1. Post #1

May 2016
    46 Posts
    How do I remove tabs from the spawnlist?
    I want to remove some of these:

Like the TF2 one. I want it gone

2. Post #2
    Don't PM me about moderation - PM any of the mods.
    May 2008
    15,873 Posts
    You must never try to delete user generated Spawnlists.

If you want it gone for yourself, you can right click it and delete it.

3. Post #3
    January 2016
    684 Posts
    You must never try to delete user generated Spawnlists.
    Why not?

4. Post #4
    May 2008
    15,873 Posts
    Why not?
    Would you want me to remove your workshop addons because I don't like them?

5. Post #5
    March 2015
    3,587 Posts
    Would you want me to remove your workshop addons because I don't like them?
    Pretty sure he means only while you're on a certain server... which I seem to remember a server doing to me before

6. Post #6
    May 2008
    15,873 Posts
    Pretty sure he means only while you're on a certain server... which I seem to remember a server doing to me before
    What difference does it make? It's not your content to remove, on your server or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Estonia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    August 2014
    54 Posts
    Tbh that menu can be disabled with a function, and it is from the aspect and gamemode of sandbox. I see Garry's Mod as a platform for completely custom gamemodes, so it really isn't a problem unless you want to complain that TTT doesn't have a spawn menu. And I'm pretty sure he is just talking about removing the tabs temporarily for the server and not actually editing the user's personal tab layout.

8. Post #8
    June 2016
    726 Posts
    How do I make a new tab (tab, not spawnlist) to spawn props?
    Because editing spawnlist is complicated lol
    Not sure if that way is better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply BlackBerry Opera Mini Europe Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,839 Posts
    Whats the point of removing that spawnlist, you can either spawn them via browse

10. Post #10
    Not another server
    August 2013
    1,589 Posts
    What difference does it make? It's not your content to remove, on your server or not.
    You are perfectly in your rights to remove it from displaying while on your own server so long as you're not actually removing it from a players game.

11. Post #11
    May 2008
    15,873 Posts
    You are perfectly in your rights to remove it from displaying while on your own server so long as you're not actually removing it from a players game.
    How many you expect to know how to do that, or to know the difference to begin with?

Either way, its wrong and you shouldn't even be able do that. Want custom spawnlists for your server? Remove the first tab entirely and make a custom one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Estonia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    January 2016
    684 Posts
    How many you expect to know how to do that, or to know the difference to begin with?

Either way, its wrong and you shouldn't even be able do that. Want custom spawnlists for your server? Remove the first tab entirely and make a custom one.
    Pretty sure no one is gonna swallow their keyboard if a tab is removed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    June 2016
    726 Posts

How?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply BlackBerry Opera Mini Europe Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2013
    1,301 Posts
    Reverse engineering the spawnlist, you can do something like this

Code:
    for k, v in pairs(g_SpawnMenu.CreateMenu.Items[1].Panel:GetChildren()[1].ContentNavBar.Tree:GetChildren()[1]:GetChildren()[1]:GetChildren()[4]:GetChildren()) do
        for a, b in pairs(v:GetChildren()[1]:GetChildren()) do
            if (b:GetText():lower():find("team fortress")) then
                b:Remove();
            end;
        end;
    end;
    obviously this is nasty code and there's a better way to do it, but you'll need to access the spawnmenu's children and such. I'm sure you'll figure it out..

also the order of the parented items might vary, so don't rely on my numbers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Shit
    On
    Shit
    March 2013
    18,651 Posts
    g_SpawnMenu.CreateMenu.Items[1].Panel:GetChildren()[1].ContentNavBar.Tree:GetChildren()[1]:GetChildren()[1]:GetChildren()[4]:GetChildren()
    I'm impressed by how far down you went to find that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Not another server
    August 2013
    1,589 Posts

If your argument is based upon people not knowing how to do it in a way that doesn't mess with peoples games then perhaps you should make it impossible to mess with peoples games in said way. Saying someone should customize their server in some manner is totally against what the game is about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2013
    1,301 Posts
    If your argument is based upon people not knowing how to do it in a way that doesn't mess with peoples games then perhaps you should make it impossible to mess with peoples games in said way. Saying someone should customize their server in some manner is totally against what the game is about.
    I think he's just against the method of deleting the txt files from the user's settings folder (which you can't even do to my knowledge).

EDIT:

well I contradicted myself but whatever

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,063 Posts
    The only problem I can think of is that: if the player makes any change in the spawn menu, the SAVE ALL button will appear. If they click it, boom, what you've removed is gone forever.

There are ways to disable that button from appearing. I've done it. Look through my started threads for a really old one about a year and a half ago, I've posted how.

19. Post #19
    May 2008
    15,873 Posts
    My argument is that you shouldn't be deleting spawnlists. If a user saves any changes to the undeleted spawnlists, they will lose the server deleted spawnlists permanently.

https://github.com/garrynewman/garry...m.lua#L77-L124

It is physically impossible to "make it impossible to mess with peoples games in said way", unless we move part or the entire spawnmenu to C++.

Most of people such as the OP do not understand this or the facts that spawnlists are customizable and unique to each client, and that removing spawnlists doesn't even accomplish anything.

There isn't even any reason to delete them other than personal preference, which you can satisfy for yourself by changing your own spawnlists for yourself.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,063 Posts
    There isn't even any reason to delete them other than personal preference, which you can satisfy for yourself by changing your own spawnlists for yourself.
    Can't speak for OP, but back then I absolutely had a reason. Spawning had a whitelist (with some extra rules that I won't get into), and a very limited one at that. The player had no reason to have access to his old lists because most of the props in then were unspawnable anyway.

The point is, you don't know what people are doing with sandbox-derived gamemodes, and you shouldn't make sweeping statements about them.

21. Post #21
    June 2016
    726 Posts
    I just want to know how to make a new tab that capable of spawning prop :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply BlackBerry Opera Mini Europe Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    April 2016
    224 Posts
    I'm impressed by how far down you went to find that
    i present to you; my first ever attempt at stylizing the spawnmenu

i wasn't the brightest scripter back then
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 6Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,839 Posts
    As it runs and you have to run it once, i don't see the problem

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,063 Posts
    As it runs and you have to run it once, i don't see the problem
    A bit of a heavy read but: http://thedailywtf.com/articles/What..._Failure_0x3f_

The short version is: it's important to recognize when you did things in a wrong/bad way and improve yourself for next time. The author of that article believes that tagging anything that works as a "success", even if it's a shit solution that is impossible to maintain, is actually WORSE than failure.