1. Post #961
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,002 Posts
    The exception to that will hopefully be PSA and DDI; here are DDI's new offerings:

"Hammer Forged Trunnions, bolts and carriers - meet new AKs on the Block - straight from TN based DDI (Destructive Devices Industries ).
    According to DDI, they are even going to offer hammer forged barrels options as well ($50 upgrade), if those barrels will meet QC standards.
    Most expensive model, triangle side folder with cold hammer forged barrel option, is project to sell for just under $1k.
    DDI just stared production of those rifles, so expect to see them at your dealers in around 2 weeks."

Give me the side folder for under $1k and I will be happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events

2. Post #962
    Dennab
    July 2007
    1,197 Posts
    Wait so is Century arms ak47 the WASR I'm confused by what the WASR is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari United States Show Events

3. Post #963
    I love 1911's and Ruger
    October 2015
    3,616 Posts
    Its just going to be a decent gun that I take to the range and shoot and pretty much nothing beyond that. Unless I fall in love with the platform
    Then et what was suggested. Even if you only use a shit gun every other range trip, its still a shit gun and it wont be fun. Do not buy an American parted AK.

Edited:

Wait so is Century arms ak47 the WASR I'm confused by what the WASR is
    Cent arms has a couple including the WASR. Theyre pushing the C39 right now which is trash. The WASR is made off a Romanian military parts kit and not a shitty American made one. Get onw of those.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events

4. Post #964
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,748 Posts

Cent arms has a couple including the WASR. Theyre pushing the C39 right now which is trash. The WASR is made off a Romanian military parts kit and not a shitty American made one. Get onw of those.
    Not exactly; the WASR is made in Romania, shipped in as a single stack and opened up to double stack by Century.

Their C39V2 is ok, but the RAS 47 is an out of battery detonation lawsuit waiting to happen.

the DDI AKs are fine, and the PSA AK is running fine so far, but you can get the WASR or NPAP cheaper than either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events

5. Post #965
    Dennab
    July 2007
    1,197 Posts
    Can you post a link to a reputable website I can buy the WASR and have it sent to my LGS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari United States Show Events

6. Post #966
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    836 Posts

Clown caliber.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #967
    I love 1911's and Ruger
    October 2015
    3,616 Posts
    Can you post a link to a reputable website I can buy the WASR and have it sent to my LGS.
    Google is a thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #968
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,748 Posts
    WASR:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

NPAP:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

9. Post #969
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    836 Posts

Also this thing is great at clearing rooms. When you fire it the concussive blast and large muzzle flash will annoy or scare everyone else in the indoor range to leave.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #970
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,748 Posts

Clown caliber.
    Wow, sweetheart grips if your sweetheart was an anime waifu dressed as clown in americana...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

11. Post #971
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,864 Posts
    So between the two, NPAP and WASR, which should I get? Is the WASR worth the extra $80?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

12. Post #972
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,748 Posts
    So between the two, NPAP and WASR, which should I get? Is the WASR worth the extra $80?
    I'd say it is, because you get a chrome lined barrel and the ability to take regular AK furniture; Yugo AKs have neither.

13. Post #973
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,864 Posts
    Cool, definitely going WASR then. But that brings me down to my 3 options, vote now!

Zing: WASR 10
    Info: CZ P07 Urban Grey/Suppressor
    Useful: CZ EVO Rifle
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 3Zing Zing x 2Late Late x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #974
    Dennab
    July 2007
    1,197 Posts
    Next time you want to be a dick you can go fuck yourself first I was still unclear about the whole WASR in general I didn't know if it was a brand or a specific gun or what it was I wanted the link to the specific gun itself.

(User was banned for this post ("flaming" - GunFox))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

15. Post #975

August 2012
    210 Posts
    Why not an AMD 63 or 65?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events

16. Post #976
    I love 1911's and Ruger
    October 2015
    3,616 Posts
    Next time you want to be a dick you can go fuck yourself first I was still unclear about the whole WASR in general I didn't know if it was a brand or a specific gun or what it was I wanted the link to the specific gun itself.
    Not being a dick man. Youre asking questions that a google search can answer for you. You are on the internet which is the whole worlds cumulative knowledge all on one network. This shits easy to find out.

None of us mind answering your questions but we shouldnt be doing your shopping for you either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

17. Post #977
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    8,056 Posts
    I have a Yugo M70AB2 imported by Century, and it is so nice. I love to just hold it sometimes. The only complaint I have about it is the lack of an optic rail on the side of the receiver. Besides that (and depending on how you feel, the underfolding stock), it's amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 New Opera United States Show Events

18. Post #978
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,659 Posts
    I wanna get an underfolder some day.

19. Post #979
    What fun is there in making sense?
    October 2007
    11,182 Posts
    I don't like underfolders because there is no way to get a comfortable cheek weld on it. Sidefolders are a bit better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #980
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    14,420 Posts
    I held a Century Arms AK last month and fucking loved the feel, the wood was great and the pistol grip was so comfortable. I'd been saving up for a PC build but I'm thinking about putting it into a rifle instead.

I'm afraid Hillary is going to come in and place some federal ban on high-capacity magazines like California, Colorado, etc. have.... thoughts..?
    First bit of advice - don't get a Century Arms anything. They're notorious for peddling unreliable garbage.

Second, do you want an AK, or an AR? Being military, you're already passingly familiar with the AR, that cuts down on time spent learning to operate the thing.

The only real issues I can think of with the AR are A. tight tolerances combined with a direct impingement gas system and B. an underpowered cartridge. Both of those issues can be overcome with proper maintenance and ammo selection. Ammunition is relatively cheap and widely available, and, being widely produced domestically, isn't as vulnerable to future import restrictions as 7.62x39 and 5.45x39. Surplus 5.45, by the way, now faces a broad import restriction, as the 7N6 cartridge was ruled an armor-piercing round.

ARs carry a few advantages over the AK - they're a little over a pound lighter in the carbine format (ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain!), the fire selector/safety is sensibly placed and easy to manipulate, and the rear sight is placed much closer to the eye than on the AK. Most civilian models are extremely modular. Aftermarket upgrades are, of course, available for the AK as well, but that's primarily furniture. Going beyond field-stripping an AK is an involved process, and requires equipment generally found in a machine-shop. An AR can be completely assembled or broken down using hand-tools, albeit specialized ones. There are also a wider variety of different overall rifles available - you can get an AR built like an M4 carbine (it'll come with a slightly longer barrel than an M4, 16 inches is the legal minimum before it's considered an SBR), one built to be a DMR, hell, you can even get one without a stock, so it's legally a pistol (most people plan on putting through NFA paperwork and building those into SBRs).

If you're leaning towards an AK, the advantages are widely known. It operates on a gas-piston system, meaning easier cleaning. The tolerances are generous, slightly reducing accuracy but giving a boost to reliability. AKM models accept an inexpensive, hard-hitting cartridge, while AK-74 variants fire an exceptional projectile with similar ballistics to 5.56. As I said before though, 5.45 faces import restrictions. There are still stocks of 7N6 available, but those will eventually run dry, forcing you to rely on less common, modern-production ammo.

The rifle does come with a few drawbacks, however. I mentioned this when discussing the AR's relative strengths - the rear-sight is an antiquated configuration (a notch-type placed forward of the ejection port), though mounting an optic can reduce this problem. The safety is, in my opinion, hilariously bad. To chamber a around, you must disengage the safety. Disengaging it also requires you to remove your firing hand from the pistol grip, while the AR's can be manipulated with a simple flick of the thumb. AK's are also generally assembled from foreign parts-kits, making them subject to the frankly asinine restrictions of 922-r.

Consider your needs and wants before making a purchase, don't rush it. Take into account what you plan on using your rifle for, figure out what offers you the best fit.

21. Post #981
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    14,420 Posts
    I don't like underfolders because there is no way to get a comfortable cheek weld on it. Sidefolders are a bit better.
    silly Boris

when use stock that fold under, you will never need cheek weld

stock wobble too much for other than spray and cheeki breeki
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #982
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,748 Posts
    I don't want the AR platform at all. If I'm gonna shell out near a grand for a new rifle I want it to be something more unique. All my buddies have AR's and think they're the shit because they have some special upper or a different scope or whatever, I'm not really into that.

Some will want to rip into me for this, but I want something that's as much a show piece as it is for the range which was one reason I was leaning towards an AK with the wooden stock and such. I like 5.56 more than 7.62 just because of the kick but if I want to fire an AR I can ask pretty much half the guys I know.

I've always wanted an FN PS90, but I'm not sure I want to sink $1400+ into a gun right now.
    You'll love a 5.45 AK and there is available Wolf commercial ammo and some Hornady, less recoil than an AR in 5.56

The drawback to 5.45 AKs is that good mags are expensive ($25-50) and you'll probably have to mail order your ammo unless your LGS or a gun show has some.

Now that 7n6 import was banned, 5.45 is 23 cents a round, just like steel cased 7.62x39 and .223

There are some 5.56 Yugo AKs out there that have a plastic magwell adapter to take AR mags, which is great if you go shoot with your buddies or just want cheap mags.

Also cool, but more expensive, the 5.56 VZ-58 (Not an AK) with the same magwell adapter:

23. Post #983
    October 2008
    1,222 Posts
    $750 for a WASR

wow how times have changed. I sure hope they're not worthless shitheaps like they used to be
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Waterfox United States Show Events

24. Post #984
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,748 Posts
    That actually sounds perfect honestly. Do you know of any ones with the wooden stock and handgrip? I don't think I've even ever seen anyone with 5.45.
    Most of them come with polymer furniture nowadays, although surplus furniture sets are readily available.

Edited:

$750 for a WASR

wow how times have changed. I sure hope they're not worthless shitheaps like they used to be
    Compared to most of the crap available today for less than that, they're great.

25. Post #985
    Don't Worry, I'm a Marine
    October 2005
    4,449 Posts
    $750 for a WASR

Current production WASRs are actually pretty nice these days. And no, they don't suffer from the front sight cant anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events

26. Post #986
    Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!
    March 2008
    4,754 Posts
    isn't it just quite fascinating how US made AKs are mostly poop and garbage compared to the ones put together in the most outback factories in eastern europe?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 New Opera Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

27. Post #987
    May 2010
    1,059 Posts
    So I am getting my non-restricted license and I am thinking about getting a Marlin 336W as my first rifle.

Has anyone had any experience with this rifle, anything I should know before buying it?

The reviews I have read and the videos I have watched all say its a good reliable firearm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events

28. Post #988
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,659 Posts
    How will you ever be an African war lord with a side folding AK?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #989
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    5,862 Posts
    isn't it just quite fascinating how US made AKs are mostly poop and garbage compared to the ones put together in the most outback factories in eastern europe?
    mostly because US companies just dont get what an AK is supposed to be. They try making this super "superior" product, when the AK was NEVER designed to be a massively high end rifle. And then they wonder why shit doesn't work well. AK's aren't supposed to have massively tight tolerances, and when you build them to MASSIVELY tight tolerances, it doesn't work nearly as well.

30. Post #990
    Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!
    March 2008
    4,754 Posts
    So I am getting my non-restricted license and I am thinking about getting a Marlin 336W as my first rifle.

Has anyone had any experience with this rifle, anything I should know before buying it?

The reviews I have read and the videos I have watched all say its a good reliable firearm.
    Unless you are dead set on a lever action.. there is no real reason to get one over a bolt action rifle. They are per definition less accurate, much harder to disassemble and maintain, force you to use round nose bullets (unless it's a model with a box magazine, such as a Sako Finnwolf), and overall weaker action/mechanism.

Edited:

didn't the quality of marlin steep recently or am i mixing it with another murican lever action company?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 New Opera Norway Show Events

31. Post #991
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    5,862 Posts
    Unless you are dead set on a lever action.. there is no real reason to get one over a bolt action rifle. They are per definition less accurate, much harder to disassemble and maintain, force you to use round nose bullets (unless it's a model with a box magazine, such as a Sako Finnwolf), and overall weaker action/mechanism.

Edited:

didn't the quality of marlin steep recently or am i mixing it with another murican lever action company?
    marlin's have started to go up in quality. It's winchester's that are just a piece of shit.

32. Post #992
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,002 Posts

Beware, I'm not sure if Marlin has fixed their QC since the buyout. Inspect the gun at the shop, work the action, and check the barrel. The action will be a little rough since they've been cutting corners on finishing work. Give the barrel a pass with a wet patch of solvent then a few passes of a dry patch. Look down the barrel for any burs, chatter marks, or a rough chamber. Those are the only issues that have appeared with more recent production Marlin leverguns.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events

33. Post #993
    I love 1911's and Ruger
    October 2015
    3,616 Posts
    I held a Century Arms AK last month and fucking loved the feel, the wood was great and the pistol grip was so comfortable. I'd been saving up for a PC build but I'm thinking about putting it into a rifle instead.

I'm afraid Hillary is going to come in and place some federal ban on high-capacity magazines like California, Colorado, etc. have.... thoughts..?
    As far as like a gun ban goes, not sure how likely it would be. For a president, it would be political suicide. Politically speaking, Hillary is basically Obama, and not including propesed bills he supported, he actually increased gun rights in the US.

I doubt Hillary would present a gun ban bill at all, especially with a Republican majority, which will likely continue.

With that said, its better safe than sorry. Nows the time to buy before prices start hiking again.

34. Post #994
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    5,862 Posts
    As far as like a gun ban goes, not sure how likely it would be. For a president, it would be political suicide. Politically speaking, Hillary is basically Obama, and not including propesed bills he supported, he actually increased gun rights in the US.

I doubt Hillary would present a gun ban bill at all, especially with a Republican majority, which will likely continue.

With that said, its better safe than sorry. Nows the time to buy before prices start hiking again.
    Sigh. Hope I can get enough cash together for an M1A before November.

35. Post #995
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,864 Posts
    Shoot I didn't even realize CO had a capacity ban.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events

36. Post #996
    December 2009
    548 Posts
    Why do we hate the C39 so much? I've got one and the fit and finish on it is amazing. I know, anecdotal evidence and all that stuff, but I've run thousands of rounds through mine. Mags lock in tight, never had an issue. Every time I ask what's so wrong with the C39 after seeing "how shit it is" on /k/ and occasionally here, I never really get a straight answer. It's usually "w-well, it's an American made AK, so..."

It's funny how full circle we've come. WASR's used to be "canted sights century shit-tier swamp AK's" but in the past like two years, the WASR is now sometimes hailed as the best $600-$900 AK on the entire market.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #997
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,002 Posts
    Why do we hate the C39 so much? I've got one and the fit and finish on it is amazing. I know, anecdotal evidence and all that stuff, but I've run thousands of rounds through mine. Mags lock in tight, never had an issue.

It's funny how full circle we've come. WASR's used to be "canted sights century shit-tier swamp AK's" but in the past like two years, the WASR is now sometimes hailed as the best $600-$900 AK on the entire market.
    It has to do with it being made by Century, uses Cast parts, and it depends on the version. The 1st version had teething issues. The V2 is considered a decent rifle but don't expect to have surplus furniture fit it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #998
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,748 Posts
    mostly because US companies just dont get what an AK is supposed to be. They try making this super "superior" product, when the AK was NEVER designed to be a massively high end rifle. And then they wonder why shit doesn't work well. AK's aren't supposed to have massively tight tolerances, and when you build them to MASSIVELY tight tolerances, it doesn't work nearly as well.
    I'm not sure if it's just that, or the fact that they apply new age capitalist logic to AK building all to save pennies on the dollar for their bottom line.

It's a mixture of cheapening the build quality to save time and money and believing that AKs are just trash can rifles that don't need to be held to a standard because of their mythical legacy.

I think Century's problem may be that they have a quota system in place and just churn stuff out, and with a system like that, people stop caring about quality.

I can't think of an excuse for I.O. and how they stay in business; them or Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne/ whatever they are calling themselves now.

That and the difference between foreign AK factories and US factories is that most of them are or were state owned and run and have been doing it right from 1947 on wards in some cases.

39. Post #999
    I love 1911's and Ruger
    October 2015
    3,616 Posts
    Why do we hate the C39 so much? I've got one and the fit and finish on it is amazing. I know, anecdotal evidence and all that stuff, but I've run thousands of rounds through mine. Mags lock in tight, never had an issue. Every time I ask what's so wrong with the C39 after seeing "how shit it is" on /k/ and occasionally here, I never really get a straight answer. It's usually "w-well, it's an American made AK, so..."

The first WASR imports were garbage, and now theyre not. Simple as that.

As far as the C39 goes, like any cent arms product it has bad qc. You got lucky

40. Post #1000
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,748 Posts

That's what happens when mil surp barrels are banned from import because they are "scary machinegun barrels" that make regular guns into bloodthirsty child killing machines. So most of the parts kits have dried up.

That and they've sanctioned the two biggest exporters of AKs, Russia and China; right now we can get Molot Veprs (Russia), Arsenal (Bulgaria) Cugir WASR10 (Romania) Radom (Poland) Zastava (Yugoslavia) and I'm not sure if FEG AMD-65 (Hungary) is still being imported by TGI.

We used to have Russian Saigas and VEPRs, Russian (SGL series, basically converted Saigas) Arsenals, Egyptian Maadis (Made on exported Russian tooling), Chinese Norincos and Polytechs, Finnish Valmets and Israeli Galils (until the new version was made in the US).

So you can see that we're down to a handful of good AKs in the $500-800 price range (WASRs, Yugos, VEPRs), the Arsenals in the $1K-1,200 range and then the new Galils in the $1,800 range and the Krebs, Rifle Dynamics, and Definitive Arms AKs in the $2K-3K ludicrous range.

Those are just the factory built /custom shop, known quantity guns.