1. Post #1681
    Gold Member

August 2011
    3,915 Posts

Skyrim isn't more 'realistic' than oblivion or morrowind. The only thing indicative of that is better graphics. Morrowind might have mushroom towers, fancy robes, and crazy bonemould pauldrons, but they had a logic to them. They're consistent with the world. You don't know much about the finer workings of mushroom towers, but you can suspend your disbelief because A: You don't know the material's properties and B: They were made by wizards anyway. Skyrim inverts that, yeah, it's closer to reality that buildings X and Y are made of stone, but X would fall appart if it was normal stone and built that way, and Y should be in a better state of repair if it's in use. There's a key difference here, and it's there for a lot of things: weapons, armour, clothes. Morrowind designs are more fantastical, but skyrim designs are more often less likely to work. It's skyrim that has the revealing leather, the studded leather, the too-fat swords, the metal bows, and the helmets that are smaller than your head(and the flexible metal armours, but that's a graphical thing) Morrowind and oblivion has it's share (the mauls for hammers)but the offender is skyrim, with it's more 'realistic' rendering.

also TES does deal with rape and genocide. Everything Molag Baal does for one, The falmer (dwemer?) and Ayleids for another.

Other than these areas where I have suggested you are wrong, I agree with you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1682
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,033 Posts
    I think a huge problem with Skyrim is that it lacks the weird factor that the previous games have.

Morrowind works by overwhelming the player with new information by kicking them into a wholly unfamiliar world. The fact practically everyone defines the game's art direction as "alien" goes to show how well that strategy worked.

Oblivion builds a very striking contrast between the overly whimsical, calming and comforting Cyrodiil and the oppressive, brutal and unforgiving plane of Oblivion.

Skyrim... doesn't have shit, really. Its world is all too familiar to have Morrowind's kind of "what the fuck is this" atmosphere, but there's no sudden sucker punch like what Oblivion does to surprise the player with brutal, unannounced tonal shifts or such things.

Well, there are some, but they basically amount to the Daedric Quests and that's your lot. While one could argue that this was inevitable by putting the game in Skyrim, I think it would be a disservice to the kind of eldritch mindfuckery that goes on in that region in the lore, which is barely explored within the world. The Reach is the closest one can get to really seeing bad shit happen and it's too sparse and too limited to really leave a lasting impact.
    It doesn't help that Skyrim's color palette is perpetually washed out, regardless of where you are. The game seems to practice the art of "making things grey makes them look cold" and this is basically the extent of their method of making Skyrim look artistically distinct from Oblivion. There's very few towns that have a Nordic style that follows lore or even takes significant real life inspiration. Whiterun is one of the few examples, but even that is limited, and they really pushed Whiterun as being the example of their work in Skyrim, when it's one of the few cities that even feel culturally Nord; it is an exemption to the rule, not an example of it.

Skyrim's world feels less inviting, as I imagine is intended, but isn't made foreign or unique enough like Morrowind so as to make up for that. Oblivion's terrain was, for the most part, relatively boring and procedurally generated, but bright colors, familiar fauna and flora, and a comfortable atmosphere were enough to bring people into the whimsical world and inspire their desire to explore. In Morrowind, the world was far less inviting; it was almost scary, alien, surreal even. Though it was this extreme exotic world that inspired the desire to explore; it was so different from the norm that the nearly creepy environment actually became alluring, such as in the case as Planescape: Torment.

With Skyrim however, it was neither heartwarmingly charming, nor was it mindbogglingly unconventional. It was this sickly grey middle-ground. Not unique enough to stand out amongst the crowd of fantasy RPG worlds, but not pleasant enough to feel comfortable and inviting. Bethesda of course does well with creating interesting locales, but beyond that, down in the core of the world, Skyrim was always lacking in the same depth as Morrowind, and just did not have the cozy appeal of Oblivion's fantastical Lord of the Rings inspired European world.

Even just the colors tell so much; whether you'd rather explore A ...

... or B.

Skyrim isn't more 'realistic' than oblivion or morrowind. The only thing indicative of that is better graphics. Morrowind might have mushroom towers, fancy robes, and crazy bonemould pauldrons, but they had a logic to them. They're consistent with the world. You don't know much about the finer workings of mushroom towers, but you can suspend your disbelief because A: You don't know the material's properties and B: They were made by wizards anyway. Skyrim inverts that, yeah, it's closer to reality that buildings X and Y are made of stone, but X would fall appart if it was normal stone and built that way, and Y should be in a better state of repair if it's in use. There's a key difference here, and it's there for a lot of things: weapons, armour, clothes. Morrowind designs are more fantastical, but skyrim designs are more often less likely to work. It's skyrim that has the revealing leather, the studded leather, the too-fat swords, the metal bows, and the helmets that are smaller than your head(and the flexible metal armours, but that's a graphical thing) Morrowind and oblivion has it's share (the mauls for hammers)but the offender is skyrim, with it's more 'realistic' rendering.

also TES does deal with rape and genocide. Everything Molag Baal does for one, The falmer (dwemer?) and Ayleids for another.

Other than these areas where I have suggested you are wrong, I agree with you.
    I mean, I don't necessarily mean Skyrim is "realistic" insofar as Morrowind doesn't have logic and reasoning behind its crazy world; the opposite actually. The depth that Morrowind has in its writing that allows you to be immersed in the world comes from the complexity of writing; Skyrim lacks that, and thus, makes up for it with a world that requires far less explanation. The world is realistic in that its far more like the real world, and thus requires less effort to make "immersive." It takes effort and writing to make silt striders seem both believable and captivating; it does not take much effort and writing to make horse-drawn carriages or wooden long-houses seem believable, though as I've said, you fundamentally lose out on making a captivating environment.

The realism, as I said in my post primarily using politicism as an example, works against Skyrim exactly because it isn't realistic enough to be believable, but not fantastical and complex enough to be intriguing.

Same with the Falmer, Forsworn, and Ayleids; they are nearly glossed over. I feel Skyrim, particularly because it was trying to be so morally grey and focus on the whole "cultural diffusion and loss of cultural identity" theme, could have put far more emphasis on both the Falmer and the Forsworn, but instead, they are merely left as minor devices for a quest or two and the implications of their existence is but to give a few more types of enemies to kill. The Forsworn particularly, a faction that could have been a far larger player in the overall conflict in Skyrim, and really added depth to the cultural interactions, are devolved into violent barbarians, just as Falmer were. Hell, Falmer were even worse offenders; they existed to replace goblins basically, but unlike goblins, Bethesda decided to remove even the most trivial social complexity that goblins had (tribes for instance) and just clump Falmer together as one ironically-homogeneous-yet-supposedly-barbaric collective of mindless enemies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #1683
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    25,639 Posts
    Option B actually looks like a pretty sicknasty Dark Souls location.

Although Dark Souls is supposed to feel decrepit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome France Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #1684
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,033 Posts
    Option B actually looks like a pretty sicknasty Dark Souls location.

Although Dark Souls is supposed to feel decrepit.
    but dark souls has cool unique crazy architecture

skyrim is a bunch of modular reused setpieces
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

5. Post #1685
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    11,486 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #1686
    KING
    of OVER – REACTING
    “No jokes allowed!!!”
    May 2009
    22,715 Posts
    Cover your eyes if you're offended by blasphemy.

Yes, this is Solstheim. I installed a Solstheim overhaul that makes all the ash parts completely fertile but I'm finding it ridiculous because a lot of the interiors have sections where everything is buried by fertile soil when it should just be ash.

I'm trying to remove the feeling of endgame depression from my game. It's a term that I just pulled out of my ass that describes the areas in games that most players go for when they dumped like 50 hours into a save file in an open world sandbox RPG. For Skyrim, It can be Solstheim or a Hearthfire house. For Oblivion, it can be the realm of Oblivion, Rockmilk cave, or The Shivering Isles. Solstheim is a terrible place to get endgame depression.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #1687
    Weakling Member
    August 2013
    2,355 Posts
    Pretty sure Skyrim was inspired a lot by Frank Frazetta paintings and Conan the Barbarian or just overall 70's Fantasy. There are plenty of things in the game that show that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #1688
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,033 Posts
    Pretty sure Skyrim was inspired a lot by Frank Frazetta paintings and Conan the Barbarian or just overall 70's Fantasy. There are plenty of things in the game that show that.
    Uh, like what? Skyrim's art style is obviously reflective of Nordic artwork in a very subtle way, but I hardly see much of "Conan" or "over sexualized naked women and brutish men" vibes going on, and Frank's work isn't exactly landscapes or flora. It's a stretch to see that connection other than Conan has furs and barbarians and so does Skyrim to a very minor extent but that's if only because they both pull from similar source material. Conan is far more based on Eastern European and Eurasian ancient history combined with European mythology and overt sexuality and Skyrim is totally Norse with no hint of sexuality, bare-chested men, or tigers and loincloths.

Skyrim's style of "barbarian" is one of more subtle realism; Conan, and 70s fantasy in general, revolved around fantastical male power fantasies. Men who, without nary but some cloth and furs and often hairless from face to foot, could be musclebound and save scantily clad princesses from decrepit old wizards using only brute force and strength of will. Frank Frazetta's artwork depicts that male power fantasy pretty well, as I said above, primarily pooling from Eurasian sources, such as Mongolian history, geography, animals, (snakes, tigers, etc.) and mixing in familiar European fantastical creatures such as centaurs, orcs, and dragons. Skyrim really doesn't have, well, any of this. No naked damsels, no nude men in loincloths with smooth faces, no dark brooding axe wielding horned horsemen, or even a majority of the animals Frank's art depicts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1689
    Weakling Member
    August 2013
    2,355 Posts
    Just look at the monster design in the game.

Skyrim's Nordic influences are barely there, they are way too twisted, in fact the way they reference Nordic culture is insulting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #1690
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,033 Posts

Skyrim's Nordic influences are barely there, they are way too twisted, in fact the way they reference Nordic culture is insulting.
    I mean, Skyrim's creatures consist mostly of European animals like wolves, bears, and horses, and creatures that have already been depicted in previous iterations similarly or identically to how they appear in Skyrim, such as mudcrabs, trolls, and skeletons. The few new creatures, primarily draugr and falmer, don't exactly look to be specifically similar to any of Frazetta's work. Draugr are emaciated zombies that could be based on any piece of fantasy or fiction, with the only standout feature being their armor, which is just the most basic stereotype of Norse armor possible; engraved with runes, with plenty of studs, horns, and loops/chain. Falmer are just literally goblins with generic "evil" armor with plenty of overlapping sharp points, coverings over the eyes, and black. The connection between Frank's work and Skyrim is probably less than the inspiration from Alan Lee or John Howe.

Edited:

I mean, for reference, Alan Lee's goblin artwork strikes more of a similarity to falmer armor than I think any of Frazetta's work does.

This similarity can further be chalked up to both Lee and the concept artists for Skyrim sourcing "bugs" and "exoskeletons" and "chitins" and such as ideas for armor sources for their creatures.

11. Post #1691
    Weakling Member
    August 2013
    2,355 Posts
    But I'm talking about the design, the way they look, act, I'm purely talking about the aesthetic, artistic side when comparing it to Frazetta or 70's Fantasy, even music in Skyrim reminds me of something that could be in Conan movies.

If you look at the Death Dealer painting, look at the proportions of that horse, heavy bulky, looks just like the ones in Skyrim

But what I'm talking about, they didn't exactly copy Frank Frazetta, they merely borrowed his design language.

12. Post #1692
    KING
    of OVER – REACTING
    “No jokes allowed!!!”
    May 2009
    22,715 Posts

They take parts of it. No culture in Skyrim is 1:1 with another culture in reality. They usually mash it with another culture.

Redguards = Arabians mixed with british pirates.
    Nords = Scandinavians mixed with Mayans.
    Argonians = Aztecans mixed with Polynesian culture.
    Orcs = Samurai mixed with Knights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1693
    Weakling Member
    August 2013
    2,355 Posts
    They take parts of it. No culture in Skyrim is 1:1 with another culture in reality. They usually mash it with another culture.

Redguards = Arabians mixed with british pirates.
    Nords = Scandinavians mixed with Mayans.
    Argonians = Aztecans mixed with Polynesian culture.
    Orcs = Samurai mixed with Knights.
    That makes sense now.

But I always thought the Orcs referenced Mongolia a bit more.

14. Post #1694
    KING
    of OVER – REACTING
    “No jokes allowed!!!”
    May 2009
    22,715 Posts
    That makes sense now.

But I always thought the Orcs referenced Mongolia a bit more.
    Earlier games like Oblivion they do. For whatever reason, Orc armor design is now Japanese.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #1695
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,033 Posts
    But I'm talking about the design, the way they look, act, I'm purely talking about the aesthetic, artistic side when comparing it to Frazetta or 70's Fantasy, even music in Skyrim reminds me of something that could be in Conan movies.
    Then, again, it's more a case of sourcing from similar base material than from one being inspired directly from the other. Conan's design, as is the design of most of Frazetta's work, and the fantasy of most 70s literature, is an over-saturated and incredibly simplistic form of binary fantasy. There are old wizard villains and muscly heroes saving a damsel in distress, who is often naked or partially naked, and will most definitely reward the hero with sex. The color schemes of most 70s fantasy artwork is incredibly bright, utilizing high contrast design with deep purples, vibrant reds, and a lot of orange/yellow. Nudity plays a major role in 70s fantasy, with the concept of "virginity and innocence" of women juxtaposing the overt violence and bloodiness of the actual world. Reason and logic take second place to sex appeal and power fantasy, and stereotypes take precedence over realism or historical accuracy. Being cool comes first, with complexity being a burden to imagination and tropey fun. Evildoers are almost always cloaked in dark colors, old frail fingers pointing out and casting some curse, and if a face is ever unhooded, it is going to be most definitely demonic or skeletal. As for music, it's all just generic orchestral adventure music, though Jeremy Soule's soundtracks are far more ambient and Celtic/English in influence than anything that's ever popped up in a Conan film, and Skyrim's only real similarity is the use of more percussion than previous soundtracks, and that's only because Skyrim is Norse inspired, and society connects Norse with percussive sounds the same way we do "barbarians" and percussive sounds.

Skyrim lacks all of these tropes. It's morality is far less simple, even if it is generic, and even then, the binary morality of Skyrim is found in every piece of fantasy, and 70s fiction's simplistic world view was sourced from Tolkien just as almost all fantasy is. Draugr are zombies, which I guess fits the "decrepit" thing, but again, so are most of the fantasy villains of any series, including, again, Tolkien's wraiths and wights, which were also sourced from Norse draugr; even so, Norse mythology actually includes these creatures so obviously Skyrim would make use of them, regardless of the 70s zombified villains trope. Lacking in Skyrim are any Eurasian creatures found as exotic animals in most 70s fiction, such as tigers and lions, and sexuality and nudity are nonexistent.

The similarities really end at "they have masculine cultures and villains."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #1696
    Weakling Member
    August 2013
    2,355 Posts
    I mentioned that it borrows/inspired, it doesn't exactly copy all the tropes from it, there are just influences, the fantasy themes from 70's evolved over the years too.

17. Post #1697
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,033 Posts
    If you look at the Death Dealer painting, look at the proportions of that horse, heavy bulky, looks just like the ones in Skyrim

But what I'm talking about, they didn't exactly copy Frank Frazetta, they merely borrowed his design language.
    Skyrim needed large horses that would look good with a heavily armored player on it, obviously they're going to go for the look of a Clydesdale horse, one that looks beefy enough to be a warhorse and also just "untamed" enough to fit Skyrim's rugged world. I don't think Franks work at all is an inspiration to Skyrim to any real extent. It's a common idea, big horse for big warriors; that's not unique to Frank Frazetta's work. Neither is horns on helmets or axes; those are common in Norse art and stereotypes respectively, and obviously Skyrim would utilize both horned helmets and axes for that reason, not because of one piece of Frazetta work among thousands that incorporate elements not seen in Skyrim like chain mail bikinis.

Edited:

I think Skyrim concept artists are far more likely to look at, you know, real life beefy horses rather than one artist's work; Frank's horse isn't beefy because of his artstyle, its because he, like Skyrim's artists, wanted a horse that seemed logical for a heavily armored rider. I see no connection between Frank's art that shows through more than a regular photo of a large horse and Skyrim's horse.

18. Post #1698
    Weakling Member
    August 2013
    2,355 Posts
    I said it's inspired by the design language, that design language also had a beginning somewhere, it doesn't just come out of the thin air, if they lay it down they will reference Frazetta because he is the god father of that style, he's most commonly known for that, and he has created enough artistic material that it's easily referenced to him, people look first at their influences then they look at the real life material and similarities. If you look down through what concept designers do then you will realize that.

19. Post #1699
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,033 Posts
    I said it's inspired by the design language, that design language also had a beginning somewhere, it doesn't just come out of the thin air, if they lay it down they will reference Frazetta because he is the god father of that style, he's most commonly known for that, and he has created enough artistic material that it's easily referenced to him, people look first at their influences then they look at the real life material and similarities. If you look down through what concept designers do then you will realize that.
    And Frazetta was likely inspired by Burian. His helmeted warriors are most definitely inspired by Doepler's horned helmet from Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen since horned helmets just didn't exist in any reasonable capacity that Frazetta would've been otherwise exposed to the idea.

It's impossible to know whether Skyrim looked at Frank's work, or a work that was inspired by Frank's work, or a work inspired by a work inspired by Frank's work. The fact is, somewhere down the long line of "subconscious inspiration and social influence," Frank's work may or may not have been someone's inspiration and that work may have inspired some of Skyrim's work; maybe some coloration in one drawing inspired a drawing John Howe did and Skyrim sourced that. It's all convoluted.

The fact is, very little of Frank's art directly shares similarities with anything found in Skyrim to any extent greater than can be chalked up to coincidence or sourcing from the same original works, be that the original historical finding's or from social works like Wagner's piece. Should we list Doepler and Burian as sources for Skyrim? Fact is, directly at least, most of the art direction seems to be identical to Oblivion, with some Norse inspiration fit to Oblivion's pre-existing art direction, and some generic fantasy material popularized by thousands of artists, though also found in a certain film trilogy whose concept artists, John Howe and Alan Lee, drew up some concept art that does indeed share direct similarities to Skyrim's artwork, and I'm apt to believe that concept artists in 2011 are likely to source from the most recent twists on the original ideas than trudging through outdated fantasy ideas that don't really fit the tone of Skyrim and have evolved to be a bit more mature and not intrinsically designed to turn on teen boys.

20. Post #1700
    Weakling Member
    August 2013
    2,355 Posts
    My only biggest gripe with how Nordic culture is referenced in Skyrim is how they made it to look really gritty and poor just because war, I mean Eastern and Scandinavian cultures used to be pretty vibrant and colourful, despite wars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #1701
    KING
    of OVER – REACTING
    “No jokes allowed!!!”
    May 2009
    22,715 Posts
    This speaks to the feminist "men are beasts" side of me.

22. Post #1702
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,033 Posts
    My only biggest gripe with how Nordic culture is referenced in Skyrim is how they made it to look really gritty and poor just because war, I mean Eastern and Scandinavian cultures used to be pretty vibrant and colourful, despite wars.
    I think that mostly comes down to Skyrim being developed during the time when grey was the de facto artstyle of video games and they were trying to display certain cities as war-torn. Whiterun wasn't gritty or poor, it was just "rural," but it was also not affected by the war yet. Falkreath and Dawnstar similarly were pretty clean, just rural. Riften and Markarth and both corrupt and poverty stricken, so their grittiness is more due to being like Detroit than being war-torn. Morthal is boggy, so nasty just due to that, and Windhelm and Solitude are their respective faction bases, so their war problems needed to be highlighted with some obvious differences from the other cities.

Edited:

This speaks to the feminist "men are beasts" side of me.
    its funny because frank took this basic premise and flipped it on its head because his love of tits and fascination with male power fantasy (wild animals like tigers and cheetahs and bare chested men particularly) blinded him to the actual message behind the art piece, so most of his stuff is just

23. Post #1703
    Weakling Member
    August 2013
    2,355 Posts
    I remember watching a video once explaining that darker, grittier games are cheaper to produce than more colourful games. The choices they made with this are mostly budget influenced.

Solitude should have been crazy vibrant for being the capital city which also has access to docks which means more travellers.

24. Post #1704
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,033 Posts
    I remember watching a video once explaining that darker, grittier games are cheaper to produce than more colourful games. The choices they made with this are mostly budget influenced.

Solitude should have been crazy vibrant for being the capital city which also has access to docks which means more travellers.
    I don't know if I buy that; Skyrim's budget was higher than Witcher 3's, though admittedly both had high budgets, and Witcher 3 came out with a map that looked like this:

And charged $15 for a map about a quarter the size of Skyrim with the same amount of content as the Skyrim main quest, (30 hours) and all as DLC.

Fact is Bethesda cared more about fitting into the most profitable demographic at the time rather than creating a unique landscape, and thought gray was more interesting than color. They did the same with Fallout 3 and green and New Vegas and orange. Green for radiation, orange for desert, and grey for cold. Their concept artists are fine, but they either don't want to Kirkbridge it up and go as extreme as the artwork because they fear losing out on sales due to the weird art, or want to save money and put it to use hiring two AAA voice actors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

25. Post #1705
    Weakling Member
    August 2013
    2,355 Posts
    Witcher 3 has a way better engine than Skyrim, technological margin is wider, Skyrim's engine is way outdated beyond what they could have done.

26. Post #1706
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,033 Posts
    skyrim after some ENB color changes:

so nah, it was a (poor) artistic choice and color saturation doesn't affect game performance

plus ENBs have already provided a better looking game with little performance impact without being built into the engine so involving greater overhead than if bethesda incorporated at launch; imagine if they just, you know, made the original textures with being colorful in mind

not to mention Skyrim Special Edition and Fallout 4 are on the same engine and Fallout 4 was colorful and had the same engine and budget

27. Post #1707
    Weakling Member
    August 2013
    2,355 Posts
    It's less about the performance.

Colourful games require more choices regarding direction, assets need more changes and tweaks to fit with everything else, with older engines it's harder, in new engines material editors allows you to tweak things on the run.

Fallout 4 added some new functionalities, that's what allowed them to make it more colourful not to mention they added PBR system.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #1708

September 2013
    1,192 Posts
    Cover your eyes if you're offended by blasphemy.

Yes, this is Solstheim. I installed a Solstheim overhaul that makes all the ash parts completely fertile but I'm finding it ridiculous because a lot of the interiors have sections where everything is buried by fertile soil when it should just be ash.

I'm trying to remove the feeling of endgame depression from my game. It's a term that I just pulled out of my ass that describes the areas in games that most players go for when they dumped like 50 hours into a save file in an open world sandbox RPG. For Skyrim, It can be Solstheim or a Hearthfire house. For Oblivion, it can be the realm of Oblivion, Rockmilk cave, or The Shivering Isles. Solstheim is a terrible place to get endgame depression.
    Tbh Endgame depression is one of the most fucking apt terms i've ever read.

Thank you for coming up with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

29. Post #1709
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    13,918 Posts
    I don't know if I buy that; Skyrim's budget was higher than Witcher 3's, though admittedly both had high budgets, and Witcher 3 came out with a map that looked like this:

And charged $15 for a map about a quarter the size of Skyrim with the same amount of content as the Skyrim main quest, (30 hours) and all as DLC.

Fact is Bethesda cared more about fitting into the most profitable demographic at the time rather than creating a unique landscape, and thought gray was more interesting than color. They did the same with Fallout 3 and green and New Vegas and orange. Green for radiation, orange for desert, and grey for cold. Their concept artists are fine, but they either don't want to Kirkbridge it up and go as extreme as the artwork because they fear losing out on sales due to the weird art, or want to save money and put it to use hiring two AAA voice actors.
    You need to remember that CDPR are Slavic wizards. You can't compete.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

30. Post #1710
    Weakling Member
    August 2013
    2,355 Posts
    You need to remember that CDPR are Slavic wizards. You can't compete.
    They worked really hard on TW3, we should be able to appreciate that more. CDPR is a cool studio and all from our Gamer perspective, but imagine working in a studio that pays you average and constantly on crunch.

31. Post #1711
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) rip $5
    Dennab
    December 2009
    9,067 Posts
    I saw a skyrim video a few years back where someone had installed like all porn mods. I think it was posted here on fp, anyone know where to find it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

32. Post #1712
    September 2012
    4,307 Posts
    I saw a skyrim video a few years back where someone had installed like all porn mods. I think it was posted here on fp, anyone know where to find it?
    "All"

See now, that sounds impressive, I can only imagine just how fucked up that Skyrim would be.

33. Post #1713
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) rip $5
    Dennab
    December 2009
    9,067 Posts
    "All"

See now, that sounds impressive, I can only imagine just how fucked up that Skyrim would be.
    I think his character got raped by a chaurus and laid its eggs.

34. Post #1714
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    7,480 Posts
    Tit magic.

35. Post #1715
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,814 Posts
    summond again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

36. Post #1716
    Ott
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    5,727 Posts
    Was that Ganerumo?

Edited:

Either him or Maverick

37. Post #1717
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,814 Posts
    Was that Ganerumo?

Edited:

Either him or Maverick
    it was ganerumo i dont have recording software

38. Post #1718
    I'm a very kind and awesome person!
    June 2010
    11,235 Posts
    Pretty sure it was Zhakaron with the Offensive Skyrim run? Think he deleted all of the videos though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #1719
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,335 Posts
    it was ganerumo i dont have recording software
    Yeah I remember, didn't he post a full album on IMGUR retelling the whole experience? It was something.

40. Post #1720
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,300 Posts

I had to make it in black and white because color is expensive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 6Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)