1. Post #481
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,693 Posts
    I'm no modeler, but wouldn't you want to make her hair as a mesh with a separate texture instead of making it part of her head model?

2. Post #482
    November 2012
    1,121 Posts
    Improved on the fake sub surface scattering. Looks way less shit now.

Without mock sss. With mock sss. Isolated mock sss.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Waterfox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

3. Post #483

January 2012
    1,471 Posts
    I'm no modeler, but wouldn't you want to make her hair as a mesh with a separate texture instead of making it part of her head model?
    It looks like a UV issue instead of just a hair texture

4. Post #484
    Metal Gear!
    July 2011
    5,056 Posts
    subsurface mockup
    so, how did you do it?
    if not with that fancy mesh stuff, it might be useful for other faces

5. Post #485
    November 2012
    1,121 Posts
    so, how did you do it?
    if not with that fancy mesh stuff, it might be useful for other faces
    I have bad news for you then. It's uses the colored specular method so flexes are out.

Well the ones on the doomguy one are deceptively simple; but only because I was running real tight on memory.
    There is a second face overtop masking the sss areas and tinted just above a near invisible blood red. I couldn't afford a second normalmap to invert the surface so instead I just flipped all the vertex normals without turning the faces.

Obviously since the vertexnormals are just inverted it really doesn't light all too well. Doesn't light from the sides but rather the back and is largely dependent on lights without shadows.
    I set it extremely dim but it is still clearly visible in bright lights because despite my best efforts it's drawing on top of the visor. The lack of ambient occlusion on subsurface bits also doesn't help either.

It's passable but just barely. I'm not all too happy with it but there really isn't anything I can do to fix it at the moment.

The imp also has sss but I had room for additional normalmaps this time. And as with getting anything in source to sort of work that means abusing some bug no one really knows about.
    The bug in question is with phong highlights. For future reference I haven't been able to recreate this bug in garrysmod.

So how this one works is on -Z normalmaps phong highlights become rings around the edge of a model. Much like just flipping the vertex normals it only lights from the back; but never center.
    Here's a double sided orb to show it.

Why I'm specifically uses stuff that messes with the edge of the model is largely because of unreal 4 sss. I could not find any documentation on how id software set up theirs so I'm going with what I do know.
    Unreal 4 sss works as an alteration of depth of field and is much stronger on grazing angles rather than surface perpendicular to your view. So I'm trying to copy that.

Sss also disables ambientocclusion wherever it draws to abide by the laws of physics.

*previously shown images*

Like the previous it still depends on the lights themselves and whether they permeate the model; although slightly less so as highlights do bleed around edges with this method.
    Plus it's not fighting with a visor so that helps.

6. Post #486

December 2016
    5 Posts
    damn. i wasn't sure that sss looked good. i had to try. hard to work with the noise outside. i made it tho. my firework. still fake tho.

edit: transparency. only alphatested ofc, or the shadow f*cks up.

the shadow blocking works pretty good. seems stable. i just painted a lil to much lit thru on the nose.

happy new year. everybody. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

7. Post #487
    January 2012
    1,514 Posts
    Needs some transparency.

8. Post #488
    April 2013
    200 Posts

Ryu from DOA5. so there's no full katana model...

1988 classic costume
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge Korea, Republic of Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

9. Post #489
    May 2010
    140 Posts
    Boredom has struck, and it has produced a recreation (as in FROM SCRATCH) model of Fi, which I have ported to Source Filmmaker. I hope that qualifies. :\

P.S. The render is in 2160p for those 4k pansies out there.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

10. Post #490
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,028 Posts

pokeymon

7MB render

Gave program-based mass porting a shot and came out with every NPC from Sun and Moon, all with a common IK rig and ready to go    as soon as all the translucency issues are sorted out   

Way off topic, but in lieu of using skingroups for tiled textures (eg. facial expressions), here's how to control $basetexturetransform through Override Materials in SFM:
    After adding override materials on your model, create a new matrix element under the material and name it $basetexturetransform
    Click the [...] button and you'll see the following transforms:

Row 1 column 1 controls the X scale, row 2 column 2 controls the Y scale, row 1 column 4 controls the X translation, and row 2 column 4 controls the Y translation, fairly straightforward.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

11. Post #491
    January 2012
    2,255 Posts
    Gave program-based mass porting a shot and came out with every NPC from Sun and Moon, all with a common IK rig and ready to go    as soon as all the translucency issues are sorted out   
    Impressive work you did there! This could potentially speed the Pokemon porting process to SFM significantly. Combine that with a collision hull maker script, this could also apply to GMOD as well. However, I do have a question for you. Does this program of yours work with the Pokemon themselves?

12. Post #492
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,028 Posts
    Impressive work you did there! This could potentially speed the Pokemon porting process to SFM significantly. Combine that with a collision hull maker script, this could also apply to GMOD as well. However, I do have a question for you. Does this program of yours work with the Pokemon themselves?
    Generating collision hulls would be a pretty difficult thing, but CSGO's hitbox capsules are a pretty good example of how it could be done.

As for the other question, somewhat: The program at the moment only works well on models with a relatively consistent base, which Pokemon themselves sadly aren't vv
    At the very worst, you'd end up with all the model work done and a lot of texture work to be done, so it's definitely something I want to look into.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Spain Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #493
    January 2012
    1,514 Posts
    The problem is that they all have different heights and proportions so each needs a separate hull.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Internet Explorer 11 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #494
    February 2012
    2,616 Posts

The glass is placeholder since I couldn't find the texture for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Belgium Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

15. Post #495
    January 2014
    146 Posts
    now YES looks like Maisie Williams :v

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 7Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

16. Post #496
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    14,455 Posts
    Send it to her Twitter so we can bet how fast she'll block you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Sweden Show Events Funny x 9Informative x 3Agree x 1Zing x 1Friendly x 1Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #497
    January 2014
    146 Posts
    Damn.

18. Post #498
    October 2012
    4,921 Posts
    Send it to her Twitter so we can bet how fast she'll block you.
    I don't get it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #499
    F T
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    12,400 Posts
    now YES looks like Maisie Williams :v

-NO-
    What are those dirty smears around the bottom of her neck?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #500
    January 2014
    146 Posts
    What are those dirty smears around the bottom of her neck?
    I will make it a survivor in L4D2, so, that dirty neck is confirmed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

21. Post #501
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    14,455 Posts
    I don't get it.
    She doesn't handle jokes and criticism on her social media very well and have often responded by calling people sexist (!) and said other whacky shit like "you're either a person or a sexist" before blocking them or going on a rant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Safari Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

22. Post #502
    April 2013
    200 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge Korea, Republic of Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

23. Post #503
    January 2015
    652 Posts
    She doesn't handle jokes and criticism on her social media very well and have often responded by calling people sexist (!) and said other whacky shit like "you're either a person or a sexist" before blocking them or going on a rant.
    to be fair she probably gets a ton of creepy shit, and it can be hard to sort out less offensive stuff from that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #504
    I love doge and other memes, please post them on my profile!!!
    June 2012
    10,372 Posts
    Doing the Orks from WH40K EC
    They have a fuck load of bodygroups, just showing the headgear and tooth varients, also colorable warepaint skin
    Works for both SFM and GMOD

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #505
    November 2012
    1,121 Posts
    Been a while since I've animated something incredibly unwieldy.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Waterfox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 7Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

26. Post #506

January 2012
    1,471 Posts

Really late. But they're pretty good compared to ones released imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #507
    I love doge and other memes, please post them on my profile!!!
    June 2012
    10,372 Posts
    Heck Knight
    Uses blues SSS and all that good shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

28. Post #508
    January 2012
    6 Posts
    Thanks to id-daemon's tool for MGSV animations , I started porting Snake's animations from MGSV over to Source. Currently, I have MGS1 and 2 Snake rigged to this skeleton

The MGS2 Snake model is also rigged to Valve Biped, and has some shoddy face flexes based off the ones from the HL2 citizens

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 4 (list)

29. Post #509
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    10,094 Posts
    Oh yes give me those cqc moves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

30. Post #510
    February 2012
    2,616 Posts

Only the church has an interior, the cathedral will be released with the interior pieces tho.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Belgium Show Events Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

31. Post #511
    February 2016
    290 Posts
    is that from BF1.?

32. Post #512
    February 2012
    2,616 Posts
    Everything is from Brothers in Arms : Hell's Highway, the cathedral is the Sint-Lambertus cathedral near Eindhoven in the Netherlands :

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Belgium Show Events Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #513
    January 2012
    1,514 Posts

Have been working on a gmod/sfm version of these guys. Ended up posting in the wrong thread by mistake, fixed now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Internet Explorer 11 Portugal Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #514
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    2,812 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #515

March 2016
    20 Posts
    WIP John Wick

Working on a model of ol' cool breeze as I've always hated the PD2 model's "likeness".
    How's it lookin'?
    Wow, the resemblance is really accurate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Netherlands Show Events Late Late x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #516
    July 2015
    182 Posts
    Artillery Luger from Verdun - In-Game Garry's Mod

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

37. Post #517

March 2016
    20 Posts

Great job everyone, keep rocking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #518
    July 2015
    182 Posts
    Original Lebel Texture from Verdun and new VMT.

(Old)

New
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #519
    July 2015
    182 Posts
    Muskets from War of Rights

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #520
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,826 Posts
    Muskets will be handy considering Joe ported those AC:IV and III models. Period weapons of higher quality were definitely needed!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)