1. Post #81

July 2011
    1,059 Posts
    My parents have a pug. The poor thing's had a host of issues. Poor breathing is one thing, but she also had seizures early in life(They seem to have gone away). She got cancer in one eye(Didn't lose the eye, but there's some scarring on it). Weird growths on her legs too that had to be removed. She also developed allergies that she currently takes medication for because if she doesn't she'll scratch until she starts tearing skin.

And despite all that she still seems healthier than most pugs I see. My dad loves that dog, but he's said he'd never get another one.

2. Post #82
    September 2015
    179 Posts
    I hate pugs so much
    I don't hate pugs.
    I just hate their owners.
    "Haha I'm gonna upload a video of my pug without giving a flying fuck about how I'm fucking up their breed over time :)"
    Edit: I don't mean every single one of them,I mean the majority of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Poland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

3. Post #83
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    28,920 Posts
    A lot of pug owners or owners of any bracycephalic dogs are just acting out of ignorance. It's not an excuse but it's also not their intent to be purposely malicious. You don't educate with attacking.

What you do is ask them how their dog is from time to time. If they complain about an issue, help them out and do some research together. Recommend some vets.

Not every dog owner will be open to be educated on appropriate canine healthcare but for the ones who are, you can help make a difference in how they care about and for their dog.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    8,404 Posts
    any dog can be born with a "chimera" mutation that gives them random black spots. it's completely normal but they are also considered inferior

the dog makes me thing of tactical espionage
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 13 (list)

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,239 Posts

A Hideo Kojima dog
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 58Winner Winner x 2 (list)

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    8,464 Posts
    I've had a pug for about 11 years now. He's never been nowhere near as unhealthy and miserable as a lot of pugs I've seen, this one included. That being said, he's still inherited the Pug's patented breathing disabilities. Not to an extreme degree, but it's there.

In his old age, he coughs a lot when he gets worked up and often falls down due to how horribly imbalanced his body is, despite being fairly fit. It makes me sad, but he's been pretty luck in comparison to some pugs. I do wish we could just let dog breeds like these die out, it's honestly inhumane to keep breeding them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

7. Post #87
    September 2015
    179 Posts
    A lot of pug owners or owners of any bracycephalic dogs are just acting out of ignorance. It's not an excuse but it's also not their intent to be purposely malicious. You don't educate with attacking.

What you do is ask them how their dog is from time to time. If they complain about an issue, help them out and do some research together. Recommend some vets.

Not every dog owner will be open to be educated on appropriate canine healthcare but for the ones who are, you can help make a difference in how they care about and for their dog.
    Your right,looking back what I said earlier,it was a bit rude.
    Thanks for the advice!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Poland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

8. Post #88
    April 2013
    1,180 Posts
    humans are fucked up

the naked ape fucking made pugs like wtf imagine what aliens think of us

9. Post #89
    August 2012
    4,209 Posts
    humans are fucked up

But what if aliens made us?

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    11,347 Posts
    The REAL MLG breed is the Carolina Dog, basically the closest thing to the "original" dog breed you can get without making a wolf-dog. I've got one, and she's a real sweety to the other folks in the family. Too bad she's afraid of me because I remind her of her abusive previous owner.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 18 (list)

11. Post #91
    October 2015
    263 Posts
    They don't do well in hot/cold weather either. Not to mention, they're high maintenance and need their faces cleaned a lot. If they don't get cleaned, mold starts to grow in the wrinkles. It sucks.

12. Post #92
    August 2012
    327 Posts
    i think mixed breeds can look cooler than purebreds also

our family's old dog is a mix
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

13. Post #93
    Puuurple
    May 2008
    19,647 Posts
    that pika-dotted dog omg I want it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    4,363 Posts
    That is a absolutely awesome and adorable dog. (German Shep, Alaskan Malumute mix btw)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #95
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    28,191 Posts

North American Pig Pupper is the best breed.

(Actually we have no clue what Francis is)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11 (list)

16. Post #96
    January 2012
    853 Posts
    i've.. never seen a german shepard that looked like that in person before?

honestly all the ones i've seen looked more like the left one these days. not saying its not an issue but thats just weird to find out
    With working dogs, like German Shepherds, there are often two 'breeds' the show breed and the working breed. The ones that look fucked like on the right are generally show breeds, meaning they are bred for dog shows, hence why they get more and more fucked as the breed goes on - kennel clubs know jack shit about the proper healthy characteristics of a breed. When you see ones that are less fucked, its because they likely didn't come from show stock, and probably came from stock that bred working dogs, which aren't fucked because they are bred to be able to do tasks as opposed to looking a certain way.

17. Post #97
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,969 Posts

These and hyenas scare the ever living shit out of me, I have no idea why.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    28,191 Posts
    I'm actually a huge fan of muttly hounds, things that seem mish-mashed but stronk.

Case in point, Francis (when she's not being piggly)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,134 Posts
    bull terriers also used to look hella cool before someone decided to ruin them

I DESPISE their "evolution" and everyone who owns them and thinks they look nice.
    Usually owned by hoodlums who think it looks hella gangsta and who own dogs just because they can use them as assault weapons.

Edited:

i think mixed breeds can look cooler than purebreds also
    That looks cool as fuck. Like it came out of a shadowy hellscape, with his paws on fire.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    15,440 Posts
    English Mastiffs are best pure bred. They haven't changed much physically since their days as war/hunting dogs. Despite their original purpose, they're incredibly nice.

That said, you still should go for a mix, absolute pure bred mastiff can have a couple of issues.

21. Post #101
    oh shit, it really says i payed 10.00. Im so fucked. im crying. we are gonna be poor.
    April 2005
    11,011 Posts

22. Post #102
    October 2015
    468 Posts
    A Hideo Kojima dog

???
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18 (list)

23. Post #103
    October 2016
    220 Posts
    Her heart is fine, she doesn't have high blood sugar or diabetes, all of her blood work comes back fine. She's just fat and beautiful.
    Are you posting under influence?

Edited:

A Hideo Kojima dog
    A real Diamond Dog in the rough

Edited:

humans are fucked up

Maybe the aliens made us and thought it is hilarious how we are polluting and destroying the planet we live on while not being able to leave permanently.

24. Post #104
    Dennab
    November 2016
    352 Posts
    Are you posting under influence?

Edited:

A real Diamond Dog in the rough

Edited:

Maybe the aliens made us and thought it is hilarious how we are polluting and destroying the planet we live on while not being able to leave permanently.
    Reported for backseat moderating enjoy you're ban.

(User was banned for this post ("wow lern to spel, also backseat modding" - Gurant))

(User was permabanned for this post ("Extended. Alt of Hillo" - Gurant))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 24Funny Funny x 11Zing Zing x 1 (list)

25. Post #105
    October 2016
    220 Posts
    Now you made me google images for dogs.

Which made me sad because dogs seem to have it easier being photogenic than me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 6Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,530 Posts
    The REAL MLG breed is the Carolina Dog, basically the closest thing to the "original" dog breed you can get without making a wolf-dog. I've got one, and she's a real sweety to the other folks in the family. Too bad she's afraid of me because I remind her of her abusive previous owner.

There's no real way to measure what dog breed is closest to the original, and its a senseless and silly metric to make/take because we've done so much work domesticating them. We do NOT want a wolfdog-a-like animal as a pet, and thats why we spent ages domesticating dogs. Wolfdogs are neat animals, and I think they're beautiful, but being around them made me learn to respect their boundaries and wolfiness real fast.

Too bad she's afraid of me because I remind her of her abusive previous owner.
    This is a constant struggle between me and my dog, since he was severely abused by men before I rescued him

Don't even get me started on GSD's though. Or dog breeding in general. Lots and lots of shitty backyard breeders. Many people don't encounter a dog with sloped backs, but German Shepherds are still one of the least healthy dogs in genetic means. This is mainly due to how common they are, and how desirable they are. Here's an example of how quickly/harshly we are pushing the breed standard in show lines:

The most recent winner of a dog show was actually a GSD bitch with pretty severe hip issues it seemed, and it caused a big fuss. The woman who shows the dog was quite upset and denied most of the claims, but I don't buy it. Her intent may not have been malign at all when she purchased that dog, but like purchasing from a puppy mill you're just helping some bad people continue to do their shitty things. I also don't trust the word of the show vet for grading her health, osteo exams are expensive and take quite a bit of work. In fact, one of the things that makes puppies from good breeders so expensive is the amount of medical checkups they get, in particular the thorough osteopathic exam! That alone can be 1k.

Let me grab my soapbox really quick: if you can, adopt a dog from a shelter. Get it on pet insurance ASAP if you are not comfortable or ready to pay the vet costs up front: you need at least 3-4k set aside if you're not using insurance. With insurance, your monthly premium is usually about 40 bucks for a $500 deductible, 80% reimbursement past the deductible, and a 10k limit.

If you are getting a puppy, choose a good breeder and then download and read these two pdfs [1] [2] on dog training from front-to-back

I can rant considerably on dog breeding, but good god don't get me started on dog training and cultural issues around this :v

bonus: picture of my dog being a qt, video of my dog and me having a great conversation
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8 (list)

27. Post #107
    Dennab
    November 2016
    352 Posts
    Now you made me google images for dogs.

Which made me sad because dogs seem to have it easier being photogenic than me.
    My friend had GIGANTIC rottweiler. I almost shit myself when I first was introduced to the dog, then I realized he's a gentle giant and just a attention whore and you have to pet him for an hour before he let's you go.. It was hilarious watching other people come to my friends crib to a party when they didn't know about the dog, one time guy jumped out of a window because the dog wanted some petting from him

Edited:

He died at the age of 8 sadly, I remember one of my ex-friend hating the dog because he "attacked him"

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    18,966 Posts
    My friend had GIGANTIC rottweiler. I almost shit myself when I first was introduced to the dog, then I realized he's a gentle giant and just a attention whore and you have to pet him for an hour before he let's you go.. It was hilarious watching other people come to my friends crib to a party when they didn't know about the dog, one time guy jumped out of a window because the dog wanted some petting from him

Edited:

He died at the age of 8 sadly, I remember one of my ex-friend hating the dog because he "attacked him"
    Sounds just like the Rottweiler one of my friends currently has.

Don't scratch it behind it's ears or you're suddenly its newest best friend for the nest 2 hours.

And if you try to ignore it, it'll just give you the best puppy-eyes imitation a adult & lazy dog can do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

29. Post #109
    July 2014
    3,331 Posts
    Belgian shepherds are the best and pugs are fugly

My dad's dog is a tervuren and she loves carrots for some reason. We tried to train her to feed my sisters bunny carrots but instead she just eats them herself.

30. Post #110

September 2016
    50 Posts
    I love pugs. I don't have one at the moment, but in the future I intend to get one. Probably a rescued one or something, 'cause they need the most care and attention.

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    8,264 Posts
    Sometimes i am overwhelmed by how much i love dogs

I get anxious thinking about having to choose just one dog from the pound to adopt later on in life
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #112
    March 2014
    941 Posts
    I have a pug.

It's dumb, and snores.

Don't buy pugs, only adopt please. I don't think he has a big brain in that little head.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    8,072 Posts

this is a dope doggo
    still got weird big eyes and stub-snout. also they hacked its ears off

Edited:

North American Pig Pupper is the best breed.

(Actually we have no clue what Francis is)
    its a pit bull

34. Post #114
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    14,410 Posts
    Probably a rescued one or something, 'cause they need the most care and attention.
    Definitely this, please don't get one from a breeder.

Sometimes i am overwhelmed by how much i love dogs

I get anxious thinking about having to choose just one dog from the pound to adopt later on in life
    Why not two?
    Two is always better than one, not just for your own enjoyment but for the dogs as well, they won't be alone if you go anywhere and can keep eachother company
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    8,264 Posts
    Definitely this, please don't get one from a breeder.

Why not two?
    Two is always better than one, not just for your own enjoyment but for the dogs as well, they won't be alone if you go anywhere and can keep eachother company
    I get anxious thinking about having to choose just two dogs from the pound to adopt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17 (list)

36. Post #116
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,715 Posts
    most dog breeds have changed for the worse, not just pugs. a lot of this is because of people breeding for show dogs instead of working dogs
    Or in the case of regional separation, one can see the changes that cocker spaniels have undergone in America with your own eyes. It has resulted in them becoming a breed of their own despite their identical names.

That face is really nearing pug territory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #117
    October 2012
    306 Posts
    Look at it! You keep calling him a dog but anyone can tell he's clearly a wolf!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

38. Post #118
    August 2015
    98 Posts
    My sister had a showdog german shepherd (didn't have his back as low as on the pictures posted here though). The dog was really sweet and amazing with kids, but also had health problems resulting in him dying when the dog was only 3 years old. Inbreeding just makes weak dogs.

I feel bad for dogs who can never breathe and play like a normal dog, especially pugs. They looked so much better originally, now they look like they're being breeded to look like they've got down's syndrom. Also feel really bad for the Cavelier king charles spaniels.
    Poor dogs.

39. Post #119
    March 2013
    5,481 Posts
    Everyone knows the best dog is a bear anyways
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    May 2013
    1,841 Posts
    IMO the best breeds are sled dog breeds / mixes

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Agree Agree x 3 (list)