1. Post #41
    August 2012
    364 Posts
    most dog breeds have changed for the worse, not just pugs. a lot of this is because of people breeding for show dogs instead of working dogs

german shepherds

st bernards

dachshunds

mixed-breed dogs, breeds with less mutations (flat faces, dwarfism, excessively long faces, etc), and dogs from popular breeds but from working lines have much less issues.

something i found a while ago about dog breeders that kind of disgusts me is that dogs can be in almost any color, but those that don't have "breed standard" colors are considered inferior, even if they are perfectly healthy. people will insist that a dog has to be mixed breed, or that a dog is from a puppy mill or something if the dog is a non-standard color

a white lab

fawn corgi

silver lab

piebald husky

blue german shepherd

any dog can be born with a "chimera" mutation that gives them random black spots. it's completely normal but they are also considered inferior
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 33Informative Informative x 2 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    14,592 Posts
    something i found a while ago about dog breeders that kind of disgusts me is that dogs can be in almost any color, but those that don't have "breed standard" colors are considered inferior, even if they are perfectly healthy. people will insist that a dog has to be mixed breed, or that a dog is from a puppy mill or something if the dog is a non-standard color

a white lab

fawn corgi

silver lab

piebald husky

blue german shepherd

any dog can be born with a "chimera" mutation that gives them random black spots. it's completely normal but they are also considered inferior
    [/T]
    The worst part about this is that some breeders kill 'abnormal' dogs because they aren't like the rest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    12,848 Posts
    I recommend breeding a pug with a yellow lab. You end up with a yellow lab that's always small(but not tiny) without the breathing or eye problems pugs get. My ancient fat dog is one(probably) and still gets confused for a puppy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    October 2012
    1,345 Posts
    bull terriers also used to look hella cool before someone decided to ruin them

That doesn't even look like a dog, it looks more like a horribly mutated rabbit who got injected with gerbil DNA.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 50Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Puuurple
    May 2008
    19,742 Posts
    german shepherds
    i've.. never seen a german shepard that looked like that in person before?

honestly all the ones i've seen looked more like the left one these days. not saying its not an issue but thats just weird to find out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 76 (list)

6. Post #46
    May 2010
    1,060 Posts
    can you circumcise a pug, but like, a full body circumcision? get rid of some of those excess rolls
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 25 (list)

7. Post #47
    July 2012
    2,493 Posts

That dog's head is going to end up a zenomorph in a few years.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny x 62Artistic x 3Agree x 2Informative x 1Winner x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,842 Posts
    Her heart is fine, she doesn't have high blood sugar or diabetes, all of her blood work comes back fine. She's just fat and beautiful.
    Do you fuck your dog.
    You have to come clean, we're your family.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 6Funny Funny x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    12,848 Posts
    Do you fuck your dog.
    You have to come clean, we're your family.
    Define fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Optimistic x 9Useful x 2Zing x 1Disagree x 1Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Awesome Gmod Servers!
    Dennab
    October 2012
    846 Posts
    that pug reminds me of..... myself

when i try to drink vodka after that one specific night in 2014

11. Post #51
    diaoyudao shi ZHONGGUO de
    December 2007
    4,363 Posts
    snip

12. Post #52
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
    November 2010
    6,738 Posts

honestly all the ones i've seen looked more like the left one these days. not saying its not an issue but thats just weird to find out
    It depends on whether they're bred for show or bred for work. Ones bred for work still look like the left because that's the healthiest and hardiest way for a German Shepherd to be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    BIG TITLE
    November 2009
    12,241 Posts
    what the heck, these dogs look cool as fuck, i would love a blue german sheppard or a fawn corgi.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 78 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    15,420 Posts
    A guy I know owns a German Shepherd crossbreed I'm not sure what the other breed is, but he's an extremely healthy and strong dog, probably more so than a German shepherd purebreed.
    I hate pedigree breeders so much. They don't even love dogs, they're going against the very nature they pretend to love.

Edited:

Oh yeah his dog is a blue one too he's hairy as fuck but so nice. He needs a harness though, because he's so energetic. And they called him Bandit.

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    2,115 Posts
    st bernards
    Whats wrong with them?

16. Post #56
    Ask me about my Marvel/DC fetish
    May 2010
    27,150 Posts
    Whats wrong with them?
    Cankles, i think.

17. Post #57
    Postal loves money.
    February 2010
    1,050 Posts
    Obligatory
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

18. Post #58
    BOUGHT A DRAGON DILDO X
    December 2007
    1,249 Posts
    It looks like a can of paint exploded next to this dog

Looks really cool, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

19. Post #59
    January 2014
    6,157 Posts
    what the heck, these dogs look cool as fuck, i would love a blue german sheppard or a fawn corgi.
    the corgi looks like a weird rabbit

still cool though

20. Post #60
    September 2013
    3,826 Posts
    On the cat-side of things, the Persian breed also used to have a nose before it was squashed.

Edited:

Wtf they even inbreed the big cats

As if the excessive inbreeding isn’t enough, white tigers are sometimes crossed to lions to give white (pale yellow really) ligers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 23 (list)

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    March 2013
    4,462 Posts
    My relative has 2 pugs and one of them, the older, has tongue so long that it cannot retract it back into it's own mouth and you can see quite the portion of it from the top being completely dried out because of it. Also I cannot stay with them in one room because whenever I hear them breathe, it just sounds like suffering to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Czech Republic Show Events Friendly Friendly x 18 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    559 Posts
    I have asthma and fucking hate when I can't breathe properly. It's something most people take for granted. Seeing dogs suffer like that really stresses me out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

23. Post #63
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    22,111 Posts

what kind of sick person thinks that the modern terriers and pugs look better than the previous ones? wtf
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 30 (list)

24. Post #64
    September 2013
    3,826 Posts
    I can almost see what they were going for with Bull Terriers, but they just look like monsters now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    28,244 Posts
    blue german shepherd
    I want one of these now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome France Show Events Agree Agree x 61 (list)

26. Post #66
    A man chooses, a slave obeys.
    August 2011
    4,887 Posts

From what I understand German Shepards can be bred for two different reasons, work and show. The work lineage (Think police dogs) have stayed healthy while the show dogs have the problem you see above.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    NSF Sympathizer
    January 2012
    3,944 Posts
    My dad and I went to the vet with my cat one time, got stuck in the waiting room with one of these sitting right beside us.

It was 10 minutes of complete silence along with a dog sounding like it was constantly being choked to death, but judging by how the owner didn't really care this was its natural state. Really sad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    14,589 Posts

yo what the fuck, that's fucked up

this just proves that humans have shit taste tbh, because that old bull terrier looks like it could fuck shit up, unlike the mutated rabbit/dog hybrid thing on the right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 26 (list)

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    2,115 Posts

I don't think show line german shepards are common (thankfully).

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    2,226 Posts
    I always find discussions as this fascinating, and some of you who comment here seem to know quite a bit about this, so is it okay if I ask a couple of questions?

Is selective breeding necessarily a bad thing? If you had a large enough gene pool and didn't just inbreed them, and you went in to actually "optimize" the animals health and potential lifespan etc, instead of focusing on aesthetics only, wouldn't selective breeding then be a good thing?

Is it to late to save the pugs? Could one save the race over a long period of selective breeding where one mixed in a more "healthy" race of dogs? Could the pugs fix their own problems over a long enough time-span, if given the chance to breed freely among themselves?

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    8,277 Posts
    I always find discussions as this fascinating, and some of you who comment here seem to know quite a bit about this, so is it okay if I ask a couple of questions?

Is selective breeding necessarily a bad thing? If you had a large enough gene pool and didn't just inbreed them, and you went in to actually "optimize" the animals health and potential lifespan etc, instead of focusing on aesthetics only, wouldn't selective breeding then be a good thing?

Is it to late to save the pugs? Could one save the race over a long period of selective breeding where one mixed in a more "healthy" race of dogs? Could the pugs fix their own problems over a long enough time-span, if given the chance to breed freely among themselves?
    Well, if you look at 'working' breeds of dogs, who were bred to perform a job, rather than 'aesthetic' breeds, you tend to find that the average health and life expectancy of a purebreed is considerably higher. But yes, if we want to 'keep' the approximate appearance of a pug whilst making them healthier, it'd be best to breed them with similar, yet genetically diverse dogs to encourage greater variety and try to 'weed out' negative traits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    4,594 Posts
    blue german shepherd
    I never knew Shephards could get that coloration; they look like wolf-dogs at that point.

Big floofiers, I want one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 35 (list)

33. Post #73
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) rip $5
    December 2009
    11,057 Posts
    We turned this:

in to this:

why??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 46Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    29,246 Posts

Selective breeding is fine when done properly to fit a role that isn't just "this looks good!"

A post I made in a similar thread:

There are some breeders who are experimenting with healthier breed combinations. They are very few and far in between though. A lot of purebred kennel clubs vilify these breeders.

Check out the Albany Basset Hound and the Leavitt Bulldog! Those are much healthier alternatives to the existing breeds.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,093 Posts
    vanity is a very dominating quality in humans
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    May 2009
    565 Posts
    My bulldog used to have this problem, he eventually found that sleeping on his back allows him to breathe properly and get a good sleep. As cute and great as Bulldogs and other flat faced dogs are, I do believe we should stop breading them, luckily for me my Bulldog is 9 years old and never had any of the common flat faced dog problems, however he is now getting Arthritis in his back legs due to his unnatural body shape.

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,012 Posts
    From what I understand German Shepards can be bred for two different reasons, work and show. The work lineage (Think police dogs) have stayed healthy while the show dogs have the problem you see above.
    Even most working breed GSDs have hip problems, just not as pronounced. My family had one, a former police dog, whose hind legs got pretty weak as he got older, but I was relieved to find out that it apparently isn't painful (according to the vet at least).

We turned this:

in to this:

why??
    One will eat your face while the other one just kind of looks funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 10Zing Zing x 2 (list)

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    2,226 Posts
    Well, if you look at 'working' breeds of dogs, who were bred to perform a job, rather than 'aesthetic' breeds, you tend to find that the average health and life expectancy of a purebreed is considerably higher. But yes, if we want to 'keep' the approximate appearance of a pug whilst making them healthier, it'd be best to breed them with similar, yet genetically diverse dogs to encourage greater variety and try to 'weed out' negative traits.
    Selective breeding is fine when done properly to fit a role that isn't just "this looks good!"
    Sounds like people put to much pressure on selective breeding being wrong then. All it actually comes down to is a bunch of people going for the wrong traits in their animals, which probably means that it won't ever stop being a thing.

39. Post #79
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    29,246 Posts
    I don't think anyone thinks selective breeding itself is wrong, just the motivations behind it.

Selective breeding should be done to increase the longevity of a domestic animal, rather than just to create cute or aesthetically pleasing traits which do nothing but cause harm. On that note too, you CAN still breed for certain aesthetics without actively harming the health of the animal but until the "dog show standard" becomes vilified itself, things likely won't change.

It's up to the big show circuits like Eukanuba and Crufts to understand that parading what are essentially inbred mutants around that are likely going to die prematurely from health complications is not something to be celebrated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7 (list)

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,318 Posts
    blue german shepherd
    dude

that is the coolest fucking dog I've ever seen

why the hell is that considered inferior? I want ten
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 56Winner Winner x 7Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)