1. Post #281
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,186 Posts
    I thought they had a petal thing that stops the time, not sure why they leave the timer to some random guy

2. Post #282
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    460 Posts
    I thought they had a petal thing that stops the time, not sure why they leave the timer to some random guy
    PowerUp audio their old audio guys did. Along with you know, actually having a clue about whats going on

3. Post #283
    I pulled my testicle out of my ballsack in my dreams
    May 2007
    9,952 Posts
    So this might be a bit late, the run ended over 24 hours ago but I fell asleep immediately after the run then spent the entire day playing arcade games and learning to play Riichi Mahjong (the standard AGDQ experience) so I didn't get to actually post anything
    I've been speedrunning since what feels like the 1800's and I'm familiar if not friendly with most of the people working GDQ events. For example, Twinge (the donation reader during my run) just a few hours before was absolutely wrecking me in Trivia Games in the board game room. That, coupled with my agreement that stuffy sterility is ruining the fraternity feel of GDQ events, means that I wanted to toe the line wherever I could reasonably get away with it as far as commentary and interaction with the host.
    While the lack of actual donations read and the silence filled instead with plugs for the sponsors was definitely disappointing, the pitchforks I've seen raised over the slight delay in figuring out which ending won the bid war seemed disproportionate at best. If they were reacting as such because they thought I was annoyed or angry with the staff, they totally misread the actual situation, which was basically just me giving a friend a hard time.
    I was not upset about the run or the incentive, but I am a little upset that a bit of dry humor during an awkward moment on the stream came off, instead of me trying to lighten the mood, as me getting legitimately angry with the staff
    Also lmao at the people who thought I got banned
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Portugal Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

4. Post #284
    turbo buttes
    June 2007
    15,645 Posts
    Whoever's in charge of the timer keeps fucking up and doesn't stop the timer when the speedrunner calls "time".

I mean, come on. That's like the single most important aspect of speedrunning. Time. You manage to fuck even that up.

It's even better when the runner clearly states "Aaaand...TIME!" and the timer keeps running for another 10 seconds.

5. Post #285
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,807 Posts
    Holy shit, this Super Metroid rotation run is amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #286
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    6,270 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #287
    turbo buttes
    June 2007
    15,645 Posts
    Very nice run!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #288
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    16,683 Posts
    Yay, right when Dark Messiah comes on my internet decides "Nah, you're not streaming any video today."

9. Post #289
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,863 Posts
    what kind of dark messiah run is this, he only kicks two people

edit: correction, three people
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #290
    July 2009
    1,864 Posts
    Well, that Super Metroid Revolution run was certainly a twist on things.

I'm really pumped for the Super Mario Sunshine race in a few hours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #291
    May 2007
    9,952 Posts
    "What's my name going to be?"
    "Yes"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #292
    turbo buttes
    June 2007
    15,645 Posts
    If only people moved around like that IRL. Out for a stroll and you see everyone messing around with revolvers while flying up in the air.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

13. Post #293
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    16,036 Posts
    the music choice right now before the System Shock 2 run is "? : ?"
    i guess they don't even check where they get their songs from, it's Lorenzen's Soil from Earthworm Jim 2

Edited:

or they're just not bothering to update it, since it's playing Yoshi's Island's Athletic Theme and still just two question marks

14. Post #294
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    16,683 Posts
    Getting really tired of these "We need to beat cancer forever" comments that come in every GDQ. Do these people not know what cancer is? It's like saying "Let's defeat infection forever!" or "Let's beat viruses for good!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #295
    July 2012
    2,175 Posts
    Getting really tired of these "We need to beat cancer forever" comments that come in every GDQ. Do these people not know what cancer is? It's like saying "Let's defeat infection forever!" or "Let's beat viruses for good!"
    People seem to think the whole prevent cancer foundation is about curing cancer, which is why also so many people are calling this a great cause...Yeah not really, I really wish they worked with a charity that actually makes a difference, instead of just printing out fliers telling you to check for cancer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #296
    KING
    of OVER – REACTING
    “No jokes allowed!!!”
    May 2009
    32,507 Posts
    I think some of this is nitpicking tbh. They're probably shilling because they have no donations coming in. It's what they do.

The communication was garbage though. Pretty sure he would've gotten the world record

17. Post #297
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    709 Posts
    Or "Let's kick cancer's butt".

Seriously, it's a cause for preventing cancer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #298
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    16,036 Posts
    apparently that System Shock 2 run didn't go so well, I missed the middle parts of it but at the end the guy said he had to restart the whole run at one point, and he was 4 seconds over estimate
    yet for some reason they let him view some of the ending up to the    NAH   

then the stream died for two minutes

19. Post #299
    September 2014
    500 Posts
    I know he went overestimate and all but I think banning the stream is going a bit too far!

20. Post #300
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,517 Posts
    This guy running Descent 2 is giving some great non-stop commentary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

21. Post #301
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,968 Posts
    Every year it feels like the event is becoming even more commercial.

I kinda hope that someone runs another event later on where the runners and the crowd are allowed to be more involved (Ex: 2013 AGDQ.)

I get the event is supposed to be for charity, but something feels off.

Maybe I should just watch ESA next time it is on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #302
    turbo buttes
    June 2007
    15,645 Posts
    This guy running Descent 2 is giving some great non-stop commentary.
    He's putting on a nice run, this game is pretty crazy at times.

23. Post #303
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    16,036 Posts

I kinda hope that someone runs another event later on where the runners and the crowd are allowed to be more involved (Ex: 2013 AGDQ.)

I get the event is supposed to be for charity, but something feels offputting.

That's because it is becoming more commercial, the people in charge are trying to make it more family-friendly and appealing to sponsors and other factors. You can't even wear certain hats without invoking a shitstorm that will get you banned from the event.

24. Post #304
    Sir Michael Cole
    September 2008
    4,348 Posts

I get the event is supposed to be for charity, but something feels offputting.

ESA is usually really fun to watch (although ESA 2016 was kinda shit, mainly because they decided to hold it inside an empty arena for some reason.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #305
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    16,683 Posts
    apparently that System Shock 2 run didn't go so well, I missed the middle parts of it but at the end the guy said he had to restart the whole run at one point, and he was 4 seconds over estimate
    yet for some reason they let him view some of the ending up to the    NAH   

then the stream died for two minutes
    His view was becoming more tilted every minute, to the point where he was looking at things at a 45 degree angle. So he reset to avoid failing the run entirely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Ireland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #306
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,807 Posts
    "Hey AGDQ, long time watcher first time donator here. This donation goes to kill the animals. Let's kill cancer and the animals! HYP!" - Anonymous
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

27. Post #307
    May 2007
    9,952 Posts
    yall being a little annoying with all the whining tbh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 14Dumb Dumb x 9Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #308
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,182 Posts
    Cubeface is my man, I don't know why I like him so much but I do.

29. Post #309
    RUDE MEANIE
    December 2011
    5,115 Posts
    Oh man, the loading times for this game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #310
    July 2012
    768 Posts
    Nothing like having to stop the run to check why is the terrible game being even more awful

Edited:

Top tier Daikatana puns here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #311
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    4,930 Posts
    "Hey AGDQ, long time watcher first time donator here. This donation goes to kill the animals. Let's kill cancer and the animals! HYP!" - Anonymous
    "Greetings from Germany! My entire family died of cancer last month and I can't wait to see my favorite games get destroyed! Save those frames, kill those animals! HYPE!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #312
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,860 Posts
    is there an gdq donation message generator that I can use I suck at this

33. Post #313
    ESA is vastly superior if you want a return to the comfy gamin' with the lads feel GDQ used to be

34. Post #314
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    19,596 Posts
    is there an gdq donation message generator that I can use I suck at this
    greetings from germany
    first time donating, long time watcher
    first time watching live
    my mom/dad/sister/brother/cousin/neighbor/dog died of cancer last month/year
    childhood ruined
    kick cancer's butt
    kill/save the animals
    bad pun
    hype

pick and choose.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Useful Useful x 2 (list)

35. Post #315
    June 2014
    1,602 Posts
    Pretty hype to see the first DOOM '16 GDQ run ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #316
    RUDE MEANIE
    December 2011
    5,115 Posts
    greetings from germany
    first time watching live
    childhood ruined
    kick cancer's butt
    kill/save the animals
    bad pun
    hype

pick and choose.
    I sometimes wonder whether the read donations are legit donations or just computer-generated phrases.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

37. Post #317
    greetings from germany
    first time watching live
    childhood ruined
    kick cancer's butt
    kill/save the animals
    bad pun
    hype

pick and choose.
    Can we get a donation with all of the above
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #318
    turbo buttes
    June 2007
    15,645 Posts
    Oh my god that commercial they just had. What the fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #319
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    32,409 Posts
    AGDQ should be banned from itself.

40. Post #320
    Cmx
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,588 Posts
    Good God that ad. What the fuck?