1. Post #1
    July 2013
    1,292 Posts

(there, a hastily made banner and the like)

Collecting! It's a hobby that has been around for many centuries. Maybe you've had a collection of something or another, maybe your friend has, no matter what you've likely at least seen a collection and know what it is. You can collect virtually anything (But don't go crying if you get arrested for "collecting" other people's property) and chances are, somewhere in the world, if it exists there's a collection of it.

Starting Out: It can be easy or hard a collection, it really depends on the objects you're collecting. It's one thing if you're collecting different types of tree leaves or fancy looking rocks, its another thing to be collecting rare vintage comic books or WWI plane parts. However, with time and dedication (and a little bit of money investment in a lot of cases) you can start a worthy collection to show off to all your friends. Or hoard in your closet, either way works.

First steps into starting up your collection of course includes figuring out what you're after and how you're gonna find it. A lot of good things can be found on Ebay, the largest online auction house you'll find. It has plenty of people looking to sell their items of a variety of nature, all you have to do is look. Another potentially helpful source is a local antiques store, or if you're looking for comic books or trading cards, a comic shop. They can be prime pickings for whatever you're after, and sometimes they might not know what they actually have on their hands. But make sure you do YOUR research. A lot of times collectible items can be counterfeited or reproductions. You don't wanna go spending a lot on a rare book that turns out to just be a reprint.

On from there is the storage and protection of whatever you're collecting. Maybe if you're collecting something more sturdy like bricks or rocks you won't need a protective case, but chances are you'll want at least a display case. It's usually no hard task to find a generic case for whatever you're collecting, and in some cases there are ones made specifically for the thing you're collecting (i.e specific types of coins). At the very least, its best to keep your collection stored in a stable environment. After all, nobody really wants to see the wet pieces of cardboard you once called your yu-gi-oh collection because you left it in the leaky attic. A plastic bin can be a suitable container for most things with proper protection, like plates in a paper wrap.

And in the end just get out there and start collecting. Nobody but you dictates what you're after. It doesn't matter the type of item you're collecting, the quality or the value: As long as it satisfies you to collect it, it is worth it.

And one final note: Make sure you don't go overboard with your collection. Picking up an object or two when you can afford it is fine, go right ahead, but if you start buying up more than you can afford and then sell off the T.V to pay for that vintage tire you might want to take it easy for a while. Let collecting be your hobby, not your obsession or your life.

Anyways, what got me to make this thread was today my father decided it would be funny to give me 100$ in presidential coins because we play D&D together and its like gold and all that. I unfortunately took notice to how nice they looked, all golden, and I already have another state quarter collection sitting in my closet that I need to do something with. So I flipped a George Washington: Heads I collect, tails i don't. Well i dropped Washington on the floor, so I instead flipped Adams and it was heads. Now I'm after presidential coins. I currently have 17 out of the first 20 with another one already on the way. Anyone else have some nice collections to show off?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    14,807 Posts
    It's not huge or anything but I used to collect Game and Watches. After I got Climber and Zelda, which were my holy grails, I decided to not pump any more money into it since it wasn't cheap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    July 2013
    1,292 Posts
    It's not huge or anything but I used to collect Game and Watches. After I got Climber and Zelda, which were my holy grails, I decided to not pump any more money into it since it wasn't cheap.
    Jesus, looking into some of them they can get pretty pricey. Funny how a lot of older, inconsequential things like game & watches that only have a single game can be worth more than the handheld consoles that came later than it with a vast library of games. But that's collecting.

4. Post #4
    December 2012
    1,563 Posts

I pretty casually collect hot wheels, mainly as a car enthusiast though. I was really excited when this line finally got carried by my local stores, these are some of my favorite cars. I did buy one set on eBay though so now that I have two I'll probably wait and sell the other once they're discontinued.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Dosen't need a bigger avatar
    April 2010
    2,734 Posts
    I'm currently collecting bootleg Lego minifigs, since they're cheap enough for me to buy a couple a week, my local stores stock changes every month or so and they make minifigs that don't exist in real lego.

The only figures designed by Lego in the front row is Galactus and Dr. Doom
    (The back row is my official figs)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    July 2013
    1,292 Posts

That's the state quarter collection I have in my closet, I spent years helping my grandmother put two of those sets together, and now I have both. I figure I'll eventually put up one and then figure out what to do with the other later.

And those are 17 of the 40 coins i'm after now. I'm no major stickler for 100% perfect quality, but I know that John Tyler and Franklin Pierce can do with a revamp, so i'm likely going to get new ones of them. I also have Nixon and Zach Taylor on the way, and I'll have to get a case to hold all of them too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,675 Posts
    I collect antiques. Nothing in particular. They're too big and too numerous to have all in one picture, so here are some random pictures off my imgur.

... and much more. The wrinkly book up there was printed in 1771. The pocket watch (white face, no case) was made in 1860 and still runs. The other two watches are a German Wehrmacht soldier's wristwatch and a Soviet-made stopwatch from the 50s.

A fan from the 50s...

And a fan from the 30s helping me cheat in GTA 5 (ages ago).

A 1920s cigar box with some amusing health reassurances.

By far the oldest manmade thing I own is this Roman signet ring dating to around 50 AD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 13 (list)

8. Post #8
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    14,807 Posts
    I collect antiques. Nothing in particular. They're too big and too numerous to have all in one picture, so here are some random pictures off my imgur.
    ... and much more.
    Your sabres are making me extremely jealous. Not to mention that Mauser. All of that stuff is really cool, I'd love to have most of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,675 Posts
    Your sabres are making me extremely jealous. Not to mention that Mauser. All of that stuff is really cool, I'd love to have most of it.
    Thanks! The wristbreaker is a repro (and not a particularly good one), but the Uhlan sabre is the real deal.

Not in super good shape, but it's a really neat piece.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    July 2013
    1,292 Posts
    I'm currently collecting bootleg Lego minifigs, since they're cheap enough for me to buy a couple a week, my local stores stock changes every month or so and they make minifigs that don't exist in real lego.
    The only figures designed by Lego in the front row is Galactus and Dr. Doom
    (The back row is my official figs)
    I also have a love of Lego collecting

I've collected only some of the actual minifigures, but the ones on the bottom are all my lego recreations of my D&D characters. The blondie on the left is my attempt at recreating the VGA Quest For Glory hero (I played that game a lot when I was younger).

Couldn't find the puke green pants with black boots, but what I have does it for me.

I also just in general collect sets and even a lot of my own creations. I used to just tear apart lego sets when I was younger, but now I keep most of them together. They sit in either the shelves on my desk or the big shelf on my desk thats in the picture.

11. Post #11
    July 2016
    26 Posts
    A couple nights ago my friend told me something that I'll never forget.

"I used to collect bowling balls, except I only had one."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    July 2012
    1,113 Posts
    I collect Militaria. My main intrests are German, US and British things, but I collect will anything.

All of it in this album, saying what everything is too: http://imgur.com/a/hFq8d?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    March 2013
    1,312 Posts
    I collect 1:43 scale models of soviet cars:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Opera Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    12,105 Posts
    I've been collecting Wonder 3 stuff recently. It started with me just ordering 2/3rd of the Tezuka Complete Works edition (Because I couldn't find book 2 on it's own) on Amazon, but then I bought all available episodes of the incredibly rare English dub on DVD. The discs are reproductions cleaned up from off-air recordings, as it never saw home release and the film reels are lost so this is the only way for me to watch it in English.

I only have one DVD at the moment because I wasn't sure about the seller even if he was dealing through PayPal. The rest should be arriving in the mail in the next few days if not today.

Mainly I want to collect the different editions of the manga for the different cover art variants.

EDIT: I got the rest of the DVDs. Every episode found in English.

Checking out Yahoo Auctions Japan for shit, and while I've found a metric fuckload of old merchandise it also costs a metric fuckload. It doesn't help that when it comes to canon color schemes (As both manga and anime are B/W), Mushi Productions took the JoJo option of "All the colors", even among the same items.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    July 2008
    1,076 Posts
    I collect PlayStation 1 games/hardware

Here are some of my main/rarest items:

A slightly outdated photo of most of my games

My set of original PS1 development hardware

My 10 million model PS1

All the available ps1 colour variations

Not really my kinda thing but came across it very cheap, a PS2 TOOL
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 17 (list)

16. Post #16
    I tried to pay a prostitute for a hug, but she turned me down because I'm a huge faggot.
    July 2010
    3,175 Posts
    I've been looking for a 10 million model for ages, also I really need a blue controller for my debug kit. Great collection! Also, I need that scph-5903 fuck!

17. Post #17
    July 2013
    1,292 Posts

Taylor and Nixon have come in, that means its 19 down, 20 to go. I also have an actual holder en route for them so that I have somewhere to put them that's not just a tower stack on my desk.

18. Post #18
    nanomachines
    August 2013
    8,156 Posts
    I collect masks, and have been since late 2014. Here's a couple different stages of the collection.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 8Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    July 2008
    1,076 Posts
    I sure hope those aren't in your bedroom, I'd never be able to sleep with a wall of those staring at me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

20. Post #20
    July 2012
    704 Posts
    I sure hope those aren't in your bedroom, I'd never be able to sleep with a wall of those staring at me
    C'mon, there's nothing scary about Slipknot!

21. Post #21
    July 2012
    1,113 Posts
    Love that poster, is it an original marketing poster or something?

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,582 Posts
    My set of original PS1 development hardware

Ahhhh I want to start collecting PS1/PS2 stuff. I still have a fair bit of PS2 items from my childhood but not a lot of PS1.

Out of curiosity how much would you say a PS1 with a parallel port would cost In Australia? I would like to get one and use a PSIO with it. Also, do you use the dev kit stuff or is it just for collection sake?

23. Post #23
    July 2008
    1,076 Posts
    Love that poster, is it an original marketing poster or something?
    Yeah, I found a guy in my city who collects/sells vintage music posters, he said he remembered some game posters coming into his collection at one point so I asked him to keep an eye out while sorting through, he got back to me a week later with a stack of original storefront posters. I got posters for Silent Hill, Wipeout 2097, Tekken 3, Time Crisis, Tombi, Bomberman and Crash Bandicoot.

They're mostly huge too, slightly larger than A1, I have the Silent Hill one framed above my TV

Edited:

Ahhhh I want to start collecting PS1/PS2 stuff. I still have a fair bit of PS2 items from my childhood but not a lot of PS1.

Out of curiosity how much would you say a PS1 with a parallel port would cost In Australia? I would like to get one and use a PSIO with it. Also, do you use the dev kit stuff or is it just for collection sake?
    You could easily get one for like 15 - 20 bucks, the PSIO on the other hand is the hard bit to get I've been waiting for ages to get one but every time new stock goes up they sell out in seconds.

I've got all the hardware installed in a PC and up and running with software, I've played around with the demos a little bit and even played a few retail games on it. I'd love to do some actual gamedev on it but I don't currently have much time to do so. Definitely in the future though, it'd be a waste not to use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    I tried to pay a prostitute for a hug, but she turned me down because I'm a huge faggot.
    July 2010
    3,175 Posts
    Alright I'll post a few things I own/owned!

The Yaroze is complete in box with the software kit, I als have a green debug kit now.

I once bought 150 gameboys for 300 euro's!

Ultra rare ps1 rental unit, only 200 made. Insane quality thing, I have two of these!

A box of new Gameboy's!

My great great grandfather's WWI medals;

Here are some of my thrift/ flea market finds;

One of my best finds ever, silver US parawings from WWII, I bought these for 1 euro..

17th and 18th century books;

A 17th century map of Normandy;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events Winner Winner x 16 (list)

25. Post #25
    LSK
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,573 Posts
    really cool stuff
    You have the coolest things!

I'm so jealous it's not even funny. How did you find most of this?

Edited:

Wait a minute are you the guy from the thrift shopping thread that can just walk into a Goodwill and find the holy grail if you wanted to?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,675 Posts
    You have the coolest things!

I'm so jealous it's not even funny. How did you find most of this?

Edited:

Wait a minute are you the guy from the thrift shopping thread that can just walk into a Goodwill and find the holy grail if you wanted to?
    That's him and I will destroy him

Edited:

Honestly someone could make a killing exporting European thrift finds to the US. You can get really, really historic items for dirt cheap in Europe that are worth hundreds or thousands in the US.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    July 2010
    3,175 Posts
    The coolest stuff I found came from flea markets, I don't get as lucky at thrift shops. Although I've found some real gems At shops. I'll post some more of my stuff later!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Belgium Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    ===
    This was a waste of $1
    December 2011
    1,370 Posts
    A bit of my vintage camera collection:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,631 Posts

..The Yaroze is complete in box with the software kit, I als have a green debug kit now...
    that yaroze is sick, have you ever tried to make anything for it?

30. Post #30
    September 2010
    1,797 Posts
    I've got a sizeable currency collection from around the world, name a country and I'll post what I have.

Otherwise I'll just post some of the cool stuff tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    September 2010
    1,797 Posts
    Buffalo Nickel

Indian Head pennies from 1900 and 1882, and two steel pennies from 1943.

Parking Tokens, and other no cash value coins.

Three British Pennies, and an Egyptian bill thats been through hell.

Three French cent pieces, the two on the left weigh pretty much nothing, and two US Dimes, the one on the right I do believe has Mercury on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,740 Posts

I pretty casually collect hot wheels, mainly as a car enthusiast though. I was really excited when this line finally got carried by my local stores, these are some of my favorite cars. I did buy one set on eBay though so now that I have two I'll probably wait and sell the other once they're discontinued.
    woah hot wheels made j-classics? i never heard of this one before

33. Post #33
    February 2013
    10,877 Posts
    It was the first set for the new Car Culture line, which is a new premium collector line. In the 2017 mainlines they'll have Justin Lin's personal Datsun 240 and the Fairchild too.

34. Post #34
    December 2012
    1,563 Posts
    It was the first set for the new Car Culture line, which is a new premium collector line. In the 2017 mainlines they'll have Justin Lin's personal Datsun 240 and the Fairchild too.
    It's actually Sung Kang's 240z, the FuguZ, I'm hype for those as well as more Magnus Walker releases. But yeah, all of the car culture lines are awesome, track em down if you can. I don't care for the trucks line, and haven't gotten the last two Euro Style ones but the new line coming out, Track Day, looks sick.

35. Post #35
    July 2008
    1,076 Posts
    Here are a few more of my playstation collection pieces to get the thread moving again a bit

Press kit for the original Spyro The Dragon

A weird piece of hardware that saves games to floppy disks instead of memory cards, I like to stick to official sony stuff but I love how obscure this thing is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

36. Post #36
    nanomachines
    August 2013
    8,156 Posts
    Bumping the thread since I got a new score lined up, will definitely be sure to take some nice photos of it when it arrives.

Very excited.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    5,535 Posts
    Well, here is my rather small gba boxed collection, I have tons of GBA games but those are the ones I managed to get the boxes (with all of the manuals and stuff) for in VERY good condition, besides the Earthworm Jim one that is.

Also got Final Fantasy 6 Advance, that's a pretty hard game to aquire these days, been looking for a boxed version that I don't have to pay out the ass to aquire though.

As well as one of my favorite collectors item, the Elder Scrolls: Shadowkey for the N-Gage

I also have a couple things that aren't in this picture, that I praise highly, which are my three GBA-101's, two of which are of the iQue Variant, which was a variant introduced to sell to China, because of laws in china forbidding companies to sell there without a Chinese company being the proxy.

I have a couple more things I collect persay, I'll get more pictures of them later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    July 2010
    3,175 Posts
    My latest haul!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,882 Posts
    I collect retro video game stuff, I have a lot of pictures so I don't know if I should post them or maybe thumb them, I don't wanna overload the thread lol

40. Post #40
    January 2012
    1,957 Posts
    I just found out that my mother collects currency

100 000 Argentinian Pesos ( not sure what year )

Ottoman Empire banknote

Russian (rubbles?) from 1909 and German Mark from 1910

She has plenty of different currency, i will post more if she agrees to show me them again. It was passed to her from her father.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)