1. Post #1
    December 2012
    5,463 Posts
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/u...harleston.html

CHARLESTON, S.C. — Dylann S. Roof, the impenitent and inscrutable white supremacist who killed nine African-American churchgoers in a brazenly racial assault almost 19 months ago, shocking the world over the persistence of extremist hatred in dark corners of the American South, was condemned to death by a federal jury on Tuesday.

The jury of nine whites and three blacks, who last month found Mr. Roof guilty of 33 counts for the attack at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in downtown Charleston, S.C., returned their unanimous verdict after about three hours of deliberations in the penalty phase of a heart-rending and often legally confounding trial. He showed no emotion as the verdict was read.
    Good riddance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 41 (list)

2. Post #2
    /////////
    April 2011
    9,459 Posts
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/us/dyl...ial/index.html

Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof should be sentenced to death, a federal jury found Tuesday.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

3. Post #3
    October 2013
    298 Posts
    Good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

4. Post #4

July 2014
    2,293 Posts
    Too bad they don't have firing squads. That would be ironic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 19 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,579 Posts
    People shocked:

And now here come the automatic appeals. Going to take awhile before anything of substance happens.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,394 Posts
    I know some people are going to disagree with him being put to death, but I'm sorry the guy deserves it. He's fucking evil, saying he wasn't sorry and was glad to do it. Given he stated he wasn't insane and decided to defend himself, he essentially was asking to be put to death.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 27 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    29,837 Posts
    No great loss.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 13 (list)

8. Post #8
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    Dennab
    October 2009
    17,216 Posts
    And he only had to suffer through testimony of the victims to get to this point. I wish he was sentenced to life in prison just so he wouldn't be granted the satisfaction of getting what he wanted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 13 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,579 Posts
    I know some people are going to disagree with him being put to death, but I'm sorry the guy deserves it. He's fucking evil, saying he wasn't sorry and was glad to do it. Given he stated he wasn't insane and decided to defend himself, he essentially was asking to be put to death.
    He is probably thinking he is going to be a martyr, but it won't happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

10. Post #10
    October 2015
    2,025 Posts
    Wooo lets make him a martyr for his delusional cause.

Justice is served!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    July 2016
    3,216 Posts
    I'm usually against the death penalty but in cases where it's clear the person can't be reformed, I'm unsure what to think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Ireland Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

12. Post #12
    September 2012
    588 Posts
    Retrospectively, this entire case, all in all, was very pointless.

He is probably thinking he is going to be a martyr, but it won't happen.
    Even /pol/ dislikes him. Of all places.

13. Post #13
    KING
    of OVER – REACTING
    “No jokes allowed!!!”
    May 2009
    32,405 Posts
    Wooo lets make him a martyr for his delusional cause.

Justice is served!
    no matter what sentence was carried, he would be a martyr lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,040 Posts
    I don't condone this sort of behaviour
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    September 2013
    416 Posts
    All I see is taxpayer money going down the toilet. By the time he's executed we'll all have forgotten who he was, and it likely won't even make the news. He may be human trash, but now he's expensive human trash.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 15 (list)

16. Post #16
    January 2008
    1,372 Posts
    I wish he was sentenced to life in prison just so he wouldn't be granted the satisfaction of getting what he wanted.
    it's done, get over it. also it's what the victims want
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    KING
    of OVER – REACTING
    “No jokes allowed!!!”
    May 2009
    32,405 Posts
    And he only had to suffer through testimony of the victims to get to this point. I wish he was sentenced to life in prison just so he wouldn't be granted the satisfaction of getting what he wanted.
    He wanted to be spared. Could be him bullshitting though.

18. Post #18
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    13,791 Posts
    Now to wait 10 years and waste millions of dollars fighting appeals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 43 (list)

19. Post #19
    Judge, Jury, & Executioner
    September 2005
    68,214 Posts
    why should someone have to just 'get over' a human being executed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 22 (list)

20. Post #20
    January 2008
    1,372 Posts
    why should someone have to just 'get over' a SICK HUMAN BEING executed
    lol no you're right... continue to debate the ethics

21. Post #21
    /////////
    April 2011
    9,459 Posts
    Now to wait 10 years and waste millions of dollars fighting appeals.
    dylann himself has said he doesn't intend to fight it, so he'll probably get pushed through and kileld fairly quickly

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,901 Posts
    Eh' execution isn't always a good course of action, I mean it's expensive and takes a lot of time and paperwork and a lot more effort than just throwing him in a cell and sliding some gruel under the door every now and then...

Is it really wise to waste lots of taxpayer money on the execution process for this scumbag when it's far cheaper just to leave them to rot and be forgotten? Not to mention you can put them to work and offset a lot of the costs involved in housing them. It kinda just makes more economical sense this way from what I understand.

I mean sure revenge and all that but how much is revenge worth, is it right for the general public to pay for someone's revenge? It's fine for the taxpayers to pay for the judicial system to keep them safe and again, from what I can gather keeping him locked the fuck up is the cheaper option so there's that.

Honestly I'm not sold on capital punishment and I doubt I ever will regardless of circumstance.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,155 Posts
    I wish people would stop acting like causing suffering to perpetrators is a goal. This is not why punishments exist. Getting a prison sentence is supposed to be a lesson that teaches you not to do something like it again, so once you get to where you're deciding between life in prison or a death sentence, you're basically just going "Okay, we can't do anything about this one, now what?". At that point, we should be looking at what other consequences there of the options. Does more or less crime happen if we use a life sentence? What if we have death sentences? I get that he's an evil guy who 'deserves' it and it's even fine if you feel a sense of cathartic satisfaction from knowing that he gets hurt, but I just wish people wouldn't let that be such a huge talking point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

24. Post #24
    September 2005
    68,214 Posts
    lol no you're right... continue to debate the ethics
    alright cool i will: why does someone being sick justify killing them

Edited:

Eh' execution isn't always a good course of action
    killing somebody is never a good course of action. not ever. i don't care if they're a nazi and killed 100 babies. there is no justification for killing a person for their crimes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 22 (list)

25. Post #25
    March 2013
    5,554 Posts
    dylann himself has said he doesn't intend to fight it, so he'll probably get pushed through and kileld fairly quickly
    Even if you don't fight it, the process is never quick

26. Post #26
    January 2008
    1,372 Posts
    Eh' execution isn't always a good course of action, I mean it's expensive and takes a lot of time and paperwork and a lot more effort than just throwing him in a cell and sliding some gruel under the door every now and then...

Is it really wise to waste lots of taxpayer money on the execution process for this scumbag when it's far cheaper just to leave them to rot and be forgotten? Not to mention you can put them to work and offset a lot of the costs involved in housing them. It kinda just makes more economical sense this way from what I understand.

I mean sure revenge and all that but how much is revenge worth, is it right for the general public to pay for someone's revenge? It's fine for the taxpayers to pay for the judicial system to keep them safe and again, from what I can gather keeping him locked the fuck up is the cheaper option so there's that.

Honestly I'm not sold on capital punishment and I doubt I ever will regardless of circumstance.
    why are you telling us and not the jury?

just accept that fact that he's gonna die

killing somebody is never a good course of action. not ever. i don't care if they're a nazi and killed 100 babies. there is no justification for killing a person for their crimes.
    well that's like ... your opinion man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    August 2013
    5,125 Posts
    Why is taxpayer money seemingly always everyones only concern when it comes to prisoner treatment

28. Post #28
    January 2008
    1,372 Posts
    Why is taxpayer money always seemingly always everyones only concern when it comes to prisoner treatment
    they cannot resist the urge to....

DEBATE

why does someone being sick justify killing them
    i think it's safe to say if i shot your fucking child in the face you'd want me killed

but please debate that lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    6,724 Posts

I'm not going to accept the needless killing of a human being.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    January 2008
    1,372 Posts
    I'm not going to accept the needless killing of a human being.
    I'm happy for you

"needless"

your opinion lol

(User was banned for this post ("Threadshitting" - Craptasket))

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    6,724 Posts
    they cannot resist the urge to....

DEBATE

i think it's safe to say if i shot your fucking child in the face you'd want me killed

Of course I'd want you killed. Which is why I'm not a lawmaker or a judge.

32. Post #32
    January 2008
    1,372 Posts
    Of course I'd want you killed. Which is why I'm not a lawmaker or a judge.
    ofc, yet people debate lawmakers/judges on ethics
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,901 Posts

must ask what's the point of this thread if we can't discuss and share opinions on the topic?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 24 (list)

34. Post #34
    September 2005
    68,214 Posts

no i would not.
    and even if i did that doesn't mean you should be killed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    KING
    of OVER – REACTING
    “No jokes allowed!!!”
    May 2009
    32,405 Posts
    Before we start debating the ethics of this situation, I suggest everyone read this part.

That it at times seemed more important to Mr. Roof to not be depicted as mentally ill than to avoid execution prompted some in the courtroom to question whether he simply preferred to die than to serve a long life in prison. His writings and confession offered evidence on both sides of that question, wavering between glimmers of hope — even that he might someday be pardoned — and an attraction to the prospects of martyrdom. But his commitment to his cause — the restoration of white power through violent subjugation — never publicly flagged.
    He wants to martyr, and he also wants to be pardoned. No matter what you do, its going to be bad.

Kill him, and he dies as a martyr and you give him what he wants. He won't suffer, but hey it's the Death Penalty.

Spare him, and he suffers as a metaphorical martyr. You don't give him what he wants, and it's likely that he will never change, and only suffer through life feeling bad for himself.

36. Post #36
    September 2005
    68,214 Posts
    i'd hope that everywhere in the world would come out of the stone ages and abolish barbaric forms of punishment, so no, i'm not going to accept it. a bloodlust for human lives is just as disgusting regardless on what side of the law they're on
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 21 (list)

37. Post #37
    August 2013
    5,125 Posts
    Before we start debating the ethics of this situation, I suggest everyone read this part.

He wants to martyr, and he also wants to be pardoned. No matter what you do, its going to be bad.

Kill him, and he dies as a martyr and you give him what he wants. He won't suffer, but hey it's the Death Penalty.

Spare him, and he suffers as a metaphorical martyr. You don't give him what he wants, and it's likely that he will never change, and only suffer through life feeling bad for himself.
    The most obvious course of action is life in prison. I dont see how he would be martyred or ever considered for pardoning in that situation.

38. Post #38
    January 2008
    1,372 Posts
    no i would not.
    and even if i did that doesn't mean you should be killed
    that's fine Rusty100,

but people just as competent as you have decided to kill him lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,155 Posts

Human emotion should not be counted into legal decisions. It's totally fine to feel vengeful and extremely angry when evil people do evil things, but the job of the law should not ever be to try and fulfill those feelings. The law should do its best to prevent something similar from happening again. Every time you imply that the point is to serve justice, as in seeking catharsis for your anger, you contribute to a culture where finding out what type of punishment works best takes a back seat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    4,793 Posts
    good sentence.

imagine being so stupid that you think this guy deserves to live.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Netherlands Show Events Starred Starred x 10 (list)