1. Post #1
    Terminal Velocity
    April 2011
    3,162 Posts

Okay, what is this?
    I'm hosting a Facepunch Pokemon tournament. Bracket elimination. Mostly for fun.

How will this work? What if I don't own a Pokemon game?
    The tournament will be utilizing two websites:
    Pokemon Showdown - A free, online Pokemon battle simulator with multiplayer support. Requires no Pokemon game to play.
    Challonge - A free online tournament bracket generator.

What rules are in place?
    We'll be playing under the 'OU Pokebank' ruleset, which means:
    All generations (1 - 7) are considered legal and fair game.
    Several Pokemon are banned, that list mostly consisting of overpowered legendaries and megas.
    The rest of the rules mostly consist of smaller things, such as a maximum of one sleep-statused Pokemon per team. They can be read here.
    All participants must have at least fifty posts.
    All participants must have been on Facepunch for at least three months.

When / Where?
    The group will be meeting on Tuesday, January 3rd, at 11:00 PM GMT.
    All attendees wishing to participate should be on our Discord channel.

What advice do you have for contestants?
    Try to perfect your team before the tournament. Use it against strangers, see what works and what doesn't.
    A little known fact: Pokemon attacking with a move that matches their type will get a 1.5x damage increase with that attack. Use this to your advantage.
    The ingame chat commands '/weak' and '/data' can help you analyze your opponent's pokemon, alongside their movesets.

Okay, I've read this far, now what's the prize?
    The prize for winning the Facepunch Pokemon tournament is, for the first place winner, is a copy of what I personally consider to be the best game of all time, alongside Don't Starve, which has a 96% positive rating on Steam.

Best of luck, trainers!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

2. Post #2
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    18,944 Posts
    I don't know shit dick about optimizing Pokemon moves but this sounds like fun.

3. Post #3
    Terminal Velocity
    April 2011
    3,162 Posts
    We'd love to have you! Come and join the Discord: https://discord.gg/sTMcNrD

4. Post #4
    November 2013
    82 Posts
    Awesome idea! I would check Smogon to get an idea of the metagame. Feel free to deviate from the meta for your own team, but you should be familiar enough with the meta that you can infer information based on your opponent's actions. Pokemon is very heavily a prediction based game. You don't have to know everything, just be familiar with what types of roles each pokemon may serve on a team. Pokemon Showdown will give you a range of possible stats to help you with this assesment.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,229 Posts

Edited:

heres sun moon banlist for ou

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/3611...on-ou-banlist/

6. Post #6
    September 2013
    1,615 Posts
    I'm in.

Prepare yourselves.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Terminal Velocity
    April 2011
    3,162 Posts
    If you use the Pokemon Showdown teambuilder, it should alert you if your team breaks Pokebank OU rules.

8. Post #8
    March 2013
    5,834 Posts
    This sounds fun. Is it going to be singles or doubles?

9. Post #9
    November 2013
    82 Posts
    This sounds fun. Is it going to be singles or doubles?
    Definitely singles. Wouldn't mind doing doubles in brackets w/o prize support every once in a while if it catches on.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,272 Posts
    Me also this same post.

Can a team be all Ditto?

Edited:

Wait no that's my secret strat you're not supposed to see that.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,964 Posts
    Me also this same post.

Can a team be all Ditto?

Edited:

Wait no that's my secret strat you're not supposed to see that.
    OU has species clause so no.

12. Post #12
    Terminal Velocity
    April 2011
    3,162 Posts
    OU has species clause so no.
    A real shame, honestly. I'd love to have a bunch of choice-banded golems armed to explode.