1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    4,199 Posts
    I hope this gets passed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

2. Post #82
    Dennab
    October 2015
    1,376 Posts
    Not trying to start an argument coz I actually don't know, how to guns get as quiet as

Is it bad audio compression or are those bullets not capable of killing people
    You would probably struggle to kill anyone with that rifle at anything less than a small room's distance, the force of a .22lr, and a subsonic round at that is pretty much comparable to a pellet gun. .22 rounds get their power from penetration, which comes from speed, which you don't really have with a subsonic round.

Here's a comparison of different rounds, .22lr is the round being shot in the video, while 5.56 and 7.62 are more "standard" cartridge sizes.

I can't really speak to the compression of the video, but it is worth noting that post-processing appears to have normalized the sound so that there's a max volume (can be seen by the volume increase after the round has been fired), which means that the audio has been edited anyway.

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    18,463 Posts
    $200 tax stamps on suppressors wouldn't stop someone who really wanted to have a suppressed weapon illegally anyways, making your own out of shit you can find in your average garage is trivial
    I made one to fit a pretty loud CO2 pellet gun a while back out of a broken maglite clone and some freeze plugs with nothing but a 3/8 tap, 2 drill bits, and a harbor freight drill press.

4. Post #84
    Dennab
    October 2015
    1,376 Posts
    I made one to fit a pretty loud CO2 airgun a while back out of a broken maglite clone and some freeze plugs with nothing but a 3/8 tap, 2 drill bits, and a harbor freight drill press.
    You can make a lethal air gun with PVC piping and some compressed air, I don't even want to imagine what you could make with welded steel / brass and co2

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    18,463 Posts
    You would probably struggle to kill anyone with that rifle at anything less than a small room's distance, the force of a .22lr, and a subsonic round at that is pretty much comparable to a pellet gun. .22 rounds get their power from penetration, which comes from speed, which you don't really have with a subsonic round.

Here's a comparison of different rounds, .22lr is the round being shot in the video, while 5.56 and 7.62 are more "standard" cartridge sizes.

I can't really speak to the compression of the video, but it is worth noting that post-processing appears to have normalized the sound so that there's a max volume (can be seen by the volume increase after the round has been fired), which means that the audio has been edited anyway.
    note that anything right of .380 is considered inadequate for 2 legged targets, and .380 itself is considered barely adequate.

Edited:

You can make a lethal air gun with PVC piping and some compressed air, I don't even want to imagine what you could make with welded steel / brass and co2
    co2 is weak, my next project is going to be a 2 stage light gas gun that if all goes well will send a half inch ball bearing to escape velocity

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    655 Posts
    I made one to fit a pretty loud CO2 pellet gun a while back out of a broken maglite clone and some freeze plugs with nothing but a 3/8 tap, 2 drill bits, and a harbor freight drill press.
    shit it's even easier than that google oil filter thread size than look at some of the reviews of oil filters that pop up on amazon shit amazon sells a fucking kit for the fram PH373

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    20,076 Posts
    Outdoor Hub
    So... I guess we are the fed now?
    This is going to be a good four years for 2nd Amendment rights.
    great for pro 2nd amendment people, not really great for anyone whos a policy maker dealing with stark levels of gun violence or race riots

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    655 Posts
    great for pro 2nd amendment people, not really great for anyone whos a policy maker dealing with stark levels of gun violence or race riots
    It would seem to me that a person that would engage in "gun violence" or "race riots" wouldn't exactly care if their form 4 is filled out correctly .......or at all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 11 (list)

9. Post #89
    October 2016
    421 Posts
    I don't get the regulation - suppressors are not magical tools to make a gun silent. You can still hear the gunfire, just not so loud that it damages your ears so much.

10. Post #90
    GOSH FUDGING DARNIT
    January 2008
    7,835 Posts
    I made
    Nice felony B)

11. Post #91
    My favorite NSA triggers are small pox cyber terror brown out
    November 2009
    9,454 Posts
    Nice felony B)
    I dont think its a felony if its on a co2 rifle, as pellet guns ad bb guns arent considered firearms.

12. Post #92
    July 2016
    1,654 Posts
    I wish i could shoot more guns
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari Poland Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

13. Post #93
    Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!
    March 2008
    4,438 Posts
    what most people itt fail to realize is that suppressors really make hunting and target shooting easier on the enviroment (people around the range, hunting area, hunting dogs etc)

but sure, just say "lol gun owners are fucking retards lol!!!!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Norway Show Events Starred Starred x 15 (list)

14. Post #94
    July 2014
    2,614 Posts
    I like how most people think suppressors work like they do in the movies, and the reality is that they do not, shots are still loud, and you should still wear ear protection even with a suppressor.
    Depends on the firearm and the caliber and whether the loaded ammunition is sonic or subsonic. Some(a select few) guns actually are as silent as hollywood style.

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,016 Posts
    Right, I don't care for guns but I do give a shit about hearing loss and I gotta step in and hopefully save some of you from a real shit mistake that i made.

The human ear is at risk of permenant damage from 85 decibels and up, you are all but guarenteed damage of some kind from 115db, a supressor alone does not do shit to make the sound level safe, in fact even with ear plugs, ear muffs, a supressor, and subsonic rounds combined. You are still at risk simply because of your proximity to the breach. They're too loud no matter what you do.

Wear all the hearing protection you can get or you will fuck yourself.

At best that'll only be hearing loss, pray to fucking god you don't get Tinnitus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

16. Post #96
    I've got a bad feeling about this
    December 2007
    3,153 Posts
    The only time I've shot without hearing protection was about once a year during firearms training for work. They teach you to shoot a couple rounds without ear protection once a year or so, so you remember the sound of a firearm and how loud it is, so you're not caught unaware or startled when you use a firearm in the defense of your own life.

17. Post #97
    April 2016
    577 Posts
    I'm in no way a gun expert (As this post is going to prove) and I'm usually anti-guns, but I can see where people are coming from.

Would there be a way to regulate the types of suppressors, for example would it be possible to regulate supressors for fully and semi automatic weapons while removing it for single shot weapons like rifles which I'm guessing is what most people use for hunting when they use guns. This seems like a solourion to those worried about crime and mass shooting response time, while also keeping hunter's ears intact?

18. Post #98
    Well, what had happened was.....
    February 2009
    4,298 Posts
    I'm in no way a gun expert (As this post is going to prove) and I'm usually anti-guns, but I can see where people are coming from.

Would there be a way to regulate the types of suppressors, for example would it be possible to regulate supressors for fully and semi automatic weapons while removing it for single shot weapons like rifles which I'm guessing is what most people use for hunting when they use guns. This seems like a solourion to those worried about crime and mass shooting response time, while also keeping hunter's ears intact?
    Suppressors are built by caliber, not gun type. There is no reason to be worried about crime or mass shooting because suppressors don't lower the decibel level by that much. Gun shots would still be as loud as a rock concert, it would just help reduce the hearing damage suffered by the person using the gun as well as anyone else who is around them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    697 Posts
    I don't get the regulation - suppressors are not magical tools to make a gun silent. You can still hear the gunfire, just not so loud that it damages your ears so much.
    Someone earlier in the thread said the heavy regulation on suppressors in the NFA was due to poaching, not hollywood horseshit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,085 Posts
    For all the bullshit and outright harm the all GOP congress is going to do, at least they'll have the right idea here.

'Tis the silver lining on the shitstorm clouds, eh boys?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,409 Posts
    My step father insists on shooting without hearing protection, and in his later years, it's showing. I'd probably buy him a suppressor once/if it becomes easier. Also, I'd love to have a suppressor rather than plugged ears, so I can still hear people talking to me. That's such a pain in the ass when you're out hunting.
    But why not wear active hearing-protection?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

22. Post #102
    September 2013
    17,536 Posts
    Actives that can handle something like a .308 are pretty damn expensive. I'd love to be able to buy a suppressor for like $200 and a midrange pair of actives for $100 or so and be good to go
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

23. Post #103
    Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!
    March 2008
    4,438 Posts
    i use both tbh. most people in norway hunt with things like msa sordin supreme pro-x and a suppressor, either a norwegian a-tec or hausken, finnish BR tuote or ase utra, or some swedish brand i don't remember.

24. Post #104
    November 2014
    59 Posts
    The other problem with purchasing a suppressor beyond the $200 tax stamp is the waiting times. I've never had the privilege of being able to afford anything that requires you to jump through a bunch of hoops (especially in Maryland), but the time it takes to get suppressors is really ridiculous. I was buying magazines in WV once and they had their safe full of suppressors that had been sold months ago and were just waiting for the paperwork to come in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    727 Posts
    DO IT.

Would be nice if SBR/SBS weapons get taken off the list while they're at it.

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    7,112 Posts
    DO IT.

Would be nice if SBR/SBS weapons get taken off the list while they're at it.
    I don't see that happening. That makes them concealable.

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    18,463 Posts
    Nice felony B)
    it can't attach to a real firearm. I specifically choose a thread pitch that doesn't match any existing gun. If it can't attach to a gun then as far as the atf cares it's no different than a car muffler (which works the exact same way as a suppressor)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

28. Post #108
    Dennab
    October 2015
    1,376 Posts
    Nice felony B)
    It's not even a felony (or a crime at all) to make a real firearm.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does...m-personal-use

Edited:

co2 is weak, my next project is going to be a 2 stage light gas gun that if all goes well will send a half inch ball bearing to escape velocity
    Are you going to get anywhere near NASA's .8 miles per second? That's really cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

29. Post #109
    I wish I was as cool as Felix :)
    April 2010
    8,869 Posts
    It's not even a felony (or a crime at all) to make a real firearm.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does...m-personal-use
    NFA items are a different story
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/at...ter-7/download

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    18,463 Posts
    but if it can't attach to a firearm, it's not an NFA item. a lot of airguns even come with integral suppressors
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

31. Post #111
    Dennab
    October 2015
    1,376 Posts
    My bad, for some reason I read the original post as milling a firearm, not a suppressor.

32. Post #112
    Spirit Guide
    March 2009
    22,736 Posts
    Maybe exercise some empathy towards people with guns, who obviously want this
    Why is that something I should empathize with? I mean, I don't really care if you like to shoot guns or not, but I don't exactly feel joy on your behalf at this news. If it's only your hearing you were concerned about, couldn't you just use sound dampening ear plugs or headphones? It's a simple and inexpensive solution to a pretty small problem. Meanwhile, increasing the availability of suppressors has some obvious downsides as far as public safety.

While I don't necessarily believe there's going to be a crime wave of "silenced" weapons, the benefits don't outweigh the risks in my opinion.

33. Post #113
    Not another server
    Dennab
    August 2013
    1,540 Posts
    Depends on the firearm and the caliber and whether the loaded ammunition is sonic or subsonic. Some(a select few) guns actually are as silent as hollywood style.
    No they generally can't under normal circumstances. Even a .22 is fairly loud when the bullet hits something.

34. Post #114
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    18,463 Posts
    Why is that something I should empathize with? I mean, I don't really care if you like to shoot guns or not, but I don't exactly feel joy on your behalf at this news. If it's only your hearing you were concerned about, couldn't you just use sound dampening ear plugs or headphones? It's a simple and inexpensive solution to a pretty small problem. Meanwhile, increasing the availability of suppressors has some obvious downsides as far as public safety.

While I don't necessarily believe there's going to be a crime wave of "silenced" weapons, the benefits don't outweigh the risks in my opinion.
    what downsides? have you ever used a suppressor? if so then you'd know that they don't make a gun quiet, just less loud.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

35. Post #115
    Ask me about my Marvel/DC fetish
    May 2010
    26,762 Posts
    Why is that something I should empathize with? I mean, I don't really care if you like to shoot guns or not, but I don't exactly feel joy on your behalf at this news. If it's only your hearing you were concerned about, couldn't you just use sound dampening ear plugs or headphones? It's a simple and inexpensive solution to a pretty small problem.
    Because as people have noted, guns are fucking insanely loud, and earphones/plugs can only help so much.

Meanwhile, increasing the availability of suppressors has some obvious downsides as far as public safety.
    Like?

I didnt know suppressors (which iirc allow the gas from the bullet being fired to fill up a hollow metal tube, alleviating the pressure built up and dampening the noise caused by that) could silence a small metal object breaking the sound barrier.

You're aware its still loud, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

36. Post #116
    Don't Worry, I'm a Marine
    October 2005
    4,042 Posts

Take a look at my post on the previous page. Earmuffs coupled with headphones are usually just enough to prevent instant damage, but in practice do nothing for long term exposure (ie, shooting in an indoor range).

The increase in available suppressors isn't going to do much since it's vastly easier and less expensive to use a soda bottle stuffed full of wet newspaper, which is also significantly easier to dispose of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

37. Post #117
    October 2015
    2,254 Posts

The only downside to making suppressors readily avaliable is that the US govt is going to lose a marginal source of income via tax stamps.

There is absolutely no downside to public safety via suppressors. The only issue I see happening is a marginal increase in poaching.

What a suppressor can do can already be done, albeit not as well, with an empty 2 liter and some old rags. If a gang banger gave a shit about being silent, he wouldn't go to a gunshop to buy a can, hed just fill an empty beer can with rags and use that.

Anyone seeing the deregulation of suppressors as bad either has shares in the suppressor market and doesnt want to see the deregulation of them cause the market to plummit, or doesnt know what the fuck theyre talking about.

Edited:

How can you be anti gun when you self admittedly dont know anything about them? Why take a stance on an issue you know nothing about?

That would be like me being pro-brexit despite not knowing jack shit about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

38. Post #118
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    12,852 Posts
    Do they even bother threading civilian guns or are you guys just going to have to buy new guns if you can't get your current guns threaded? Will this also make it legal to strap a bottle to the end of your gun like in Max Payne 3?

39. Post #119
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    17,865 Posts
    When I first shot a gun in an indoor range with my dad's fancy noise cancelling earpro, I was still surprised by how loud guns are. It's also probably important to note that you can't just stick suppressors on any gun without a threaded barrel.

Edited:

Do they even bother threading civilian guns or are you guys just going to have to buy new guns if you can't get your current guns threaded? Will this also make it legal to strap a bottle to the end of your gun like in Max Payne 3?
    You can buy threaded barrels.

40. Post #120
    Well, what had happened was.....
    February 2009
    4,298 Posts
    You can find a gunsmith and get a rifle barrel threaded. As for some pistols like my P226, I can just buy a new barrel that drops right in and has threads.