1. Post #1
    October 2015
    147 Posts
    Hey everyone and especially swrp people!

As my previous map is basically done (ran into a problem any help ->https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1542165)
    I want to start a new map.

It will be an open space map with a feature Im currently testing:

By layering multiple "maps" and connecting them with teleporters the map will be three times as big as usual (only in x and y axes!!)
    By cleverly using a 3d skybox I will make it look seamless (You wont notice going through a teleporter)

In the middle of the map I want to place some sort of ship. Of course my first thought was to completely recreate a venator from scratch but maybe another or a even better Idea will come up.
    If not I want to know what is essential for a swrp map and what people want to see.

So just post any suggestions below and I will update this post as they come in.

Keep in mind that I do not want to go through the trouble I had (and currently still am) to with the kamino map.
    So I dont want to make it as complex.

Cheers,

KingPommes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    August 2016
    36 Posts
    Seems like a huge project, hopefully you'll be successful with it. Try to focus on optimization cause that seems a problem on many swrp maps!

3. Post #3
    November 2009
    877 Posts
    You might bang your head against the entity limit sooner than you'd like. But i say go for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    ForMod2013
    June 2009
    3,222 Posts
    small detailed areas are better than large empty ones!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

5. Post #5
    October 2015
    147 Posts
    Thanks for the good vibes so far! :)

Seems like a huge project, hopefully you'll be successful with it. Try to focus on optimization cause that seems a problem on many swrp maps!
    Yes optimazation is a huge must! The previous map is pretty big aswell (one massive open space) and I'd like to say I managed to optimize this map as good as it gets.
    Since I will devide the new map in smaller "boxes" I hope it will become a bit easier.

You might bang your head against the entity limit sooner than you'd like. But i say go for it.
    I know ... I have incountered the limits multiple times with my previous map! By using propper you can still push the limits tho.

small detailed areas are better than large empty ones!
    The Thing is that they what a massive map since they're flying around with ships and stuff!

6. Post #6

September 2015
    73 Posts
    I started a project a few months back that I didn't continue. It was going to be part of the deathstar with a republic ship out side of it. The majority of the deathstar was to be made in the 3D skybox.

Could do something along the lines of that?

7. Post #7
    March 2015
    29 Posts
    Again a RP map ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    October 2015
    147 Posts
    I started a project a few months back that I didn't continue. It was going to be part of the deathstar with a republic ship out side of it. The majority of the deathstar was to be made in the 3D skybox.

Could do something along the lines of that?
    Sounds pretty good :)! I love maps that feel MASSIVE.

9. Post #9
    October 2015
    147 Posts
    So heres my progress so far :) its a Venator from scratch !

(lights messed up ... its only a fast compile)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 9Winner Winner x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    March 2015
    124 Posts
    If ya give me a full compile with nice lighting I'll love you forever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    October 2015
    147 Posts
    If ya give me a full compile with nice lighting I'll love you forever
    A propper full compile will come when the map is done :) till then I will only full compile pats isolated with the cordon tool

12. Post #12
    ForMod2013
    June 2009
    3,222 Posts
    Watch those entity limits! Looks like a cool project
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    November 2014
    1,574 Posts
    Looking really good so far
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    January 2010
    471 Posts
    That looks really good. Much better than the other Venator maps.

Can't say that I'm a fan of that skybox though. Seems a little too bright.

15. Post #15
    October 2015
    147 Posts
    That looks really good. Much better than the other Venator maps.

Can't say that I'm a fan of that skybox though. Seems a little too bright.
    thanks :) And yeah I dont think Im going to leave it as is. the Planet below has a bunch of Skins to make it look like youre in different systems and only coruscant really fits the skybox. So Im going to create a more neutral one :)

16. Post #16
    January 2010
    471 Posts
    Those look like real time reflections btw. How are you getting those functional. I've tried before but I couldn't get it to work. And real time reflecting floors is definitely something I'd want to add to my star destroyer map as well.

17. Post #17
    October 2015
    147 Posts
    Those look like real time reflections btw. How are you getting those functional. I've tried before but I couldn't get it to work. And real time reflecting floors is definitely something I'd want to add to my star destroyer map as well.
    Its a func_reflective_glass :D extra flag that makes it to the physgun cant pick it up (added that to pretty much everything):
    gmod_allowphysgun with a value of 0

heres the vmt:

Code:
    "lightmappedreflective"
    {
    	"$basetexture" "KingPommes/Venator/interior/metalwall003"
    	"$bumpmap" "KingPommes/Venator/interior/metalwall003_normal"
    	"$surfaceprop" "metal"
    	"$refracttexture" "_rt_WaterRefraction"
    	"$refractamount" "0.1"
    	"$refracttint" "[.5 .5 .5]"

"$reflecttexture" "_rt_WaterReflection"
    	"$reflectamount" "1"
    	"$reflecttint" "[.5 .5 .5]"

"$fresnelpower" "0"
    	"$minreflectivity" "0.8"
    	"$maxreflectivity" "1.0"

"$normalmap" "KingPommes/Venator/interior/metalwall003_normal"

"$bumpframe" "0"
    }
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    January 2010
    471 Posts
    Thanks man, that works like a charm!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #19

February 2016
    54 Posts
    This fits more for palpatine

20. Post #20
    October 2015
    147 Posts
    This fits more for palpatine
    Haha yeah I took it straight from that scene

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,516 Posts
    That venator is very nice.

How do you go about making ships like that, if you don't mind me asking?

more specifically,

Do you make the interior then fit the outside to it, or vice versa??

How do you make the outside?

22. Post #22
    October 2015
    147 Posts
    No I start with the outside. Looking at reference pictures. Creating it in part and turning those parts into models using propper :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    March 2015
    29 Posts
    Damn awesome

24. Post #24
    October 2015
    147 Posts
    Did some final compiles :) Any suggestion on how to get rid of those "circles" where the light entities are sitting ?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    368 Posts
    Did some final compiles :) Any suggestion on how to get rid of those "circles" where the light entities are sitting ?
    make the lights more constant as opposed to quadratic

see https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...dratic_Falloff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

26. Post #26

July 2016
    39 Posts
    Your Kamino map, although being amazing, has perfomance issues. There are many locations, but for high loaded server they are probably too many. I'm working in starfront's team (russian swrp server with 70-100 online during primetime) and we considered switching to Kamino from venator, but had to decline because of FPS drop for our players and overall the map lags. Firstly, the water takes a lot of FPS, then it appears there aren't enough areaportals to prevent the map from rendering as a whole (thus decreasing perfomance), each asteroid takes a lot also, they are too many. The acclamator's hangar is too small to contain single LAAT or smaller ship, like eta2. Overall, your map is beautiful, it's amazing how much of the content has been included, but it's unplayable with high online. Our rivals from other servers tried to use it and encountered perfomance issues as well; one of our main current rivals starline (same amount of players) currently uses it but it lags. IMO, every part of your Kamino (jedi temple, acclamator, the buildings) could be easily converted to the fully functional map each.

Making new map (or editing existed ones) is in our todo list, so I just put here our tech project with small commentaries regarding your maps:

- Training room
    It should be big and balanced for PvP mostly (autospawn for NPC isn't needed, it could be done through lua with less perfomance issues), I like training room in rp_stardestroyer, it could be too big, though, in current venator_v3 that we're using it's almost ideal, if only a little small. It would be cool to have different training rooms - for small team-on-team events and big exams. There was a map in workshop, couldn't find it, it was basic rp_kamino (old kamino with white textures) only the Citadel (training room) had three hl2 turrets which could be turned off with a button which located on the top of the 'hill', like this:
    ..+-
    ..+-
    ..+-

+ - turrets
    .. - second floor
    ** - stairs

So small teams could entertain themselves against these turrets and prepare to bigger exams based on the same goal.
    - Main hangar
    Big hangar (unlike what you did with acclamator, soz) which would easily contain 4-6 LAAT's, with big hangar doors through which said LAATs (or droid ships!) could fly. Should be opened&closed from the control room (buttons)
    - Barracks
    Close to each other in order to be a crowding place. But not too close - or voices would come through the walls.
    - Huge briefing room (though your hangar could be used for this) to contain all the legions (~80-90 players at same place)
    - Smaller briefing room for legion commanders (10-15 players), no chairs needed - they could be added later, never knows how many you would need
    - a small jail: no need for different rooms for each player, one middle-sized room with a button which would close it from the outside by the ward
    Overall the map should be optimized (it looks beautiful on the screen you posted, but I already suspect it could eat up player's FPS, imagine adding there 2-3 LAATs, some textscreens and 20 players, would it work fine on the old i3+4/8gb ram?) and crowded, means it would be cool to have some big places (like briefing, hangar or training room) but not too huge so with 50 players it wouldn't feel abandoned. Also on your acclamator doors killed players and the elevators only took up 1 player, so it was impossible to fully operate the ship; venator's v3 elevator do the work fine.
    The huge issue about current venator is that there are no signs of map's end meaning it's very hard to fly because you never know when you reach map's end.
    the Planet below has a bunch of Skins to make it look like youre in different systems and only coruscant really fits the skybox.
    You mean it's possible to change skybox ingame? That would be brilliant for events!

27. Post #27
    October 2015
    147 Posts
    [...] Firstly, the water takes a lot of FPS, then it appears there aren't enough areaportals to prevent the map from rendering as a whole (thus decreasing perfomance), each asteroid takes a lot also, they are too many.
    I said this too many times now :D the water is just a bunch of models with a scrolling texture... there is close to NO change when removing it. Just because it looks complex it doesnt mean that it impacts performance. same goes for the asteroids.
    But in general yes its not easy on some pcs. Since Source doesnt like organic shapes this map was a bitch to optimaze. Its still not well optimized I know :P
    The new Venator will be way easier to optimaze.
    The acclamator's hangar is too small to contain single LAAT or smaller ship, like eta2.
    New Hangars are MASSIVE dont worry
    Making new map (or editing existed ones) is in our todo list, so I just put here our tech project with small commentaries regarding your maps:
    Just to be clear. Editing, Copying or reuploading any parts of my map is not allowed and doing so anyways will result in an imedate DMCA.
    - Training room
    It should be big and balanced for PvP mostly (autospawn for NPC isn't needed, it could be done through lua with less perfomance issues),
    Also covered in the new map
    - Main hangar
    Big hangar (unlike what you did with acclamator, soz) which would easily contain 4-6 LAAT's, with big hangar doors through which said LAATs (or droid ships!) could fly. Should be opened&closed from the control room (buttons)
    - Barracks
    Close to each other in order to be a crowding place. But not too close - or voices would come through the walls.
    - Huge briefing room (though your hangar could be used for this) to contain all the legions (~80-90 players at same place)
    - Smaller briefing room for legion commanders (10-15 players), no chairs needed - they could be added later, never knows how many you would need
    - a small jail: no need for different rooms for each player, one middle-sized room with a button which would close it from the outside by the ward
    Overall the map should be optimized (it looks beautiful on the screen you posted, but I already suspect it could eat up player's FPS, imagine adding there 2-3 LAATs, some textscreens and 20 players, would it work fine on the old i3+4/8gb ram?) and crowded, means it would be cool to have some big places (like briefing, hangar or training room) but not too huge so with 50 players it wouldn't feel abandoned. Also on your acclamator doors killed players and the elevators only took up 1 player, so it was impossible to fully operate the ship; venator's v3 elevator do the work fine.
    The huge issue about current venator is that there are no signs of map's end meaning it's very hard to fly because you never know when you reach map's end.
    I would say 2gb of RAM will be too little. I am mapping for the somewhat upper average pc so my maps will still hold up in a few years. The map will be well sized I have a community helping me get everything right.
    The skybox limit is a problem yes. But having any sort of hint where that "wall" is proved to be not solvable so far.
    You mean it's possible to change skybox ingame? That would be brilliant for events!
    Yeah pretty much. But its more a model in the 3d skybox than the skybox texture. so the sky will still look the same but the planet surface will look different.

Thanks for that massive reply :)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    105 Posts
    Just to be clear. Editing, Copying or reuploading any parts of my map is not allowed and doing so anyways will result in an imedate DMCA.
    I hope you made everything yourself having said that. The textures look like they are from Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy. If those textures/misc are copyrighted somewhere else and you try to file a DMCA your the one at risk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    October 2015
    147 Posts
    I hope you made everything yourself having said that. The textures look like they are from Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy. If those textures/misc are copyrighted somewhere else and you try to file a DMCA your the one at risk.
    Willing to take that risk. For now I will leave it as is. Slowly replacing textures with my own.
    Filed a couple dmcas because of my Kamino map and that didn't seem like any trouble.

Didn't you port from majora's mask? Did you have any problems ?

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    105 Posts
    Willing to take that risk. For now I will leave it as is. Slowly replacing textures with my own.
    Filed a couple dmcas because of my Kamino map and that didn't seem like any trouble.

I haven't had any problems. I haven't uploaded anything to the workshop and Nintendo is credited for the assets. The risk for me is very low. In fact I'm not even the one who uploaded the file to the link I'm sharing. I try to be as safe as possible.

31. Post #31
    October 2012
    9 Posts

You are clueless. Even if you used all original textures, you are marketing, promoting, and basing this map off a copyrighted property of Disney. You have zero, legal claim over the Star Wars property, and therefore have no legal ground to file a DMCA for this map.

You got away with it with Kamino because those people you filed against were just as clueless as you. They could have filed a counter-claim, which would have left you with no option but to file a lawsuit, a lawsuit that would have been thrown (or laughed) out of court, because again, you are not Disney.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    August 2009
    649 Posts
    He utilizes textures from those games though. See his Kamino description.

You are clueless. Even if you used all original textures, you are marketing, promoting, and basing this map off a copyrighted property of Disney. You have zero, legal claim over the Star Wars property, and therefore have no legal ground to file a DMCA for this map.

You got away with it with Kamino because those people you filed against were just as clueless as you. They could have filed a counter-claim, which would have left you with no option but to file a lawsuit, a lawsuit that would have been thrown (or laughed) out of court, because again, you are not Disney.
    He actually filed DMCA against me for that same thing. Had a whole report for it. I laughed at it because he claimed that his content was all his even though it literally stated in his Kamino description that he was using Disney Interactive's assets. He removed me when I proved my point and I had contacted Robotboy about it, but it seems like they honestly don't care unless it's a Valve game.

<Insert Map Photos Here>
    It looks nice, but prepare yourself for a billion DMCAs for "your content". Keep going with this, a lot of people are raving about it in the SWRP community like it's some secret project.

33. Post #33
    January 2010
    471 Posts
    There are some custom textures in the Kamino map that I made. But KingPommes has my permission to use them.

I'm not sure if I agree with using actual DMCA takedowns. Since it's technically fanart that might be a bit iffy.
    But if KingPommes makes it clear he doesn't want people to edit the map. I think that people should respect those wishes and ask for permission if they do want to edit it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)