking about since theres not really any hunters out there who wear earpro.
    Funny, because in the ~12 years or so that I hunted I met several that wore ear protection.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    October 2015
    1,837 Posts
    My father first took me hunting when I was about 5, this continued until I was 17. Deer (muzzle loader and shotgun), rabbit, squirrel, turkey a few times.
    So hows it feel to have not gotten a single shot off in time because you were fumbling with your ear pro. Alternatively, how many deer do you think walked right past you because you were sitting in the tree stand with muffs on like a fool?

30. Post #30
    February 2009
    4,120 Posts
    So you know how skittish these animals are, how they will bolt at the slightest movement that's a little too sudden, and still think that putting on ear protection is just so easy? With all the adrenaline and an animal looking right at you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    /////////
    Dennab
    April 2011
    9,011 Posts
    cool, pass this and then lets get to work on dismantling the NFA
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 13 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    6,007 Posts
    What do trophies have to do with damaging your hearing over time?

33. Post #33
    June 2013
    11,781 Posts
    Maybe shoot less guns
    lol how selfish and shortsighted can you be

I dont like a certain activity that's completely legal in another country, how about I tell people interested in that hobby to stop doing it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 17 (list)

34. Post #34
    My favorite NSA triggers are small pox cyber terror brown out
    November 2009
    10,094 Posts
    Yea, only pylons use earplugs while hunting. In a deer hunt, you might only fire your gun once in a day, its definitely not worth not being able to hear anything all day.

35. Post #35
    October 2015
    1,837 Posts
    I never said anything about regulating silencers, it's just stupid to act like they're the only effective way to avoid hearing damage. If you refuse to wear ear protection and suffer hearing loss it's your own fault.
    When you're hunting, its the only way to be fully efficient. You're lying or you're delusional if you think you can effectively hunt with ear pro on, or think you can be quick enough to get it on in time for a shot. I'm sure it's doable since you're the flash, but why bother with that shit when you can buy a suppressor legally and easily.

Funny, because in the ~12 years or so that I hunted I met several that wore ear protection.
    Hm, I wonder how many deer they were oblivious too over the years.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,079 Posts
    So you know how skittish these animals are, how they will bolt at the slightest movement that's a little too sudden, and still think that putting on ear protection is just so easy? With all the adrenaline and an animal looking right at you?
    Literally never had any issue scaring animals away, we hunted on the edge of a field and generally had several minutes with the deer in sight so I wasn't exactly scrambling to get ear protection in.

So hows it feel to have not gotten a single shot off in time because you were fumbling with your ear pro. Alternatively, how many deer do you think walked right past you because you were sitting in the tree stand with muffs on like a fool?
    The fuck are you even going on about. It takes literally half a second to get ear protection in place. Never once had something walk right past me because I was "sitting with muffs like a fool" since you can just sit with them on your head but not over your ears and easily have them on with no issue when they're needed.

37. Post #37
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    16,498 Posts
    lol how selfish and shortsighted can you be

I dont like a certain activity that's completely legal in another country, how about I tell people interested in that hobby to stop doing it
    I like to take an abstinence approach to shooting guns, it's much better for my hearing.

alright I'll leave.

38. Post #38
    GOSH FUDGING DARNIT
    January 2008
    8,108 Posts
    oh my god stop arguing about whether it is correct to hunt with or without earpro
    its almost like people have their own opinions and preferences

note: you can also get active earpro to amplify noises but cancel out gunshots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

39. Post #39
    October 2015
    1,837 Posts
    I like to take an abstinence approach to shooting guns, it's much better for my hearing.

alright I'll leave.
    imagine shitting in threads just because you don't like someones hobby.

Edited:

oh my god stop arguing about whether it is correct to hunt with or without earpro
    its almost like people have their own opinions and preferences

note: you can also get active earpro to amplify noises but cancel out gunshots.
    You can also flood your muffs with sweat and be uncomfortable all day if you wanna take that route.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,079 Posts
    When you're hunting, its the only way to be fully efficient. You're lying or you're delusional if you think you can effectively hunt with ear pro on, or think you can be quick enough to get it on in time for a shot. I'm sure it's doable since you're the flash, but why bother with that shit when you can buy a suppressor legally and easily.

Hm, I wonder how many deer they were oblivious too over the years.
    What kind of ear protection are you even talking about that seem to take forever to get on and what the hell (or how) are you hunting that you seem to need to spot and shoot in the span of a few seconds.