1. Post #3921
    September 2013
    17,424 Posts
    Because ~thin and sleek aesthetics~
    It's not even on their 7000 series though, it's their 5000 standard series that's always been easy to service. Like seriously this is terrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #3922
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,750 Posts
    So you get what you pay for. I found this site Cloudatcost.com which sells basically VPS's for one time fees. It mentions the cheapest is 512mb ram, 10GB SSD space, 1virtual processor, 1gbps connection, no bandwidth limit.

So I paid $17.50 for it. First I put 2012 R2 on it. It hit 99% ram usage and crashed. Then crashed again, then again. So I wiped it and put 2008 R2 on it. Same thing. Then I did windows 7, but it just was so fucking slow. Took about 2 hours to download chrome.
    I'm amazed you got Windows to run on 512 MB at all. That's pretty iffy for server core, let alone the full DE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

3. Post #3923
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,646 Posts
    I would never put Windows on less than 2GB RAM (or at absolute least 1GB) you absolute madman

Put Linux or BSD on it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #3924
    SK17a
    October 2010
    21,316 Posts
    No it's the stock dark theme.

Edited:

Same thing on anniversary edition and on whatever the November one was called.

Edited:

1511? idk
    I think it looks terrible and that a dark grey theme would be much more pleasing to the eyes, but that's just me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #3925
    January 2015
    240 Posts
    There's a ThinkPad T420 on eBay for 140 at the moment. 1600x900 screen, fingerprint, i5. Very tempted to get it. I currently use a Lenovo Z50 which while it has a 1080p screen, the keyboard is absolutely abysmal for typing my notes in lecture and writing assignments.

6. Post #3926
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    25,956 Posts
    I just want them to re-introduce the glass effect for W10, I don't want to use 3rd parties.

7. Post #3927
    wtf Dell why did you start putting tight as hell clips in your latitudes. That was a huge pro that I was like 3 screws out and I'm in.
    Clips are easier for malnourished taiwanese people to put together than screws, obviously

8. Post #3928
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    3,533 Posts
    I think it looks terrible and that a dark grey theme would be much more pleasing to the eyes, but that's just me.
    The worst part is that they use the accent color on text.

9. Post #3929
    September 2013
    17,424 Posts
    Clips are easier for malnourished taiwanese people to put together than screws, obviously
    But they upped the number of screws to 8!

10. Post #3930
    SK17a
    October 2010
    21,316 Posts
    There's a ThinkPad T420 on eBay for 140 at the moment. 1600x900 screen, fingerprint, i5. Very tempted to get it. I currently use a Lenovo Z50 which while it has a 1080p screen, the keyboard is absolutely abysmal for typing my notes in lecture and writing assignments.
    Well I can confirm that the keyboard travel is god tier and is overall fun to type on, you just loose backlit keyboard (but you can use ThinkLight so whatever, however my x201t doesn't have that D:).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #3931
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    3,372 Posts
    So I have to get a new laptop sooner or later for school, and honestly I've got no idea what I'd go with. The MacBooks are pretty dead in my book, but I'd probably want a little GPU power i.e. 1050/RX460, but none of that ugly gamer red accent crap. Oh, and a detachable battery maybe. So I think my options start and end with thinkPad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #3932
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,646 Posts
    So I have to get a new laptop sooner or later for school, and honestly I've got no idea what I'd go with. The MacBooks are pretty dead in my book, but I'd probably want a little GPU power i.e. 1050/RX460, but none of that ugly gamer red accent crap. Oh, and a detachable battery maybe. So I think my options start and end with thinkPad.
    If you're looking for a modern mid-range GPU you're not looking for a Thinkpad

Edited:

Also if it's for school I'd suggest dropping the idea of a powerful dedicated GPU. My gaming laptop (Qosmio X70-A i7 4700MQ 8GB RAM GTX 770M) gets like an hour of battery life even if I'm not doing anything with the GPU. It's also big and heavy. These things have improved in newer laptops, but are still definite issues. I went and bought a Thinkpad later to carry around and now the gaming laptop is just a shitty battlestation. Get a relatively cheap laptop with a nice long battery life (possibly a Thinkpad), and get a nice gaming desktop for home.

Intel HD cards are probably fine for anything you do at school. Newer ones can even handle some light to medium gaming. The Intel HD 4600 (the integrated card in my gaming laptop), can run CS:GO at 1080p/60fps on low graphics or 1336x768/60fps on medium graphics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #3933
    September 2013
    17,424 Posts
    If you're looking for a modern mid-range GPU you're not looking for a Thinkpad

Edited:

Also if it's for school I'd suggest dropping the idea of a powerful dedicated GPU. My gaming laptop (Qosmio X70-A i7 4700MQ 8GB RAM GTX 770M) gets like an hour of battery life even if I'm not doing anything with the GPU. It's also big and heavy. These things have improved in newer laptops, but are still definite issues. I went and bought a Thinkpad later to carry around and now the gaming laptop is just a shitty battlestation. Get a relatively cheap laptop with a nice long battery life (possibly a Thinkpad), and get a nice gaming desktop for home.

Intel HD cards are probably fine for anything you do at school. Newer ones can even handle some light to medium gaming. The Intel HD 4600 (the integrated card in my gaming laptop), can run CS:GO at 1080p/60fps on low graphics or 1336x768/60fps on medium graphics.
    You can get a 940MX in a T series but it's pretty meh

14. Post #3934
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,286 Posts
    Still looks better than eye melting white. I prefer around #222 for dark themes, solid black is only good for OLED.

15. Post #3935
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    22,627 Posts
    serious answer: my surface book has a dGPU but my battery is still exceptional

16. Post #3936
    A man chooses, a slave obeys.
    August 2011
    4,891 Posts
    I thought it was a thing now that laptops could switch between integrated graphics to save energy and dedicated when you really need the power?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #3937
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    22,627 Posts
    I thought it was a thing now that laptops could switch between integrated graphics to save energy and dedicated when you really need the power?
    yup

i can even detach it and have it work fine

18. Post #3938
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,286 Posts
    I can no longer use aeropeek because explorer has decided that the right side of the task bar isn't important enough and slid it off the screen.

Persists through reboots half the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

19. Post #3939
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    47,418 Posts
    If my Tecra M10 didn't have a degraded battery I could easily squeeze 3 hours with the Quadro 150 doing sweet fuck all.
    And that's a lot for me, that's like enough for me to get through my workflow.

20. Post #3940
    SK17a
    October 2010
    21,316 Posts
    yup

i can even detach it and have it work fine
    until you have some program that is still hugging the dGPU i.e. photoshop or whatever

iirc Windows 10 won't let you detach
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #3941
    Hey BRT, that software you used for testing those drives was hdsentinel right?
    Yep, and i quite like it.

22. Post #3942
    Gold Member
    March 2013
    4,382 Posts
    My college sure is on a roll lately.

In the past two weeks (which is still going) we've had DDOS attacks which originated from the US. What does IT management do? Block a shitload of US IP ranges so services which we really need such as Netacad and MTA / MOS exam servers can't be accessed either.

Today we happen to have a final exam of CCNA1 but I'm pretty much the only one who can do it since I set up my own VPN at home, though it keeps dropping the connection with TCP on this network.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

23. Post #3943
    I <3 OTTERS~
    July 2011
    12,174 Posts
    Managed to crack my Sp3 screen somehow, Microsoft wants 450 minus shipping to replace it.

My Sp3 was 500-600, fuck that noise

24. Post #3944
    September 2013
    17,424 Posts
    Managed to crack my Sp3 screen somehow, Microsoft wants 450 minus shipping to replace it.

My Sp3 was 500-600, fuck that noise
    Yeah SP3 screens are stupid easy to crack and stupid expensive to fix the Assemblies are $300 on eBay. I'm still amazed I didn't break mine when I fixed the power button.

25. Post #3945
    I <3 OTTERS~
    July 2011
    12,174 Posts
    Yeah SP3 screens are stupid easy to crack and stupid expensive to fix the Assemblies are $300 on eBay. I'm still amazed I didn't break mine when I fixed the power button.
    Is it worth getting any other SP in the future if that's the risk? I think buying it was a big mistake but I might need one in the future, but if the screens are that easy to fuck I'm probably gonna hold off from it.

Edited:

I'm not even sure whether I should attempt to fix this thing or let it die.

26. Post #3946
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,756 Posts
    For what it's worth I love my SP1 so much I'm going to probably buy nothing but Surface Pros for my mobile computers from now on.

27. Post #3947
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,646 Posts
    My friend got a Surface Pro 3 in pretty good condition with the keyboard cover and the drawing pen for $350 total on eBay IIRC
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

28. Post #3948
    [img][b][color=red]Fuck this isnt HTML[/color][/b][/img]
    February 2009
    2,736 Posts
    I miss my Surface Pro 3. I miss my MacBook. They're both fantastic machines, but my Zenbook works well.

29. Post #3949
    I <3 OTTERS~
    July 2011
    12,174 Posts
    To be honest the novelty wore off, I wanted it for illustration purposes but the damn thing had bad specs and couldn't run Photoshop properly without lag. The small screen was frustrating when I was set up, it was only convenient to have on train rides and such, something I rarely actually took.

30. Post #3950
    September 2013
    17,424 Posts
    Maybe you should have gotten one with better specs if you wanted to do something more intensive? That part's on you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #3951
    I <3 OTTERS~
    July 2011
    12,174 Posts
    Maybe you should have gotten one with better specs if you wanted to do something more intensive? That part's on you.
    Assumed it'd be strong enough for 1920x1080 digital painting

32. Post #3952
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,646 Posts
    My aforementioned friend has been using it for that exact purpose and it's been totally fine. Albeit with Sai rather than Photoshop.

33. Post #3953
    I <3 OTTERS~
    July 2011
    12,174 Posts
    My aforementioned friend has been using it for that exact purpose and it's been totally fine. Albeit with Sai rather than Photoshop.
    Which one does he have? I was dumb and got the only one with an i3

34. Post #3954
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,265 Posts
    That might be the key difference.

35. Post #3955
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,750 Posts
    Well Adobe programs are usually absolute pigs with resource usage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

36. Post #3956
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,646 Posts
    Which one does he have? I was dumb and got the only one with an i3
    That's probably it - she got one with an i5.

Photoshop being a resource hog is an absolutely fair point but I think the i5 SP3 could handle it fairly well.

37. Post #3957
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,750 Posts
    That's probably it - she got one with an i5.

Photoshop being a resource hog is an absolutely fair point but I think the i5 SP3 could handle it fairly well.
    It looks like the SP3 had an i3 4020Y, which benchmarks about 70-ish percent of the i5 4300U, so that's a pretty significant difference.

38. Post #3958
    I <3 OTTERS~
    July 2011
    12,174 Posts
    It looks like the SP3 had an i3 4020Y, which benchmarks about 70-ish percent of the i5 4300U, so that's a pretty significant difference.
    Yep, I was pretty bummed upon realizing that. Oh well my Wacom Bamboo will never let me down.

39. Post #3959
    Photoshop is quite possibly both the most resource intensive and worst-suited program for digital painting. Try Krita, Sai, Autodesk Sketchbook, FireAlpaca, Artrage, Medibang Paint, Mischief... pretty much anything else
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #3960
    I <3 OTTERS~
    July 2011
    12,174 Posts
    I've tried other programs and I just haven't been able to get into them. What do the ones suggested have that are better suited for that kind of thing? Resources doesn't matter anymore anyways, since my SP3 is fucked but it's still good to know. I atleast didn't enjoy Krita, Sai or FireAlpaca (isn't that the same thing?)