The Ancient World has returned!

Server IP: theancientworld.mcph.co

Visit the Blog: https://mctaw.wordpress.com/

Discord: https://discord.gg/f96Ckgp

World Map: http://mctaw.updog.co/

The Ancient World 1.10

The New Lands
    https://mctaw.wordpress.com/2016/10/26/the-new-lands/
    New lands have sprung up around the world. These include many of the new Biomes introduced to Minecraft over the last few years that weve missed out on. This means new mobs, blocks, items, & gameplay! Finally!

(an updated map revealing all new locations will be provided in a few weeks. Happy exploring!)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,744 Posts
    Can you give an approximation of how many "new lands" have been added?

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    Can you give an approximation of how many "new lands" have been added?
    Over a dozen new areas are coming.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    New & improved Dagon Fel. Just one of big changes on the server;

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    TAW is back online. Thank you for waiting.

6. Post #6

August 2012
    70 Posts
    Hello I would like to check out the server however I have been banned for the past 6 months by Meal. No reason for my ban to be so long for such a minor offence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    I'm sorry Jakeman I can't lift your ban right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8

August 2012
    70 Posts
    Understandable, just keep it in mind
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member

May 2011
    3,089 Posts
    You should either reduce the max power per player to 6, or adjust the penalty per death to like -4 eventually. (Should put a warning about it in the MOTD line before doing so for a while).

but 10 max power per player with -2 on death is pretty ridiculous.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    You should either reduce the max power per player to 6, or adjust the penalty per death to like -4 eventually. (Should put a warning about it in the MOTD line before doing so for a while).

but 10 max power per player with -2 on death is pretty ridiculous.
    It's been changed to -5 per death, to a minimum of -10 total power.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member

May 2011
    3,089 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12

August 2012
    70 Posts
    The Terth Mill revived. You people just can't stay away.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    new trailer dudes

14. Post #14
    Gold Member

May 2011
    3,089 Posts
    Whatever you did with the spawn rates can make it nearly unplayable in some scenarios in which the server struggles to update your client while it's trying to send continuous data on all the mobs in the area.

15. Post #15

August 2014
    13 Posts

Me and the Dwarves of Azangathol have established a small newbie area right off the boat at Orrostar! We've included a place for trees, wheat, sugarcane, sheep, and cows. Feel free to use it at will, as long as you make sure they're ready for the next player ;). Also, don't be afraid to PM me in game (XxOverAchieverxX) if you're in need of some better starting equipment!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    Whatever you did with the spawn rates can make it nearly unplayable in some scenarios in which the server struggles to update your client while it's trying to send continuous data on all the mobs in the area.
    a server ram upgrade might be what we need.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    Port Orange Market =Now Open=

There are 8 shops available for rent for only 1 Nether Quart a day, so be quick! You can rent a shop by simply right clicking its sign. Once rented, type /shop for setup instructions.

https://mctaw.wordpress.com/2016/11/...rket-now-open/

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    Towny (Poll)

Last week I proposed a switch from Factions to Towny. I have a few motivations for this. First of which, weve only used Towny once before on the server during Age of Orrostar. From memory, the plugin worked really well for that age. Secondly, there isnt too much right now to tell this age appart from previous ages. Sure, we have brand new lands to explore. But mechanically, we are still playing factions.

https://mctaw.wordpress.com/2016/11/04/towny-poll/

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,744 Posts
    Towny (Poll)

Last week I proposed a switch from Factions to Towny. I have a few motivations for this. First of which, weve only used Towny once before on the server during Age of Orrostar. From memory, the plugin worked really well for that age. Secondly, there isnt too much right now to tell this age appart from previous ages. Sure, we have brand new lands to explore. But mechanically, we are still playing factions.

https://mctaw.wordpress.com/2016/11/04/towny-poll/

Poll will say no but I still say yes either way maybe even as a trial for a week. Also wondering if mobs could be given a one for one quartz drop like how souls were? Or at least a little boost in mob drop rates of currency? Definitely enjoying playing with the new lands though! Maybe a future project should be fixing old areas biomes.

20. Post #20
    December 2013
    92 Posts
    mobs could be given a one for one quartz drop like how souls were? Or at least a little boost in mob drop rates of currency?
    I think this is a good idea. Not everyone has enough hard resources to convert to the server currency, and at the moment there are only two reasons people would even want to obtain currency in the first place (Ironheart plot rental and player shop transactions). Both of these have seen relatively little to no use, with my house being the only claim in Ironheart, and players seemingly preferring trading by word of mouth rather than chest shops.

I know that Drakortha has recently opened up a market in Port Orange so we might get to see an increase in player chest shop usage in the near future, but only time will tell.

An idea that might be worth consideration is the implementation of admin shops selling simple building blocks and possibly other resources as well (admin preference). This would give the server currency a more meaningful purpose, and in turn more incentive for players to use the currency in the first place.

If you disagree, let me know why. Thoughts on this are also welcome, of course.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,744 Posts
    I 200% agree with admin shop, but also include rarities for high prices like sponges, or prismarine crystals so as to drive the market even more.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    Port Orange Bank & Currency Shop

Today the Port Orange Currency Exchange has been converted into a Bank & Currency Shop.

https://mctaw.wordpress.com/2016/11/...currency-shop/

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    Port Orange Mall =Now Open=

The interior of the Pale Dragon Inn at Port Orange has been refurbished into a new community mall!

https://mctaw.wordpress.com/2016/11/...mall-now-open/

24. Post #24
    August 2010
    6,233 Posts
    What is this server all about? I can't find a description or statement about it anywhere on the blog.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,744 Posts
    What is this server all about? I can't find a description or statement about it anywhere on the blog.
    Hard to explain, but most of it is building how you please, the map dates back to alpha and is as old as 2b2t's (VERY VERY OLD Minecraft server that has never changed maps)

Gameplay wise there is a currency system, some roleplay but never is it required, events created by the admin Drakortha (these events are the only way to get rare items), Factions for item/build protection, and there is a pretty solid community of regulars that are always about and unlike most servers the older players are always willing to help. There are rules as well and they are enforced fairly well across the board so you don't have to worry about having a build griefed.

If you want a better understanding I suggest just logging in (its on 1.10) and having a look around the spawn island, there are lots of signs detailing history and gameplay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    World Repairs Part 1 Biome Restoration

Work has started to restore Biomes all over The Ancient World. Deserts are now deserts again, snow mountains are snow mountains, and beaches are beaches.

https://mctaw.wordpress.com/2016/11/...e-restoration/

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    The implementation of Towny on the server has begun!

To create a new town, you will need 500 Nether Quartz. The current upkeep on towns is 5 Nether Quartz per chunk per day.

https://mctaw.wordpress.com/2016/11/10/towny-is-on/

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,744 Posts
    World Repairs Part 1 Biome Restoration

Work has started to restore Biomes all over The Ancient World. Deserts are now deserts again, snow mountains are snow mountains, and beaches are beaches.

https://mctaw.wordpress.com/2016/11/...e-restoration/

Yes this is what we've needed for so so long. Don't forget to make Sadrith a jungle and fix the oceans (eventually) I think once you have the biomes all set you should take a look at worldguards and maybe get rid of some of the insignificant ones or the worldguards that are redundant.

Also maybe adding region tags to the islands, such as how sadrith says "sadrith mora (no pvp)" when you enter it.

Getting way way ahead of myself but on topic of server overhauling and fixing up I'd love to see the square mainland coasts that are cookie cutter finally be addressed and somehow made more natural (maybe adding a beach line and smoothing? Or possibly some small coastal island chains and smoothing?) And I know you have loved the idea of keeping the new world separate but maybe it's time to add the new world to the map as an addition to the old mainland (I also know the perfect spot to put it and can show you) adding another area might seem odd but I assure you TNW would tie in super nicely to the current world.

Now before I annoy you (probably already have) with all these ideas Drak, one last one, I'd love to see a team assigned to a port orange overhaul, we have some very good builders. Why not make a contest and open entry to a few players and give each player entering a spot at the port to make a building or overhaul a building (looking at you abandoned houses and kindfellow bakery) you could set some basic rules, standards and a deadline for the contest and even have a quartz prize or rare item prize for top 3 with mods as the judges and at the end all new builds stay provided they are finished and of decent quality. You could make a fairly large deal out of the contest also, posting adverts about it and such, get people hyped to build and improve the spawn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    December 2013
    92 Posts
    quartz prize or rare item
    I'd do it for free. Assembling a TAW build team sounds like a good idea, though it might not be necessary.

As I've mentioned before, a creative server would allow everyone to mix ideas into the pot of consideration. Multiverse is probably the best bet for making this happen.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,744 Posts
    Friday means the weekends here and that means more rifts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    August 2014
    56 Posts
    my builds
    sorry for large

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    December 2013
    92 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    3,450 Posts
    bigass pictures
    Put [t(ag)][/t(ag)] around your images instead of [IMG][/IMG].

Edited:

Also, might I ask what texture pack it is that everyone on the server seems to be using?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Denmark Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

34. Post #34

August 2014
    13 Posts
    All of those pictures are using Conquest. Majority of the server either uses Conquest or John Smith, depending on which is more appealing to you.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    Support TAW & Get a Pet!

Pets are available to all players who support the server with a small donation.

https://mctaw.wordpress.com/2016/11/...taw-get-a-pet/

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    The Port Orange Redux Competition!

Hello everyone, I am very pleased to announce..

https://mctaw.wordpress.com/2016/11/...x-competition/

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    Earn Nether Quartz For Playing TAW This Weekend!

For This Weekend Only, all active players will be rewarded nether quartz (currency) for active play (afking will not count).

https://mctaw.wordpress.com/2016/11/...-this-weekend/

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,412 Posts
    The Port Orange Redux Competition Begins NOW!

https://mctaw.wordpress.com/2016/12/...on-begins-now/

39. Post #39
    August 2013
    450 Posts
    Oh man it's been forever since I played on this lovely server, god I forget which age I actually played on. As long as Archwind is still around I'm still happy. Hey, maybe my secret stash still exists. I should check around.

Update:
    Said Secret stash does exist, and the legendary Dirt Digger Diamond Shovel with it. Fortune has smiled upon me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    5,936 Posts
    Is this server dead?