1. Post #481
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,510 Posts
    Diesel probably getting a straight pipe setup. One muffler broke at the seam and isn't feasibly fixable, considering it's an OEM that robs economy.
    Cheapest mufflers that fit are $50 each shipped, i have the pipe to straight it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Firefox United States Show Events

2. Post #482
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,609 Posts
    So I found out why there's so many Flex Fuel vehicles despite being less than a thousand stations in the entire USA for it, and the terrible fuel economy. For CAFE purposes, Flex Fuel vehicles only count the 15% gasoline content of E85. E.G. a FFV is 7x more efficient for the purposes of CAFE than a normal gasoline vehicle.

Also I put 3/4 tank of E85 in my car. It definitely pulls a little bit stronger. We'll see just how badly it effects fuel economy. If it's less than 35%, it'll be a net gain in money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #483
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    1,684 Posts
    If we were like Brazil, everything would be on corn. If we had engines designed to purely run on ethonal like ye' oldy days, we'd have some wicked engines. I'm talking 14:1 compression and shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Show Events

4. Post #484
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,922 Posts
    4400 rpms sounds stupid usually but a b16b redlines at 8500 so it's not as bad as it sounds and since I don't have a title for it it would probably end up being a dirt track car either way.
    I'd buy a second car, swap all the good parts to the one you legally own and jam a D15 into the shit car not even really bothering to fix it up. Pretty sure the actual CTR trans turns 4700 at 60 lol, like a 4.7 or 4.9 final drive or something silly. 8500 ain't nearly enough for a trans like that, I drove a LS with a B16A trans once and I thought the trans was a literal waste of money. It was kind of fun though, if you want something silly to literally just beat the piss out of that trans is great for that. Would be a total shame to hurt a B16B despite how much fun that car would be.

So I got myself a sad little '91 miata, all beaten to hell, mismatched panels, but the interior is super nice, engine has 90k with receipts for everything, fresh clutch master slave cylinders etc. All that said, I live in Massachusetts and want to use it for my daily so clearly lowering it is out of the question, so naturally I'm going to lift it 2-3", put some all terrains on it, put a lower geared lsd in the back and make it the jeepata/mionster. Y'all interested in this stupidity? Still have a few final things to do to it before I can go get it inspected and registered so not gonna be for about a week or so.
    110% yes.

Look into the HDPE cutting board spacer lift stuff, pretty sure you just smack the studs out of the top hats and put in longer ones for the most part. I almost did something like that to level out my old lowering springs.

Edited:

So I found out why there's so many Flex Fuel vehicles despite being less than a thousand stations in the entire USA for it, and the terrible fuel economy. For CAFE purposes, Flex Fuel vehicles only count the 15% gasoline content of E85. E.G. a FFV is 7x more efficient for the purposes of CAFE than a normal gasoline vehicle.

Also I put 3/4 tank of E85 in my car. It definitely pulls a little bit stronger. We'll see just how badly it effects fuel economy. If it's less than 35%, it'll be a net gain in money.
    Change your fuel filters more often and use good ones, E85's only big issue is terrible black chunky deposits or something like that. Read up on issues that Evo/Subaru owners have with it ruining injectors and stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #485
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,239 Posts
    I drive Dodges, do you think I give a shit? Lol.

Short Answer: Kinda

Long Answer: My Charger was a Pursuit model, so it didn't have any luxuries. It was just fast. Parts were hard to come by and it only got 20MPG. Plus insurance was $60 a month.

The Neon is faster. Similar to work on. Dirt cheap parts. Better gas milage. And $27 a month insurance.

I'm going to miss my Charger, but there's no harm in trying an SRT4.
    How in the fuck do you get better gas mileage than me with a larger engine with more cylinders, and get better insurance for the same car?

Also, my parts aren't that bad for my Charger. Believe me. I fucking know.

New axle and control arm for under $500 with labor for having someone else do it? Not outrageous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events

6. Post #486
    Dumb Americunt
    May 2010
    8,591 Posts
    That's awesome.
    Wait a second, are you in the northeast US? I swear I saw a post on one of the US MR2 groups for Bear Mountain or something with red and blue MK1s.

I'm still waiting on my motor to get done, didn't have time with the new job to rebuild the "new" motor I bought from Prime for my '86, so I have to sit on my hands until my mechanic is done :(

Hopefully this winter, I'll have it painted and with the good motor in it! Mine was originally that red so I've been debating going back to the stock red or going with a nice dark glossy black.
    Nope, Minnesota.

Edited:

Also, have this

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events

7. Post #487
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    1,684 Posts
    How in the fuck do you get better gas mileage than me with a larger engine with more cylinders, and get better insurance for the same car?

Also, my parts aren't that bad for my Charger. Believe me. I fucking know.

New axle and control arm for under $500 with labor for having someone else do it? Not outrageous.
    Lol. Uhh. V8 has cylinder deactivation and I drive like a grandma. Insurance is cheaper because insurance agencies consider Pursuit Chargers as a BASE MODEL SE (lol) while it's only a step down from an SRT-8.
    Parts are kinda cheap. As long as you do it all your self. I rebuilt the entire front suspension for $300.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Show Events

8. Post #488
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,239 Posts
    The pursuit doesn't have MDS though, I thought? And the SXT isn't considered a higher model really. Granted, I have full coverage and have never seen liability, so that could make up for that though.

9. Post #489
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,661 Posts
    Nope, Minnesota.

Edited:

Also, have this

I'm pretty sure I just saw this in imgur's user sub
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

10. Post #490
    Dumb Americunt
    May 2010
    8,591 Posts
    I'm pretty sure I just saw this in imgur's user sub
    Yup, it was weird because when I posted it it almost immediately alerted me that it was in the most viral category.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events

11. Post #491
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    1,684 Posts
    The pursuit doesn't have MDS though, I thought? And the SXT isn't considered a higher model really. Granted, I have full coverage and have never seen liability, so that could make up for that though.
    Nah, it had it. The way Chargers go is:

SE 2.7L V6 (GARBAGE)
    SXT 3.5L V6 (Okay)
    R/T 5.7L V8 (Good)
    R/T Daytona V8 (Yeah baby) <--- Same as Pursuit, Pursuit lacks interior, mechanically identical in everyway.
    SRT-8 BIGGER 6.1L/6.4L V8 (Spank me daddy)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #492
    CIPWTTKT's Resident Redneck™
    December 2009
    6,692 Posts
    Ehh, I'm looking for a daily driver that has fuel injection.

All of the old Mopars around Missouri are clapped out rust buckets. If they aren't rust piles, they're "THIS IS A RARE /6 BASE MODEL DODGE DEMON. I KNOW WHAT I HAVE, NO LOW BALLERS" $17K.
    It's also like that here in NWA.

Edited:

Lol. Uhh. V8 has cylinder deactivation and I drive like a grandma. Insurance is cheaper because insurance agencies consider Pursuit Chargers as a BASE MODEL SE (lol) while it's only a step down from an SRT-8.
    Parts are kinda cheap. As long as you do it all your self. I rebuilt the entire front suspension for $300.
    I need your insurance guy. My insurance on my Cruze is $240 per month...

13. Post #493
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,609 Posts
    Report on fuel economy with 3/4 tank of E85: Surprisingly excellent and the car pulls noticeably harder. I got 21.6mpg on the mostly freeway drive into the city, which includes a massive uphill grade. This was at an average speed of 75mph and included a couple of enthusiastic passes. Afterwards I took the car home on the backroads in an extremely enthusiastic manner and got 18.7 mpg total (not reset from the earlier number). Do note that the enthusiastic winding road way back portion was approximately 50% longer than the freeway, and I was pushing the car rather hard up and down hills. I even caught air at one point.

The enthusiastic portion would have been about 2mpg higher at most on regular gas, and the freeway portion would have at most been 5mpg higher. All told this means I'm saving a significant amount of money running on E85, have slightly more performance, and am producing significantly less emissions. I like this!

(For reference at the 76 where I got the corn juice, E85 was $2/gallon while gas was $3.17/gallon)

If I were to build this engine up with a blower and various other go-fasties I would genuinely consider tuning for ethanol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari United States Show Events

14. Post #494
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    2,567 Posts
    Well, as with anything fun, eventually the fun stops. The welding and grinding turns into monotonous sanding, lol. Sunk some time into it the last couple days.

Round 1 began

Working on round 3 when I ran out of energy for the night

I'd say we're about 75% there for major bodywork in the bay, I hope anyways. Once I get another couple hours of sanding in I think it's going to be time for a nice thick layer of primer and then we where we're at. Primer is great at bringing out the areas that need attention.

A little bit of free time inside and the HVAC boxes now look pretty good, I'm ready to stuff them back in at some point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

15. Post #495
    August 2011
    1,869 Posts
    It amazes me how much work you get done
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

16. Post #496
    My favorite NSA triggers are small pox cyber terror brown out
    November 2009
    9,875 Posts
    Well, I replaced my bent up trans cooler/ac condenser, started filling it up with coolant, and my high side was blowing up to 350psi and upward. Methinks I got a plugged up orifice tube or summin. Oh well, guess its another 1 hour drive with the window down. Ill figure out the AC later.

I even caught air at one point.
    u wot

aw hell, Im gonna have to try a tank of corn juice now. Maybe on the way back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

17. Post #497
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    9,233 Posts
    just found out the corvette museum in bowling green (2 hours away) has a fucking amazing track that they just opened a year ago. they're doing an intro to HPDE course in about a week. going to call my grandpa who got me into cars later today and hopefully we'll register and go down for it. he's been wanting to take his new Z06 out where he can push it and even if it is a memecar, my FRS should be fun enough to drive on the track (or maybe, just maybe, he'll let me drive one of his other cars... maybe the gen2 acr viper... but that will never happen).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Vivaldi United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #498
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,495 Posts
    So I just got an offer from a buddy of a buddy, he has a scrapped 2014 BMW M135i, that's a 3litre twinturbo engine, makes about 450nm right of the bat. He's asking 2500 euro for it, complete with everything. There's actualy a madman who went and swapped it into a E36, he said it feels way faster then a S54....going to seriously consider this...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Netherlands Show Events

19. Post #499
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    1,684 Posts
    If I were to build this engine up with a blower and various other go-fasties I would genuinely consider tuning for ethanol.
    Were you the guy asking how to install a supercharger on a SHO in the Taurus SHO Facebook group?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #500
    VAG Lover
    June 2010
    4,639 Posts
    What's hakentt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events

21. Post #501
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,495 Posts
    What's hakentt
    idunno either
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

22. Post #502
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    22,663 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #503
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    3,800 Posts
    So I got myself a sad little '91 miata, all beaten to hell, mismatched panels, but the interior is super nice, engine has 90k with receipts for everything, fresh clutch master slave cylinders etc. All that said, I live in Massachusetts and want to use it for my daily so clearly lowering it is out of the question, so naturally I'm going to lift it 2-3", put some all terrains on it, put a lower geared lsd in the back and make it the jeepata/mionster. Y'all interested in this stupidity? Still have a few final things to do to it before I can go get it inspected and registered so not gonna be for about a week or so.
    Flyin' Miata sells a 3" lift kit. You probably already came across it, but if you didn't, might be worth considering. I still think it's crazy, but the options are available!

Where do you live in MA btw? I live near the border in southern NH, so maybe when you're done I could get a ride along???
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 New Opera United States Show Events

24. Post #504
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,495 Posts
    guess the dudes name who swapped it is Hakentt, since he had a S54 before this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Netherlands Show Events

25. Post #505
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,609 Posts
    u wot

I didn't get air because of the ethanol, I got air because I went over a tiny hill at >70 mph. I was using that to illustrate how hard I was running the engine. The power increase isn't huge, maybe 5-10%. Felt like mostly torque was gained. Overall I'm very pleased with how well it works, so I'll probably use E85 whenever possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari United States Show Events

26. Post #506
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    1,684 Posts
    Well, I replaced my bent up trans cooler/ac condenser, started filling it up with coolant, and my high side was blowing up to 350psi and upward. Methinks I got a plugged up orifice tube or summin. Oh well, guess its another 1 hour drive with the window down. Ill figure out the AC later.

u wot

Forced induction and corn juice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #507
    November 2009
    9,875 Posts
    I didn't get air because of the ethanol, I got air because I went over a tiny hill at >70 mph. I was using that to illustrate how hard I was running the engine. The power increase isn't huge, maybe 5-10%. Felt like mostly torque was gained. Overall I'm very pleased with how well it works, so I'll probably use E85 whenever possible.
    Aaww shucks i thought that was totally implying that your 2 ton car went airborne because corn juice in the tank.

28. Post #508
    S.T.A.R.S Member and Honorary B.O.W
    May 2008
    2,309 Posts
    So yesterday, I got a chance to do some work to my own car for once.
    About a week and a half ago my rear passenger shock quit suddenly.
    Then, in the middle of said week I had to take a trip to gainsville which is about a 2 hour drive from where I am. Went to fix my roomates sisters car that over heated and shutdown, really more to make sure it wasn't dead as she just got a job doing catering deliverys. It was fine.
    Then beginning on the trip back due to a "takes it's job to serious" speed bump the shock jammed and went solid.

Well, it's gone now. Have some pics.

I beat the shock into submission with a 4lb sledge, a wood block and jumping on it 2 days prior so I could at least drive, it then worked when it wanted to. As you can see, it kinda just sat there.

Mo betta and no more floating.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events

29. Post #509
    November 2009
    9,875 Posts
    fuckity shit, why cant anything i own not break?
    My crown vic started overheating, because the fan wont turn on. So, i turned around and grabbed my trusty truck, and as soon as i got to my destination an hour away, it blows a coolant line going to the heater core, spilling half of my carfully mixed coolant all over the street. now i gotta find a hose to replace it tomorrow. Why is everything breaaaakiiiiiiiing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

30. Post #510
    VAG Lover
    June 2010
    4,639 Posts
    fuckity shit, why cant anything i own not break?
    My crown vic started overheating, because the fan wont turn on. So, i turned around and grabbed my trusty truck, and as soon as i got to my destination an hour away, it blows a coolant line going to the heater core, spilling half of my carfully mixed coolant all over the street. now i gotta find a hose to replace it tomorrow. Why is everything breaaaakiiiiiiiing?
    When ever I have somthing break I think "well atleast I know how to fix it and not send it to a mecanic."

My friend is gonna get assraped for 1,200$ just for 4 balljoints and other A/C shit. Im gonna be ther for when he pays to make sure he does not get shafted too bad I mean that price aint too bad if you put all new fucking everything under the truk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #511
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    2,567 Posts
    All the sanding culminates in 15 minutes of paint spraying, lol.

It's actually lookin way, way better than I expected. Going to start sanding more tomorrow to see where we're at and when we can do the fun stuff, like real painting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 13 (list)

32. Post #512
    December 2009
    6,692 Posts
    Rate me late cause I deserve it but since I keep accidentally taking hiatus' from FP, what are you working on anyways?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #513
    November 2009
    9,875 Posts
    When ever I have somthing break I think "well atleast I know how to fix it and not send it to a mecanic."

My friend is gonna get assraped for 1,200$ just for 4 balljoints and other A/C shit. Im gonna be ther for when he pays to make sure he does not get shafted too bad I mean that price aint too bad if you put all new fucking everything under the truk.
    Well yeah, hopefully the fitting on the passenger head isnt fucked up. If thats fine, its just a 4 foot chunk of heater hose and two hoseclamps to replace, easy peasy. What pisses me off is that i just got the coolant dca mix perfect last flippin month. Now i dont know how much coolant came out, and im gonna have to guesstimate how much dca to put in and use another test strip.

Idk i guess thats not really a problem, im just annoyed that the heater hose lasted through two roadtrips across the state in the last 2 months, only to explode on the day that 3-5 other things break on me.

34. Post #514
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    15,487 Posts
    Rate me late cause I deserve it but since I keep accidentally taking hiatus' from FP, what are you working on anyways?
    He bought two old rwd Celicas

35. Post #515
    December 2009
    6,692 Posts
    He bought two old rwd Celicas
    Dang!

I've been considering buying a directly imported car from Japanese Classics over in Richmond. It's only about $500 more than what they're asking to have it delivered to my door so it is very tempting.

36. Post #516
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    2,567 Posts
    JDM is the way to go if you've got extra scratch. I wish my steering wheel was on the right side, lol.

Check out this ad.. looks like a freaking steal.
    http://sheboygan.craigslist.org/cto/5794789912.html

$2k for a Datsun that isn't in (a million) pieces, damn. If it weren't for those dang Celicas that would be my jam!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #517
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    9,233 Posts
    Dang!

I've been considering buying a directly imported car from Japanese Classics over in Richmond. It's only about $500 more than what they're asking to have it delivered to my door so it is very tempting.
    i want the sick as fuck modded beat they have on there right now. and the cbr250rr they just listed today. those guys have some great stuff in their inventory
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Vivaldi United States Show Events

38. Post #518
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    818 Posts

Just got it today. First time owning/driving manual. Wish me luck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10 (list)

39. Post #519
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,344 Posts
    Mounted my new V2 lip today. Fitment was perfect, and I'm very happy with it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 7Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #520
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,926 Posts
    Are you trying to make the license plate resemble the shape and placement of a Hitler 'stache on purpose?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)