1. Post #3521
    May 2015
    103 Posts
    I played some of Heretic and just never quite got into the gameplay. But from what I have played, the maps are pretty good. Does anyone know if the Heretic maps have been repurposed to be used in DOOM instead? I have seen some mods to play with doom weapons in Heretic, but no complete conversions of enemy placement and textures.

If it hasn't been done, I might make a project out of a DOOM conversion of Heretic's maps sometime.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events

2. Post #3522
    January 2010
    1,717 Posts
    More GS2 stuff!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Italy Show Events Winner Winner x 13 (list)

3. Post #3523
    September 2012
    745 Posts
    So, which episode should I replace?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events

4. Post #3524
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    28,792 Posts
    Anybody else feel like runes sorta ruin the challenge of the game? I combined Equipment Power (for siphon grenades) and Rich get Richer, and the game became just ridiculously easy on Ultra-Violence. I practically always had max armor and could just spam siege mode on the Gauss cannon with impunity, neutering every challenge the game threw at me. The final level wound up being one of the easiest.

I'd almost go so far as to say don't use Rich get Richer at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #3525
    November 2012
    183 Posts
    Anybody else feel like runes sorta ruin the challenge of the game? I combined Equipment Power (for siphon grenades) and Rich get Richer, and the game became just ridiculously easy on Ultra-Violence. I practically always had max armor and could just spam siege mode on the Gauss cannon with impunity, neutering every challenge the game threw at me. The final level wound up being one of the easiest.

I'd almost go so far as to say don't use Rich get Richer at all.
    i started feeling the same way, so i ended up only using the glory kill runes

ended up being even more fun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events

6. Post #3526
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    17,967 Posts
    berserk + extended glory kill range + faster glory kill animations = fun for everyone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

7. Post #3527
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    28,792 Posts
    Also, I straight up can't live without In-Flight Mobility. That should be part of the base game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Zing Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #3528
    October 2014
    1,277 Posts
    Also, I straight up can't live without In-Flight Mobility. That should be part of the base game.
    Currently replaying the game on Nightmare and 80% of the time I fuck up is because of the lack of air control. It's literally as much of a necessity for me as being able to move at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Brunei Darussalam Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #3529
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    13,910 Posts
    A No Runes (or maybe just One Rune) run could be a popular challenge run if the community would like to get behind it. I mean, people already have done Pistol-Only runs so nothing's impossible.

On an unrelated note, how is the GOG.com version of Doom 2 and such out of curiousity?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #3530
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    28,792 Posts
    A No Runes (or maybe just One Rune) run could be a popular challenge run if the community would like to get behind it. I mean, people already have done Pistol-Only runs so nothing's impossible.

On an unrelated note, how is the GOG.com version of Doom 2 and such out of curiousity?
    Identical to the Steam versions, I believe. They come with slightly different versions of DOSBox but I believe the game files are the same, at least for the DOOM games.

Edited:

If I'm usually an Ultra-Violence player in Doom, which difficulty should I play Marathon on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #3531
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    3,758 Posts
    i feel like Wolfenstein is rapidly becoming better satire than gta
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #3532
    September 2012
    745 Posts
    Identical to the Steam versions, I believe. They come with slightly different versions of DOSBox but I believe the game files are the same, at least for the DOOM games.

Edited:

If I'm usually an Ultra-Violence player in Doom, which difficulty should I play Marathon on?
    probably not marathon's equivilent of UV as it's mechanically diffrent, same as blood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events

13. Post #3533
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    13,910 Posts
    GTA Satire

Something popular > Change its name into something sounding like penis > Hilarity

Wolfenstein has unintentionally become satire with truth becoming stranger than fiction.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14Disagree Disagree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #3534
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    7,328 Posts
    That's not a very high bar to begin with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

15. Post #3535
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,839 Posts

Edited:

This may come in handy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

16. Post #3536
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,427 Posts
    GTA Satire

Something popular > Change its name into something sounding like penis > Hilarity
    not really. unless you're talking about just the billboards and company names. then sure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #3537
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    13,910 Posts
    not really. unless you're talking about just the billboards and company names. then sure.
    ...Yeah I am, pretty much. I bought GTA for the online. And I go on the online to BMX about the city.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #3538
    Resident IFAP Phantas- magor- iologist
    July 2010
    9,249 Posts
    ...Yeah I am, pretty much. I bought GTA for the online. And I go on the online to BMX about the city.
    GTA (the stories) are always satire on American culture. You don't really get that from just playing Online.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events

19. Post #3539
    March 2010
    1,936 Posts
    GTA's "satire" is mostly about making fun of anybody and anything that has a strong opinion - a lot like South Park
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 11Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

20. Post #3540
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,172 Posts

Yes, it breaks SP guns (most notably the Pistol,Chainsaw and Rocket Launcher, Drone Upgrade anims and a few first pickup anims also doesn't work and firing the upgraded guns (So far only the Shotgun i've seen) doesn't work either, but hey, that's what give is there for, there's also an issue where you can't fire guns after getting the upgrade from the bot but, executing a climb fixes that, wait for the HUD to be redrawn before doing that to prevent broken secondaries, the HUD elements for the weapons also doesn't draw (Applies only on Zoom and only of the Gauss, Vortex and HAR) ), but nothing game-breaking (unless you fire Hellshot's secondary at an imp, then the game disconnects you to Menu) happens.

Works with all Snapmap guns, and the MP (PvP) guns (however, they are really underpowered)

EDIT:Some more guns

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 New Opera Brazil Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

21. Post #3541
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,316 Posts
    GTA Satire

Wolfenstein has unintentionally become satire with truth becoming stranger than fiction.

I legitimately read the Q as a D the first time i saw one of these on the highway and thought GTA
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #3542

February 2011
    45 Posts
    GTA's "satire" is mostly about making fun of anybody and anything that has a strong opinion - a lot like South Park
    GTA Satire is "everything sucks." People in cities (Los Santos, Liberty) are hipsters or yuppies or whatever, and people out of them are hicks. Expensive cars are death trap small dick compensators. Cheap cars are cheap pieces of shit. Popular culture is dumb. Higher culture is snooty. I've been listening to Non Stop Pop mostly lately because DJ Cara might be the only hint of positivity in the whole fucking game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Zing Zing x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #3543
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    13,910 Posts
    GTA Satire is "everything sucks." People in cities (Los Santos, Liberty) are hipsters or yuppies or whatever, and people out of them are hicks. Expensive cars are death trap small dick compensators. Cheap cars are cheap pieces of shit. Popular culture is dumb. Higher culture is snooty. I've been listening to Non Stop Pop mostly lately because DJ Cara might be the only hint of positivity in the whole fucking game
    What about Kenny "Danger Zone" Loggins?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #3544

November 2014
    94 Posts
    I played some of Heretic and just never quite got into the gameplay. But from what I have played, the maps are pretty good. Does anyone know if the Heretic maps have been repurposed to be used in DOOM instead? I have seen some mods to play with doom weapons in Heretic, but no complete conversions of enemy placement and textures.

If it hasn't been done, I might make a project out of a DOOM conversion of Heretic's maps sometime.
    The closest equivalent has been Herian, which isn't quite that because of original levels. But it's got the sprites and textures, filtered through wonderful texture paletting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #3545
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,316 Posts
    GTA is clearly deriving its humor from the same british well that spawned monty python, in which everything, even the mundain daily stuff is cranked up to 11.

go to a gun store, buy a bazooka. liberals are baby eating, orgy throwing, snoody elites, conservatives are all right wing nutjobs and fascists, druggies are all rediculous stereotypes, police are exceptionally trigger happy.shitbox cars are shitboxes, tanks are easily obtainable, and blind men insist on using guns and driving cars

its satire but its clearly strongly influenced by the british humor where you can have hitler run for a council seat and people don't bat an eye, or pet shops sell dead parrots and try to rip everybody off.

i can't believe that gta is old enough to be a retro fps now though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

26. Post #3546
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    3,758 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 10Optimistic Optimistic x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

27. Post #3547
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,769 Posts
    i can't believe that gta is old enough to be a retro fps now though
    Bad news pal - GTA series never had an FPS in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Opera United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

28. Post #3548
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    5,261 Posts
    Bad news pal - GTA series never had an FPS in it.
    Bad news pal - GTA V is in fact a Grand Theft Auto game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Poland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #3549
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,769 Posts
    Bad news pal - GTA V is in fact a Grand Theft Auto game.
    To my best memory GTA5 is still a Third Person Shooter?

Edit: Huh, so there is apparently a mode that let's you play GTA5 as an FPS. Peculiar. Although this hardly applies to the rest of the series, nonetheless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Opera United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #3550
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    5,261 Posts
    To my best memory GTA5 is still a Third Person Shooter?
    I'm sorry for your memory loss, but the PS4/Xbone/PC version introduced a fully implemented First Person view.
    Lots of people play with it always on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Poland Show Events

31. Post #3551
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    6,140 Posts
    this can't come out soon enough because it looks fuckin awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner x 9Agree x 2Optimistic x 1Friendly x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #3552
    August 2010
    1,437 Posts

Only the content is different, Steam offers it as a single game only while GOG offers Doom 2, Final Doom (With yellow key missing fixed which Steam doesn't have) and Master Levels for Doom 2 (Available only as a bundle on Steam)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Poland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #3553
    October 2015
    989 Posts
    I just noticed, apparently me and B.J. have the same birthdate (today, August 15th).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Firefox United States Show Events Informative x 5Useful x 2Disagree x 1Late x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #3554
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,779 Posts
    this can't come out soon enough because it looks fuckin awesome
    I hope it's modable. It would be nice to have flannel variations. I like my enemies to be unique and fashionable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #3555
    March 2013
    2,451 Posts
    I hope it's modable. It would be nice to have flannel variations. I like my enemies to be unique and fashionable.
    I hope they'll get some beefier gun sounds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #3556
    I may have a BIG dick but that doesn't mean I deserve a BIG title
    December 2009
    6,350 Posts
    arcane dimensions is sex
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

37. Post #3557
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    21,606 Posts
    And you now know why I'd rather have Quake, uh, (2018) rather than just Doom 2.

You can do anything with Quake, as the powers you're fighting aren't constrained by any regular physics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

38. Post #3558
    I may have a BIG dick but that doesn't mean I deserve a BIG title
    December 2009
    6,350 Posts
    as sad as it may sound, i don't think cacodemons are constrained by "regular physics"

Edited:

nor do lost souls and a bunch of other shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Russian Federation Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #3559
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    4,017 Posts
    Gas sacks

tiny jet engines inside the skulls

umm

really, once you have teleporters and parallel dimensions, what counts as regular physics gets very blurry
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

40. Post #3560
    November 2015
    1,855 Posts
    I love quakes level design, to be honest
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)