1. Post #1881
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    6,511 Posts
    some radio towers in the valley
    the mood is pleasing, I am distracted by the following though - the random textured bits on the river, the forcefully odd cloud shapes and the tangent between the tree and the furthest-off tower

Hey, I hope this sorta post isn't frowned upon, but a friend of mine does some really nice stuff.
    a little album of some of her works
    her art blog here
    I don't frown upon it but it's rather pointless as far as I can see, there aren't enough people here for her to get followers from the plug and nobody's likely to say anything about the art because she isn't on the forum to participate

ed.
    page king, alright alright

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 15Winner Winner x 5Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #1882
    December 2012
    4,663 Posts
    -zelda pics-
    ugh god these look fantastic! i wasn't huge on the zelda drawing you posted a while back but this follow up is incredible, love the detail and the way you did the colors
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

3. Post #1883
    April 2015
    160 Posts

I've been doing some environments but they're p bad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11 (list)

4. Post #1884
    Ott
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,620 Posts
    I want that shirt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #1885
    February 2009
    14,615 Posts
    is anyone here good with photoshop? Is there a way to make a semi-transparent brush that doesn't multiply/get darker if you draw over the same spot? I can achieve the desired effect if I made a 50% transparent layer but if I want multiple shades then I need to make a new layer for each...

example:

each is set to 50% opacity

also is there a way you can "hide" select areas of a layer? Such as if you've drawn some construction but want to draw over it without erasing the construction you've done. Currently what I do is create a "fill" layer which is the same color as the background as a new layer over the construction layer but it requires micromanaging the layers which can be a pain. I can draw an example if that's hard to understand.

6. Post #1886
    August 2017
    351 Posts
    You should paint the value you want then colour pick it, it's the correct method.

7. Post #1887
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    6,511 Posts
    is anyone here good with photoshop? Is there a way to make a semi-transparent brush that doesn't multiply/get darker if you draw over the same spot? I can achieve the desired effect if I made a 50% transparent layer but if I want multiple shades then I need to make a new layer for each...

example:

each is set to 50% opacity

also is there a way you can "hide" select areas of a layer? Such as if you've drawn some construction but want to draw over it without erasing the construction you've done. Currently what I do is create a "fill" layer which is the same color as the background as a new layer over the construction layer but it requires micromanaging the layers which can be a pain. I can draw an example if that's hard to understand.
    on the brush question you ought to be using your flow slider as opposed to the opacity slider, depending on your brush it's good to experiment with the flow from 100% all the way down to 1%, but as a general rule the opacity should stay at 100% if you don't want the ugly effect you have demonstrated above

on your other question, this is the button to apply a mask

you can make a selection of what you want to hide or what you want solely to stay visible, and then click that to mask the layer. you can also just click it to get a clean mask (everything visible) and then paint or lasso or edit as you like to hide or reveal parts (it also allows for opacity)
    a masked layer looks like this

the way it works is as follows - opacity is dictated on the mask by value. White is 100% opaque, black is 0%, and you have everything in between. you can only paint in greyscale on the mask naturally.

the mask looks like this now

to switch the mask off, shift-click on it. right click it to delete it - you can also "apply" it, which means the cut off bits will be baked in and your layer will be just a layer again. it's a little bit unintuitive but pretty straightforward
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 2Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #1888
    February 2009
    14,615 Posts
    on the brush question you ought to be using your flow slider as opposed to the opacity slider, depending on your brush it's good to experiment with the flow from 100% all the way down to 1%, but as a general rule the opacity should stay at 100% if you don't want the ugly effect you have demonstrated above

on your other question, this is the button to apply a mask

you can make a selection of what you want to hide or what you want solely to stay visible, and then click that to mask the layer. you can also just click it to get a clean mask (everything visible) and then paint or lasso or edit as you like to hide or reveal parts (it also allows for opacity)
    a masked layer looks like this

the way it works is as follows - opacity is dictated on the mask by value. White is 100% opaque, black is 0%, and you have everything in between. you can only paint in greyscale on the mask naturally.

the mask looks like this now

to switch the mask off, shift-click on it. right click it to delete it - you can also "apply" it, which means the cut off bits will be baked in and your layer will be just a layer again. it's a little bit unintuitive but pretty straightforward
    that's actually exactly what i was looking for, thanks. Every one else I asked just told me to do what I was already doing (Using the background color to fill in the "hidden parts")

as for the brush thing, I'm just using some hard round brush that i downloaded off of ctrlpaint.net and if i turn the flow down all it really does is make the opacity lower while making the brush more fuzzy/blurry. It still has the same issue though in that if you draw over the same spot it makes it darker.

You should paint the value you want then colour pick it, it's the correct method.
    i guess now that i think about it you have a good point but i also realize what i'm essentially asking is a way to manually tint things with the brush. The advantage being you can just brush over a large variety of different colors at once instead of having to manually pick a color. For example being able to pick black then draw over an entire area to make it darker or tinting an area red etc.

9. Post #1889
    May 2007
    1,061 Posts

commission and trash
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #1890
    April 2015
    160 Posts

Buns feat. pirate
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 7Friendly Friendly x 4Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

11. Post #1891
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    805 Posts
    Several months after this issue threw me into a drawing hiatus, I FINALLY managed to get the correct drivers for my tablet, and have it work properly in Krita.

I am ecstatic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

12. Post #1892
    Gold Member
    June 2017
    430 Posts

Horrible, but only I have to show now. I made a long time ago when in paint, trtying each tool..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Japan Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #1893
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,659 Posts
    more watercolor sketching

somehow getting a smaller sketchbook made me draw much finer details
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 19Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #1894
    Corgi Enthusiast
    June 2009
    1,383 Posts

I've been drawing creatures like this on reciept paper and leaving them around the store where I work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 7Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #1895
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,296 Posts
    wip

My friends asked me to make them a snap chat filter for their wedding.

Kinda winging it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #1896
    May 2007
    1,061 Posts

munch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #1897
    May 2007
    1,130 Posts

Made a pixel art self portrait.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #1898
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,156 Posts

Made a pixel art self portrait.
    Looks pretty neat. Although, what's up with the noise on the nose?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #1899
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,659 Posts
    it looks like weird compression
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #1900
    May 2007
    1,130 Posts
    Thanks man! I don't know how that happened. Might be imgur but it looks perfectly fine on my desktop.

21. Post #1901
    February 2009
    386 Posts

Wanted to do pixel art again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome France Show Events Friendly Friendly x 9Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

22. Post #1902
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,156 Posts
    Fuck yeah Wallace and Gromit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #1903
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,284 Posts
    ~Thanks for the input, I'll try.~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #1904
    April 2015
    160 Posts
    Don't trace! You learn much more by observing and drawing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #1905
    October 2009
    331 Posts

Commission I did, they wanted flat colors so I went with a "Banner Saga" influenced art style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #1906
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    3,785 Posts

snek
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Friendly Friendly x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #1907
    December 2012
    4,663 Posts

wapow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10 (list)

28. Post #1908
    May 2008
    558 Posts
    Ultraman, my childhood hero.
    He just defeated a monster and the rubble caused by the fall almost hits the town, the more I look at it, the more I think that message isn't coming accross cuz it's too dark. Also theres something wrong with the town that I'm not quite getting, can someone crit this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Singapore Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #1909
    I may have a BIG dick but that doesn't mean I deserve a BIG title
    December 2009
    6,347 Posts
    Ultraman, my childhood hero.
    He just defeated a monster and the rubble caused by the fall almost hits the town, the more I look at it, the more I think that message isn't coming accross cuz it's too dark. Also theres something wrong with the town that I'm not quite getting, can someone crit this?
    Cool piece, it's good that you have a story going on - however to make sure you're presenting it the best way I would suggest doing thumbnails (if you're not doing them right now) and figure out as much as you can small-scale before you start refining it further - the pose of the character, the angle of the camera, the flow of the composition, value distribution - all that good stuff.

First things first, as you've already pointed out, it is waay too dark (the histogram here shows the values, leftmost are dark values):

What would help you out is to separate and kind of "value code" different parts in your image, so that you still have the full 1-100 value range overall in the image but not on each specific thing (so that for example the sky might be 90-100 value, trees 50-70 value or something like that) - this helps the shapes read well. Maybe try to pick only like 3-4 values for your thumbnails going from dark to bright and distribute them between the shapes on your image. Try different combinations and see what works and what doesn't before you fully commit.

Because I'm bad with words, look at how easily readable the shapes are in this picture (by caravaggio):

Also, after a quick google image search of night scenes, you'll see that the night sky is actually usually brighter than the ground, so you can either have it be bright and make the character dark overall to make him pop or use artistic license™ and still have the dark sky but make the value a lot higher on the character.

Next thing with it is that it looks kind of flat and because of that can't feel the sense of scale very well. We can fix that with atmospheric depth / fog, object overlapping and perspective:

(very crude but you can see how these values help with the sense of depth, but the focal points - defeated guy and the main one are still made distinguishable)

(just wanted to point out that the buildings in the city aren't all in the same perspective and how the same principles of perspective should apply to everything else, like on the character for example)

Edited:

and I would also make the buildings bigger since they're closer to the camera I think? I don't know
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

30. Post #1910
    May 2008
    558 Posts
    Jericho_Rus. Thanks!
    I get what you mean, seems the entire composition was iffy from the start huh. I'll try to rework it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Singapore Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #1911
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,837 Posts
    Been away for a while, and we got our creationism corner back!!! :O

and I've been slacking off recently, so here are two Fire emblem fanarts:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Ireland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Friendly Friendly x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #1912
    Corgi Enthusiast
    June 2009
    1,383 Posts

Gordons radiation-blasted face
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 9Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1913
    January 2011
    6,511 Posts
    they're sad because they opened the crate and their tomatoes were all squashed and old
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

34. Post #1914
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,659 Posts
    good ol maya drawing the SHINY girls
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #1915
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,837 Posts
    More shiny girls...
    A realistic painting of Celica (Same red hair girl as my previous post...)

She looks evil for some reason... hahahah!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Ireland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

36. Post #1916
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,659 Posts
    Hmm well if that's the same character I definitely think you should look over the face in the previous drawing, it's kinda asymmetrical and melty. Also very wide

In general I think you're really good at rendering but the actual drawings underneath could use a lot of tweaking before you start putting all that work into making them shiny

Here's a quick edit I made, it's not perfect but I think it illustrates my point

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #1917
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,837 Posts
    thank you for the C&C :)
    I updated the face a bit
    -snip- remove spamming edits...
    I think it looks a lot better!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #1918
    Corgi Enthusiast
    June 2009
    1,383 Posts
    Her nose being so thin makes me uncomfortable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #1919
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,837 Posts
    Yeah... the more I looked at her face... the more she looked like a ditto who can't transform its face properly...
    So here's the last edit on this pic:

I just redid the whole face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 3Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

40. Post #1920
    April 2015
    160 Posts
    That looks a lot better!

I've been playing with the idea of taking some simple sketch commissions on Gaia or something for a while, but I'm forever stuck in the stupid mindset that I have to get better first. Which means it never happens, ah.

lord give me some faith please
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)