1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    5,139 Posts

Franklin Delano Roosevelt once said that the only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Now an eternally vengeful and equally deadly poltergeist, Roosevelt has since gone back on his word to haunt the American people every October 31st! Now recognized as Halloween, this date marks the time where all ghosts, ghouls, critters and creeps crawl out of the woodwork to strike fear into the hearts and souls of every living mortal unlucky enough to be spooked - and now, itís your turn to do the spooking!

Yes, itís that time of the year again! The time of tricks and treats is upon us, and itís all on you to make it the best it can be! Whether youíre a cosmetic creator, a map-making madman, particle professional, or anything in between, you can send shivers down the spine of the TF2 community by taking part in this yearís Workshop of Horrors II!

If youíd like to participate, then look no further! But as we all know, the only thing scarier than Halloween is legal action and the lawyers that execute it - so weíre providing a brief set of guidelines and additional information to make sure everyone is on the same spooky page!

Of course, any and all submissions on the Steam Workshop using our provided thumbnail template [see below] will be featured in the official collection, unless your submission has any of the following problems:

- Your submission must not feature a doctored promotional thumbnail that appears vastly different from the actual appearance of the item. Paintover appearances are of course acceptable, but we discourage thumbnails that add anything to the item that isnít actually there. If your submission has this issue, we can always talk it out and later accept your submission if the proper changes are made.
    -- You also must be the true creator(s) of your submission. Blatant theft isnít as common as it used to be on the Workshop, but any submissions that are found to be stolen or use imagery made by unknowingly uncredited parties will be excluded from the collection.
    -- Any offensive imagery will be distanced from the collection. While that can be interpreted as subjective, we ask that contributors be respectful and use their best judgment. When in doubt, refer to Valveís own guidelines, found here.

- Any and all submissions should be submitted by October 20th, 2016! We can always add items to the collection after that date, but youíre more likely to have your work featured in promotional web assets if your work is on time. Ultimately, there is no true deadline, unless Valve sets one for their own Halloween event - in that case, we will abide by theirs.

- Submissions can be a cosmetic item, weapon, weapon skin, taunt, unusual effect, or map. If it can be uploaded to the Workshop, it can be added to our collection! We fully understand how much time it takes for some of those submissions, but we fully encourage you to pursue your dreams and submit whatever you please!

- Remember, be constructive with your criticism. Flaming and being rude is bannable!

Now that everyoneís caught up, hereís the official thumbnail template for this yearís submissions!

Click to Download
    [PSD and PNG variations available]

Still got questions? Well hey, donít be afraid, because we have even more answers!

Q. Is this official and/or endorsed by Valve?
    A. Nope! The Workshop of Horrors continues this year to be a community effort made to light the fire under the contributing community and get the ball rolling on Halloween submissions!

Q. Is this a community project like Frontline or any others?
    A. While the Workshop of Horrors is similar to those in that they have a collection and promotional webpage [in-development], it is much more so a community showcase than anything else. We also encourage you all to continue participating in the other active projects, as we in-no-way intend to step on any toes or halt production on any other projects!

Q. Will my work be made official if I submit to this project?
    A. As much as we hope for everyone to have their work go official, this is ultimately not up to us! We have no say in what is added to the game or not, weíre merely putting everything on a silver platter for Valve to choose from. The Workshop of Horrors is an equal-opportunity effort and will always stay as such!

Q. Iím new to content creation, but I want to take part! How can I learn?
    A. First off, if youíre new, welcome aboard! Second, there are plenty of resources out there for the inquisitive beginner, and we welcome and encourage any new talent! To start, we recommend looking over this handy collection of resources. If you have more questions about creating your content, you can always ask below - or look for help on one of the many websites revolving around TF2 content creation, such as TF2Maps!

Q. Can I submit work that Iíve made prior to this announcement?
    A. Of course! We encourage all sorts of work, new and old, as long as it uses this yearís thumbnail template!

Q. How can I make sure my item is featured in the collection?
    A. Weíll do routine checks of the workshop to make sure any and all items are added to the collection once itís established, but if youíre feeling that your submission was missed, please notify us in the thread!

Q. Who's working on this?
    A. Retro, Void, and Smashman, from last year's Workshop of Horrors and Workshop Wonderland, along with this year's Frontline! Community Project, will be returning!

Weíll be sure to update the OP with any new information as time goes on!

As scary as it sounds, thereís only 44 days Ďtil Halloween - so letís get spooky!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 33 (list)

2. Post #2
    December 2008
    176 Posts
    Oh boy, here we go again!

3. Post #3
    April 2016
    852 Posts
    ok cool i should toss out some halloween concepts some time

4. Post #4
    April 2013
    1,280 Posts
    Wow, this was the year of community projects I guess. Can't wait to see where this goes!

5. Post #5
    June 2015
    592 Posts
    I'm getting heck-a spooked

6. Post #6
    June 2014
    8,267 Posts
    Hard to get excited about these when such a tiny number of halloween items get added.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    5,139 Posts
    Hard to get excited about these when such a tiny number of halloween items get added.
    It's all still a matter of the community getting together to have fun, no matter what the end result is. It's fair to feel the way you do, and I'm sure others share those feelings, but as long as people persevere to keep making what they want to make and have fun doing it, they can be the change they want to see in the contributing world, and that's what matters in the end.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    November 2013
    1,624 Posts
    Another year another opportunity to be let down by valve
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 27Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    June 2016
    312 Posts
    Ah, it's that special time of the year again. Creepy, spooky, eldritch things wander the land of the living once more!

10. Post #10
    September 2012
    745 Posts
    Indeed. And while I'm no good at art, modeling, or the like, i can prehaps try to make some descriptions or propositions.

Madness Day is coming up soon too (sept 22), as is PN2 so i have an item or two in mind somewhat based off of it and a comic book of sorts. Also that old dumb grin is associated to. (which can probably be more inferred to 087-b with some altercations.) http://art.ngfiles.com/images/265000..._game-over.jpg https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...1a/Crossed.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Radaghast
    August 2013
    2,716 Posts

My current album.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome France Show Events Funny Funny x 9Artistic Artistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,467 Posts
    Hooray! Haven't hopped on a workshop project in a while, looking forward to whipping something up for this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Turkey Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    October 2014
    339 Posts
    Take a look

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPad Safari United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 7Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    February 2016
    655 Posts
    Some things I've done related to the project!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    ics
    May 2006
    502 Posts
    Last year my map was rejected from the workshop of horrors. So this year i thought i would start early and surprise everyone with something i've cooked up!

Available on Steam Workshop!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Finland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,755 Posts
    I may as well repost this concept from last year. In case someone wants to pick it up.

It's based on the Schattenjagers from the Gabriel Knight series, a sort of hunter of supernatural creatures - but it pretty much doubles as a 17th century pilgrim design. Might wanna change up the talisman design though - it's taken directly from the GK games here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    August 2013
    703 Posts
    planning on finally finishing this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Israel Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    October 2015
    227 Posts
    If anyone wants some SFM renders I'd be glad to give it a go!

20. Post #20
    Radaghast
    August 2013
    2,716 Posts

Droll Head Basher

Claimed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome France Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    October 2014
    1,615 Posts

Two concepts from the last year.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    November 2007
    659 Posts

Some old concepts from awhile back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    October 2014
    339 Posts
    The Spookful Spotlight's been unclaimed, so I redid it in case there are any new takers.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2015
    167 Posts
    My favorite time of year, time to make some unusuals :3

25. Post #25
    January 2016
    87 Posts
    Gotta move those bones up!

I am going to revive my old all-class submission for this years 'ween event. Looking for volunteers to texture some demonic jawbones.

26. Post #26
    June 2016
    127 Posts
    Another Update that valve is gonna ignore!

27. Post #27
    May 2015
    466 Posts
    The Spookful Spotlight's been unclaimed, so I redid it in case there are any new takers.

I'm so interested in this concept.

P.s. updated image of Bonus Duckmann
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=682301528

28. Post #28
    October 2014
    339 Posts
    Was there any news on whether this year's items will be restricted or not?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,313 Posts
    I'm going with the assumption they won't be restricted, but I feel like it could go either way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

30. Post #30
    April 2016
    1,492 Posts
    I'm going with the assumption they won't be restricted, but I feel like it could go either way
    I could understand that. It's best to wait till Valve says something perhaps before making any assuptions I guess?

31. Post #31
    October 2014
    1,615 Posts

All-class. Eats your head. Unclaimed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Czech Republic Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,379 Posts
    I'll whip up something for this yearly tradition, probably the annual attempt at pyro sugar skulls.

33. Post #33
    August 2013
    9,714 Posts
    Safest bet is unrestricted. Valve seems to be done with adding hoards of cosmetics (nowadays we're back to seeing the occasional handful of cosmetics rather than back when we'd see 30+ a crate). They also didn't restrict last year which is a good indicator they're probably moving past restrictions now that they have eternaween and too many restricted cosmetics already.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    October 2014
    339 Posts
    Well this is depressing, I've always found the restricted items to be the funnest to make. I'll pause my current stuff then until we hear from them about it. Thanks.

35. Post #35
    February 2014
    50 Posts
    I made this last year but feel free to use as a Halloween costume for heavy! (Based on Captain Qwark from ratchet and clank.)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Dennab
    May 2016
    229 Posts

My current album.
    The shaman.... isn't that a HearthStone Reference on becuase how he dresses?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    April 2013
    2,806 Posts
    Given the attitude Valve has taken towards cosmetics this year, I anticipate we'll see a handful of new items in this thread, a bunch of existing items with updated thumbnails, and that's about it.

I'll certainly be participating, but not with the same enthusiasm from year's past. I mean normally the emporium starts getting into the Halloween spirit clear back in August, and we're already halfway through September. Valve hasn't even posted a workshop blog post like they've done almost every other year.

I absolutely adore the sense of community here; it's why I've stuck around for so long. But I'd be lying to myself if I said I was excited for this year's Halloween cosmetics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

38. Post #38
    Radaghast
    August 2013
    2,716 Posts
    The shaman.... isn't that a HearthStone Reference on becuase how he dresses?
    It's based on Thrall (From Warcraft, which is ofc on Hearthstone)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Fbr

November 2015
    15 Posts
    made a degroot reskin this year, complete with underworld and all the bells and whistles

Check it out!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 6Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    July 2012
    574 Posts

Might as well repost these.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari United States Show Events Agree x 4Artistic x 3Winner x 3Optimistic x 2Disagree x 1Friendly x 1 (list)