1. Post #1
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    7,583 Posts
    The idea of how DarkRP is to be played has changed over the years. I very strongly disagree with the current set of rules, admin to player ratio and interventionist approach servers generally have nowadays. I have tried to influence this culture through DarkRP updates, but came across a strong resistance and unwillingness to change. My question is simple:

What should I do with DarkRP?

Background
    In order, the years have introduced rules about things such as RDM, NLR, FearRP, FailRP, advertising raids and a bunch more. I've argued in the past (in the DarkRP MOTD and in this thread) that these rules go too far. They restrict gameplay far too much and foster a culture of admin micro management. Not a minute goes by in the average server without someone complaining that one of these rules have been broken. This isn't fun for admins, who barely get to actually play the fucking game. It's also not fun for players, for whom it has become impossible to play the game without people complaining that they're breaking the rules.

I have tried to influence this culture in several ways. I've posted messages to the DarkRP MOTD [1], implementing features to help administration (FSpectate in particular) and most importantly: trying to undermine the gameplay mechanics central to this horrible culture. In particular, you might remember the "/advert" command change: it used to print an advert message to chat. Now it spawns a billboard.

Resistance
    The billboard change met some fierce resistance. Within days, multiple ways of "fixing" DarkRP had popped up on Facepunch and the DarkRP forums [2], [3]. Videos about reverting it were posted, issues were posted on DarkRP's Github and threads on all sorts of forums have popped up about the change (reddit, scriptfodder, some server's forum).

It's clear. The change is controversial, and it seems that by far, most server owners don't like it.

Support
    My opinion, strangely, appears to have wide support. From people agreeing in the "what makes you mad in GMod" thread, to the reddit thread, the server forum thread linked above and even admins I talk to in game. While I've seen the full force of GMod drama about the actual billboard change, I don't think I've seen any opposition to the underlying ideas and reasoning.

The only disagreement I find is whether the cause of DarkRP having become dull is because of the changed rules and culture or because of scriptfodder. I don't think scriptfodder has had a big influence on the way DarkRP is played nowadays, since by far, most scriptfodder addons are merely cosmetic in nature. Very few (vehicles and trade NPCs being some) actually affect gameplay.

What can I do
    There are several things I can do with DarkRP:

- Abandon it and/or have someone else take over. I don't think there's any reason to believe this will lead to an improvement.
    - Accept the change of culture and respect it. Continue fixing bugs, but leave my opinion aside.
    - Keep up proselytising and trying to influence the culture, optionally by discussing such actions with e.g. Facepunch.
    - Set up my own vanilla official DarkRP server. I'd probably need help from the community and brilliant people like Joey Skylynx to develop the idea and administrate the server.
    - other - this is a very open question

There are many things that I cannot influence. Scriptfodder, shit that lives on the workshop, the age of people playing the game and all that sort of stuff. What I can do is update DarkRP and post messages to the DarkRP MOTD, which is shown in console on join. I could change the DarkRP MOTD to become more visible too. I am administrator on the DarkRP forums, which is somewhat central to server owners seeking help setting up their server. I might be able to reach a big audience there.

What do you think I should do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Winner x 29Friendly x 7Lua King x 1Informative x 1Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    October 2014
    2,266 Posts
    Im with you in the fact that FearRP, FailRP and the advertising rules are so fucking stupid. (The main server i played on had none of these, but had RDM and NLR rules but where only mainly enforced if the admin was wronged or someone went around killing the entire server)

NLR and RDM are taken too far and too seriously. I spent time as an admin and if someone came to me with no proof i'd tell them theres nothing i could do as theres too much work to determine who was in the wrong. I think a lot of your support from server admins and some of the community stems from this, but people seem insistent for there to be heavily enforced RDM and NLR rules like they're playing HL2RP or some shit. The main reason people want this to exist is for their own benefit, so if they lose their precious weapon they can go bitch to get it back.

To be honest the billboard change, while hilarious, is kinda annoying for servers that used /advert for people to communicate to everyone without using ooc.

Imo you should continue with your attempt to influence the culture, but discuss some "major" changes like the billboard stuff with FP or whoever.

In addition I wouldnt be against a "Vanilla" Darkrp server and it would potentially bring me back to seriously play on a server instead of abusing various exploits to have a couple laughs because server owners grab a couple of leaked addon and have no idea what they're doing.

If you want any help/support with it hit me up

Edit:

Another annoyance I'm currently finding with DarkRP is the fact that every server has to have 30 unique jobs + another 20 that someones paid for where they can choose the weapons to be able to fly about shooting people. Leave it open for discussion but there should be a default feature limiting the amount of jobs because I dont want to press f4 and scroll through 50 jobs to find whatever the gangster has been renamed to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

3. Post #3
    January 2012
    158 Posts
    I am very glad that you think about the DarkRP the same way as I do.
    It has changed so much that it's now something more commercial than like it used to be: something great and funny.
    I really liked how it was before, vanilla and something great to play. There was no leaks, no paid content or anything. We used to enjoy something simple and vanilla.

#MAKEDARKRPGREATAGAIN

4. Post #4

November 2014
    6 Posts
    Same as TheMafieuur, i would be so happy if there would be like, one big vanilla darkrp just like how it used to be: fun, not much rules and if there could be one in french too it would be so cool

#MAKEDARKRPGREATAGAIN

5. Post #5
    March 2015
    6 Posts
    Similar to the above opinions (and in this case as a super-admin from the community Jelman mentions) FearRP and FailRP have reached beyond moronic levels, something our community didn't have but even then lead to many players sitting bitching at admins continually saying "x didn't drop money when I threatened him *crycrycry*, he/she needs to be banned/kicked!" and the other player claiming they were RDM'd because they didn't have a weapon.

Alongside this you had people straight up using NLR and RDM to bait players then crying admin rather than actually trying to play the game properly or build a base in a way that promoted actually having fun in the game rather than sitting in the corner being a printer farming fanny pack. That and things like advertising raids, what the fuck is that about?! Do robbers walk up to shops in the high street IRL and shout "I'M GOING TO ROB YOU NOW", I think not... Like you said admins now spend more time babysitting people than they do playing and that takes all the fun out of the game-mode.

I seem to recall having a conversation with you on teamspeak a while back about this not long after your most recent April fools pranks (still think that was hilarious) and the general conclusion being; no matter how much you try to set a decent standard on roleplay and rules etc there are simply too many players of DarkRP are either giant minges or have the mental age of the average 11 year old for it to have a significant influence overall.

What do I think this means for you and DarkRP? As Jelman mentioned some changes like the /advert change possibly need to be communicated a little better with the community, culturally I'd say continue to influence it where you can to try and stop some of the fucking lunacy that's happening but I wouldn't put too much hope in it having a great effect.

As for a vanilla Darkrp server- I'd potentially see it doing well and actually being pretty fun.

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    January 2014
    290 Posts
    Privatize DarkRP.

Easy money, less crappy servers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Funny x 12Dumb x 2Agree x 1Optimistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    January 2014
    1,717 Posts
    I completely agree with this. The point to where most of DarkRP servers have come to the point of making them very big "pay to win" servers and how dumb sometimes the rules are, we need to change this or DarkRP will end worse than it is now. For example, i've stopped playing DarkRP a long time ago because of all of this dumb rules, and because good servers that have rules as FPtje is saying, are mostly empty because of the lack of people that think rules should be like this because of little kids playing DarkRP. And also because as this stupid rules (RDM, NLR, etc etc) have gotten to far, i even remember being admin on one of this servers that had this rules, that every fucking minute a kid came crying over to me that they've been killed without a reason. I ended up stopping helping the little kids and helping reasonable people that only reported people as they had to. But i ended up leaving by myself because of how shitty some part of this community is.

But, i dont agree with the thing that making a DarkRP server is a bad idea. I actually think its a good idea, because only people like us would join, and therefore it would be the... "Pure" part of the community that joined this server, and the people that loved the RDM and NLR rules as i call them, would eventually finish leaving because they dont like this type of servers. I would even play this server.

Mostly as i was saying, the servers that have this rules are mostly filled up with little kids that mainly want the attention of the admins all the time just because, someone broke a little rule, and when they do break a rule they end up lying massively to "save" themselves from being banned as another user would have ended.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Spain Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #8

January 2012
    50 Posts
    I would say that a very large majority of Facepunch users dislike the thought of DarkRP, but it's not your fault and I don't think you can do too much to change how it plays out. There are a lot of other sources out there that influence how DarkRP is played.

A lot of owners are at fault because of trying to generate revenue off their server by offering things that make the server pay to win. While also stuffing their server with the same generic content that every other server has and praying that some huge youtuber is going to come and and troll them so they gain players for the next 5 days. Also spamming F5 on scriptfodder to add in the next script that pops up because no server will have it for the next 30 minutes (which is fine, all power to the people making money out there)

A lot of youtubers are at fault since a solid amount of videos are about how to troll a server, trolling a server, crashing a server, getting banned from a server. Which in turn gets an influx of players on the targeted server to do exactly what they did.

A lot of players are at fault for liking everything that was said above. If player's hated how DarkRP is played today, it would be a lot less popular.

People love calling for admins because someone just hit them for 1 damage. People love being an admin to abuse their powers because they have that power to do so. Server owners like to take 'donations' to help fund their server costs and to also pocket the rest. People just like chaos in general.

Just like you said, your billboard change was reverted by a large sum of people because they could no longer advert mug / raid / heist / ect. I think if you made any change that influences how the game should be played, it will just be reverted again quickly.

Personally, I don't think you can do much in changing how DarkRP is played by just changing the gamemode. Every new server owner just follows what everyone else is doing because it works. If you wanted to change how the gamemode was played, I think you would need to have a lot of larger servers comply with changing their rulesets (and possibly changing their content) in order change it back to what older DarkRP was.

Too many kids play this game / gamemode. Changing the core back to what it was will be very difficult since the majority of the playerbase is very immature. No server owner has to be innovate anymore, there is more than enough content on the web for them to become one of the top servers without thinking too hard and the worse part is that the people playing on these servers love it.

9. Post #9
    I love doge and other memes, please post them on my profile!!!
    June 2012
    10,367 Posts
    Accidentally quoted the whole OP, but whats your opinion on those reskinned DRPs? Slave RP, Millitary RP, Meth RP, etc did any of them stand out to you? The vanilla server idea sounds like a good idea, theres only like 1-3 vanilla servers, and only one of those 3 are active

10. Post #10
    Dennab
    January 2017
    1 Posts
    stop updating it

(User was permabanned for this post ("Alt account of benbb" - Hezzy))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,903 Posts
    Make lightrp great again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    World of Vagax
    December 2008
    27,442 Posts
    Branch existing DarkRP as DarkRP Legacy and create a new branch that would follow your said rules and vision of DarkRP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 13Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Noi
    Purrr ~
    February 2010
    2,159 Posts
    I'm actually very sick of rules. Most of the rules come out because DarkRP is derived from sandbox, which allows players to abuse greatly.

No, propkilling is not a fun feature, it's an effortless way to abuse the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    March 2015
    903 Posts
    Remove ooc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    June 2014
    1,201 Posts
    The only reason the current sort of DarkRP is popular is because that's what the kids want to play.
    They seem to feel enjoyment out of power tripping, calling admins whenever they feel something is "unfair", etc.

If you continue trying to influence this culture through changes like the "/advert" billboard, you will only run into resistance from people who enjoy the status quo.
    (However, I did get great enjoyment at the confusion and chaos resulting from the billboard change).

The only way to change the status quo for DarkRP is to expose the players to what you believe would be a "more fun" way to play DarkRP, not by trying to black-box influence through the MOTD or gameplay changes.
    If they find that they get more enjoyment out RP that isn't micro-managed, then they will want to play that more than be in the current culture.

Thus, I feel like the best course of action is to stop trying to influence the culture in the main repo (just fixing bugs and adding neutral features to DarkRP), and potentially running a custom server.
    The problem with a custom server ran by you is that it would very easily become cliquey, with Facepunch users being "regulars" and randoms feeling both out of place and lower in stature.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    June 2016
    6 Posts
    Actually I would play vanilla DarkRP server. Seems fun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

17. Post #17
    June 2014
    1,201 Posts
    I haven't played DarkRP in a long time, and when I did play I was hardly "into it", but something I can see as a problem is the lack of interaction between players; I often saw some people splitting into groups or whatever and raiding police stations, but that was the extent of player interaction.
    The rival mob boss idea sounds great, but it seems like the factions never actually wanted to interact with each other aside from team-deathmatch-esque gameplay.

Large scale server events might help with this. I've seen existing "event" addons like the purge, CTF, whatever, but I feel like in order for the events to be truly successful they should be player-driven.
    It appears that the mayor job should be a catalyst in this sort of thing, but I doubt that currently happens.

Just throwing ideas out here, but something that might work is making the mayor less of a "politician" and more of a "dungeon master".
    In tabletop RP games and probably LARPing as well, there is a "dungeon master" with the power to determine what is going on in the game world and what choices the players should make.

If there was a player or admin with the ability to say, trigger a power outage in which all lights and money printers stop working, then spawn some zombies in the center of rp_downtown, I can see players having a better chance to meaningfully interact.

18. Post #18
    August 2014
    358 Posts
    As many others, I agree. The rules restrict gameplay, and prevents DarkRP from being what (at least I believe) it is about - non-serious light roleplay.

It's no secret that I made one of the first modules that changed the adverts back from billboards to chat messages. I did like the idea of the billboards, but not as a replacement for the old advert system.

The idea that people should advert their criminal doings is ridiculous. Working for one community specifically, we made a system to let admins know who, when and why people were raiding/stealing etc. but without letting the players know, this worked great, as players couldn't complain about raiding, as the administrators had documentation.

FailRP and FearRP are also terrible rules, as they are very subjective in nature, and can be seen from different perspectives. Such rules (I think) should be for the ambitious serious roleplaying server.

RDM and NLR are (as Jelman put it) taken too far. I once (together with beforementioned community) tried to remove these rules completely, and leaving the murder of someone up to the police force - just like in real life. With an active police force, this actually worked out rather fine.

Another problem that became apparent in our server (and also many other servers) was how easy it is to obtain weapons. We also remedied this on our server by making the gundealing process longer, without making it boring.

There are many things that can be done without ruining the DarkRP spirit, without making scriptfodder addons useless and without making it boring. Ultimately, the community I worked with died out. Not due to a loss of interest, but due to the owner leaving suddenly. I doubt the regular DarkRP players would enjoy the server we had hoped to one day make (one that would follow the teachings of the great FPtje), and the people who would enjoy it, probably wouldn't be able to find it in the overwhelming storm of terrible pay-to-win servers.

DarkRP is an amazing gamemode that can act independently, but also as an amazing RP base gamemode. I would hate to see the ideals and thoughts you have for the gamemode be overruled by a new caretaker of the gamemode. I don't have a solution. People are different, and want different things (except for money), so a single solution probably doesn't exist.

I would hate to see DarkRP die out.

Sorry for the long-ass post.

- FP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    June 2014
    1,201 Posts
    Branch existing DarkRP as DarkRP Legacy and create a new branch that would follow your said rules and vision of DarkRP
    Do you think server owners would run the new branch?

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    738 Posts
    I always considered that the physgun/gravity gun shouldnt exist there. I would find it cool and amusing if two or more people had to lift heavy objects so one can not get his furniture that easily to his place and even avoid prop killing in most cases.

The other thing about RP is that most of the time people probably just look for a way to have fun by doing the opposite of what the admins expect.

And another thing I dislike about most of the servers that they just use the same map over and over again.

21. Post #21
    June 2014
    1,201 Posts
    stop updating it
    - Posts from Windows 7 running Chrome in the UK
    - Opinion against DarkRP
    - Fresh account made only to post said opinion
    - Avatar is "Free the Teapots" - suspiciously sounds like a pro-propkilling phrase

Serverwatch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17 (list)

22. Post #22
    Not another server
    August 2013
    1,436 Posts
    You can't influence these changes when the player base doesn't want them. In my community we've removed / never had a good chunk of the rules and issues that are typically criticized. Years ago when we had few players people would see the smallest thing, say it's dumb and leave. Now that we have one of the most populated communities in the game it still took us months to remove a trivial rule like NLR, people still join and advert raid despite us never having a rule requiring it. It's the player base and it may be terminal. Embrace the good aspects of it or move on because change is a long uphill battle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    World of Vagax
    December 2008
    27,442 Posts
    Do you think server owners would run the new branch?
    Yes because the old one would stop being updated, and as far as i know no one is forced into changing anything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    January 2014
    530 Posts
    One thing I really hate about DarkRP is how you have to advert raid/mug (which is what you mentioned in the thread), it's really dumb and I see no reason whatsoever to advert. You really shouldn't abandon this; some of the points you make are true, but I also feel like the rules you're talking about are necessary. There is definitely room for improvement, but the shit thing about the DarkRP community is that people are so used to how everything is now that they don't like to see change.

25. Post #25
    Ott
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,346 Posts
    One thing I really hate about DarkRP is how you have to advert raid/mug (which is what you mentioned in the thread), it's really dumb and I see no reason whatsoever to advert. You really shouldn't abandon this; some of the points you make are true, but I also feel like the rules you're talking about are necessary. There is definitely room for improvement, but the shit thing about the DarkRP community is that people are so used to how everything is now that they don't like to see change.
    It's so that there's logs for admins to go over during the inevitable sit afterwards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    December 2016
    42 Posts
    - Posts from Windows 7 running Chrome in the UK
    - Opinion against DarkRP
    - Fresh account made only to post said opinion
    - Avatar is "Free the Teapots" - suspiciously sounds like a pro-propkilling phrase

Serverwatch.
    You'd be surprised at how much serverwatch love DarkRP.

27. Post #27
    October 2014
    2,266 Posts
    It's so that there's logs for admins to go over during the inevitable sit afterwards.
    Which leads into a further bitchfight with the local PD because they "just happened to be walking by" the site of the raid and arrested the "/advert raid" people

28. Post #28
    January 2014
    530 Posts
    Honestly, thinking about that now, it would be cool if someone just made an addon that logs use of the lockpick on entities.

Example: [timestamp] LtExcalibur used lockpick on entityname.

Admins can just go look at that
    Seriously though, if a server owner just allowed raids to happen without having to advert and someone added lockpick logging, your problem would be solved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    March 2015
    903 Posts
    DarkRP is now played more like rust than actual roleplay, as you build a base and print money till you have more money to raid other bases to print more money.
    The thing that makes rust fun is the wipes and base building. But no popular servers that I know of wipe their money on a regular basis to keep the gameplay fresh and more roleplay oriented, This is because most of them are run to be money making machines rather than an actually fun to play server.
    This is all based on actual popular servers though, as no one likes playing on small servers with 120 player-specific jobs with overpowered weapons.

The main point is that DarkRP is no longer oriented around roleplay, but rather around raiding and printing money (As seen from the massive backlash around the billboard update, as most cancer servers use advert for logs and in-character allplayer chat)

And that donation "perks" or "rewards" have ruined the gamemode and pretty much every single server that exists. As they are all Pay to win.
    I really wish that a normal server with no donation perks can get popular, but that attracts none of the popular player base that consists of 12 year olds that want every unfair advantage they can get 

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    January 2014
    530 Posts
    DarkRP is now played more like rust than actual roleplay, as you build a base and print money till you have more money to raid other bases to print more money.
    The thing that makes rust fun is the wipes and base building. But no popular servers that I know of wipe their money on a regular basis to keep the gameplay fresh and more roleplay oriented, This is because most of them are run to be money making machines rather than an actually fun to play server.
    This is all based on actual popular servers though, as no one likes playing on small servers with 120 player-specific jobs with overpowered weapons.

The main point is that DarkRP is no longer oriented around roleplay, but rather around raiding and printing money (As seen from the massive backlash around the billboard update, as most cancer servers use advert for logs and in-character allplayer chat)

And that donation "perks" or "rewards" have ruined the gamemode and pretty much every single server that exists. As they are all Pay to win.
    I really wish that a normal server with no donation perks can get popular, but that attracts none of the popular player base that consists of 12 year olds that want every unfair advantage they can get 

This is something I might actually consider myself. I agree with you on how DarkRP is played more like Rust, I never thought about it like that. Bi-weekly/weekly wipes would be cool, I feel like it would encourage roleplay, but players would never join a server like that because like I mentioned in my post earlier, players do not like change. They    for some reason    enjoy DarkRP the way it is now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Not another server
    August 2013
    1,436 Posts
    Honestly, thinking about that now, it would be cool if someone just made an addon that logs use of the lockpick on entities.

Example: [timestamp] LtExcalibur used lockpick on entityname.

Admins can just go look at that
    Seriously though, if a server owner just allowed raids to happen without having to advert and someone added lockpick logging, your problem would be solved.

People still cry admin. So back to my point, it's a player base issue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    January 2014
    530 Posts

People still cry admin. So back to my point, it's a player base issue.
    Is adverting a must do thing on your server or do people ignore the fact that you don't have to advert and still complain?

33. Post #33
    January 2013
    6,393 Posts
    Ultimately DarkRP should be, and is a creation of your desires. If you want it to be more serious, you have a right. If you want it to be less serious, again, you have a right.

So going off of what Darth-Veger said: Create a Branch and call it something like DarkRP-Legacy, and create it how you want. Stop pushing major updates to the original all together, or only push small bug/exploit fixes. Focus on DarkRP legacy, and I'm sure it would take off.

This is your creation, don't let the children bully you into creating something you hate looking at.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    net.WriteEntity(LocalPlayer())
    May 2013
    549 Posts
    Purposefully "break" certain features and then release your own fix on scriptfodder
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 12Lua Helper Lua Helper x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    TFA
    March 2015
    680 Posts
    This is your creation, don't let the children bully you into creating something you hate looking at.
    As someone who's been a total pushover in the past, take this advice. Keep your work truly yours; if someone makes a suggestion you like, that's great, but never feel forced.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #36

October 2016
    44 Posts
    The community makes it shitty.
    Generally vanilla DarkRP is fun, but when owners with almost no experience copy & paste addons in the addons-folder and breaking nearly everything that was or is fun, then there is nothing left to save.
    I know more popular servers which are fixing bugs with making rules, than servers which actually fix bugs.
    Returning in rules like FearRP, Battlearrest etc.

37. Post #37
    January 2013
    6,393 Posts
    The community makes it shitty.
    Generally vanilla DarkRP is fun, but when owners with almost no experience copy & paste addons in the addons-folder and breaking nearly everything that was or is fun, then there is nothing left to save.
    I know more popular servers which are fixing bugs with making rules, than servers which actually fix bugs.
    Returning in rules like FearRP, Battlearrest etc.
    It's more or less the fact that everyone just sits and does nothing in it too. Anything remotely fun is immediately snuffed out, even if it's between friends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member

July 2010
    2,194 Posts
    The problem is the culture of players don't want to RP. it's not treated like a roleplaying gamemode anymore, kids like the feeling of watching the number on their wallets go up and want to deathmatch.

I pray for the day where me and my friends can find a good relaxed darkRP server where people can have a bit of lighthearted fun roleplaying, some of my fondest gaming memories are when my group of friends owned a darkRP server and we'd do stupid RP-y stuff like start a boxing tournament with the fists SWEP and reward the winner with cash, or the hobo that used to play a harmonica into his microphone to earn some cash. We've tried at least three times since 2012 to do it again but people just don't want to play something that isn't deathmatch with cash.

If anyone knows of a darkrp server that doesn't have cars, ridiculous weapon packs or a thousand ways that making money is emphasized over a bit of fun light RP please let me know, me and my friends would sink a huge amount of time into it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    October 2012
    201 Posts
    What about invite only vanilla DarkRP server?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Ott
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,346 Posts
    The problem is the culture of players don't want to RP. it's not treated like a roleplaying gamemode anymore, kids like the feeling of watching the number on their wallets go up and want to deathmatch.

I pray for the day where me and my friends can find a good relaxed darkRP server where people can have a bit of lighthearted fun roleplaying, some of my fondest gaming memories are when my group of friends owned a darkRP server and we'd do stupid RP-y stuff like start a boxing tournament with the fists SWEP and reward the winner with cash, or the hobo that used to play a harmonica into his microphone to earn some cash. We've tried at least three times since 2012 to do it again but people just don't want to play something that isn't deathmatch with cash.

If anyone knows of a darkrp server that doesn't have cars, ridiculous weapon packs or a thousand ways that making money is emphasized over a bit of fun light RP please let me know, me and my friends would sink a huge amount of time into it.
    I don't know. I tend to just build stuff in DarkRP servers. My ideal server has factions that can openly fight each other and the only RP-related rule is "no revenge kills".