1. Post #81
    June 2014
    6,934 Posts
    The comic gave me a few more questions... First, if the Team Fortress mercs are considered rejects and are the worst team at the Administrator's disposal, why are they still earning huge amount of money from their work as seen in previous comics?

Second, if the Engineer's family has been helping the Admininstrator for many generations, then why is the Engineer in Team Fortress instead of with some other teams? For someone with 11 PhDs that doesn't seems like a reject to me.
    They were earning obscene amounts of money from the Mann brothers. Who are idiots. iirc they haven't gotten a penny from Helen directly, we don't even know if they're getting paid for this current op.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    8,445 Posts
    The comic gave me a few more questions... First, if the Team Fortress mercs are considered rejects and are the worst team at the Administrator's disposal, why are they still earning huge amount of money from their work as seen in previous comics?

Second, if the Engineer's family has been helping the Admininstrator for many generations, then why is the Engineer in Team Fortress instead of with some other teams? For someone with 11 PhDs that doesn't seems like a reject to me.
    She probably has him there as a safety precaution. Think of it, better teams means more dangerous missions. Having Dell Conagher stuck in a gravel pit with a bunch of idiots is probably safer than throwing him out into actual life or death combat missions.

Which makes it funny because you'd have more chance surviving a life or death suicide mission than an evening with the Soldier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #83
    June 2013
    1,993 Posts
    Zhanna tenth class valve pls
    Covered in various liquids based martial arts would make for interesting gameplay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #84
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    14,160 Posts
    The TFC crew were paid well but asked questions about what & why, and swiftly disposed of Grey when they figured out they could just take everything he had. Helen says it best, they may not be the smartest lot, but they're still deadly.

5. Post #85
    December 2016
    267 Posts
    The TFC crew were paid well but asked questions about what & why, and swiftly disposed of Grey when they figured out they could just take everything he had. Helen says it best, they may not be the smartest lot, but they're still deadly.
    That's such a fucking clever callback if it was intentional, sweet Christ.

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    12,685 Posts

This is a bucket filled with blood soup and foliage.
    Dear God...
    There's more.
    No...
    I love the stupid-but-weirdly-makes-sense-altogether internal logic of the TF2 world they've made.

Edited:

That's such a fucking clever callback if it was intentional, sweet Christ.
    Speaking of clever callbacks:

I forgot so many details over the years, I should've pulled a Dr McNinja and marathoned all the prior ones before this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

7. Post #87
    December 2016
    267 Posts
    The baboon uterus stuff was an obvious setup, but it was funny. The plutonium bit-- it was so long ago that Meet the Director came out, and it was such a clever-but-throwaway line that I question if it was intentional or not. If it was, it's genius. If it wasn't, it's just a fantastic coincidence. It's like a lightning strike that runs through the entire comic series. Even going back to the WAR comic (which was like, the first serious comic?) the Administrator was adhering to her own rules in regard to what she says in MTD. So basically.. the entire thing could have been averted if Grey Mann bought some cameras and didn't meet the mercs in person like a fucking moron.

Edited:

It's like poetry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,026 Posts
    I know people have mentioned the Medic holding the baboon baby later, but a really small detail that I love and haven't seen anyone mention is Medic triggering the inductor/detonator in that last panel (which presumably leads to the arrival of said baboon). It's a tiny thing, but I love it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

9. Post #89
    January 2012
    1,061 Posts
    I'm still wondering how they are going to do that when a lot of the panels are identical with small changes in detail.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPad Safari United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Zing Zing x 1 (list)

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,652 Posts
    Didn't several people here predict Demo's blood alcohol content was what would kill the blood sucking robots?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Agree Agree x 29 (list)

11. Post #91
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    18,636 Posts
    Didn't several people here predict Demo's blood alcohol content was what would kill the blood sucking robots?
    It was overwhelmingly predicted and seemed rather obvious, the only catch was the whole fact that he had no alcohol with him, so    his body turning itself into a distillery    was what made it actually possible while being comical about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #92
    August 2016
    41 Posts
    I like WAR! comic's Soldier so much more than the new Soldier. Of course, it's probably because Soldier drank lead-poisoned water, but I wish they would remove the lead from Soldier or something in Issue #7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

13. Post #93
    February 2015
    47 Posts
    I like WAR! comic's Soldier so much more than the new Soldier. Of course, it's probably because Soldier drank lead-poisoned water, but I wish they would remove the lead from Soldier or something in Issue #7
    He's really better get going actual idiot savant on those enemy asses and finally show some tactical prowess.

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    12,685 Posts
    I'm still wondering how they are going to do that when a lot of the panels are identical with small changes in detail.
    They have CBR/PDF downloads already so they'll work off that.

15. Post #95
    January 2012
    1,061 Posts
    Using CBR/PDF files is only the beginning of the problem when attempting to make a transfer to print version.

Take this series of panels.

http://www.teamfortress.com/tf06_the...dthedead/#f=39

http://www.teamfortress.com/tf06_the...dthedead/#f=46

There's a pseudo animation that lends itself well to webcomics, but would be difficult to accomplish in print outside of using multiple plastic transparency sheets or repeating panels that look mostly identical.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    August 2013
    6,840 Posts
    I feel like the comics are just that much better when you click and a character animates slightly.

I mean don't get me wrong, if theres a physical version released I'll definitely buy it, but I think something is going to be lost in translation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    12,685 Posts
    The baboon uterus stuff was an obvious setup, but it was funny. The plutonium bit-- it was so long ago that Meet the Director came out, and it was such a clever-but-throwaway line that I question if it was intentional or not. If it was, it's genius. If it wasn't, it's just a fantastic coincidence. It's like a lightning strike that runs through the entire comic series. Even going back to the WAR comic (which was like, the first serious comic?) the Administrator was adhering to her own rules in regard to what she says in MTD. So basically.. the entire thing could have been averted if Grey Mann bought some cameras and didn't meet the mercs in person like a fucking moron.

Edited:

It's like poetry.
    Speaking of WAR!, I wonder how canon works in this thing.

The Meet the Team videos and initial comics like WAR! (which directly references Meet the Spy) work off the logic that there are RED and BLU teams of nine mercs (although, apart from Spies, we never see two of the same guy in one story).

But starting with Loose Canon there seem to be just nine mercs with no red/blue duplicates. They wear both red and blue colors but are written as the same characters (e.g. Soldier is mentioned as Merasmus' roommate).

"loose canon" is right; it's just a game I should really just relax
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    Ott
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,377 Posts
    Using CBR/PDF files is only the beginning of the problem when attempting to make a transfer to print version.

Take this series of panels.

http://www.teamfortress.com/tf06_the...dthedead/#f=39

http://www.teamfortress.com/tf06_the...dthedead/#f=46

There's a pseudo animation that lends itself well to webcomics, but would be difficult to accomplish in print outside of using multiple plastic transparency sheets or repeating panels that look mostly identical.
    Oh man I assumed they'd just layer it all on one page but transparency sheets would be awesome.

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,142 Posts
       Every character has their own afterlife according to what they think they deserve.
    Helen gets ironic punishment because she hates herself almost as much as she hates everyone else
    Medic has Hell with lawful-evil devils because he knows he's a monster but thinks he'll always get away with it
    Spy met his dead parents who told him to finish the job, because he considers himself a professional above all else
    Scout plays foosball with God because he's always upbeat and optimistic, and doesn't think he's ever actually done evil 

Yeah but medic actually got a pen   

I think that's just for the sake of the joke. I wouldn't call sniper, spy, heavy or engie ineffectual goofballs. And medic knows what he's doing even if he's a whackjob.

20. Post #100
    November 2012
    15 Posts
    Why does TFC sniper's rifle keep changing its appearance?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,126 Posts
    Speaking of WAR!, I wonder how canon works in this thing.

The Meet the Team videos and initial comics like WAR! (which directly references Meet the Spy) work off the logic that there are RED and BLU teams of nine mercs (although, apart from Spies, we never see two of the same guy in one story).

But starting with Loose Canon there seem to be just nine mercs with no red/blue duplicates. They wear both red and blue colors but are written as the same characters (e.g. Soldier is mentioned as Merasmus' roommate).

"loose canon" is right; it's just a game I should really just relax
    Haven't this been addressed a lot previously? I remember the idea being that the mercs come back to life, and remember their previous death as a "dream" ?

I could be imagining, but I vaguely remember that being mentioned in some way or another officially.

22. Post #102
       Yeah but medic actually got a pen   
    I never said they weren't real, just that they were uniquely suited to each character's self-identification.

The flaw in the theory is that Tom Jones's afterlife is [I]also[/I] playing foosball with god, which doesn't really fit.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #103
    NSF Sympathizer
    January 2012
    3,892 Posts
    One thing I didn't get when TFC Sniper was killed, what did he mean by "I'm sitting on a-" right before he died?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

24. Post #104
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    14,160 Posts
    Haven't this been addressed a lot previously? I remember the idea being that the mercs come back to life, and remember their previous death as a "dream" ?

I could be imagining, but I vaguely remember that being mentioned in some way or another officially.
    Heavy mentions it in Poker Night.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

25. Post #105
    June 2014
    6,934 Posts
       The flaw in the theory is that Tom Jones's afterlife is [I]also[/I] playing foosball with god, which doesn't really fit.   
       Like father like son.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

26. Post #106
    November 2010
    1,259 Posts
    One thing I didn't get when TFC Sniper was killed, what did he mean by "I'm sitting on a-" right before he died?
    He was most likely trying to bribe the sniper to not kill him. Like he was sitting on a pile of money
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    12,685 Posts

I'm not really talking about respawning (in any event, the comic has established that death and dismemberment is a temporary setback at best), I'm talking about the RED and BLU TF2 mercs.
    The comics have established that there is one Soldier regardless of what color clothes he is wearing:

...so is the implication that these are the same individual Soldier as well?

Maybe it's just that the colors they are represented by change but canonically we're always following the same team?

in any event

28. Post #108
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    28,854 Posts
    It would be insanely surprising if the TF2: Brotherhood of Arms mercs are one of the other teams.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #109
    August 2013
    9,533 Posts
    I'd imagine he was probably going to try and bargain his way out by offering something like a small fortune or something, probably an unimportant detail
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,142 Posts
    I'd imagine he was probably going to try and bargain his way out by offering something like a small fortune or something, probably an unimportant detail
    my first thought was a dead man's switch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    12,884 Posts
    I don't know, we're at a point where they're explaining things like Medic not healing Demoman's eye and are slowly moving into respawn territory, I think sorting out what the fuck is going on with RED and BLU fighting each other with the same 9 guys would be in order.

I mean this isn't exactly a small detail. It's pretty much the core nature of the whole key conflict.

32. Post #112
    September 2015
    660 Posts
    Regardless of what Pinkerton says, clones are already canon. Have been for a while.

https://youtu.be/36lSzUMBJnc?t=174

But since the current lore is denying that part of its own existence, I doubt we'll be seeing a proper explanation.

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    August 2013
    6,840 Posts
    90% of meet the spy is Blu spy talking about Red Spy.

I don't think the entire "there are doubles of the same person" thing will ever be explained.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

34. Post #114
    June 2010
    1,986 Posts
    Redmond and Blutarch both hired identical teams of mercenaries in the 1800's, they just repeated the mistakes over 3 generations.

35. Post #115
    July 2013
    1,039 Posts
    How has nobody pointed out that Spy is wearing a custom tailored Louis Crabbemarche jacket. Crabbemarche, if my 3 years of French class haven't failed me, means Crabwalk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 49Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 4Informative Informative x 2 (list)

36. Post #116
    September 2015
    660 Posts
    How has nobody pointed out that Spy is wearing a custom tailored Louis Crabbemarche jacket. Crabbemarche, if my 3 years of French class haven't failed me, means Crabwalk.
    i can't believe they snuck in a spycrab reference of all things
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

37. Post #117
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,963 Posts
    Crabbe doesn't translate into crab, but marche does, but that was probably the reference.

Good call!

38. Post #118
    December 2016
    427 Posts
    Hard to say who my favourite merc was in this.

Probably demoman though, the fucking eye conversation with medic is 10/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 22 (list)

39. Post #119
    January 2017
    2 Posts
    Just a reminder that TFC Engineer is TF2 Engineer's dad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    8,445 Posts
    Just a reminder that TFC Engineer is TF2 Engineer's dad
    The team has some rough news to break to Dell after this shit's all over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 23Funny Funny x 1 (list)