1. Post #1
    April 2013
    9,483 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Romania Show Events Funny Funny x 42Late Late x 3Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Skate 3 glitch wizard
    September 2006
    4,391 Posts
    Expected to see Robin Hood take up 40% of the video
    Was not disappointed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 19Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    dunno why this is going around again. Same channel put it on YT last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbjVjZrrE3w
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    April 2013
    9,483 Posts
    dunno why this is going around again. Same channel put it on YT last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbjVjZrrE3w
    Oh woah I didn't know this, I just saw it trending on Reddit and enjoyed it.
    I'll edit the post to have the original Youtube upload instead.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    672 Posts
    I think they just have (had) a large library of film of people doing various movements and then used that to rotoscope the animation. Hence they probably even didn't think about it when taking same source film for doing those kind of choreographic actions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Ukraine Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

6. Post #6
    May 2015
    971 Posts
    Part 2:
        it's not like there was an annotation in part 1 or anything    
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    17,973 Posts
    I think they just have (had) a large library of film of people doing various movements and then used that to rotoscope the animation. Hence they probably even didn't think about it when taking same source film for doing those kind of choreographic actions.
    Considering one of the movies they recycled animation from was made in 1937 and they made Robin Hood 36 years later in 1973, it's entirely probable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2006
    5,015 Posts
    i sure as heck wouldnt want to have to redraw those every film
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,099 Posts
    i sure as heck wouldnt want to have to redraw those every film
    They still redrew it, just traced it over the sameness source video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    6,471 Posts
    Frame-by-frame animation is tedious as fuck, i don't blame them.

and no, this was probably all completely intentional. If you've got a source video of, say, "Boy climbing up and down hill, rocks," and you know you've used it to generate keyframes for a previous feature, then to copy and edit those keys is an easy go-to that could save weeks of work.
    It can also come in handy in a big way if the previous idea for a shot didn't work out and you need something to fill in time, as a patch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,874 Posts
    And they could get away with it too. It was before home video so the only time you ever saw them was in theaters or if it aired as a special on TV so few people would ever notice. Rotoscoping from their library makes sense. Also IIRC the 70's through mid-80's were a "rough" time for Disney so I'm sure budget was a concern.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

12. Post #12
    support my deus ex fanfiction
    November 2009
    3,656 Posts
    it also doesn't help that the shots are shot exactly the same in terms of how far the camera is from the frame and how it moves in the scene. it's definitely traced vs. just redrawing motions from the archives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    17,973 Posts
    What gets me is how the dancing ripped from Cinderella and Snow White is elegant and rambunctious in its own way which fits the setting, but then the main character and that fucking bear get involved and suddenly they're doing this jazzy dancing and style that doesn't really mesh well with the medieval styling attempts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2011
    2,522 Posts
    when I was younger i honestly thought that balloo from the jungle book and the bear in robin hood were the same character
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    April 2013
    1,571 Posts
    Its not that bad once you realize that most old animations begins with actors being rotoscoped first(for things like dancing or complex stuff) Maybe thats why old animation looks so smooth? Its like mocap for 2d.

also:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 21 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    2,376 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Taiwan Show Events Zing Zing x 12Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    2,003 Posts
    I personally don't think it hurts the movie in the long run, but when I first found out Robin Hood recycled so much animation I was very disappointed. Its always been one of my favorite Disney movies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Internet Explorer 11 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,466 Posts
    It's weird that they'd bother making an entire frame-by-frame movie and decide to save on making new choreographies, but I guess it was better than cutting corners on animation quality

Some of these just look so shameless though, not even an attempt to hide it and there's way too many for them to be just a nod to the other movies

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,925 Posts
    IIRC the reason they did this is because at the time, Disney was having financial problems. They did this to save money. Frankly, I don't blame them. It was expensive to film reference back then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    June 2014
    3,045 Posts
    What gets me is how the dancing ripped from Cinderella and Snow White is elegant and rambunctious in its own way which fits the setting, but then the main character and that fucking bear get involved and suddenly they're doing this jazzy dancing and style that doesn't really mesh well with the medieval styling attempts.
    I dunno, I thought Lady Marianne's dance looked much better than Snow White.
    To be fair, everything looks better than snow white, I always get Uncanny Valley chills when watching that movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Italy Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    2,003 Posts
    I dunno, I thought Lady Marianne's dance looked much better than Snow White.
    To be fair, everything looks better than snow white, I always get Uncanny Valley chills when watching that movie.
    I always loved the dwarfs, but found the other humans to be kinda creepy, even as a kid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Internet Explorer 11 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)