1. Post #2121
    Dennab
    June 2007
    8,436 Posts
    Actually that's the major thing that killed any interest I had in PokeMMO.

Since Gen 3, my top favorite thing to do when I reach endgame in Pokemon is to collect shinies AND legendaries. If a Pokemon game prevents me or cripples me from doing any of those two, no matter the circumstances, I don't have any sort of incentive to reach endgame.

But hey, to each their own I guess.
    Yeah to each his own. Think of pokemmo as a pvp oriented spinoff, not something to replace pokemon for you. This is more about being the very best like no one ever was than it is about filling your pokedex.

But yeah I personally enjoy the idea that a legendary can only be used by one person. You can always find that person and battle him if you want mewtwo, and having mewtwo makes you feel like a champion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #2122
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,603 Posts
    Are there any other good Pokémon MMOs around? PokéMMO and Pokémon Revolution Online both bug me in different ways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events

3. Post #2123
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,030 Posts
    when I was a kid I had no concept of type matchups or what any of the stats when leveling up meant, and as such I was stuck on the rival fight under cycling road in sapphire for at least a month
    To be fair that battle can be bullshit even if you have a good knowledge of type matchups and are regularly training your team. Especially if you chose Mudkip; Grovyle's Leaf Blade will tear your team apart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #2124
    Dennab
    June 2007
    8,436 Posts
    Are there any other good Pokémon MMOs around? PokéMMO and Pokémon Revolution Online both bug me in different ways.
    PokeMMO is the only decent one I know of. All of the other ones I've seen are cheap knockoffs and doesn't really use an actual pokemon game as a base. May I ask what's so bad about PokeMMO?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events

5. Post #2125
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    14,984 Posts
    As good as some of the pokemon fangames are, they still feel very much like fangames, in the most difficult possible way to quantify.

Some of you know what I'm talking about, I'm sure of it. Best I can explain it is, imagine you buy a knockoff of something that's normally really expensive or of very high quality. Not even a bad knockoff either, it's actually excellent for the price. You spend time using it and at first are really psyched about it, but as time goes on you start to notice things. A quirk here, some issues there, nothing that raises a red flag and stops you from enjoying it, but... Each and every time that happens, each time it swings even slightly away from the quality of what it's aping, you're briefly reminded that you're using a knockoff, and that thought just clings to you more and more strongly each time, possibly even after it's done with and discarded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

6. Post #2126
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    19,985 Posts
    I still want a 3d, open world Pokemon with ARPG combat along the lines of Kingdom Hearts. Basically little to transition between exploring and combat- wild Pokemon would wander around the word and you'd fight them right there. One of the core mechanics would be a Stamina bar sort of like in TES where attacking and moving recklessly would deplete the meter and leave you weaker both offensively and defensively until it regenerates. Slower, heavier pokemon would regenerate more slowly, but the large maximum amount would give them make them hit harder and take less damage to compensate for their reduced ability to dodge. The smaller, faster ones could regenerate, attack, and dodge much faster, but their lower stamina would make them take a lot more damage when hit, especially immediately after attacking or dodging.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #2127
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    7,723 Posts
    As good as some of the pokemon fangames are, they still feel very much like fangames, in the most difficult possible way to quantify.

Some of you know what I'm talking about, I'm sure of it. Best I can explain it is, imagine you buy a knockoff of something that's normally really expensive or of very high quality. Not even a bad knockoff either, it's actually excellent for the price. You spend time using it and at first are really psyched about it, but as time goes on you start to notice things. A quirk here, some issues there, nothing that raises a red flag and stops you from enjoying it, but... Each and every time that happens, each time it swings even slightly away from the quality of what it's aping, you're briefly reminded that you're using a knockoff, and that thought just clings to you more and more strongly each time, possibly even after it's done with and discarded.
    I would agree with you if there weren't STILL text issues in ORAS. For example the battle resort daycare girl doesn't ever use the word "levels" only "level". Hence "it has grown by 3 level".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #2128
    Tabasco Lord
    September 2005
    13,193 Posts

I get what you're saying however I think you should give the updated Pokemmo a try because it's basically FireRed/Emerald with a few tweaks to gameplay to fit with their MMO aspect. Plus playing with Facepunchers would be fun.

I have a few mods for my client that make the game look like this.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

9. Post #2129
    screamin 4 da gold
    January 2010
    12,968 Posts
    PokeMMO looks really fun. Who here actually plays it?

I might be down for playing with some of you guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

10. Post #2130
    Dr. Conro J. Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
    July 2007
    7,787 Posts
    To be fair that battle can be bullshit even if you have a good knowledge of type matchups and are regularly training your team. Especially if you chose Mudkip; Grovyle's Leaf Blade will tear your team apart.
    I'm starting a support group for that fight
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #2131
    Tabasco Lord
    September 2005
    13,193 Posts
    PokeMMO looks really fun. Who here actually plays it?

I might be down for playing with some of you guys.
    Well so far from Facepunch it's me, HybridTheory and Radio Flyer that I know of. We started off in Kanto and I can upload the rom I use for some of the mods/link you to some I've found to be useful. Totally down for playing with anyone from Facepunch as well.

For those who are interested here's a link https://pokemmo.eu/

12. Post #2132
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    14,984 Posts
    Leaked design-stage concept art of midday and midnight Lycanroc

Edited:

I wish I hadn't made this joke because now I can't un-see Renard Queenston when I look at the night form. FUCK.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #2133
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,603 Posts
    PokeMMO is the only decent one I know of. All of the other ones I've seen are cheap knockoffs and doesn't really use an actual pokemon game as a base. May I ask what's so bad about PokeMMO?
    Everything put it quite nicely. PRO has the same problem but larger.

Just as an example I find menu design to be extremely important in a lot of games (despite being barely important) because so many menus look amateur. HUD design too but that's more important.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events

14. Post #2134
    Tabasco Lord
    September 2005
    13,193 Posts
    Everything put it quite nicely. PRO has the same problem but larger.

Just as an example I find menu design to be extremely important in a lot of games (despite being barely important) because so many menus look amateur. HUD design too but that's more important.
    You can customize your own interface with the Pokemmo client as well.

15. Post #2135
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    14,984 Posts
    The point is that it should be much better than it is right from the start. Saying "it's kinda crap but you can mod it" is a kinder way of saying "they didn't put in the effort, so you need to instead"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

16. Post #2136
    Tabasco Lord
    September 2005
    13,193 Posts
    What it doesn't have is proper attack animations or sounds and that's what irks me the most.

Edited:

The point is that it should be much better than it is right from the start. Saying "it's kinda crap but you can mod it" is a kinder way of saying "they didn't put in the effort, so you need to instead"
    I don't think it's crap though I think it's pretty good, I was just showing off the mods I use and letting users know they can customize menus The mods don't fix anything anyways it just lets you customize the game. If I thought it was crap though I wouldn't be playing it or recommending it to anybody.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #2137
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    14,984 Posts
    Eh, whatever, it wasn't a particularly pertinent point on my part anyway.

Back on topic, I feel like pokemon fangames have some of the harshest expectations to live up to of any franchise I can think of. Everyone has their own ideas for the direction the series should go, new things it should do or old things it should bring back, and many will crucify you if you don't do those things exactly like they hoped you would, if you even do them at all. I'm a critic, sure, but I've seen how horribly brutal some people can be to pokemon fangame devs, insisting either it be made exactly to their whims alone, or that they should give up altogether. Even some of the huge team-built projects (that got so big PokemonCo put their foot down) wound up getting this same sort of violent critical flogging in some form or another before they even had a demo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #2138
    Tabasco Lord
    September 2005
    13,193 Posts
    -snip basically page spamming-

If any you want to add me and maybe start a team my IGN for PokeMMO is ArcNova

19. Post #2139
    that guy that wants to fuck the robot the most
    August 2009
    9,102 Posts
    At that point, Grovyle only knows Absorb.

That battle is actually pretty easy if you catch and train a Gulpin, found only on that route.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events

20. Post #2140
    February 2013
    10,858 Posts

Evolutions reprint on the left, original Base set on the right. Kinda bummed they don't even look similar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

21. Post #2141
    October 2014
    607 Posts

Evolutions reprint on the left, original Base set on the left. Kinda bummed they don't even look similar.
    Part of the reason for the major difference in appearance is because the reprint is based off of the original Japanese formatting for the card:

Granted, the reprint still has some differences, but it's much closer in appearance overall to it's source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #2142
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,017 Posts

Evolutions reprint on the left, original Base set on the left. Kinda bummed they don't even look similar.
    Hm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events

23. Post #2143
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,047 Posts
    On the subject of cards, are there even places to sell them? I bought for the first time 2 boosters from the "Ancient Origins" series and got this:

Apparently is 25$ or something like that. Also got a Goodra and Jolteon in holo form.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Spain Show Events

24. Post #2144
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,091 Posts
    Regarding the Pokémon Showdown tourney, is it going to be Singles or Doubles?
    I'm hoping Doubles, all the fun shit happens there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #2145
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,739 Posts
    At that point, Grovyle only knows Absorb.

That battle is actually pretty easy if you catch and train a Gulpin, found only on that route.
    Taillow works
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Indonesia Show Events

26. Post #2146
    July 2012
    574 Posts
    Taillow works
    And Beautifly and Dustox.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Safari United States Show Events

27. Post #2147
    January 2012
    1,779 Posts
    cool animation
       but that voice acting :(
    and lorelei's anime tiddies 

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

28. Post #2148
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,017 Posts
    Whos voicing Blue (Green?) he sounds so familiar.

29. Post #2149
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    24,859 Posts
    cool animation

i'll be honest that was pretty underwhelming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Edge United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #2150
    February 2013
    10,858 Posts
    cool animation

Really asking anything more than a cool shot is asking for too much in my opinion. I wasn't expecting any sort of amazing quality and groundbreaking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #2151
    July 2012
    574 Posts
    Do you guys think Porcupin (porcupine+pin) and Porcuspine (porcupine+spine) are good names for a pure Normal two-stage porcupine line? Or do they seem lazy because they're both just one letter off from porcupine?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Safari United States Show Events

32. Post #2152
    September 2012
    1,713 Posts
    Do you guys think Porcupin (porcupine+pin) and Porcuspine (porcupine+spine) are good names for a pure Normal two-stage porcupine line? Or do they seem lazy because they're both just one letter off from porcupine?

I'd say it's pretty alright
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

33. Post #2153
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    9,089 Posts
    On the subject of cards, are there even places to sell them? I bought for the first time 2 boosters from the "Ancient Origins" series and got this:

Apparently is 25$ or something like that. Also got a Goodra and Jolteon in holo form.
    You could always try Ebay but that can be unreliable. I just sold a 40 dollar Yugioh card on TCGPlayer with no issues a few weeks ago so you might wanna try there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #2154
    August 2009
    9,102 Posts

ABOUT DAMN TIME

DIANTHA MERCH
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #2155
    January 2014
    2,537 Posts
    -merch-

ABOUT DAMN TIME

DIANTHA MERCH
    That poor Gardevoir has her back twisted at a 45° angle
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Chile Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

36. Post #2156
    Facepunch's Resident Game Center CX Expert
    November 2010
    15,964 Posts

Evolutions reprint on the left, original Base set on the right. Kinda bummed they don't even look similar.
    I can't wait for the Evolutions set to come out, hopefully it has more than the base set reprints, would love to see some from Fossil, Jungle and Team Rocket
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

37. Post #2157
    February 2013
    10,858 Posts
    The Japanese release kinda bummed me out, seeing as how they only reprinted Charizard's line and not the other two.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events

38. Post #2158
    Dr. Conro J. Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
    July 2007
    7,787 Posts

ABOUT DAMN TIME

DIANTHA MERCH
    I don't support the breeding of teacup pokemon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 22 (list)

39. Post #2159
    Party in the USSR
    November 2012
    1,175 Posts
    Well so far from Facepunch it's me, HybridTheory and Radio Flyer that I know of. We started off in Kanto and I can upload the rom I use for some of the mods/link you to some I've found to be useful. Totally down for playing with anyone from Facepunch as well.

For those who are interested here's a link https://pokemmo.eu/
    I might actually try this out. See if I can get a friend in on it too. Might be good fun. Never really tried much in the way of fan made games before, with the exception of trying Storm Silver and the Black and White equivalents. I was generally shit at both and frequently got my ass handed to me. Made me realise how bad at it I really am if the actual games weren't so god damn easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Ireland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #2160
    August 2009
    9,102 Posts
    bad taste: the thread

also here's my pokemon sun/moon team

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 31Artistic Artistic x 3Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)