1. Post #1
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    Dennab
    July 2010
    13,851 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Funny x 101Winner x 8Artistic x 5Informative x 1Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Fudders
    MAKING FACEPUNCH GREAT AGAIN
    September 2010
    8,596 Posts
    Surprisingly catchy oh god.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 33Winner Winner x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,551 Posts
    There is something deeply pleasing about how well these misheard lyrics work into a narrative. It's the feeling of nostalgia, weed and stroke all at once.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,235 Posts
    I listen to some bad lip reading songs unironically because they just sound really good

5. Post #5
    the fuck is this?
    Dennab
    November 2009
    18,339 Posts
    i have never paid attention to yoda's puppet like this before. damn frank oz was hella good at that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Late Late x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Respected User
    March 2007
    9,198 Posts
    His noise @2:16
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,105 Posts
    The line about the log was god damn genius.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,650 Posts
    Makes me realize that one of the biggest mistakes the prequels ever made was not keeping Yoda as a puppet. Is it weird to say he actually seemed more believable that way than with CGI?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,105 Posts
    Makes me realize that one of the biggest mistakes the prequels ever made was not keeping Yoda as a puppet. Is it weird to say he actually seemed more believable that way than with CGI?
    I think the mistake was fucking up the Yoda puppet in Episode 1 so bad they just made him CGI from then on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,724 Posts
    Some pure CGI is convincing but it's so few and far between and gets dated so quickly anyway.

Practical effects, sometimes supplemented with CGI, holds up for a long time.

Jurassic Park case and point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,650 Posts
    God I actually forgot about Episode 1. In my mind it's always been CGI with the prequels.

Jesus fuck.

Puppet from Episode 5 I believe. God this looks way better.

Maybe CGI wasn't a bad idea then. Guess I was just upset because at the time CGI stood out so much. If it means we don't get puppet monster Yoda then I'm fine with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,619 Posts
    I've heard the intro before somewhere, before the song starts.

13. Post #13
    Respected User
    March 2007
    9,198 Posts
    That little intro noise? It's probably in a free library somewhere, there are a lot of podcasts that use it for their intro
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    9,062 Posts
    While CGI has it's benefits and can be incredibly convincing, puppetry has the benefit of being naturally lit by the scene in a way that computers just can't recreate. They also give the actors something to actually interact with, whereas CGI relies largely on their imagination.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,994 Posts
    I recognized it from a motovlogger I follow called ArsonRides.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    15,532 Posts
    While CGI has it's benefits and can be incredibly convincing, puppetry has the benefit of being naturally lit by the scene in a way that computers just can't recreate. They also give the actors something to actually interact with, whereas CGI relies largely on their imagination.
    There's actually new techniques aimed at doing just that.

Also, more interestingly IMO, the reverse. taking actors on a greenscreen and having a light setup around them that's driven by a virtual scene. They can now place actors in accurately lit dynamic CGI scenes. Even tying the lighting to camera movement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    the fuck is this?
    Dennab
    November 2009
    18,339 Posts
    God I actually forgot about Episode 1. In my mind it's always been CGI with the prequels.

Jesus fuck.

Maybe CGI wasn't a bad idea then. Guess I was just upset because at the time CGI stood out so much. If it means we don't get puppet monster Yoda then I'm fine with it.
    while it was great to see a puppet again, they de-aged him way too much, the cgi in 2/3 got it right, thank fuck lucas went back and replaced it in 1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,619 Posts
    That little intro noise? It's probably in a free library somewhere, there are a lot of podcasts that use it for their intro
    No, the 'penny for your thoughts' exchange.

EDIT: It's because this is an extended song from an older video:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,982 Posts
    The puppet in episode 1 was atrocious, glad they replaced him with CGI Yoda.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    9,408 Posts

Jesus fuck.

you do member when there was a female yoda, I member
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    6,147 Posts
    "Some day when you are older, you could get hit by a boulder" wow, actually had me in tears.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    7,727 Posts
    Oh shit, when I saw the original video I was hoping they'd do an extended version of the Yoda song. Never thought they'd actually do it though

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    9,062 Posts
    There's actually new techniques aimed at doing just that.

Also, more interestingly IMO, the reverse. taking actors on a greenscreen and having a light setup around them that's driven by a virtual scene. They can now place actors in accurately lit dynamic CGI scenes. Even tying the lighting to camera movement.
    While that's a benefit of greenscreens, the drawback is that you're taking the actor out of a physical environment and forcing them to rely on their imagination.

At any rate, both methods have their advantages and disadvantages and either can achieve the film maker's goals if done correctly.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    15,532 Posts
    While that's a benefit of greenscreens, the drawback is that you're taking the actor out of a physical environment and forcing them to rely on their imagination.

At any rate, both methods have their advantages and disadvantages and either can achieve the film maker's goals if done correctly.
    Very much agreed, if a filmmaker goes overboard and creates something entirely sterile no amount of CGI will pull it back together. Textbook Lucas.

As far as using a shitton of CGI while still retaining a lot of life and character goes I thought the new Jungle Book movie did an excellent job.

25. Post #25

Jesus fuck.

Looks like they made the mistake of making him look slightly younger. The prequels were only like what like 50 years earlier? When yoda is like a thousand years old?

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    36,437 Posts
    Probably why they went back and replaced that puppet with the CG model used in EP2 or EP3 for the Blu-Ray.

Replacing him in EP1 was originally a test for the EP2 model IIRC, you can see a behind the scenes feature on it in the DVD Release in EP2.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,086 Posts

you do member when there was a female yoda, I member
    The best part is her name. It's fucking Yaddle.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yaddle

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    9,408 Posts
    Yaddle was based off of concept sketch for yoda in the prequel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)