1. Post #4321
    December 2012
    4,663 Posts

hey guys! thought i'd just do a little playthrough of pokemon silver, just for nostalgia's sake. it'll be fun to experience all these old memories!

well, after a fairly normal opening, i decided to pick totodile (the og starter of choice), name him TOTO, and run with it. we had a few fights with some nasty sentrfts on the way to mr. pokemon's lab, but it was nothing bite couldn't handle. i managed to level up a bit too, which was nice

after getting the famous mystery egg, i made my way back through cherrygrove, admiring the lovely sakura pine trees and 4 deco. the gameboy color sure is a marvel!

a brief rival fight and tree climb later and we're back in new bark town. it's funny, i could've sworn i saw this red haired guy run west after kicking his butt, but i guess the criminal always returns to the scene of the crime...

on my way to violet city i fought off some qattatas (hate those guys!) and found out that people really don't want to make eye contact with me. i guess they heard how strong i was lol. i also caught myself a weedle! and named it... huh, i don't remember naming it, but i guess i called her DEEDLD. well, all the joy of playing this game must have just caused temporary amnesia. happens all the time. anyhow, tune in next time for another exciting installment of my pokemon silver experience!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #4322
    December 2014
    165 Posts
    Why are there are graphical glitches and people in the trees in the game that Bynine is playing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

3. Post #4323
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    7,723 Posts
    Why are there are graphical glitches and people in the trees in the game that Bynine is playing?
    Probably a mildly corrupted rom.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #4324
    December 2012
    4,663 Posts
    Probably a mildly corrupted rom.
    hahaha. don't be silly. it's been a while since we've played pokemon silver, after all, so you're bound to not remember some things perfectly. still, i assure you this is a wholly normal playthrough

anyhow, your trusty hero B RLDY decided to stop off into dark cave and catch a zubat with one of the many master balls you're given early on in the game. i don't know why they're in my key item pocket, i must be really disorganized! still, i got paid for my trouble, which is always nice.

violet city was pretty uneventful (although people still won't look at me when they talk to me. i must have some spinach in my teeth or something). i tried heading out through route 36, but i had forgotten they made it so you couldn't progress without first watering the lapras there. making a mental note to return later, i decided to go to sprout tower, but...

who put these here? darn botanists. i traipsed back into violet city through the ruins of alph instead.

anyhow, sprout tower! i had forgotten how the player was able to walk under the floor in sprout tower. it made for some excellent stealth-based gameplay, something i'm surprised later games in the series didn't incorporate. DEEDLD and TOTO made short work of the many bellsprouts in this tower, with DEEDLD evolving into a kakuna.

the final fight of the tower with the blue sage proved tricky. luckily, the encouraging words of my rival, "object event", helped spur me on. with her last shred of health DEEDLD took down his HOOTHOOT, and evolved into BEEDRILL for it! what a fighter she is.

before facing falkner, i decided to check the lapras blocking route 36 again, and what do you know! it left, probably to go block some other route, the fatass. i seized the opportunity and patrolled the route, seeing more lapras (common sons of guns, aren't they?) and nabbing a powerful pidgey for my trouble.

last but not least, my fight with falkner. this guy takes the whole flying thing seriously - he isn't even standing on the floor! regardless, my new pidgey demolished him. i knew silver was easy, but this was ridiculous. oh well! join me next time for my trip to azalea town
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #4325
    December 2014
    165 Posts
    Oh no, the corrupted game is getting worse, like lapras npcs and blue Silver saying "object event", is Bynine using a corrupter tool?

6. Post #4326
    July 2009
    1,995 Posts
    To the surprise of approximately no one, Pheromosa is finally getting suspect-tested;
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads...boost.3599206/

7. Post #4327
    March 2017
    90 Posts
    Reminds me of a video about using arbitrary code execution in Yellow. How did you corrupt it in that way?

I had something similar in my Pokemon Silver. Everything in the first two cities is fine. From there, dialogues starts to mess up, often just empty dialogues. Pokemon names are limited to five characters, moves have random words as name, and Cal from the Trainer House in Viridian City has a team of 3 humans using Surf, Vast stu (Rock Smash) and Hard stu (Strength).
    Years later I find out there is an original, legit Silver version with a poor japanese-english translation and some interesting bugs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Opera Show Events

8. Post #4328
    January 2014
    404 Posts
    does anyone know a reliable way to backup saves for Pokemon Y?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events

9. Post #4329
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    7,723 Posts
    does anyone know a reliable way to backup saves for Pokemon Y?
    Dump your save with JKSM.

If you have CFW then just install the .cia with FBI. If you don't have CFW and cant get CFW (due to being on 11.3) then you can use soundhax to get into the HBL and then launch the .3dsx version of JKSM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #4330
    February 2013
    10,857 Posts
    Update on stuff
    -Code for Mega Stones for Pidgeot and Steelix has been release, click here after logging into the PGL
    -The next set of stones has been announced, they will release the stones for Blaziken and Sceptile (along with Swampert now, see below) if you enter the International Challenge for April. That challenge uses VGC rules (double battle, Alolan Pokedex minus the box legends and event Pokemon). Registration starts the 19th of next month.
    -Next Global mission has started, goal is 200,000 eggs hatched. If you hatch 3 you get 5 rare candies, and if 400,000 eggs are hatched, everyone gets a Love Ball.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #4331
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    3,982 Posts
    I'm so close to completing the Pokedex in Pokemon X. I need less than 70 more Pokemon, the majority of which I can probably shill some breeded starters on the GTS for, as I've been doing for most every other one that's unavailable through normal play so far.

If anyone is kind enough to either give me a freshly breeded one of or even just swap back and forth so I can get the dex registration on anything in this list please add me on Steam and give me a shout. To be honest, my biggest concerns are the Pokemon that level with friendship or happiness, and more importantly, the ones at the bottom of that list which need special items to be held while traded. The only way to get those items is to win a few hundred battles at the Battle Maison, which I'm not too keen on doing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events

12. Post #4332
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    7,723 Posts
    The evo items are only like 48bp in gen 6. 48 * 4 = 192. That's like a streak of 45 or so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #4333
    April 2012
    710 Posts
    Update on stuff
    -Code for Mega Stones for Pidgeot and Steelix has been release, click here after logging into the PGL
    Did i have to participate in last month's competition?
    I'm getting this error: "The special code will display only when you are logged in with a qualifying game."
    (Playing on Sun)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #4334
    November 2013
    996 Posts
    I'm so close to completing the Pokedex in Pokemon X. I need less than 70 more Pokemon, the majority of which I can probably shill some breeded starters on the GTS for, as I've been doing for most every other one that's unavailable through normal play so far.

If anyone is kind enough to either give me a freshly breeded one of or even just swap back and forth so I can get the dex registration on anything in this list please add me on Steam and give me a shout. To be honest, my biggest concerns are the Pokemon that level with friendship or happiness, and more importantly, the ones at the bottom of that list which need special items to be held while traded. The only way to get those items is to win a few hundred battles at the Battle Maison, which I'm not too keen on doing.
    Oi, I'm sure I can help you with some of those Pokémon you need, plus I can give you some evolutionary stones I have laying around if you need 'em.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Chile Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #4335
    April 2012
    483 Posts
    Update on stuff
    -The next set of stones has been announced, they will release the stones for Blaziken and Sceptile if you enter the International Challenge for April. That challenge uses VGC rules (double battle, Alolan Pokedex
    Blaziken and Sceptile get Mega Stones released but no M-Swampert? That's just not cool, man. Swampert's my favorite Hoenn starter and I want to get some Pelipper/M-Swampert shenanigans going.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #4336
    RPG
    January 2010
    1,005 Posts
    Blaziken and Sceptile get Mega Stones released but no M-Swampert? That's just not cool, man. Swampert's my favorite Hoenn starter and I want to get some Pelipper/M-Swampert shenanigans going.
    Actually, they edited their statement, and the Swamperite will also be distributed.

Serebii posted:
    In The Games Department

Pokémon Sun & Moon - Battle Competition

Following the reveal yesterday, the Pokémon Global Link has updated to state that the 2017 International Challenge April will not just give Sceptilite and Blazikenite for entry, but will also give Swampertite allowing for you to Mega Evolve all three Hoenn Starter Pokémon from this competition. To get these Mega Stones, you need to compete in 3 battles in the competition. Registration will be open from April 19th at 00:00 UTC to April 27th 23:59 UTC and battles will run from April 28th to April 30th.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Firefox Chile Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

17. Post #4337
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #4338
    Community Slacker
    July 2005
    10,280 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events

19. Post #4339
    February 2013
    10,857 Posts
    It's been two days now but both the goals for the Global Mission have been reached, and nearing 3 million eggs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events

20. Post #4340
    December 2012
    1,983 Posts
    But why? That's the best one. :(

Team Aqua forever!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #4341
    Tabasco Lord
    September 2005
    13,193 Posts

pretty neat stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #4342
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    5,471 Posts
    ah yes, my favorite version, Pokémon Not For Resale
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox France Show Events

23. Post #4343
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,768 Posts
    ah yes, my favorite version, Pokémon Not For Resale
    Ah yes, the sequel to famous Not For Resale.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Opera United States Show Events

24. Post #4344
    Community Slacker
    July 2005
    10,280 Posts

pretty neat stuff
    I almost bought a couple of the DS ones, they float around eBay a lot. But you can simply throw them onto a flashcard and achieve the same effect. I've used that method to redistribute old events so I could 'legitimately' complete my Dex in replays of gen 4/5.

I did go to one of those gen 3 Mew events. They used that tedious "trade from carts loaded with Mews" method. Had to line up with a ton of other people at Toys"R"Us for like an hour, and I brought four friends to get Mews on all of my gen 3 games. I treated them all to lunch afterwards, and now I have a pile of legit Mews in gen 3.

If you want 'legit' distro Pokemon in gen 1 and 2, someone did manage to dump their Crystal save file loaded with Pokemon Center NY distributions, including several Celebi. Further down in that thread, someone also posted their Blue save containing a legit 1999 Toys"R"Us Mew. It's amazing that they were preserved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #4345
    October 2014
    607 Posts
    I did go to one of those gen 3 Mew events. They used that tedious "trade from carts loaded with Mews" method. Had to line up with a ton of other people at Toys"R"Us for like an hour, and I brought four friends to get Mews on all of my gen 3 games. I treated them all to lunch afterwards, and now I have a pile of legit Mews in gen 3.
    Fun fact; at the same event, I saw that one of the pokemon someone traded for a Mew was a Dugtrio named "Dr. Seuss", so I have this weird tradition of naming Diglett that now.

26. Post #4346
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,875 Posts
    If you do want 'legit' distro Pokemon in gen 1 and 2, someone did manage to dump their Crystal save file loaded with Pokemon Center NY distributions, including several Celebi. Further down in that thread, someone also posted their Blue save containing a legit 1999 Toys"R"Us Mew. It's amazing that they were preserved.
    I just find it fascinating that Pokemon from nearly two decades ago are currently alive and well online, and that someone's old, cherished file can be used by anybody with the time and the means.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #4347
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    3,982 Posts
    I finally did it. I finished the Pokemon X National Pokedex. Got my oval and shiny charms and I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Side note, does the shiny charm affect eggs too, or just wild encounters?

28. Post #4348
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    7,723 Posts
    It affects any time the PID of a Pokemon is rolled, so any time you obtain/encounter a Pokemon. Afaik that does include shiny locked things.

More precisely, it will cause the PID to be rerolled 3 times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #4349

December 2013
    41 Posts

pretty neat stuff
    Got Myself one of the Ds ones about a year ago now for a SMR2012 Keldeo at a fairly decent price. There a nice little novelty to have when you can find the correct dates for the cart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #4350
    June 2015
    747 Posts
    When will they release a pikachu with the    aether foundation costume?   

31. Post #4351
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    3,982 Posts
    My first foray into shiny hunting.

Breeding sucks. Even with O-Powers, a magma armor pokemon, the Masuda method, and the oval and shiny charms. I just wanted to give my friend a shiny Oddish as thanks for helping me fill out my dex with all the legendaries. It doesn't help that my luck is utterly atrocious by default.

Edited:

Oh hey I got one. Awesome!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #4352
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    29,323 Posts
    Oh cool, Pokemon XYZ is on Netflix.

You know, after years of watching this fucking show, I realize that the inane relationship issues Ash & Co. come across can all be solved by beating Team Rocket. Kind of a weird thing to teach to kids depending on the plotline.

For example, I have a marriage issue with my wife and we might get divorced, so we stopped the cartel drug trade and now we rekindled our relationship.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

33. Post #4353
    February 2013
    10,857 Posts
    Well, you've done it anime writers. You've finally pissed me off enough to stop watching completely: by doing the biggest of the writing sins, pretending you have an emotional heart at the core of the story.
    Spoilers for the episode tomorrow with Litten
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #4354
    February 2005
    29,323 Posts
    Serena was perfect for Ash and I'm still upset she isn't a permanent party member.

Then again, we need a girl character who doesn't want to do pageants. Are there any characters in the newest anime who wants to do that?

35. Post #4355
    December 2012
    1,983 Posts
    Serena was perfect for Ash and I'm still upset she isn't a permanent party member.

Then again, we need a girl character who doesn't want to do pageants. Are there any characters in the newest anime who wants to do that?
    I think you mean Misty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #4356
    February 2005
    29,323 Posts
    hold the fuk up

37. Post #4357
    May 2009
    13,240 Posts
    May is Bae
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #4358
    that guy that wants to fuck the robot the most
    August 2009
    9,102 Posts
    its probably the cheesy romantic interest/obliviousness between two 10 year old characters that both have the character depth and personality of a wet paper bag but i didnt like serena at all

i mean, the anime has never been great with character development, and that makes character chemistry all the more important

and when i say chemistry, i don't mean like "these people get along perfectly", i mean like "these people act a certain way around each other that is interesting to watch"

misty had an enjoyable chemistry with ash, and the cast in sun/moon display a fun vibrance that x/y lacked. x/y had flashy battle sequences, but that's about all i can say about it.

serena was not a good party member, basically
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #4359
    July 2013
    1,041 Posts
    I think the problem with Serena was that she didn't do anything for 20 episodes, afterwards she makes a whopping....2 whole captures. the dynamic of Ash's companions were made less grating by reintroducing Brock's lecherousness in Bonnie (though as a gag) whilst she's the Kid (an archetype that was only tried with Max) making her OK. X/Y didn't have anything overarching in terms of sidequests so they had to invent Pokevision & pageants from whole cloth just to give her some screen time. with Alain's whole Mega Evolution thing, Greninja's synchro and Serena's midlife crisis, they didn't really have much room for anything else. it's a wonder that Cilan got not 1, but 2 post-season episodes.

As far as Pokemon goes, i'd say Luxray and Bunnelby gets the least development. the Pokemon themselves are usually swingy in representation that as soon as Starters/evolutions are involved, their exposure in advertising falls like a brick. I'd assume Goodra came back due to fan demand. probably in the minority, but im not much of a fan of slotting in new pokemon to the group via flashbacks (Luxio, Excadrill) or Pokemon that seems implausible or added for the sake of being mascots. (Iris' Dragonite and Emolga), obviously Pokemon from Eggs are given a free pass, as well as Team Rocket's Pokemon since they seldom evolve theirs since Hoenn and that they almost always drop off their old Pokemon.

If in the few cases where TR's Pokemon evolve, it's usually just soon after obtaining them, or that they're considered either unmarketable (Yanmega) or that evolving doesn't alter them too much (Arbok, Weezing, Gourgeist) an exception would be Dustox, but only because they had to contrast against May in contests+being the convenient smogger/power-user. Chimecho would be a basebreaker since not only it goes into the Motto, but it also heals injuries, they probably wanted to bench it as fast as possible with Mime Jr to promote generation IV. does a motto really need Mime Jr/Chimecho, Meowth and Wobbufett?

Honestly, probably rate May high up there. small stumbles like Munchlax (kills Skitty, Metronome is a tad godmoddy and isn't stuck to team moves like Assist), but she turns more badass when she returns for D/P, i fail to believe that she would honestly lose against Dawn. seems like it was only done just to avoid having Dawn and Zoey from having a match, a sacrificial lion.    Dawn arguably looks more plain during contests since there are more regular rivals and clothing values went up. plus Zoey eventually beats her anyway.    kinda surprising they didn't do anything with Nando. before Sinnoh, it'd just be either characters of the day, Jessie, Harley or Drew.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

40. Post #4360
    July 2013
    4,870 Posts
    While Ash and Misty had interesting character chemistry in seasons 1, 2 and the earlier half of 3, Misty as a whole was pretty much generic background fodder for the rest of the Johto arc.

Overall, Dawn was probably the female companion handled the best, as she had a character development arc like Serena's and had a similar mentality of being a somewhat jack-of-all-trades character. In addition, unlike the other female characters, who are treated as supporting cast, Dawn pretty much was a co-main-protagonist with Ash. I'd also consider her interactions with Ash to be more interesting than season one Misty's, but mostly because they actually maintained her personality and significance throughout Gen 4 whereas Misty basically became the Togepi transport device.

Gen 4's anime overall was probably the best-handled of the series imo, specifically because of how Dawn and Ash's rivalry with Paul were dealt with. Gen 6 was handled pretty nicely as well (especially from the battle and action side) although the blatant meddling of the plot by the higher ups and Serena spending so long trying to decide on something to focus on harmed it a bit for me, as well as Clemont's and Serena's teams not getting a real chance to flesh out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events