1. Post #2481
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    9,340 Posts
    It's hard to articulate, but Stormcasts appear decidedly inhuman compared to high fantasy knights or space marines. They remind me more of automatons than people, as opposed to similarly armored chaos warriors. It's the 40K effect, where a somewhat generic concept feels profound when placed in a different context (elves in space, orcs in space, robots fighting vikings, etc.)

Empire actually look human, as they're meant to. They're just dudes in period garb. Obvious graphics aside, I'd believe you if you showed me a screenshot of TW Warhammer and said it was The Witcher. They're a fine faction, but the wrong pick for the poster boys of a franchise.
    You do realize that in terms of appearance they're basically just humans wearing full plate armour, right? That's a helmet, that's not what they look like. They're (presumably) extremely well-muscled, religious high-fantasy knights in Gold armour with a face-shaped mask/helmet, which other than the face-shaped mask is extremely common in fantasy settings.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

2. Post #2482
    Corgi Enthusiast
    June 2009
    1,284 Posts
    AoS is just boring to me aesthetic-wise. It's lacking the warhammer-y quirkiness that made Fantasy special. Just feels soulless. There's no humanity to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

3. Post #2483
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,676 Posts
    You're talking lore, I'm talking aesthetic. Stormcast Eternals sport a more distinctive look than the Empire.

If more people thought differently, more people would have bought Empire models and maybe WFB would still be a range supported by GW. Clearly, that's not the way the cookie crumbled. More people are obviously looking at Sigmar kits, thinking they're cool, and buying them than they did for Fantasy.
    You're really oversimplifying it there. I'm not an expert on WHFB, but I know it required much larger armies and that meant a much larger monetary investment. That right there put a lot of people off. On top of that their kits didn't get updated to the degree that 40k ones did. I know a lot of kits that never changed from when I started playing 40k to when WHFB ended. To say WHFB could have survived if it had better aesthetics is to ignore much wider issues that it had. So don't try to use it to support your argument.

4. Post #2484
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,115 Posts
    To be honest, WHFB did not have poster boys
    Warriors of Chaos?

5. Post #2485
    Go make yourself a fucking waffle.
    April 2012
    7,261 Posts
    To be honest, WHFB did not have poster boys, which makes it superior to 40k smehreens wankery.
    it was basically empire vs chaos
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #2486
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,423 Posts
    So is there any decent way to remove bits attached with plastic glue short of breaking them off? A local player is offering me a Baneblade for $60 and the only catch is that it has been "Orkified" a bit.

7. Post #2487
    your all nerdes
    November 2007
    16,213 Posts
    nope, the glue physically melts the two pieces together so the only way to remove the parts is by breaking them off and you'll have to deal with the bubbly scarring underneath afterwards
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #2488
    July 2013
    1,065 Posts
    my brain is melting from painting yellow space marines. I sort of get the gist, but it is still pretty mind boggling and I have trouble not making it look like shit.

9. Post #2489
    your all nerdes
    November 2007
    16,213 Posts
    and here I am thinking some yellow space marines would be a nice relaxing break from what I'm doing now

don't do camo kids, it eats your soul

10. Post #2490
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    5,104 Posts
    but overall the AoS range appears comparably inflexible.
    You lack creativity and drive

Awesome people will make awesome things

Edited:

So is there any decent way to remove bits attached with plastic glue short of breaking them off? A local player is offering me a Baneblade for $60 and the only catch is that it has been "Orkified" a bit.
    nope, the glue physically melts the two pieces together so the only way to remove the parts is by breaking them off and you'll have to deal with the bubbly scarring underneath afterwards
    Freeze the model and then break the joint. Cold plastic is brittle and easily broken, you'll break plastic around the bond.

It works for sure, just be careful about spindly bits because they will break extremely easily.

I mostly use this to remove arms from anything terminator size and up, works great on tyranid big bugs and dreadnoughts.

Space marines work too depending on the space marine, the less bits the better, a normal tactical is one of the most durable plastic models in the world, so feel free to freeze these suckers and bust off their arms if you need to.

Be wary of iron halos, parchment, rope detailing, CSM trophies/spikes

Since it's a baneblade your best bet is to talk him down in price and then battlescar anywhere the shape of the tank gets so messed up that you can't file/liquid greenstuff/spackle smooth

11. Post #2491
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,423 Posts
    The only real major thing on it is a set of exhaust on the rear of the tank. Other than that it's just an ork boy on top and some random ork icons.

12. Post #2492
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    5,104 Posts
    You're really oversimplifying it there. I'm not an expert on WHFB, but I know it required much larger armies and that meant a much larger monetary investment. That right there put a lot of people off. On top of that their kits didn't get updated to the degree that 40k ones did. I know a lot of kits that never changed from when I started playing 40k to when WHFB ended. To say WHFB could have survived if it had better aesthetics is to ignore much wider issues that it had. So don't try to use it to support your argument.
    Actually, back when in the day in north america 40k tourney standard was 2k (probably still is in some places, as opposed to 1850 we have today) which meant that a tourney WHFB ended up costing the same dollar wise as a 40k army.

It DID require a lot more painting, after all 25% of your army had to be core, which could mean painting 200 skaven slaves before you get to paint anything fun.

Which is in itself an internet hyperbole, you could plan your 2500 point list, and then build up to it in increments of 250, 500, 1000, w/e, however you wanted to work up to a fully painted blob (or pushing around grey plastic like most clubs end up doing anyways).

It's semantics though, we're just about two years out and GW seems really happy with AoS. It's better than axing the entire product line imo.

Edited:

The only real major thing on it is a set of exhaust on the rear of the tank. Other than that it's just an ork boy on top and some random ork icons.
    Sounds like he didn't even try to orkify it, should be no problem for your trusty hobby knife and file set. If you're open minded you might even consider GW's mold-line remover tool, before you excommunicate me because it's "just an over priced lump of metal" hear me out for a moment.

The mold-line remover tool is actually really good at scraping detail off, I've used it to scrape dark angel storm shields flat along with the grim reapers off of two nephilim jet fighters and some iconography off some deathwing terminators.

I could've used a knife, or my files, but the mold-line tool was considerably faster than by knife and I didn't have my files on hand, basically I used clippers to remove as much as I could and then I just put the bit on my thigh and scraped like mad.

With a knife this particular technique would carve up your thigh, but since it's a lump of metal I didn't cut myself at all.

Ironically I hate the thing for removing mold lines, I'll take a knife any day, but I do like it for mass removing problem areas (ie orky masks glued onto flat places)

13. Post #2493
    Gold Member

August 2008
    3,554 Posts
    ....Yes??? Like you said, Empire models could be used as HRE models and Bretonnians for French. In other words, not distinct from historical figures. Closest visual analogue I can think of for Stormcast Eternals in media are the Dwemer from TES. In other words, very distinct from anything rooted in reality, or fantasy for that matter.

lol I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that AoS is clearly more unique and is selling more as a result.

just like the HRE had
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Ireland Show Events Zing Zing x 3 (list)

14. Post #2494
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    3,654 Posts
    Anyone know how Total War Access works? I signed up for it so I could get access to the Bretonnia DLC early, but it's not working. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. It'll be available for download a little later today.

15. Post #2495
    werewolf and flames are cool guys
    December 2011
    8,489 Posts
    I'm so fucking digging Total War: Warhammer, but I feel like it would be cheaper doing WW1 motives instead of Warhammer series

16. Post #2496
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    3,654 Posts
    Got Bretonnia early access, now it won't install because CA are having technical issues.

God dammit.

17. Post #2497
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,500 Posts
    Got Bretonnia early access, now it won't install because CA are having technical issues.

God dammit.
    Is this why whatever the update is, is trying to re-download the entire size of the game? I wondered why the update said it required 2gb which I have and refused saying there wasn't enough size.

I restarted steam to see the actual patch is like 34gb or something.

18. Post #2498
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    3,654 Posts
    Nah, it's not that. I downloaded the 2gb patch and then redeemed the code from Total War Access. Now the new Bretonnia pack won't actually install, however.

19. Post #2499
    January 2012
    1,945 Posts
    Anyone knows if they'll add Lizardfolk to TW:WH?

20. Post #2500
    your all nerdes
    November 2007
    16,213 Posts
    not until the second or third actual game in the series most likely, as adding lizardmen right now would be the equivalent of adding the entirety of south america to a game focused on europe and north africa

21. Post #2501
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    3,654 Posts
    Pretty much. My theory is that the second game (which is currently in production) will focus on the New World and possibly combine it with the first game (somehow; it'd feel a little strange if we would never be able to have High Elves battle it out against Vampire Counts, as an example), while the third game might be set in Age of Sigmar.

22. Post #2502
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,275 Posts
    while the third game might be set in Age of Sigmar.
    I don't think they will touch age of sigmar considering they said they wouldn't even go into the end times. Plus from what I know about age of sigmar it wouldn't work as a campaign really due to everyone having their own dimension to fuck around in and most of the iconic characters are gone and/or renamed to something generic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #2503
    Pretty much. My theory is that the second game (which is currently in production) will focus on the New World and possibly combine it with the first game (somehow; it'd feel a little strange if we would never be able to have High Elves battle it out against Vampire Counts, as an example), while the third game might be set in Age of Sigmar.
    No, the DLC plans were leaked a while back and it seems like next xpack is high/dark elves to the west and tomb kings to the south while the third one will be lustria.