1. Post #921
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    12,757 Posts
    I actually went through quite a bit of different engines and workflows trying to get a hang of something other than Source.
    For Tower Unite in UE4 we use SuperGrid, its just a collection of static meshes with world align that snap to the 100 grid. Very nice for rapid prototyping and when it comes time for an art pass you just select all the primitives and export it from UE4 to one big FBX as a reference for your modeling program. Sucks that they don't have any power of 2 meshes though cause then it'd fit right into your source workflow

supergrid:

final:

obviously it's no comparison to bsp, but it gets the job done for me. (the meshes don't have UV's and you can't manipulate them other than scaling for non UE4 people)

here's another example in the process, art is still WIP as i've just started a couple days ago:

Edited:

when you accidentally pageking a source thread with UE4
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 10Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #922
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,364 Posts
    Honestly seeing level design workflows from beginning to end regardless of engine, really ends up inspiring me and making me want to keep trying to get out of this level design runt I've been in for years, can't figure out how to do the layout, and if I do end up doing a good layout and just boxmap everything, In the end I dont know how to decorate everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Bulgaria Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

3. Post #923
    June 2015
    80 Posts

bah had barely any free time these two weeks.

reference:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

4. Post #924
    Gold Member

January 2012
    2,460 Posts
    -wrong thread oops-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Turkey Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

5. Post #925
    January 2015
    25 Posts

Anyone know where I can find better space-themed skyboxes?

6. Post #926
    July 2007
    644 Posts
    Anyone know where I can find better space-themed skyboxes?
    How about a generator?

http://alexcpeterson.com/spacescape/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #927
    August 2013
    453 Posts

Finished up the second to last area on this seemingly endless project. Need to put props and decals in the sewers then it will be finally fully detailed. Then begins the nightmare of post work optimization. Thankfully, there are only a few areas with totally jacked visleaves. For the most part the map keeps itself relatively contained.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #928

October 2014
    93 Posts

The destroyed wall is from Mission Improbable. An HL2 mod done by the same guy who made Offblast for TF2. You can do a quick google search to find it so you can extract it's contents. I got permission to use the assets awhile back.
    Any chance you can share with me the file? I don't really know how to extract stuff, haha.

9. Post #929
    July 2016
    285 Posts
    I've always wanted to try source mapping, to make some simple little maps to mess around with. Like for gmod or something.

Where should i start?

10. Post #930
    I've got a bad feeling about this
    December 2007
    2,151 Posts
    I've always wanted to try source mapping, to make some simple little maps to mess around with. Like for gmod or something.

Where should i start?
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Your_First_Map
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #931
    July 2016
    285 Posts
    Nice, i had no idea this wiki existed!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #932
    November 2014
    1,477 Posts
    if you click Help in Hammer then help topics it'll also take you to the wiki

13. Post #933

March 2015
    26 Posts
    Tried to create a funny system to open chest for my Jailbreak map

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome France Show Events Winner Winner x 10 (list)

14. Post #934
    October 2011
    435 Posts
    Looks awesome! Could you provide some insight on how you did that? Been toying around with various puzzle elements, this looks intriguing

15. Post #935

March 2015
    26 Posts
    Well I used a point_viewcontrol to put the camera in front of this system, with a game_ui I move the metal stick, with a leftclick I "try" (just add 1 to a math_counter, then substract 1), and when the stick in the good place, it add 1 to the math_counter (and substract 1 if it's not), and then when the math_counter hit 2, it opens
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome France Show Events Informative Informative x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #936

December 2014
    5 Posts
    Thoughts?

The final version will consist of dozen of old soviet apartments in a motel complex. For now, It's just one room.

Every room will have its own feel to it, showing off how people lived there, through their own belongings laying on the floor, their furniture et cedera. Tried to put as much detail and realism to it as possible.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Slovakia Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 5Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

17. Post #937
    I've got a bad feeling about this
    December 2007
    2,151 Posts
    Thoughts?

The final version will consist of dozen of old soviet apartments in a motel complex. For now, It's just one room.

Every room will have its own feel to it, showing off how people lived there, through their own belongings laying on the floor, their furniture et cedera. Tried to put as much detail and realism to it as possible.
    Seems a little bright, () might want to tone the white light down so that the colors of the fire barrel can show through and seem necessary, and add some moodiness to the room
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

18. Post #938
    March 2012
    6,680 Posts
    Thoughts?

-snip-
    The walls and ceiling are beautiful but I feel the floor drags it down a tad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

19. Post #939
    April 2009
    468 Posts
    Thoughts?

That's a big fire...that would do a number on that room, let alone burn the place down. I have a bad (?) habit of rooting a lot of realism into my maps, so...I always consider things like this. I don't know if you can scale down fire, but if you can, maybe scale that one down a lot...or put a hole in that ceiling and a burnt ass wall (with holes if it's not 'made of' blocks.)

I'm just being nitpicky. But I do agree that the lighting is too bright. When it comes to the floor...I wouldn't say that you need to change the texture, but maybe mess it up a little more. Those parquet floors tend to crumble pretty easily.

Oh, and some gritty looking baseboard molding can help break up the sharp transition from wall to floor. If this is Source, I know for a fact that L4D2 has some good looking spraypaint cans in props/junk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #940
    June 2015
    1,553 Posts
    First map thing of the new year after spending the past few months animating:

Nothing too fancy, just a background object for a scene. Based off this bank in Warsaw, VA

21. Post #941
    August 2013
    453 Posts
    It's done.

http://imgur.com/a/zmJN1

Select shots for those who don't like clicking links:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 8Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #942
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,745 Posts
    Would you guys be interested in me releasing my Agroprom map? It was originally for a Gmod server but the owner is letting me release it separately.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

23. Post #943
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,473 Posts

I've made the mistake of making my very first mapping project the Eadu refinery from Rogue One.

It's super dark outside of the base and could use better lighting as a whole, but I'm fairly happy with how it's coming along

Only reference I could find aside from memory:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #944
    Not a Husky
    May 2012
    562 Posts
    My first time touch anything Sci-fi ever(The lighting is placeholder!):
    The hallways here are just modular pieces with no details added yet.

I also plan on making my own textures for this project! I've started one here:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 3Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

25. Post #945
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,473 Posts
    Those hallways were just what I needed to see, the way you made it look visually interesting is very neat!

Are you basing your custom textures off of images sourced from sites like cgtextures or is it completely homemade

26. Post #946
    Not a Husky
    May 2012
    562 Posts
    Those hallways were just what I needed to see, the way you made it look visually interesting is very neat!

Are you basing your custom textures off of images sourced from sites like cgtextures or is it completely homemade
    Only the last texture is mine, but it's largely sampled. All the shaping, and basic things are mine. If Had a better camera, i'd go to town though! Here are my layers just to show my work a bit:

I'm so new to making textures it took me like 6 hours of straight work

EDIT: Of course, thanks for bombing my screenshot steam...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #947
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    5,909 Posts
    Would you guys be interested in me releasing my Agroprom map? It was originally for a Gmod server but the owner is letting me release it separately.
    It's always nice to check out good maps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

28. Post #948
    October 2011
    435 Posts
    It's done.

http://imgur.com/a/zmJN1

Select shots for those who don't like clicking links:
    links
    I can't put it down exactly, but your maps scratch that special itch of using familiar assets in a new and interesting way, everything looks vaguely familiar, but also kind of different. The way you build up and detail your level is really wonderful, and at the same time kind of eerie, in a sense of something subconsciously being off, but not in a bad way. This map seems like a dream, or the mental projection of an imagined setting. I love it.

Any plans on releasing this to the public?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

29. Post #949
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,745 Posts
    It's always nice to check out good maps.
    Youll probably be severely disappointed. There are no sounds and a lot of stuff ended up being rushed, or is empty since it was made for an RP server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

30. Post #950
    August 2013
    453 Posts
    I can't put it down exactly, but your maps scratch that special itch of using familiar assets in a new and interesting way, everything looks vaguely familiar, but also kind of different. The way you build up and detail your level is really wonderful, and at the same time kind of eerie, in a sense of something subconsciously being off, but not in a bad way. This map seems like a dream, or the mental projection of an imagined setting. I love it.

Any plans on releasing this to the public?
    Doing an optimization overhaul currently since in some areas the FPS tanks to sub 60 levels thanks to my new favorite engine error decaloverflow. Once that's finished I might go back through it one last time, tweak an area or two and then likely push it to the Garry's Mod Workshop since there isn't really a better place for it. Originally it started as a prop hunt map labelled "Apartment In The Sky" aiming to be a sequel to the first garry's mod map I ever map which was also on the border of surreal, however as one can observe this map has taken two years to divulge from that path. I'll probably push it to the workshop within the month if I can get all the hints right on the first pass.

I think I'd assign the old Heroes of Might and Magic (The very first game) map 'Gringoland' description as my prime inspiration: "A strangely familiar place."
    To be honest, I think what reinforces the feeling you're describing are those quad lamps on the striped poles. When I first put the selection of models together and started pasting it over the map it reminded me heavily of poorly lit fake rocks at an amusement park. The same kind of, over the top feeling that's as you said, somewhat off. It could pass as normal but when you stop and stare all the cracks start to show, and in my case, decals.

The reaction you've described, really, thank you. It means a lot.

31. Post #951
    April 2009
    468 Posts
    sorry if you guys have seen this before, but I put a lot of love into this thing

but mostly because I made all the textures from scratch and, well...

also, mat_fullbright 2 is super helpful for working lightmaps, thought I'd share this as well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #952
    Why am i so obsessed with S.T.A.L.K.E.R....

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #953
    Gold Member
    January 2013
    1,501 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events Funny Funny x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)