1. Post #841
    I've got a bad feeling about this
    December 2007
    2,088 Posts
    Taking input:

Want some suggestions for use of free space in the upper right. Buildings are limited to three stories and should have a general purpose slated towards a feasible job. Also looking to replace the small park adjacent to the civil services building.

Also accepting suggestions in general.

2. Post #842
    June 2014
    258 Posts
    I have been having a ton of trouble with AI in my Half Life 2 ep 2 map, I was planning to open one of Valves maps up in the editor to see what they did, but cant seem to figure out how to do it, I was wondering if anybody knew how.

3. Post #843
    November 2014
    1,469 Posts
    I have been having a ton of trouble with AI in my Half Life 2 ep 2 map, I was planning to open one of Valves maps up in the editor to see what they did, but cant seem to figure out how to do it, I was wondering if anybody knew how.
    how to work with A.i or open a hl2ep2 map in hammer ? If you want to look at some hl2 vmf's in hammer to see how they did the A.i you could look at the .vmf's from here https://valvearchive.btr.pm/archive/...ource%20Files/ ,, if you need help getting an npc to do a certain thing post the problem here :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #844
    December 2007
    315 Posts
    Blocking out the terrain/layout of my bunker map. I didn't learn my lesson last time so I'm gonna fill up the whole grid again

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Netherlands Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 19Winner Winner x 2 (list)

5. Post #845
    June 2015
    1,545 Posts
    Taking input:

Want some suggestions for use of free space in the upper right. Buildings are limited to three stories and should have a general purpose slated towards a feasible job. Also looking to replace the small park adjacent to the civil services building.

Also accepting suggestions in general.
    Some slummy apartment complex like this for the free space maybe?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #846
    October 2009
    1,037 Posts
    Blocking out the terrain/layout of my bunker map. I didn't learn my lesson last time so I'm gonna fill up the whole grid again
    Yep, thats gonna be another mind blowing map made by you.

7. Post #847
    I've got a bad feeling about this
    December 2007
    2,088 Posts
    Some slummy apartment complex like this for the free space maybe
    Good suggestion, but I think we're good on residential. We're thinking maybe a big park or something if we can't think of any job-specific buildings to put in.

8. Post #848
    June 2015
    1,545 Posts
    Good suggestion, but I think we're good on residential. We're thinking maybe a big park or something if we can't think of any job-specific buildings to put in.
    Maybe a construction site then?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #849
    August 2013
    452 Posts
    For regular navigation, just slap down all those ai hints, since the ep's don't use navmeshes, and instead use the hints as the points that they can move between.

10. Post #850
    ForMod2013
    June 2009
    3,138 Posts
    Just for fun

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #851
    August 2013
    452 Posts

Doesn't have the forced AO so it doesn't look as neat. Anyway, surreal kinda not really trainstation entrance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

12. Post #852
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,725 Posts
    It's going to be very close but I think i have enough room on the grid to fit in all the major landmarks I wanted. (Keep in mind everything is at 50% scale)

and what it looks like at the moment, from the golden gate bridge to a very WIP Lombard Street (The orange section of road)

edit: added a few more streets and started on Ghirardelli Square (the orange building complex)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

13. Post #853
    June 2015
    80 Posts

had to take a break, my old pc (10 years old god rest her soul) was starting to crash costing me hours of work.
    so I built myself a new one!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 12Mapping King Mapping King x 3 (list)

14. Post #854
    May 2015
    16 Posts
    Remaking a classic WWII map for dod, can you guess which map I'm basing it on?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #855
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,744 Posts
    Is this thread still only for Source/Goldsrc mapping?

I guess its good to post some other engine content here then. Here is some stuff Ive been working on in UE4.

Added these after seeing it is welcomed

Also here is a material shader I made to change the colour of the paint on surfaces.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Mapping King x 9Disagree x 7Friendly x 2Dumb x 1Agree x 1Artistic x 1Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #856
    January 2012
    1,500 Posts
    I guess you can post here fine as long as you promise to make a source version or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Internet Explorer 11 Portugal Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Disagree Disagree x 7Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #857
    May 2015
    16 Posts
    as long as you promise to make a source version or something.
    u wot

anyway, I am remaking Beltot from Call of Duty 2 to Day of Defeat: Source.

Still building the rough layout, I hope that in a few days I'll finish the buildings and layout and start detailing everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

18. Post #858
    January 2012
    1,500 Posts
    Some people disagreed with him posting because it was unreal content, so I made a shit joke, sue me.
    Plus it's not like porting that scene to source would be that difficult, even if I was serious(which I am NOT in case you missed the first sentence) it would not be unreasonable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Internet Explorer 11 Portugal Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

19. Post #859
    May 2015
    16 Posts
    Some people disagreed with him posting because it was unreal content, so I made a shit joke, sue me.
    Plus it's not like porting that scene to source would be that difficult, even if I was serious(which I am NOT in case you missed the first sentence) it would not be unreasonable.
    m8, first he posted "Is this thread still only for Source/Goldsrc mapping?", and after users rated him disagree, he edited the post and added UE content.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #860
    September 2015
    154 Posts
    Making a train map.

I quite like my work so far, I have no real direction on this map.

The map can be seen in this video.

Much more to be done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 5Winner Winner x 3 (list)

21. Post #861
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    7,669 Posts
    Not so much a shit joke, just terrible execution of a shit joke.

Its also the last rule stated in the OP.

RULES:

Non source stuff goes in different thread

22. Post #862
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    1,659 Posts
    i don't even know why that's even still a thing, it's such a rare occurrence that it seems like a nonissue as long as you write a disclaimer stating what engine/game it's for. tbh most people don't follow the thread rules as is (or at least squeak in little exceptions like a non-compile here and there) and it's been that way for a while
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

23. Post #863
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,744 Posts
    To be honest I think all level design should be welcomed here, its not like different rules apply to different engines for how a level should look or be designed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

24. Post #864
    BJK
    December 2008
    1,759 Posts
    Some slummy apartment complex like this for the free space maybe?

Why did you post where I live
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

25. Post #865
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    7,669 Posts
    To be honest I think all level design should be welcomed here, its not like different rules apply to different engines for how a level should look or be designed.
    In all fairness There is a thread for this. Its not updated much, but its there...

Edited:

Don't get me wrong, i love the work done in other engines. But the problem is that its nice to see beautiful things be done in a 10+ year old engine, compared to a modern one. The problem is that techniques are different, and a certain level oof hackery is required to make source look good. UE4, Unity iits a whole different ballpark in terms in the way it works.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #866
    April 2009
    467 Posts
    Don't get me wrong, i love the work done in other engines. But the problem is that its nice to see beautiful things be done in a 10+ year old engine, compared to a modern one. The problem is that techniques are different, and a certain level of hackery is required to make source look good. UE4, Unity iits a whole different ballpark in terms in the way it works.

I love seeing non-source maps in progress, and didn't know there was an official thread for that, thank you. That being said, I love seeing them here too because I frequent this place, however you're right, getting things to look good in such an old engine does take a certain talent, and lots of love, and an uncountable amount of ctrl+s

27. Post #867
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,744 Posts
    In all fairness There is a thread for this. Its not updated much, but its there...

Edited:

Don't get me wrong, i love the work done in other engines. But the problem is that its nice to see beautiful things be done in a 10+ year old engine, compared to a modern one. The problem is that techniques are different, and a certain level oof hackery is required to make source look good. UE4, Unity iits a whole different ballpark in terms in the way it works.
    I just dont see a reason for there to be two threads in a non super active subform, when in reality there is no difference between them, just that some people dont want their work being shadowed by a newer engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

28. Post #868
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,843 Posts
    The mapping community has gotten so quiet, it would probably be better to just change to a general mapping thread then a Source exclusive one. Source is showing its age and, until Source 2 is properly released, there's not a lot of support for it anymore, which is probably why a lot of mappers who used to post here have moved to things like unity or unreal.

Like the last post here was July and only had like 6 posts through 2016. It's not exactly a thriving community...

Edited:

Stuff that's made in an old engine and is still cool isn't gonna get overshadowed, if anything that makes it more impressive and interesting. I remember someone posting a map they were making from the 1999 Unreal editor and thinking how cool it was someone was still doing cool stuff with that.

I just don't see the point of keeping these communities split anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8Zing Zing x 1 (list)

29. Post #869
    January 2012
    1,500 Posts
    m8, first he posted "Is this thread still only for Source/Goldsrc mapping?", and after users rated him disagree, he edited the post and added UE content.
    I didn't notice that, I saw his post after the fact, and assumed they disagreed with unreal stuff.

Not so much a shit joke, just terrible execution of a shit joke.
    Still a shit joke that should not be taken seriously.

30. Post #870
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    5,103 Posts
    Its also the last rule stated in the OP.
    That rule was there when that thread was actually active. Since the Mapping section kind of died, I see no point to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #871
    January 2012
    1,500 Posts
    I guess it makes sense, it would potentially make the thread and forum more active. Mappers just need to post what game/engine they are working for, and I doubt anyone will mind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Internet Explorer 11 Portugal Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #872
    October 2016
    85 Posts
    Yeah, as long as there aren't that many active users posting here, I don't see why we should make a big deal over maps from other engines being here. As long as its' clearly specified, it should be all right. I personally come just to see what can be done with the source engine. Since most people here are already into mapping for source, its' not that big a deal, especially given the fact that the other thread is pretty much being forgotten.

I think other engines should be allowed here, provided they don't become just as common as source stuff (if that does happen, than it should be enough to revive the other thread).

33. Post #873
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,744 Posts
    I dont see why there should be a distinction, level design is level design. Do people post in here to just show off work, or do they post in here as WIP and want feedback? This thread should just be a general purpose mapping thread. Everyone can commit and use the same feedback regardless of what engine it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

34. Post #874
    June 2015
    80 Posts
    technically this is the "carve" edition, so if your editor doesn't have a carve feature it isn't allowed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

35. Post #875
    March 2012
    6,680 Posts
    I dont see why there should be a distinction, level design is level design. Do people post in here to just show off work, or do they post in here as WIP and want feedback? This thread should just be a general purpose mapping thread. Everyone can commit and use the same feedback regardless of what engine it is.
    Only issue I have is source is an older engine with limitations compared to other engines, it takes a different skill set from Cry engine, Unreal and Unity. The challenges involved in making a pretty map are greater. I fear that if people posted stuff they made in other engines the source maps, even if they're high quality, may be over looked for (perhaps) technically less difficult maps which look prettier because they have access to better lighting, shaders and workflow.

Level design is level design but environmental art in source is far more limited than environmental art in say unreal 4 and when people post here its generally about environmental art.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #876
    May 2015
    16 Posts
    So yesterday, as I was trying to match the scaling of my map to the scaling of call of duty 2, an idea sparked in my mind: why not port the map from call of duty 2 to source, for easier scale reference? well so I did. The result was interesting, because I had to decompile the .d3dbsp map from CoD2 and script my own quark .map to hammer 3.5 .map converter, later loading it into Crafty and exporting as a .vmf.

This is a building that I got out of the converted map for reference
    it seems that the scaling is exactly the same as it is in Source (stair size for reference).

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Winner Winner x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 2Informative Informative x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

37. Post #877
    January 2012
    1,500 Posts
    Only issue I have is source is an older engine with limitations compared to other engines, it takes a different skill set from Cry engine, Unreal and Unity. The challenges involved in making a pretty map are greater. I fear that if people posted stuff they made in other engines the source maps, even if they're high quality, may be over looked for (perhaps) technically less difficult maps which look prettier because they have access to better lighting, shaders and workflow.

Level design is level design but environmental art in source is far more limited than environmental art in say unreal 4 and when people post here its generally about environmental art.
    It's kind of how I feel in regards to mapmaking. I have plenty of map ideas that would be much easier to make on the newer engines without source's archaic methods and frustrating limits, but I see no point in learning a new engine seeing as I cannot use the result in Gmod or other source games.
    I might as well just do things the hard way then.
    That's just my opinion though, take it as you will.

So yesterday, as I was trying to match the scaling of my map to the scaling of call of duty 2, an idea sparked in my mind: why not port the map from call of duty 2 to source, for easier scale reference? well so I did. The result was interesting, because I had to decompile the .d3dbsp map from CoD2 and script my own quark .map to hammer 3.5 .map converter, later loading it into Crafty and exporting as a .vmf.

This is a building that I got out of the converted map for reference
    it seems that the scaling is exactly the same as it is in Source (stair size for reference).

That's amazing. You think it would be possible to decompile from newer cods? Like World at War?

38. Post #878
    May 2015
    16 Posts
    So remaking it by reference, this is my result of converting a map from CoD2

Edited:

That's amazing. You think it would be possible to decompile from newer cods? Like World at War?
    Yes it is possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Winner Winner x 11Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

39. Post #879
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,744 Posts

I dont understand then, so you just use this thread to only show off your work then? I thought this is a pimpage thread, to both show off your work and get feedback. Level design/ environmental design feedback is engine agnostic, what applies to one engine applies to all engines, the methods might just differ.

Im not sure why some people wouldnt want progression in this thread, imagine if it was only for GoldSrc maps and people didnt want you to post Source maps "because everythings easier" with Source. To me it just doesnt make any sense. Its not like because other engines are being posted it suddenly invalidates the work youve put into your map, people here will still understand the effort that it takes to make a Source map look good, and that effort isnt diminished by the work of another engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

40. Post #880
    January 2012
    1,500 Posts
    Well given how many people in this forum are Gmod players, it makes sense to showcase maps they can use.

Still, I advocate merging the mapping threads. It's not that big of a deal in the end.